• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

S1kkZ said:
game run smooth and looks ok (played 1 hour). solid 30fps.

awesome. good job Valve. also some props have to go to Demon's Souls, since that's the game Portal 2 programmers played a lot on PS3 (they said they played it for months), probably motivated them to do a better than average job on PS3 :)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
posted that message on my phone while listening to the credits ingame and started when it came out at 9ish so 9ish hours got stuck on 2 puzzles in chapter 8 but after i got past them breezed through it

gembel

I have a question, so basically the PS3 copy comes with 2 keys? Each key can be used for steam on PS3 and PC? Is that right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
gembel said:
I have a question, so basically the PS3 copy comes with 2 keys? Each key can be used for steam on PS3 and PC? Is that right?

PS3 version doesn't need a key. The included code is solely for redeeming the Steam Play copy of the game, that's it.

taoofjord

Jesus, the frequency of the loading is worse than Lost Planet 2... and that's pathetic. Loading after every single test chamber, when many of them can take as little as 60 seconds is insane. I really, really hope valve comes back to this game in the future and fixes this, because it's so very intrusive...

gembel

JaseC said:
PS3 version doesn't need a key. The included code is solely for redeeming the Steam Play copy of the game, that's it.

I already have a steam account, will the PS3 ver be locked to 1 account? Will my bro be able to play the PS3 ver using his account too?

And I assume the PC code only works with 1 steam account?

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm having a real problem with Vsync while trying to use a 360 controller, input lag is quite big when it's enabled, eliminated when disabled but there's a lot of screen tear. Any workarounds?

Ah, finished. What an excellent game, if a little frustrating with certain parts of the last levels.

All throughout, I was laughing. Awesome parts throughout, plus I loved the new end song. Great great great.

Although I'm gonna sit this game down for a while, I'm a little Portal'd out -_-;

taoofjord said:
I really, really hope valve comes back to this game in the future and fixes this, because it's so very intrusive...
Hahaha yeah like that whole installing issue got fixed in MGS4.
It wasn't.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
gembel said:
I already have a steam account, will the PS3 ver be locked to 1 account? Will my bro be able to play the PS3 ver using his account too?

Steam accounts are tied to PSN IDs, not PS3 consoles. It's the reason why you can redeem on your Steam Play copy, create a new PSN id/Steam account and play online co-op with your friend/brother/whathaveyou who's on your PC Steam account in the other room.

And I assume the PC code only works with 1 steam account?

Well, yeah. Valve would literally be giving the game away if you could use it on more than one.

taoofjord said:
Jesus, the frequency of the loading is worse than Lost Planet 2... and that's pathetic. Loading after every single test chamber, when many of them can take as little as 60 seconds is insane. I really, really hope valve comes back to this game in the future and fixes this, because it's so very intrusive...

On console? The loading screens take no more than a few seconds for me on the PC. My system is 3.5 years old (save the 5750, but that's shit anyway), although it is installed to an SSD.

Lostconfused said:
Hahaha yeah like that whole installing issue got fixed in MGS4.
It wasn't.

Konami/KojiPro != Valve.

celebi23

I thought if you pre-ordered the game, you got a co-op skin? I'm looking in my inventory & all I see is that potato hardhat from TF2

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
And, goddamn, some of those puzzles were brutal.
One of the very late ones with the three turrets behind a glass panel that you need to drop Blue Gel on had me stumped for a good twenty minutes.
Oh I had such a smirk on my face when I realized I could do that. I wasn't even sure if it was right due to the number of steps you have to take.

Drkirby said:
Oh I had such a smirk on my face when I realized I could do that. I wasn't even sure if it was right due to the number of steps you have to take.
You know, I think I spent the longest time on that puzzle alone, because I thought you had to
take a running hop into a floor portal, out the slant tile, and shoot another portal when you land to fly over the wall with momentum, bouncing off the blue gunk into the exit
. Didn't realize I could just
levitate with the beam until I was at the right height, and do the above in one step.
I attribute it to extreme tiredness :/

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ColtraineGF said:
You know, I think I spent the longest time on that puzzle alone, because I thought you had to
take a running hop into a floor portal, out the slant tile, and shoot another portal when you land to fly over the wall with momentum, bouncing off the blue gunk into the exit
levitate with the beam until I was at the right height, and do the above in one step.

same one i was stuck on for about an hour lol

Dax01 said:
Disappointing to see that the 360 looks the worst out of all the version. Ah well. I'll endeavor to enjoy the game regardless.

The game is just phenomenal.

Mind-bending awesomeness. If the framerate is stable, there's nothing that can detract from the experience.

Peterthumpa

Probably a dumb question but...

Can I install the game in my girlfriend's PC and play the co-op story with my Steam account in both computers?

Ark

Does anyone have a walkthrough or something?

I'm on chapter 7, just after pump station Gamma, I can't manage to get across the ravine...I've been stuck for like 20-30 minutes..

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ColtraineGF said:
On anther one of the puzzles from that set, I sat there for a good 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do (I also thought I may of been meant to just escape and the test was impossible, since there were some sizable chain link fences in the level). Solution turned out to be quiet simple
Use Levitation beam to get high into air, shoot gun at slanted panel, get shot across the room. Something done a number of times but I just didn't see it dispute playing heavily with the levitation panel

Ark said:
Does anyone have a walkthrough or something?

I'm on chapter 7, just after pump station Gamma, I can't manage to get across the ravine...I've been stuck for like 20-30 minutes..

Could be anther section, but if it is what I think it is...

You just came though the room with the orange stuff and the crushers, right? You can go the other way, and notice there is a wall you can make a portal on

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So has anyone traded the PS3 version of Portal 2 back to GameStop/Amazon? How much did you receive in credit?

(Please refrain from giving me shit about this, GAF. Just answer the question, thanks.)

Ark

Drkirby said:
Could be anther section, but if it is what I think it is...

You just came though the room with the orange stuff and the crushers, right? You can go the other way, and notice there is a wall you can make a portal on

I think so..

When I come out of the pump station, theres a stairwell that I need to get to, to access what looks like a control room for the next testing sphere. If I portal down to the level just blow that, there's a blocked exit and an orange pump. I am completely at a loss as to where I can go :/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Only played through the first hour so no spoilers for me as I'm not even through the tut part I'm sure. Loved P1 but this game is so damn funny and classy I'm going to replay the beginning just to show my wife (and to pick up on some the things I missed out on while blitzing through it a bit late last night). To no one's surprise, a legit LOL game, even beyond "geek" humor imo.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ark said:
I think so..

When I come out of the pump station, theres a stairwell that I need to get to, to access what looks like a control room for the next testing sphere. If I portal down to the level just blow that, there's a blocked exit and an orange pump. I am completely at a loss as to where I can go :/
Yeah, find a section of wall that is ether really high or angled, put a portal there, go back to the crushers, put a portal on the other side of them, get speed by going over the orange stuff (Don't get crushed) and you should land safely)

I did find that door odd, it looks like it should open but it never does.

On anther note, I was so sad when the Smooth Jazz stopped :(

ezekial45

Banned
felipepl said:
Probably a dumb question but...

Can I install the game in my girlfriend's PC and play the co-op story with my Steam account in both computers?

No. A steam account can only be used on one comp at a time.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
About the ending:
I was thinking to my self how would a portal even work on the moon's surface (since there are so many surfaces in the game that you can't use portals on), but then I remembered Cave Johnson mentioning he needed moon rocks for creating the white portal gel. Pretty cool foreshadowing.

theRizzle

I don't want to go back through this thread for fear of spoilers, no matter how small they may be. I just have a quick question.

Does the PS3 version support KB/M?

Oh, there was that other section, in the (Chap. 6-7ish)
old Aperture Science facility
, where you had two
gigantic pillars, with one having a little bit of white at top, and the other having a slanted surface
. I got onto the
pillar
, and I spend quite a bit of time trying to see if I could line up a shot with anything above me. I was just about to give up for the night when I had a realization:
There was a pipe with blue gel, available to me at the room where I just came from.
Hit myself in the head there.

Also, I had fun listening to the turrets. The
defective ones, before and after they pass inspection.

sykoex said:
About the ending:
I was thinking to my self how would a portal even work on the moon's surface (since there are so many surfaces in the game that you can't use portals on), but then I remembered Cave Johnson mentioning he needed moon rocks for creating the white portal gel. Pretty cool foreshadowing.
Oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...I knew that had significance somewhere...

depths20XX

Only got to play for an hour or so last night. Still amazed by the source engine.

I really should have called off work today...

Kud Dukan

theRizzle said:
I don't want to go back through this thread for fear of spoilers, no matter how small they may be. I just have a quick question.

Does the PS3 version support KB/M?

Sadly, no it does not.

Ark

Drkirby said:
Yeah, find a section of wall that is ether really high or angled, put a portal there, go back to the crushers, put a portal on the other side of them, get speed by going over the orange stuff (Don't get crushed) and you should land safely)

I did find that door odd, it looks like it should open but it never does.

On anther note, I was so sad when the Smooth Jazz stopped :(

Haha! It worked, thanks alot :)

Divius

Jut finished the singleplayer, and it was amazing. The best solo-gaming-experience I've had in a while. Now I'm ready to get it on in co-op.

Kud Dukan

JaseC said:
On console? The loading screens take no more than a few seconds for me on the PC. My system is 3.5 years old (save the 5750, but that's shit anyway), although it is installed to an SSD.

Granted, I've only played for about 30 minutes, but the loading screens seemed to be at most 10 to 12 seconds for me, and I'm not using a SSD. My computer is not even a year old yet, so that might have something to do with it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
sykoex said:
About the ending:
If you want to get technical, the portal should not have traveled that fast. Unless they are constantly accelerating, the portals go at fairly slow speeds, they are clearly visible when you shoot them and you can watch them fly across the screen

Drkirby said:
If you want to get technical, the portal should not have traveled that fast. Unless they are constantly accelerating, the portals go at fairly slow speeds, they are clearly visible when you shoot them and you can watch them fly across the screen
Actually, some of the challenges implied to me that the portals open near-instantly, f.e. when you have to crossshoot the light-bridges you can shoot it and not fall even one milimeter

Sethos

Banned
Got home, played for 30 minutes, got bored of the same ole' tutorials treating you like a complete plank, quit. Don't have patience for that right now :p

As for the above, loads aren't long but there's just so many of them - Complete area, load, complete area, load, complete area, load etc. and each section isn't exactly long the first few levels.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tryckser said:
Actually, some of the challenges implied to me that the portals open near-instantly, f.e. when you have to crossshoot the light-bridges you can shoot it and not fall even one milimeter
They open instantly on contact, but take time to travail. The old portal does not close till the new portal makes contact with a surface.

Jenga

Banned
this

this is a good fucking game

now onto coop!

jesus that ending was like wtf. the moon had me fucking laughing. anyways, gladdos mentions seeing humans and everything seems okay when chell lands outside the shack. so freeman won?

Top Bottom