• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Aruarian Reflection said:
Put the game on a SSD and watch the load screens fly by.
Let's be realistic here...

I agree though, the constant loading is kind of annoying. The game looks phenomenal though, god the Source engine is old but they continue to keep up. Good for them.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm getting a weird behavior on all Valve/Source games and I think my video card might be overheating. Basically, I will be playing fine for a while, all graphic settings on max without a hitch, but then the game slows down considerably and lags like hell for around 2 minutes. After that, it continues working just fine, but the slow-down happens again eventually. I haven't tried anything yet, maybe I'll grab a duster soon and see if it's dirt that's blocking the fan or something (this is a laptop).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kritz said:
You can never couch jump over a railing.
This bothers me so much. I crouch jump everywhere in Source games. Also, dev. commentary turns off achievements just so you know.

hxcmuziq said:
Taking the time and having the patience to solve the game on your own is so much more rewarding.

To you maybe. People aren't all the same.

For me, being stuck is literally the worst experience I can fathom having in a game. Impossible boss fights? I'm cool with that. Lost in a level? Makes me want to turn the game off. I don't feel satisfied when I finally figure out a solution, I like there's some sort of problem with me. Now, there's a certain level of puzzle challenge I appreciate and enjoy in a game, but if I get to the point where I'm running around a room randomly blasting portals and suiciding because I haven't been able to work out what to do in the last 15 minutes, that's when I draw a line and just use a guide. Because the payoff is not worth it to me.

I appreciate that this is not how you and many other portal fans are wired. I respect that. But I should ask that you return the favor to those of us who aren't that into it.

This bothers me so much. I crouch jump everywhere in Source games.

YES. That's one of my biggest grips so far actually.

commissar

Dance In My Blood said:
I don't mean in linear in the sense that you play the levels in a row, but more than the room to experiment with Portals in the room is severely limited in a way that creates far fewer solutions for puzzles. Not a bad thing because it locks out cheesing puzzles like you used to be able to, but it does feel more rigid in how you can go about what you want to do.
Yeah Portal 2 doesnt feel anywhere near as empowering as the first.

hxcmuziq

Banned
Drkirby said:
Hope there are some more maps for the game at a later date

Valve already confirmed that a map editor for PC is releasing shortly, and the DLC slated for PC and consoles. If Valve is smart the will take the best user created levels and sell them as DLC on the consoles.

Dance In My Blood said:
I don't mean in linear in the sense that you play the levels in a row, but more than the room to experiment with Portals in the room is severely limited in a way that creates far fewer solutions for puzzles. Not a bad thing because it locks out cheesing puzzles like you used to be able to, but it does feel more rigid in how you can go about what you want to do.
the solution space is extremely linear and narrow. usually there is only one way to finishing the puzzle. so yea, unlike a real life problem where you can start at any point and converge to the solution, you have to think in the way the game creator wants you to and block off other creative ideas you might have. just like portal 1.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Fireblend said:
I'm getting a weird behavior on all Valve/Source games and I think my video card might be overheating. Basically, I will be playing fine for a while, all graphic settings on max without a hitch, but then the game slows down considerably and lags like hell for around 2 minutes. After that, it continues working just fine, but the slow-down happens again eventually. I haven't tried anything yet, maybe I'll grab a duster soon and see if it's dirt that's blocking the fan or something (this is a laptop).
What is happening on screen when this happens?

What gfx card?

I'm having similar problems.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Valve completely nailed the concept of mostly eliminating the concept of twitch based portal puzzles in favour of simply trying to work out what must go where. Once you 'get' how a puzzle must work, you can very easily 'do' it.

People should keep that in mind if they're getting stumped. If you find yourself trying to do some tricky move odds are you're doing it wrong.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Pete Davison (John's brother) posted this over at GamePro

14908-mailchime.jpeg

celebi23

celebi23 said:
So yeah, I'm in the
yesteryear Aperture Science main chamber thing. I'm trying to get to the entrance. I know that I need to put a portal on the white area up high on the back wall but, how high? Every time I try I'm either too high or too low. Can't seem to find the sweet spot. Do I have to go through the Aperature logo to get to the entrance?
Been at this part for nearly 20 minutes & can't figure it out :/

deleted

I'm level 17 now and I'm enjoying every last bit of it. The athmosphere is excellent! The first 15 levels felt more like a tutorial and I hope that it gets a bit harder from here on out, but the feeling, when you solved a puzzle is still better for me than finishing a level in any shooter. The First game was already finished at this point, so I hope this goes on for a little longer.

I'm looking forward to my first co-op session after I finished the SP :)

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
My eyes are seeing those bloody blue tunnel things everywhere now.

Just finished SP, probably took about 5/6 hours in the end. I wasn't even blazing through, stopped to read stuff, even got the "Found the missing experiment" achievement.

Have to say, the last boss
Holy shit, all you can do is shoot the moon, so what did i do? Shot the moon, holy fuck that was brilliant

Also, my only gripe was
no bloody tie in to half life, besides the Borealis, CJ mentioned Black Mesa, that was about it

Only thing though, after the game's ending
What the hell's she gonna do now? We're assuming she's free in the open but where the hell is she gonna go? Also would've preferred the ending to be NOT FMV, if Ep3 uses that i won't be too happy. But it was funny.

EDIT: Oh and also, the last few chambers were a bitch.
I found, especially in the CJ sections, the best bet is just to look for the exit, then trace the steps from the exit to where you are. Just stop and think for a couple of minutes and it becomes easy as.

celebi23 said:

Yeah I was stuck for ages too. Basically, you're not trying to get into the main entrance you can see in front of you when you walk in. You're trying to get to a door on the opposite side of the room. You'll want to take advantage of the railing up high to get momentum to punt yourself onto the platform. There should be one of those 45 degree surfaces perfectly placed for it.

Fireblend

Banned
Original-Blue said:
What is happening on screen when this happens?

What gfx card?

I'm having similar problems.

Nothing happens graphically, it just slows down considerably to the point it becomes unplayable. It's a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTS.

It's weird, because I've been playing Non-source games lately (Dead Space mainly) and I don't get the weird behavior at all.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Fireblend said:
Nothing happens graphically, it just slows down considerably. It's a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTS.

It's weird, because I've been playing Non-source games lately (Dead Space mainly) and I don't get the weird behavior at all.
No I mean what is happening on screen? It usually happens to me when there is a particular particle effect or many portals in view of each other...

hxcmuziq

Banned
celebi... I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you haven't even been introduced to the new gameplay mechanics of the gels and you are that stumped...

YOU'RE FUCKED

clav

Just finished the game.

I am disappointed at the story. It was an OK ride, but there were no allusions to Half-Life EP3 aside from seeing an empty vessel port.

Meh.

Fireblend

Banned
Original-Blue said:
No I mean what is happening on screen? It usually happens to me when there is a particular particle effect or many portals in view of each other...
Oh.. I've thought that as well, like it's loading some resource in particular or it's a effect-heavy moment, but it's not like it goes away if I walk away or look elsewhere; I pause it and after 2 minutes it will go back to normal regardless of whatever it is that's currently loaded or what I'm looking at. If it's indeed loading-related, it's not as easy as "when there's too many particle effects" or "when many portals are in proximity". I'm almost hoping it's not that, because it'd be a pain to track down.

Spookie

Cindres said:
Have to say, the last boss
Holy shit, all you can do is shoot the moon, so what did i do? Shot the moon, holy fuck that was brilliant

Totally.

That brief delay before the twinkle scores it for me. "No that can't be... Oh lawd!"

celebi23

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Yeah I was stuck for ages too. Basically, you're not trying to get into the main entrance you can see in front of you when you walk in. You're trying to get to a door on the opposite side of the room. You'll want to take advantage of the railing up high to get momentum to punt yourself onto the platform. There should be one of those 45 degree surfaces perfectly placed for it.
Oh, I know. I've been trying to get to that door for awhile. I guess I'll keep on trying. Thanks though

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread but I have a quick question. If I buy the PS3 version of the game can I gift the Steam copy to a friend and play with him from my PS3? I know cross-platform co-op is supported but what I'm wondering is if there are actually two different copies included with the PS3 purchase or one that can be played on either the PS3 or Steam. I know you have to sign into Steam from your PS3 to play so I'm guessing you are really only getting one copy, although I'm hoping to be wrong.

Can someone tell me if anyone has got their roll cage skin yet?

Also has anyone figured out what the
Ship Overboard - Discover the missing experiment
achievement was about?
I didn't get that achievement! Now I'm thinking there's Episode Three stuff / Borealis content still in there to discover!

Mithos

Gold Member
The_Darkest_Red said:
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread but I have a quick question. If I buy the PS3 version of the game can I gift the Steam copy to a friend and play with him from my PS3? I know cross-platform co-op is supported but what I'm wondering is if there are actually two different copies included with the PS3 purchase or one that can be played on either the PS3 or Steam. I know you have to sign into Steam from your PS3 to play so I'm guessing you are really only getting one copy, although I'm hoping to be wrong.

This is what we are waiting to get an answer on.. BUT.

It sounds like it would be possible.

Pcj7F.jpg

Source: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21906087&postcount=20

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's sad people are playing this and being disappointed it doesn't offer some great (or even much of any) insight into Episode 3.

Valve cooed for almost all of this game's development that while it's still part of the universe, they want to seperate Portal as much as possible from Half-Life. It's why they set it when they did.

Everybody disappointed with the lack of Half-Life have only themselves to blame. You guys should stop expecting a game to be something other than what it is. It's not like Portal had much insight into the events of Half-Life either. References? Sure. Apertures history relative to Black Mesa? Absolutely. Extra information into the Half-Life plot? Basically nothing.

Maybe they should have made it clearer, but I dont really know how they could have.

celebi23

hxcmuziq said:
celebi... I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you haven't even been introduced to the new gameplay mechanics of the gels and you are that stumped...

YOU'RE FUCKED
Seriously?
FUCK OFF!!!
This is the one part of the game that I'm having some difficulty with. I managed to figure out the other sections after some time. I thought asking for help in this topic was ok? If you have a problem with my asking help, just keep it to yourself.

Edit: FUCK ME!! I was putting one of my portals in the wrong spot. Ugggh.
Just got to the true entrance door to the older aperature science

Dyno

EatChildren said:
Valve completely nailed the concept of mostly eliminating the concept of twitch based portal puzzles in favour of simply trying to work out what must go where. Once you 'get' how a puzzle must work, you can very easily 'do' it.

Some of my favourite puzzles were the ones that you had to fire off a portal while falling in order to get wicked air.

"Speedy thing goes in - speedy thing comes out."

stupei

celebi23 said:

You want to get through the logo to the well lit area that's a bit off the ground, like you said. Across from that on the far wall is a column with one panel at an upward angle. That is where you want to place your exit portal, not on the wall itself.

Edit: Oh, well there you go. :)

Edit two: So has anyone found the (achievement related spoiler)
woman's photo? I assume it's Caroline and should be somewhere in the CJ area but didn't see it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
ashbash159 said:
Can someone tell me if anyone has got their roll cage skin yet?

Also has anyone figured out what the
Ship Overboard - Discover the missing experiment
achievement was about?
I didn't get that achievement! Now I'm thinking there's Episode Three stuff / Borealis content still in there to discover!

Yeah, it was i one of the CJ areas, i honestly can't remember what chapter, but there's a
3 Story like, waiting room/offices bit, where you found GLaDOS int he bird's nest. On that top floor, go to the back corner, and half covered by a bookshelf or a server or something you'll see a door. If you walk up to the door it'll open and through there you'll get the achievement.

I won't say what you'll find though ;)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Let's be realistic here...

I agree though, the constant loading is kind of annoying. The game looks phenomenal though, god the Source engine is old but they continue to keep up. Good for them.
This continues to piss me off. It's the ONE area where Valve continues to drop the ball time and again. They just cannot seem to handle loading properly. Eventually faster PC hardware solves the issue, but it's still frustrating. HL2 was seriously compromised at launch as a result of loading issues. Portal 2 seems better than that, but the fact that the loading screens are longer and more intrusive than the original Portal is a huge disappointment.

I'm surprised they haven't found some way to stream level data in Source yet.

All Source engine games seem to give me headaches, Portal especially. So was it a smart idea to play Portal 2 in one sitting? FUCK YEAH!

Goddammit I loved it so much.
Every single little bit. It just keeps getting better and better all the way through, from the 'Say Apple' gag at the start to Portalling to THE MOON at the end. I spent the whole weekend watching those stupid GLaDOS@Home bars filling up but it was forgotten pretty much the moment I started playing the game.

I could not be more impressed with Valve right now. I absolutely loved the trip through the underworld of Aperture Science Innovations and finding out GLaDOS' real origin. I shouted out loud when she accidentally answered Cave Johnson's recorded voice (by the way, J.K. Simmons is on fire in this game). And seeing the retro plywood Storage Cubes and levered Buttons was glorious.

And, goddamn, some of those puzzles were brutal. One of the very late ones with the three turrets behind a glass panel that you need to drop Blue Gel on had me stumped for a good twenty minutes. I can't wait to play through co-op for another helping.

EDIT -
stupei said:
Edit two: So has anyone found the (achievement related spoiler)
woman's photo? I assume it's Caroline and should be somewhere in the CJ area but didn't see it.
Got that one,
it's a portrait of Caroline and Cave. I can't remember exactly where, but after one of the early-ish CJ area tests (probably still in the Blue Gel part), if you look up to your left before before you leave the test area you'll be able to Portal into an upstairs area. You can see the stairs clearly but they're blocked off, so you have to Portal in there.

SPOILERISH SPOILY SPOILERS Finish the game first.

Have you seen that in the room with all the dioramas, the one with the fast growing monstrous potato is made by Chell?

Pipomantis said:
SPOILERISH SPOILY SPOILERS Finish the game first.

Have you seen that in the room with all the dioramas, the one with the fast growing monstrous potato is made by Chell?
Is it actually hers? I spent a good few minutes in there looking for any names on the dioramas and couldn't see anything. I was hoping there might be some sort of vague confirmation that Chell was brought in to Aperture on Take Your Daughter to Work Day, but I figured they left it ambiguous.

Top Bottom