• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
raphier said:
So...did this game fail or what because this release is lacking "cake is a lie" and Still alive type memes.
There really isn't anything I can think of from the game to make a Meme out of, other then maybe the annoying robot at the end, maybe the Smooth Jazz thing, I don't know. The ending song wasn't as catchy. Something may come out of it, but upon completion nothing stands out like it did with Portal 1 in regards with Meme making. But you can't really predict Meme's ether.

jesus that ending was like wtf. the moon had me fucking laughing. anyways, gladdos mentions seeing humans and everything seems okay when chell lands outside the shack. so freeman won?
I still think the game could take place around the time of Half Life 2. There is also the possibility of Cave actually making a working Time Machine, since one was implied during his test chambers

raphier

Banned
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
How can it fail...? It's been out for like... two hours.
Well. many people have already played throught. After Portal 1 everyone started humming Still Alive song and type cake is a lie, make companion cube jokes and kind of lifted everyone up....I mean iconic stuff. It seems Portal 2 has none, besides potatoes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
On console? The loading screens take no more than a few seconds for me on the PC. My system is 3.5 years old (save the 5750, but that's shit anyway), although it is installed to an SSD.
SSD? Come on, man, most people aren't using SSDs. Besides, a few seconds on an SSD will probably translate to quite a bit more on regular HDDs and even more on consoles. It's not just the length that sucks by the frequency. I could deal with 10-20 seconds of loading if it didn't happen so damned often.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
raphier said:
Well. many people have already played throught. After Portal 1 everyone started humming Still Alive song and type cake is a lie....I mean iconic stuff. It seems Portal 2 has none, besides potatoes.
Ending song wasn't nearly as memorable. There was even two of them, the first one sucked hard enough that I somewhat hope Valve changes it.

I didn't even hear any quips about Cake.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
dark10x said:
SSD? Come on, man, most people aren't using SSDs. Besides, a few seconds on an SSD will probably translate to quite a bit more on regular HDDs and even more on consoles. It's not just the length that sucks by the frequency. I could deal with 10-20 seconds of loading if it didn't happen so damned often.

SSDs aren't 20-30x faster than a 7200rpm drive. If the game is taking a minute to load each and every time, something is wrong.

Okay maybe it's because I've just woken up because I'm fucking baffled by something that seems REALLY simple and it's making me feel stupid.

During the test where Cave talks about needing time travel (yes i know it's a joke), where on earth do you shoot the portals, place the gel, and bounce from? I feel like I've tried every combination of momentum and position.

EDIT: The loading takes AT LEAST less than twenty seconds on my terrible PC. It seems to load about the exact same frequency as the first game, it's just more noticeable due to the animated load screens.

EDIT2: Solved it. Man, my Portal gear must have rusted overnight.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ok need to stop reading this thread now. guess i'll just make the review thread my default portal 2 reading.

audi

20 seconds? That is certainly a while. I don't think any of my load times went above 10. But I wasn't counting either, maybe I should next time.

Hamster

Drkirby said:
Ending song wasn't nearly as memorable. There was even two of them, the first one sucked hard enough that I somewhat hope Valve changes it.

I actually prefered the first one, even though i couldn't understand a single word(if those were even supposed to be words)

raphier

Banned
Tanolen said:
I remember seeing alot of people hating on portal because of the meme's, so having no meme's maybe seen as a plus.
heh, yeah. But for me personally, all those memes defined the game. I really love it when something memorable happens and lasts for a while.

Drkirby said:
That reminds me, I wonder if there was any significance to Chell having a second person who shared her last name.
GlaDos mocked her, she said there are two other persons with her last name... then she has the "surprise" for her with people she hasn't met in a long time. GlaDos just builds this mock up over a few test chambers ^^

JaseC said:
Can somebody nudge me in the right direction? I need to cross this gap. (Ch. 7 or 8.)
You need to shoot out the angled platform that comes out when you hit the switch near you there.

I need a tip after that part on
after "the part where he kills you" a pipe falls down and splatters blue gel around but I can't get forward momentum to cross the gap.
Edit: Nevermind it was easy. =/

jambo

Brilliant writing, great voice acting, super animation, perfect lighting and some amazing level design has made Portal 2 my favourite game so far this year. Can't wait to hit up some co-op as well as replaying it.

Tanolen said:
I remember seeing alot of people hating on portal because of the meme's, so having no meme's maybe seen as a plus.

These people all need to be hit in the head with something heavy, then. I mean, seriously.

Jenga

Banned
if there's one thing i notice about aperture science is that
the narrative trails off after the mid-80's. I'm guessing more is covered in coop campaign (which I haven't touched yet) or the 90's aperture narrative is more-or-less the borealis and will be covered in EP3

JaseC

Tryckser said:
Look behind you, tilted panel, bulid up speed somehow
JPBrowncoat said:
You need to shoot out the angled platform that comes out when you hit the switch near you there.

Yep, just figured it out. Cheers. :)

Hey I'm really trying to avoid spoilers so aplogies if this was answered in the thread already. Can somebody tell me how many chapters there are in total and/or how long it took to finish sp?

Thanks.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jenga said:
if there's one thing i notice about aperture science is that
the narrative trails off after the mid-80's. I'm guessing more is covered in coop campaign (which I haven't touched yet) or the 90's aperture narrative is more-or-less the borealis and will be covered in EP3
I am really hoping the Co Op has some real plot to it.

The Portal 1 Radio ARG had Cave Johnson as an AI also, I was looking forward to seeing him pop up

Tacitus_

ColtraineGF said:
You know, I think I spent the longest time on that puzzle alone, because I thought you had to
take a running hop into a floor portal, out the slant tile, and shoot another portal when you land to fly over the wall with momentum, bouncing off the blue gunk into the exit
. Didn't realize I could just
levitate with the beam until I was at the right height, and do the above in one step.
I attribute it to extreme tiredness :/

I fell for that twice.

Felt like smashing me face to a wall to clear my brains since clearly there was something wrong with them.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, during the end of the Glados tests

Was I the only one who actually went back into test chamber during the escape?

I also like how the game can be divided into 3 pretty distinct parts

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Drkirby said:

I didn't, what happens if you do?

Has anyone figured out how to get the tf2 hats in coop mode? I tried last night and the only thing I got was a mann co hat. silly question, but since I seem to be progressing through the singleplayer decently I don't have too many questions about that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Only a few carry over, you likely just don't have any of the ones that fit the bots. Maybe the Portal team will work on making more of them compatible.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm confused by the Amazon promo: is it still available? Because I thought it was preorder only, but they seem to still be advertising it?

nofi

Drkirby said:

Yep. I thought you were supposed to. =)

Spookie

Anyone else having issues with audio cutting out at the end of some speech? Going to reinstall tonight me thinks to see if that sorts it. Tried verifying and though it repaired one 18mb file it didn't fix it.

I'll save my full explore run for when I've had some sleep.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Finished.

Wow, ive never ever finished the single player of a game in the same day that I started.

Searched everywhere, did everything I could. Extremely enjoyed myself. Didn't get stuck for more than a minute anywhere...

Now I saw
a few moments in trailers that I didn't see during the course of the game
- is it likely that they are in the co-op mode even though in the trailers / video review the colour of the crosshairs was blue / orange? I can't have missed a big chunk can I?

Loved the ending
but I was a little bummed at the lack of connection to hl2 world. Although black Mesa was brought up by cave

Honestly I wish it was going on for longer but I'm seriously looking forward to co-op now :D

Its my favourite game of all time by the way. That's a huge deal to me. Surpassed Zelda Oot, portal and uncharted 2 to get there :) will play again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, just numerically, how many chapters are there in the SP? I've been staying almost totally out of this thread for fear of spoilers.
I will start this off that I really think it is better if you don't know, since not having an idea of when the end will come is always great. I thought the game had far less chapters so I was caught off guard.

It has 9 chapters to it. There is a Chapter 10, but it is only the credits.

ColtraineGF said:
Oh, there was that other section, in the (Chap. 6-7ish)
old Aperture Science facility
, where you had two
gigantic pillars, with one having a little bit of white at top, and the other having a slanted surface
. I got onto the
pillar
, and I spend quite a bit of time trying to see if I could line up a shot with anything above me. I was just about to give up for the night when I had a realization:
There was a pipe with blue gel, available to me at the room where I just came from.
Hit myself in the head there.

This ended my playthrough last night. I was so exhausted and I had no idea wtf to do. Thanks for the heads up.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also, so far my favorite line is definitely from chapter 4/5 with
Little sphere I can hear you
or however its worded. That whole exchange was perfect.

Plasmid

Definitely considering switching my buy from my paid 360 version to my ps3.

Questions.

Is it possible to sell the steam version, I have a SHIT laptop not even capable of running portal 2. So I'd just sell it and use that and trade in the PS3 version toward a 360 version when my 360 returns.

JaseC

Does anyone else with a lower-tier GPU find that the gel kills your framerate? I have a 5750 and the game stutters like a bitch whenever there's a lot of gel on the screen. Other than that, the game feels butter-smooth at 16x10, max. settings with 4xAA and AF, and triple-buffering.

Top Bottom