• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
JaseC said:
Does anyone else with a lower-tier GPU find that the gel kills your framerate? I have a 5750 and the game stutters like a bitch whenever there's a lot of gel on the screen. Other than that, the game feels butter-smooth at 16x10, max. settings with 4xAA and AF, and triple-buffering.
That gpu should have no problem.

What's your CPU? As far as I know the liquid is very CPU heavy due to the physics involved...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have a GTX 460 and in one level I did notice a slight drop in frame rate. Gel must be doing some overly intensive calculations.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
(Steam question).

Okay guys, am I doing something wrong? Next to Portal 2 it says "Download starting" but there's nothing at all showing up in the actual "Downloads" pane. Do I have to do something else to get it to start downloading?

Sanic

Pseudo_Sam said:
(Steam question).

Okay guys, am I doing something wrong? Next to Portal 2 it says "Download starting" but there's nothing at all showing up in the actual "Downloads" pane. Do I have to do something else to get it to start downloading?

Servers are probably just being hammered. I have that issue from time to time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The_Technomancer said:
Okay, just numerically, how many chapters are there in the SP? I've been staying almost totally out of this thread for fear of spoilers.

I was just told that
there are 9

Edit: Beaten.

Original-Blue said:
That gpu should have no problem.

What's your CPU? As far as I know the liquid is very CPU heavy due to the physics involved...

E6420 @ 3.2.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Pandoracell said:
Servers are probably just being hammered. I have that issue from time to time.

That's what I figured. So after not being able to pre-load the game for a week because of server overload, not being able to download it last night because of server overload (after trying for several hours), and not being able to download it now because of server overload, I'm no closer to having Portal 2 than I was 5 years ago. This whole thing has been a huge waste of time.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
awww the title screen switches back to the normal portal 2 one if you restart portal 2 after you beat it i wanted to keep that awesome wheatley floating in space one :(

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
JaseC said:
Does anyone else with a lower-tier GPU find that the gel kills your framerate? I have a 5750 and the game stutters like a bitch whenever there's a lot of gel on the screen. Other than that, the game feels butter-smooth at 16x10, max. settings with 4xAA and AF, and triple-buffering.

I have a 4870 and at everything on High or Very High i never once experienced any issue.

Come to think, mine's only a Core2Duo 2.66ghz and i never ran into issues...

EDIT: As i see that question was already asked and answered.

Plasmid

My PS3 Friends list and steam list are empty, I usually game on both alone.

Is there a system to look for someone wanting to play co-op? Or do I have to have a personal friend want to do it?

Wow. Loading screens like every four or five minutes. What is going on here? Do I blame the consoles for this or what? It feels like Portal had larger levels.

Evlar

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Wow. Loading screens like every four or five minutes. What is going on here? Do I blame the consoles for this or what? It feels like Portal had larger levels.
I remember Portal loading in the elevator after every chamber. Some chambers were tiny.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The Xtortionist said:
Just wondering - is there a way to select individual testchambers or can you only select which chapter to play? I don't have the game yet.
At the moment, only chapter. I hope Valve fleshes out some more features in the coming months. Some people I have heard want to turn off the Portal Outlining though walls, better options to picking points to play would be nice, going to need some sort of option for the Gel to make it not kill GPUs as badly, hoping to see some Challenge maps too.

Makoto

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Just got my Amazon credit for pre-ordering Portal 2. It expires at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure I've done this kind of deal before and I don't remember having to spend it immediately or lose it forever. Seems like some bullshit.

Anyone else surprised by this or is this how its worked for a while?

Look at the date again. It should be 2012.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Xdrive05 said:
Does the game have "bonus maps" or "advanced chambers" or anything additional like that? And if so, SP or MP?
Nope, not yet. Just single player and Co Op right now. I think Portal 1 was able to launch with them since it was done before then the other two parts of the Orange Box, while Portal 2 likely just went gold a few weeks ago at best, and bug fixes take priority over bonus maps.

TheExodu5

Banned
I can confirm that in this game, Double-Buffered Vsync has less input lag than Triple-Buffered Vsync. The downside to using it is that you need to have hardware powerful enough to keep you over 60fps all the time.

(Chapter 5 spoiler)
When you're going through the turret conveyor belt, you can pick up a live turret and it gives you the achievement "No Hard Feelings". It shoots out some pretty interesting lines.

Mafro said:
Is it to much to ask for people to label their spoilers, rather than just posting a bunch of spoilered text?

A lot of people in this thread are posting spoilers without marking them at all, either. =\

anyone else hunting around for hidden clues or radios.... I feel bad that i can't enjoy the game since yesterday i lingered around looking for clues and ways to kill all the cameras. What secret am i missing out on.

mantidor

Drkirby said:
I have a GTX 460 and in one level I did notice a slight drop in frame rate. Gel must be doing some overly intensive calculations.

D:

and I thought my 8800 could handle it, now I'm worried....

Gritesh

Plasmid said:
My PS3 Friends list and steam list are empty, I usually game on both alone.

Is there a system to look for someone wanting to play co-op? Or do I have to have a personal friend want to do it?

Add me to your PSN / Steam List

Gritesh is my ID on both.

I will be on tonight.

Plasmid

Gritesh said:
Add me to your PSN / Steam List

Gritesh is my ID on both.

I will be on tonight.
Aight, word of warning, I have no mic for my PS3 lol.

I'll be playing SP all day until later tonight for co-op.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How awful are the loadtimes?(Particularly on 360) The GT review seemed to make a slight deal of it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Plasmid said:
Aight, word of warning, I have no mic for my PS3 lol.

I'll be playing SP all day until later tonight for co-op.

played a little coop dont really need mics the ingame command wheel thing is really good

MGrant

TheExodu5 said:
(Chapter 5 spoiler)
When you're going through the turret conveyor belt, you can pick up a live turret and it gives you the achievement "No Hard Feelings". It shoots out some pretty interesting lines.

I loved that turret. The unexpected characters that pop up are the best thing about this game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
JetBlackPanda said:
ok guys I am about to head out and grab this game. PS3??? I have an xbox but I think PS3 is the way to go this time??

if your only means is console id go with ps3 get a larger user base to play with ps3+steam users

JaseC

JaseC said:
I'll let you know when I come across another gel-intensive scene.

Turns out I was 5 minutes from the end. :p Oh well. It wasn't anything annoying, just something I noticed.

Anywho, awesome ending. Steam says 9 hours all up, but I alt-tabbed every now and again to check on this thread to read how everyone else was finding the game, so I'd say 8 is more likely. What is there to say? Everything about the game was amazing. Literally everything. Even if I wanted to find a fault, I don't think I could, but then that's Valve, isn't it? Well, the use of pre-rendered cutscenes for the end was a strange decision and a tad jarring, but that's honestly it.

I didn't mind the songs. First one was better than the second one. Neither are another 'Still Alive', but that was probably the idea.

So, did anybody find the
Ship Overboard (Discover the missing experiment) achievement/trophy
? I'm assuming
there was nothing of the Borealis in the game
?

MGrant

It's worth noting that there have been at least 5 moments so far during which I've been utterly dumbfounded at how good the game looks. I seriously can't believe what they've done with Source.

kamspy

I didn't read any posts because of wonton spoiler people, but I gotta say that this game delivers much more then I thought it would. :)

Can't wait for my co-op buddy to get his internet hooked up so I can try that out.

Forkball

Dear god, people have already beaten it? It's ok if you don't beat a game the morning it comes out.

I just got it from Best Buy and got a $10 gift card with it. But I used gift cards to buy it so it was basically free. I activated it on Steam and I'm installing now. Poor disc, it will never be used.

TheExodu5

Banned
I almost think Valve implemented some sort of custom AA for this game on PC. I mean, I'm using 8x MSAA so it's not surprising it looks good...but honestly I can't find jaggies anywhere. It looks supersampled at times. Maybe it's just the nature of the geometry...

There isn't any texture shimmering whatsoever either. It seems as if they've massively tweaked the behavior of anisotropic filtering. The grated walkways don't shimmer or distort whatsoever. Again, it looks supersampled. Pretty impressive.

JaseC

Forkball said:
Dear god, people have already beaten it? It's ok if you don't beat a game the morning it comes out.

I just got it from Best Buy and got a $10 gift card with it. But I used gift cards to buy it so it was basically free. I activated it on Steam and I'm installing now. Poor disc, it will never be used.

I couldn't put it down. The pacing is nothing short of perfect. An hour ago I said I'll be heading to bed and that I'll finish the game when I get up, but I just couldn't do it.

Sogood.gif. Almost makes up for the zero news on Episode Three. Almost.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Forkball said:

most games i beat in one sitting though feels more like a movie that way

kamspy

How do you guys listen to music while playing Source games? ALT+TAB seems to break them on my system. I wish Valve would integrate a little music player in the overlay.

Top Bottom