• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

kamspy said:
How do you guys listen to music while playing Source games? ALT+TAB seems to break them on my system. I wish Valve would integrate a little music player in the overlay.
On the newer Valve games they have Full Screen Windowed mode which makes Alt+TAB-ing nice.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
but the ingame music is awesome it even changes based on what you use like the lasers add there own tune in the sun beam walkway things mix in everything dose its freaking amazing

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
kamspy said:
How do you guys listen to music while playing Source games? ALT+TAB seems to break them on my system. I wish Valve would integrate a little music player in the overlay.
-novid -window -noborder

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rygar 8 Bit said:
but the ingame music is awesome it even changes based on what you use like the lasers add there own tune in the sun beam walkway things mix in everything dose its freaking amazing

I loved that. Everything melded together perfectly when you were going about the environment correctly.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Looks like I won't have this in my hands until tomorrow. :( Oh well, one more day of waiting won't kill me.

I'm so excited though, the review thread has gotten me hyped to the tenth degree!!! And I played Portal on a 20" SD TV, but will be playing Portal 2 on a 55" HDTV Samsung. :eek:
My first Valve game in HD, can't fricken wait!

I'll be bowing out of this thread for now, I'm sure I'll be back sometime tomorrow though (after I play). Gotta avoid any spoilers lol. But hope everone is enjoying the game, can't wait to play and then discuss it with you guys!

LProtag

Ahhh, I have to leave this place before I get any more spoiled for me by digging in so much.

Also have to figure out what to do with this 20 dollar Amazon credit. Hm...

J1zKx.jpg

As I said, I won't be able to play it until tomorrow. Can't wait! (If the size annoys anyone, just say so, and I'll resize it).

BOTOLF!!!!!!

Have you finished it yet?! What do you think? TELL ME NOW!

Anyone think that this game is a little dumbed down compared to the first portal? A little easier?

I'm up to chapter 5 or so and I haven't struggled with any levels yet at all.

Also, is that music from the movie Vertigo at one point?

Stayed up from 11 PM till around 9:40 AM playing this. I beat it.

It was an awesome experience and it's my favorite game in a quite a while. I cannot WAIT to get into the multiplayer. It's going to be so good.

Ark

I'm on chapter 6, chamber 11 and am completely stuck, can anyone help? :(

EDIT: Nevermind, got it 5 seconds after I posted this ..

EDIT 2: Nope, stuck on same level again >_>

EDIT 3: Completed it now, damn this game is good!

JaseC said:
I couldn't put it down. The pacing is nothing short of perfect. An hour ago I said I'll be heading to bed and that I'll finish the game when I get up, but I just couldn't do it.

Sogood.gif. Almost makes up for the zero news on Episode Three. Almost.
Yeah, I ended up playing waaay late into the night.

Einbroch

Banned
Beat the co-op with my friend.

Good game, really liked the jokes, but it was pretty dang easy.

We were only stumped on one puzzle, and there's a puzzle at the end that pissed us off because it's just stupid. Puzzle spoiler, no story:
You have to "slow down" the gel so it doesn't launch off the edge, but you can only go one way with it when it's exact same to come from the other direction. See picture: http://i.imgur.com/7oiJS.png I know it's wrong and that one of the blue/purple portals should be orange, but I'm too lazy to fix it. Just look at the arrows.

We were stuck on that for at least 45 minutes, and it's crap how the game wants you to do it. It really ruined the whole experience for us.

Oxx

Looking surprisingly good on my Mac. I want to keep playing, but I also have to do things like shower and eat. Decisions, decisions.

Mafro

Love the easter eggs in this. Especially (chapter 6 spoiler)
the empty dock with the Borealis rubber ring sitting there.

dLMN8R

kamspy said:
The sound design and music in the game is so perfect, why the hell would you ever want to do this with Portal 2?

Just finished single player, pleasant surprise that Stephen Merchant was in it :D

Fantastic game, actually got stuck for a ridiculous amount of time 3 or 4 times. End was epic.

Anyone else spot the picture of
Cave and Caroline? I'll go back and noclip it if I can remember where it was, but it's in a sealed off window room and you can't get a good view of the picture

clav

Oxx said:
Looking surprisingly good on my Mac. I want to keep playing, but I also have to do things like shower and eat. Decisions, decisions.
As a guy who finished it 5 hours ago, take it slow and enjoy for what it is. It's quite a long game.

MrPing1000 said:
Just finished single player, pleasant surprise that Stephen Merchant was in it :D

Fantastic game, actually got stuck for a ridiculous amount of time 3 or 4 times. End was epic.

Cave and Caroline? I'll go back and noclip it if I can remember where it was, but it's in a sealed off window room and you can't get a good view of the picture
There's an achievement for looking at the picture directly as there is a wall you can easily portal there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just beat it, it was damn near perfect. Only issues I had were loading (thanks consoles) and the kind of tutorial areas at the start which felt repetitive because I had just replayed Portal 1. I get that it had to be there for people who were new to the series or hadn't played it in a while, but it made me really antsy for the new mechanics.

kuYuri

PS3-PC Steam connectivity worked amazingly well and smooth. Got my Steam account up and running in no time on the PS3 and chatted with a PC person to test it out. Now I'm downloading my PC copy as I type this.

Feels good man.

Well, I don't know what I expected, but Ellen McLain as Glados is positively on fire in this game. It's as if she gets the character even more now than she did when she was pitch perfect in the first one.

Oh, and the game so far is amazing, wish I could change my name to Animal King.

Sober

MrPing1000 said:

you can portal into it, the other side you need is along the railing -- for an achievement ... wish I had a picture

Does anyone know if the UPC's on the Amazon and Best Buy copies are the same? Best Buy is like 2 minutes from my house, I was just going to go buy a copy of PS3 Portal 2 and then return my Amazon copy. I don't want to wait for UPS!!!

clav

Tanolen said:
The game freeze alot for anyone else? It freezes for me every so often, but hitting esc fixes it right away.
Restart the game.

It's a bug after like 50 game loads/saves. The game starts stuttering every 2-3 seconds.

For me, ESC only alleviated it temporary for 5 seconds.

claviertekky said:
There's an achievement for looking at the picture directly as there is a wall you can easily portal there.

I actually think I found another instance of it, inside a tiny little closed off room, missed the one you're referring to entirely.

JaseC

theinfinityissue said:
Well, I don't know what I expected, but Ellen McLain as Glados is positively on fire in this game. It's as if she gets the character even more now than she did when she was pitch perfect in the first one.

Oh, and the game so far is amazing, wish I could change my name to Animal King.

You can PM an admin to change your name, IIRC. Assuming you were serious. And assuming you were talking about your GAF name.

clav

In regards to the ending:

Did anyone not like how it was a BINK pre-rendered video? Also, was anyone irritated the game basically didn't mention anything about Episode 3? I thought you would be on the Borealis, setting up the meeting with Freeman, but you only get to see an empty dock.

JaseC

Stallion Free said:
Just beat it, it was damn near perfect. Only issues I had were loading (thanks consoles) and the kind of tutorial areas at the start which felt repetitive because I had just replayed Portal 1. I get that it had to be there for people who were new to the series or hadn't played it in a while, but it made me really antsy for the new mechanics.

Valve really should implement a tiered data caching system in Source that loads more of the game into memory if you happen to have enough. Having a loading screen in-between every test chamber, while brief, was a tad irritating.

Zomba13

Holy. Shit. Best ending ever.

Suuuuuuch a better game than Portal 1 and that was fucking amazing. This was sooooooooo gooooood. Like... Wow!
Made me like GLaDOS even more!

Just Wow at the ending though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
claviertekky said:

Did anyone not like how it was a BINK pre-rendered video? Also, was anyone irritated the game basically didn't mention anything about Episode 3? I thought you would be on the Borealis, setting up the meeting with Freeman, but you only get to see an empty dock.
Valve actually does decent encodes on Bink. And the final scene couldn't have been done in-engine, so no, it didn't bother me.

For those who might know, and have seen the new Valve Portal 2 shirts, is the
70s logo
something that features in the actual game?

Didn't expect to get spoiled by the merch site.

: /

JaseC

claviertekky said:

1)
I found it to be strange and a tad jarring. I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but coming from Valve it was very strange

2)
No. Valve stated time and time again that the game exists within its own bubble in the Half-Life universe. Anybody expecting anything about Episode Three was simply setting themselves up for disappointment. Being on the Borealis and meeting Freeman? Did you also expect the game to load up Episode Three after the credits rolled? :p

Edit:
I will say that I expected a nod to the Borealis given the Ship Overboard (Discover the missing experiment) achievement, but that's as high as you should've let your expectations get, to be honest.

BenjaminBirdie said:
For those who might know, and have seen the new Valve Portal 2 shirts, is the
70s logo
something that features in the actual game?

Didn't expect to get spoiled by the merch site.

: /

Yes. Consider it more of a teaser than a spoiler. The logo can't even begin to prepare you for the awesomeness.

Does anyone here want to do the whole co-op with me now (im on pc, have mic, played singleplayer)
My friends who I usually play PC games with aren't buying it, and I don't want to play with some pub who will probably quit half way through.
Send me a PM if you want to.

ultron87

What's the PS3 control scheme?

I'll have the option of playing co-op as either splitscreen or with 2 computers in adjacent rooms (so we can just talk to each other at a slightly higher volume). So I'm wondering whether the fact that my second PS3 controller has a sticky shoulder button will be an issue.

Top Bottom