• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

JaseC said:
You can PM an admin to change your name, IIRC. Assuming you were serious. And assuming you were talking about your GAF name.

nah, was kinda kidding, the mods have better things to do than mess around with my gaf name.

I'm having to crawl through this game to make sure I don't miss anything, there are so many wonderful details to notice.

Barrett2

Goddamn I am getting nervous with all this ending discussion. Maybe we should have a story thread? I am paranoid some moron is going to not properly spoiler tag something.

I guess that's the problem with these sub 10hr games. Damn thing just got delivered this morning and half the thread is end of game story talk!!

>_>

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
JaseC said:
1)
I found it to be strange and a tad jarring. I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but coming from Valve it was very strange
The Episode One recap in Episode Two is a Bink encode. It's not that strange a scene would stretch the limits of what an engine can do. In this case it was the scale of the scenes and in Episode One recap it was the need to show multiple scenes rapidly.

DarkKyo

Is there a reason to invest in cosmetic items for the co-op bots? Like, when the editing tools come out will people be making new co-op testing maps or something?

Sanic

lawblob said:
Goddamn I am getting nervous with all this ending discussion. Maybe we should have a story thread? I am paranoid some moron is going to not properly spoiler tag something.

I guess that's the problem with these sub 10hr games. Damn thing just got delivered this morning and half the thread is end of game story talk!!

>_>

Yeah i'm considering bailing out of the thread now.

I loved how I woke up to find the thread filled with ending talk :lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:
The Episode One recap in Episode Two is a Bink encode. It's not that strange a scene would stretch the limits of what an engine can do. In this case it was the scale of the scenes and in Episode One recap it was the need to show multiple scenes rapidly.

It was only strange in the sense that it's Valve's first pre-rendered cutscene using the Source Filmmaker. Although, it does make sense when you consider the fact it'll be releasing to the public soon and as such they'd like to show it off in something that isn't TF2.

Nemme

MrPing1000 said:
CP201main2.png

Amazing.

29llhe0.png

Awesome reference!

If anyone can help in regards to Chapter 8 - Chamber 11

It contains:

A stream, two laser cubes and a laser that powers the stream. I need to disable the stream and move two platforms in order to get out

I'm totally stumped on it, and would greatly appreciate any help.

Need help:

On the chamber where you have an excursion funnel, some blue gel, and three turrets, how on earth do you get to the other side? I've taken out the turrets, deployed the angled wall, but I have no idea how to get enough momentum to get to the other side.

I found an awesome easter egg in Chapter 8
(Chapter 8 Spoilers)
In test chamber 15 after Wheatley creates an exit if you look at it immediately you can see P-Body freaking out and running towards the exit
Apologies if this has already been posted.

Vinterbird said:
If anyone can help in regards to Chapter 8 - Chamber 11

It contains:

A stream, two laser cubes and a laser that powers the stream. I need to disable the stream and move two platforms in order to get out

I'm totally stumped on it, and would greatly appreciate any help.

Is it one laser cube and one regular cube? I'm trying to see if I'm thinking of the right puzzle.

JaseC

theinfinityissue said:
nah, was kinda kidding, the mods have better things to do than mess around with my gaf name.

Haha, fair enough.

I'm having to crawl through this game to make sure I don't miss anything, there are so many wonderful details to notice.

I want to give it another play-through tomorrow, but I think I may wait until I pick up the PS3 version. "May" being the key word... I really don't know how long I can hold off. What an experience. What an experience!

BenjaminBirdie said:
Awe. Some.

:D

That part of the game has been compared favourably to BioShock in some of the interviews reviews. It really is amazing.

TheExodu5

Banned
You people really need to learn to mark your spoilers, and spoiler appropriately. Seriously

Chapter 8 spoiler complaints
I now know I'll be going through test chambers on chapter 8. Thanks guys!

Sober

EmCeeGramr said:
Need help:

On the chamber where you have an excursion funnel, some blue gel, and three turrets, how on earth do you get to the other side? I've taken out the turrets, deployed the angled wall, but I have no idea how to get enough momentum to get to the other side.
use the tunnel to lift you up, fall down and fly (and bounce)

CoolS

Dax01 said:
Oh my god you guys. Stop giving it so much praise! If you don't stop I'll have to start it tonight when I don't have the time. Haha.

Well, it is only the best gaming experience in years imo ;)

careksims

Sgt.Pepper said:
Valve needs to release Sentry Turrets figures, I'd buy them in a heart beat.

Oh hell yes! I buy them in a heart beat. Need push button to talk too!

Just beat it. What a ride. Very awesome and hilarious ride. Love love love loved it! Some puzzles gave me headaches but when I figured them out, it's an awesome feeling. :) Can't wait to do some co-op soon!

Vinterbird said:
Yup. You're right, I just wasn't looking at them right.

Use the stream to create momentum to get the regular cube. Once you have the regular cube it use to turn off the stream and get the laser cube. After that it should be easy sailing.

From the TF2 Blog
All of us here on the TF2 team have been asking to play Portal 2 for months now.

"Go away," the Portal guys told us. "You'll just try to put hats in it."

"Whaaattttt?" we said. "That's—psshhhh. If anything, we'll probably tell you to take some hats out of the game."

"There are no hats in the game."

After this, there was an awkward ten-minute silence while all of on the TF2 team stared at the Portal guys, waiting for them to start laughing. Instead, they just told us to go away again. That's when we realized: with so little time left before release, we couldn't afford to waste any time playing the game. We had to fix it. Now. So late last night we snuck into the Portal 2 source code and copy/pasted some hats into it.

You're welcome, Portal 2 team.

Today, we pass the fruits of our clandestine game-saving labor onto you, the hat-loving public (or as you're more commonly known, the public). If you own any of the following hats in Team Fortress 2, you'll be able to equip them on your Cooperative Testing Initiative robots in Portal 2:

Mann Co. Cap
Prince Tavish's Crown
Pyro's Beanie
Fancy Fedora
Master's Yellow Belt
Tyrant's Helm

If you've been on the fence up until now—and who could blame you—you've finally got a reason to buy Portal 2. Courtesy of Team Fortress 2. The best game that Valve makes with a "2" on the end.

I feel like the L4D2 team just got dissed

Tanolen

careksims said:
Oh hell yes! I buy them in a heart beat. Need push button to talk too!

Just beat it. What a ride. Very awesome and hilarious ride. Love love love loved it! Some puzzles gave me headaches but when I figured them out, it's an awesome feeling. :) Can't wait to do some co-op soon!

Aw man, little keychain turrets that you press a button on to get them to speak their lines from the game.

Hire me valve!

JaseC

balladofwindfishes said:
I feel like the L4D2 team just got dissed

I imagine the Episode Three team nonchalantly sipping their coffee as they throw paper aeroplanes around the place. "Who cares what they say? It's not as though we're even working on Half-Life 2 anyway." *laughs*

Just got back from Walmart with my PS3 copy of Portal2 and Mortal Kombat Poster!!

went with PS3 for the steam stuff, I don't have a computer that can play it but damn I want to reward them.

Tucah

you speak so well
ultron87 said:
What's the PS3 control scheme?

I'll have the option of playing co-op as either splitscreen or with 2 computers in adjacent rooms (so we can just talk to each other at a slightly higher volume). So I'm wondering whether the fact that my second PS3 controller has a sticky shoulder button will be an issue.

L1/R1 to shoot orange/blue portals respectively
Square for action (pick up items, press buttons, etc.)
X to jump

biggkidd32 said:
Use the stream to create momentum to get the regular cube. Once you have the regular cube it use to turn off the stream and get the laser cube. After that it should be easy sailing.

There's simply no way I can gain enough momentum to reach the cube by placing the stream on the tilted tile, and not by a long shot on the flat tile next to the catapult tile

clav

Vinterbird said:
Yup. You're right, I just wasn't looking at them right.
Puzzle spoilers:

First get the two cubes.

1. The deformed regular cube can be obtained by using potential energy (falling). You'll need to portal the blue beam and the ground underneath you. Ride up the hover beam to the top of the level (where the big red button is). Close off the beam by creating the beam portal hole at the slanted trajectory to allow you to be projected to that cube.

The result is you fall from the ceiling into the hole you created to go up and fly through the new hole from the trajectory.

2. The laser cube can be obtained by first unpowering the blue beam using the deformed cube you pick up (Block the red power laser). Next, create portals at the two trajectories (one you used to get the first cube and the second one is left of the blue beam. Jump on the trampoline switch, which will bounce you to the first trajectory, and you'll fly out from the second one, allowing you to reach the laser cube.

--------------

After that's all said and done, then you'll need to work your way powering and unpowering the platforms to get to the top.

So back where you rode to the ceiling, put the deformed cube there.

Put the laser cube to way that allows you to create a portal easily to the laser power connector nearby the platforms. With those pieces in place, hop onto the platform and power on the first platform by beaming the portal correctly to the laser. Hop onto the second platform and now portal the deformed cube to the ceiling.

JaseC

Darklord said:
Why in gods name does this game have the mouse sensitivity down so low as default. Who could play like that?

It felt a little slow at first, but I got used to it very quickly and had no issues whatsoever. I use an MX518.

Sober

What's with all this common with the PC version having a "Saving ... don't turn off your console message" ... I finished the game in 6 hours and never saw this message ever. Unless this is saving from the menu thing, since I just spam my quicksave button anyway...

Damn I was stuck on this gel puzzle for 10 or 15 minutes. I think its time for a break.

Edit: If only there was smooth jazz to reinvigorate my mind and spirit.

Top Bottom