• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

careksims

I loved the music in this game.
I liked how the music picked up when you did certain things

Had everything in max settings/way more than 60FPS = buttery smooth.

Yeah the voodoo in the source engines. I'm still amaze at the shadows and lighting. The new mechanics in the game are genius!

I was grinning the whole time. Just so many great moments. Best single player I played this year.

bud

kinda ot, but: i want to buy the orange box for the ps3 because i've never really given hl2 and portal a try, except for the online portal flash game which was pretty cool. i've read about awful framerates, however. is it really that bad?

GJS

Dechaios said:
For the co-op bots? I was just asking if there is a reason to buy it- will there be more co-op stuff added later on that makes the cosmetics worth it?
There are achievements in the game which give at least some of the customisation items.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Corky said:
Well I got past the part I had troubles as soon as I got the first hint, but then I got stuck at the exit for chapter 6 for the longest 10 frigging minutes of my life. Whoever was in charge of the level design for the latter part of chapter 6 should be ashamed. ITS TERRIBLE :mad:

The beauty of portal is the genius in its leveldesign in general. And now I got stuck 1 meter before the exit for ages just because you can't see that there's a gate blocking you "up there" that I was crashing into 4000 mph ad naseam? Yeah, horrible. Going to take a break because I've been on clouds playing this game and the last 20-30 minutes has put me in hell and I want to enjoy the game...

I took a few breaks myself when I got stuck. Once my head was cleared
of all the hurtful insults
the puzzle tended to click.

DoctorWho said:
That's not the way I did.

I created a portal on the floor and then one where you previously had the gel coming out. I jumped from the elevator into the portal on the floor and let inertia do the rest.
MGrant said:
To expand,

leave the gel-shooting portal there, move the gel-receiving portal to the nearby expanse of floor below and launch yourself through it after the gel is on the pillar.

I probably would've done the same thing if there wasn't blue gel all over the place.

Edit: Given he hasn't yet returned to this thread it's safe to say he figured it out. I'm sure he'll be back, though. Like Batman.

Finally got it and played until chapter 2. It's pretty damn fun and one of the funnier games I've played in a very long time. Can't wait to put some more time into it later.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
distrbnce said:
Or, maybe even a gaffer could help if they already have Portal 2, if you just give them your info for both. Perhaps an admin would help? I'm still hazy on all the connection hoops though, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, that would probably work, but it's more of a risk (he'd have to give his PSN login/pw to the gaf person, as well as the one-time redemption code). Family members are much easier to take revenge on if something goes wrong.

Grisby

Urg, the loading times are short on the PS3 but theres so many. Forgot how its basically puzzle/load in Portal.

Kind of annoyance but the game itself is decent so far.

JaseC

AmandaMatricks said:
Ah, of course! Thanks a lot, that did it! I'm starting to get really tired after playing this far in one sitting so I'm going to call it quits for today. Such an amazing game!
Favorite quote thus far:
"When I punch in those numbers, my calculator shows a happy face" Had me in stitches!

No worries. Glad I'm not the only one who got through it like that. :p
Cave
has a lot of great lines, I love it. In fact, every character does. The writing is practically faultless.

Forkball said:
In the fourth test room. Oh god, why do I have homework due soon?!

At the beginning? I absolutely love the atmosphere in the opening sections of the game. It's palpable. I don't think I've ever been sucked into a world that quickly before.

Corky said:
Well I got past the part I had troubles as soon as I got the first hint, but then I got stuck at the exit for chapter 6 for the longest 10 frigging minutes of my life. Whoever was in charge of the level design for the latter part of chapter 6 should be ashamed. ITS TERRIBLE :mad:
I did get stumped a few times in that area of the game and its certainly more challenging the average test chambers. But then again I also enjoy the fact that there are some puzzles that aren't a cake walk.

Either way I got some dill pickles for the mashed potatoes, a bag of doritos and some mars candy bars. Should be enough to see me through to the end of the single player portion of Portal 2.

JaseC

shadyspace said:
Hey is there co-op splitscreen on PC?

You can enable it with some config editing and console commands, just like Alien Swarm and the L4D games before it. (When Valve will roll out a patch giving the PC build of the Source Engine official split-screen support is anyone's guess.)

EmCeeGramr said:

End of chapter 5, right? :)

Mr. Spinnington said:
did anyone else get a huge MGS3 vibe during parts of this game

I definitely got a BioShock vibe during the
yesteryear areas of Aperture Science

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mr. Spinnington said:
did anyone else get a huge MGS3 vibe during parts of this game
Yeah OMG Wheatley is just like OTACON and Chell is like Eva and Glados is like The Boss.

I mean Eva and Chell both have half-unzipped jumpsuits. This shit is undeniable.

MGrant

JaseC said:
At the beginning? I absolutely love the atmosphere in the opening sections of the game. It's palpable. I don't think I've ever been sucked into a world that quickly before.

I agree. It's like the opening HL1 tram on crazy pills. I am also happy with the way Valve kept the very beginning of the game under wraps before release so that you're surprised and engaged immediately.

Tawpgun

The room when you first see the white gel.

How.

I wanted to get through it without help but I have to cave(lol) in here as I have NO idea.

EDIT: .... You know that feeling when you overlook something blatantly obvious?

Yeah.

JaseC said:
I definitely got a BioShock vibe during the
yesteryear areas of Aperture Science
stallionfree is hilarious, but this is the section i was talking about

i'm a huge sucker for
alternate history and that time period
though. was really expecting to
come across some conspiracy theory stuff

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
JaseC said:
You can enable it with some config editing and console commands, just like Alien Swarm and the L4D games before it. (When Valve will roll out a patch giving the PC build of the Source Engine official split-screen support is anyone's guess.)
Probably about the same time they roll out their couch/gamepad friendly user interface. There's going to be a really interesting period of time before the next console generation where mainstream netbooks will outperform the HD consoles and Valve will no doubt be taking full advantage of it.

blamite

(minor gameplay spoiler)
Hard Light Bridges
are the BEST. THING. EVER. You could make an entire game based on the concept.
Really, a lot of this games mechanics could be turned into whole games. I can't wait to see some of the custom maps that come up. I can't wait to finish the rest of the game, for that matter.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
AHHHHHHHHHHH...

I can't believe this I must be the very last stop on the UPS route. This is what I get for being greedy and ordering the PS3 version to have both when really all I would need is the Steam version.

Fuck.

Divius

Just played a bit of co-op and loved it :D I think I've played enough for today tho. I've played for over 10 hours (well I had a shower + quick lunch while I was paused, but still)

Chapter 4, room with 3 laser to open the door and only two refracting cube. Halp :(

Can't believe I've been stuck in here for 20+ minutes... I just miss the thing. It's obviously right here, considering the small size of the room. I just can't wrap my mind arround it.

Ark

Just finished the game, and I gotta say. It's fucking incredible.

The final boss fight, Glados letting you free, and finally seeing the surface has to make the ending probably one of my favourite endings of a game ever.

Game of the year.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
UnluckyKate said:
Chapter 4, room with 3 laser to open the door and only two refracting cube. Halp :(

Can't believe I've been stuck in here for 20+ minutes... I just miss the thing. It's obviously right here, considering the small size of the room. I just can't wrap my mind arround it.
If it's the room I think you're in
You can aim the laser with portals to hit two of the laser switches at the same time and then use the refracting cubes to hit the other one.
Not sure if it's the right room, though.

MGrant

UnluckyKate said:

Hint:
Remember you can use a portal to redirect one of the beams.

oatmeal

Banned
Soooo, me and my friend went in on a 2-Pack of the game...and he gifted it to me, I spent the last hour downloading it...and then...

"Your video hardware does not meet the minimum requirements that we have set for the game. This game cannot be run on this hardware.

Your Driver details

OS Version: MacOS 10.6.7
Description: ATY,RadeonX1900"

So what do I do? It's an older Mac Pro (2007), but I've never had a problem. Now that I do, I don't want to buy a new card just for this game, is there any way to get a refund on the game or anything?

bud said:
kinda ot, but: i want to buy the orange box for the ps3 because i've never really given hl2 and portal a try, except for the online portal flash game which was pretty cool. i've read about awful framerates, however. is it really that bad?
Greatly exaggerated. Buy it. I forget which half life game it was but there is one part in a warehouse that literally slowed down to 1fps for 15 seconds but that was it. Perfectly playable package (tf2 is gimped of course compared to the pc and had about 50 people playing last time I checked a year ago) and worth buying for the dirt cheap price it sells for now.

Mad Max

A27 Tawpgun said:
The room when you first see the white gel.

How.

I wanted to get through it without help but I have to cave(lol) in here as I have NO idea.

EDIT: .... You know that feeling when you overlook something blatantly obvious?

Yeah.

On the opposite side (from where you enter) are two tall pillars, with a ramp right next to them. You have to use that ramp to get up on the big platform on the other side. But to gain enough speed you need do first spray the two pillars with white gel (work your way up by switching the portal from pillar to pillar) until the paint has reached the top. From there you can put a portal on the ramp and one on the ground, and fall into it.

JaseC said:
End of chapter 5, right? :)
No, the ending period. Holy shit. Pretty much everything from Chapter 8 until the end had me in tears.

Anyway, on the subject of "that" achievement that got people so worked up before launch:
it's funny that it just turned out to be a life preserver with "Borealis" written on it, next to an empty dry dock. People expecting a huge HL3/Ep3 teaser (or that one dude screaming about how obviously Valve was forcing HL players to buy Portal 2 in order to get the full story) sure did overhype themselves.

UnluckyKate said:

Is it the one when
GlaDOS says she fixed the test chambers?
If so:

There's a laser that's hitting a wall diagonally, use the cubes to send the other two laser to the same spot. Place a portal there and the pillar near the door, the 3 lasers should activate the door.

Stabby McSter said:
Well, I accidentally found
the Borealis!

I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? D:
Where is it? I'm afraid I might have passed it if it is optional.

Grabbed the 360 version this morning and cannot wait to give it a go. Love the art direction in the first so I'm expecting to be nothing less than wowed by the sequel.

Ark

oatmeal said:
Soooo, me and my friend went in on a 2-Pack of the game...and he gifted it to me, I spent the last hour downloading it...and then...

"Your video hardware does not meet the minimum requirements that we have set for the game. This game cannot be run on this hardware.

Your Driver details

OS Version: MacOS 10.6.7
Description: ATY,RadeonX1900"

So what do I do? It's an older Mac Pro (2007), but I've never had a problem. Now that I do, I don't want to buy a new card just for this game, is there any way to get a refund on the game or anything?

I don't think there's a way to get a refund, the systems reqs are clearly posted on the store page. Seriously unlucky though, my 2009 iMac handles Portal 2 just fine using an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

Stabby McSter said:
Well, I accidentally found
the Borealis!

I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? D:

Where is this?! Does anyone have a picture?

Top Bottom