• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

John

just popping in to say that this is hilarious

CP201main2.png

(from the valve store)

RedSwirl

Ugh. Anybody figured out how to switch the FOV back to 75? I imagine Valve will probably give us one eventually, and I know a lot of people are fans of 90, but I really don't like the fish-eye look this whole game has.

pakkit

Banned
I have but one question. How will this run on my Mac set-up?

I'm rocking a 2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB memory and an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. It doesn't have too much trouble with other Valve games, but since this is a new and improved baby, I wanna be sure. The system requirements say I make the specs, but if it's just going to chug along I don't wanna drop 50 on it.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
dark10x said:
Downloading on PC, playing on PS3.

Doing the same. Loving the synced saves and trophies/achievements. I don't know how likely it is that other developers owned by large publishers will ever make use of this but it would be so awesome if Deus Ex, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, etc did this. Don't even need them to try cross platform play where it wouldn't fit (Battlefield 3 will be more players per game on PC) but just having the installed copy on the PC in case of PS3 or disc problems is great.

Up to Chapter 2, game is terrific so far. Excellent work, Valve!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol co-op fucking destroys single player in terms of goodness and singleplayer was already the best thing I played since like the Orange Box.

Valve fucking annihilates any competition for game of the year.

Kyaw

Valve knows how to make a damn good game. Seriously.

All other FPSs like COD, Halo and non-Valve games are all shit-tier now.

Finished this in one sitting minus dinner break.
GOTY at moment for me.

Now i gotta do co-op and
find Borealis
I also enjoyed Wheatley's character. Voice acting in this game is godly.
One thing i didnt enjoy was the loading screens, why u no implement streaming tech Valve?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of note, you can be signed into Steam on your PC while using Steam on PS3. In addition, you can load Portal 2 on your PC and PS3 at the same time with both being connected.

On top of that, if you chat on your PS3 (I plugged in a keyboard) the Steam chat window ALSO appears on your PC at the same time. So you could start chatting on PS3 and then move to your PC and continue.

Very cool.

Also, tried PC version. Runs great as expected, but I'm impressed that the PS3 port is so close. Nothing seems to be missing on PS3. Framerate is 30 rather than 60 and image quality isn't as good (though still very good), but everything else is there. Loading isn't even really that much faster on PC. Enjoyable on both platforms for sure.

Oxx

So that's the first three chapters done and I think that's it for me today. Great stuff so far. Nothing that has left me particularly stumped, but I'm sure there's a lot more to come.

Burger said:
You can try quitting and restarting Steam in the hope you get onto a different content server, but it's a crapshoot.

abunai said:
You can try changing your location in Settings to somewhere obscure, but it's probably gonna be the same everywhere.

Thanks guys, worked a treat.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hnggh I can't wrap my head around this.

Chapter 1-5 were gold, brilliant, orgasmic. The crescendo that leads upto the climax which is chapter 5. Wonderful, loving it goty goty goty, *throws roses*

Chapter 6&7

I'm trying not to puke, the atmosphere, the simplicity, the details, that "touch" NONE of it present. Soo bad, these 2 chapters were soo bad please god tell me the game picks up because if the "quality" is like this then I might aswell stop and preserve the beauty that was the first parts of the game.

Dear god, I can't let it go. How ....what were they thinking? Fuck. Terrible.

eshwaaz

Very early in, but the first 10 minutes of this game may be the most I've ever laughed at a video game. The delivery is absolutely brilliant.

I really wish they'd improved Chell's jumping animation. It's seriously bad; a stark contrast to the quality of the rest of the visual presentation. She doesn't even bend her legs before jumping; she just kind of rises. Far from game-ruining, but a shame as it's easily fixed.

Evlar

Banned
AvidNobody said:
One day shipping was the fastest option. Granted this was a few days ago. But I'm even on Amazon Prime...
Hmm. For whatever reason Release Day shipping was cheaper and faster than one-day for me (and should, in fact, be at my house right now). Maybe just an anomaly with where you live?

Kyaw

Corky said:

Chapter 1-5 were gold, brilliant, orgasmic. The crescendo that leads upto the climax which is chapter 5. Wonderful, loving it goty goty goty, *throws roses*

Chapter 6&7

I'm trying not to puke, the atmosphere, the simplicity, the details, that "touch" NONE of it present. Soo bad, these 2 chapters were soo bad please god tell me the game picks up because if the "quality" is like this then I might aswell stop and preserve the beauty that was the first parts of the game.

Duuuuude, play on!
The ending makes up for everything.

Also i found Chapter 6 and 7
a nice change from the clinical looking test chambers. It was great to experience the old days of testing procedures and making my own way across broken paths and Cave Johnson

Sober

A27 Tawpgun said:
Only con to this game is the multitude of loading screens...
or, if you step into door #2, you can be part of the crowd up in arms because of:

-"don't turn off your console" references in the PC version
-the robot enrichment center (the store) as a giant DLC scheme

Personally, I didn't mind the loading screens, it felt more like a pacing thing, because there were cases where, yes, a single (even simple) puzzle is devoted to a single map, but then again we have just giant, more intricate maps without loading screens placed throughout.

Tawpgun

Corky said:

Chapter 6&7

Not gonna lie. I kind of agree. I;m on Chapter 8 and its a bit better, but
GlaDoS isn't the same. I feel like I'm just grinding through tests now.

traveler

Not Wario
Corky said:

Chapter 6&7

I agree that the visuals of 6 and 7 were weaker and I even think that there was a little too much in the way of "fling filler" where you're basically moving from actual puzzle to actual puzzle, but how the hell are they terrible? The level design with the
goo- excluding the white one- is just as good if not better than anything in the first part. Cave and seeing the progression of Aperture stuff was also awesome.
Are you just commenting from an aesthetics standpoint and ignoring the game design?

Casp0r

Banned
eshwaaz said:
I really wish they'd improved Chell's jumping animation. It's seriously bad; a stark contrast to the quality of the rest of the visual presentation. She doesn't even bend her legs before jumping; she just kind of rises. Far from game-ruining, but a shame as it's easily fixed.

I doubt it's that easy ...

Think about when you go to jump, you have to bend your legs first then push up ... since the jump button in Portal 2 (and most games) require an immediate 'jump' when you hit it. The game can't possible predict when your going to jump so it can start the animation before hand (bending the legs) ... and if it tried fitting the animation after the jump button, it would have to be so fast it'll look even weirder.

The best solution would be to have the jump button as 'charge and release' which isn't worth the extra control complexity for such a rarely seen animation.

CloakedPuppet said:
apples and oysters

I meant for my game i imagine as a woman i bed game of the year.

I don't understand why people dislike the white goo. Love it. Painting that one huge room all over with it was one of the best parts of the game for me.

Loved chapter 6 and 7 too.

Really the only problem I have with this game are the load screens. Almost wish they just froze the game view for a few seconds instead ala Half Life 2 and Portal 1. Kinda breaks the flow a bit too much for my liking. In L4D they were fine since you needed a break from the action.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Taking a break from playing the single player on PC (just got past chapter 6), this game is soooo freakin' good! As expected, the art direction is incredible, but on top of it the image quality and lighting are ridiculous.

I cannot wait to try out coop once I beat SP...

Angst

Hmm, I just noticed there's a "splitscreen_config" file in the Portal2 folder. Maybe splitscreen on PC is on the way after all.
Blu_LED said:
How come it says I played 0 hours when I click Portal 2 on Steam? I just played about 2 hours on the PS3.
It updates after a little while.

Evlar

Banned
Angst said:
Hmm, I just noticed there's a "splitscreen.cfg" file in the Portal2 folder. Maybe splitscreen on PC is on the way after all.
Just a remnant of the code left over after porting it from PS3.
Awesome Animals said:
Hmm...Critics love love love Portal 2. GAF loves Portal 2. Metacritic users...not so much. Interesting.
Metacritic users = /v/, in this case, bitching about whatever has them cranky today.

derFeef

Mhh so good. Don't want to stop, but need to sleep and I don't want it to end in one day. I am right at where
GLaDOS becomes a potato, at "The Fall". Holy shit!

Anyway, does Steam have troubles recording gametime? My playtime seems very unrealistic.

pakkit

Banned
pakkit said:
I have but one question. How will this run on my Mac set-up?

I'm rocking a 2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB memory and an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M. It doesn't have too much trouble with other Valve games, but since this is a new and improved baby, I wanna be sure. The system requirements say I make the specs, but if it's just going to chug along I don't wanna drop 50 on it.
Quoting for impatience. :(

Awesome Animals said:
Hmm...Critics love love love Portal 2. GAF loves Portal 2. Metacritic users...not so much. Interesting.

Hats + ARG = hate

Absolutely nothing to do with the game itself.

Angst said:
Hmm, I just noticed there's a "splitscreen_config" file in the Portal2 folder. Maybe splitscreen on PC is on the way after all.

The recent Source games had splitscreen enabled from the console. I think Portal2 does as well.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
traveler said:
but how the hell are they terrible? The level design with the
goo- excluding the white one- is just as good if not better than anything in the first part. Cave and seeing the progression of Aperture stuff was also awesome.
Are you just commenting from an aesthetics standpoint and ignoring the game design?

Oh, the contrary actually, I found the aesthetics to be , just like Kyaw said, a nice change of scenery from the regular stuff. It is the game design that I despised in those two chapters.

- Forced puzzles, nothing made "sense" frankly
- No sense of accomplishment just , " oh thank god I found the 100x100 pixel sheet of wall I could use my portalgun a million miles away in these giiiiigantic levels"
- Dragged way too long, should have been half as long to be honest.
- The mechanics they introduce aren't THAT amazing that they need 2 long chapters dedicated to them
- Some wierd backtracking which, imo, goes against eeeeverything that Portal 2 is with its testchambers and bitesized levels
- Even though I commended the aesthetics you can only stand soo much it, and in the final stretch it just lost its uniqueness

I reckon I could go on but frankly I rather forget these chapters and focus on the good stuff ahead. I took a sneakpeak at chapter 8 and my faith was pretty much restored 5 seconds in...

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
One thing I really really appreciate about this sequel is how much bigger the scale is of the puzzles, so much so that they gave you a zoom button. I remember first noticing I can zoom and thinking why would I ever need that, meanwhile I was pressing it all the time later on in the game. Portal 1 seems ridiculously cramped in comparison.

Sober

RoboPlato said:
Metacritic users are probably too dumb to get through it.
Nah, can't be, they finished the game in 3-4 hours while the rest of us spent 6-8 on it. They are the real master race.

Just finished the single player and I loved it. It was really refreshing, and I had to say they really had some great dialog. The quips thrown at you were awesome and genuinely had me laughing.

Awesome Animals said:

there's a troll campaign going on. It's pretty funny, they act all individualistic, but when 4chan tells them to do something they do it

Top Bottom