• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Mr. Spinnington said:
i could stand to hear a little more on how or at least where
Ark said:
Where is this?! Does anyone have a picture?
Sgt.Pepper said:
Where is it? I'm afraid I might have passed it if it is optional.

I missed it my first time. It's
at the beginning of the second underground set of chambers, when it switches to 70s Aperture and right before you reunite with PotatoDOS. When you enter the offices, look to the left wall for a door partially hidden by a file cabinet.

Also, is Steam not calculating play time correctly? I know it took me around 6-7 hours to beat the single player, but it's saying 4.

Ferrio

Banned
So my rating for the new mechanics:

1. Light Bridges
2. Hover/Repulse Beams
3. Red Gel
4. Blue Gel
5. Mirror cubes
568. White Gel

Fuck the white gel.

oatmeal

Banned
Ark said:
I don't think there's a way to get a refund, the systems reqs are clearly posted on the store page. Seriously unlucky though, my 2009 iMac handles Portal 2 just fine using an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

Yeah, my buddy just called and asked if I wanted the game and I said yes...didn't even think about the min. sys req.

The worst part is, I had a 2010 MBP that would have worked fine, but it was stolen in January.

So I guess I'm SOL here.

After trading in a few things I hadn't been playing, I ended up getting about $50 in trade-in credit at Gamestop. Unfortunately they were sold out, and the girl at the desk gave me the whole "You should pre-order" guilt-trip. I took my card, drove down the street and went to another Gamestop and picked it up no problem, although I noticed that there were only three or so PS3 versions left in the drawer, and only two 360 ones. So, I guess the game is selling pretty well.

Now, I'm stuck at school, waiting anxiously for my classes to end (I have classes until around 8:00 tonight), and it's pretty brutal. Waiting for the game to come out was one thing, but waiting while you have the game in your car is rough. Can't wait to play, though.

Burger

oatmeal said:
Soooo, me and my friend went in on a 2-Pack of the game...and he gifted it to me, I spent the last hour downloading it...and then...

"Your video hardware does not meet the minimum requirements that we have set for the game. This game cannot be run on this hardware.

Your Driver details

OS Version: MacOS 10.6.7
Description: ATY,RadeonX1900"

So what do I do? It's an older Mac Pro (2007), but I've never had a problem. Now that I do, I don't want to buy a new card just for this game, is there any way to get a refund on the game or anything?

Bootcamp? I imagine the requirements may be less stringent on Windows, but I'm only guessing.

Ark

EmCeeGramr said:
I missed it my first time. It's
at the beginning of the second underground set of chambers, when it switches to 70s Aperture and right before you reunite with PotatoDOS. When you enter the offices, look to the left wall for a door partially hidden by a file cabinet.

Also, is Steam not calculating play time correctly? I know it took me around 6-7 hours to beat the single player, but it's saying 4.

Steam says my played time is 4 hours too, but it took me at least 8 hours.

Guess it's time to go look for the Boreailis.

oatmeal said:
Yeah, my buddy just called and asked if I wanted the game and I said yes...didn't even think about the min. sys req.

The worst part is, I had a 2010 MBP that would have worked fine, but it was stolen in January.

So I guess I'm SOL here.

Damn that's unlucky :/ I guess at least you have it for a future PC/Mac? :(

ConfusedMan09

Neo Member
Absolutely loving the song The National wrote for the game. It's awesome.

For those who havn't heard it The National – “Exile Vilify”

wikA0.jpg

I know heaps of praise have already been dumped on this game, but man. A game like this is why I'm a gamer. It could be delivered properly in no other medium, and I'm just happy as hell to be able to play it.

Weenerz

Banned
The way they show emotion on the characters visually in this game are on the same level as pixar. The voice acting is also amazing.

Nizz

Man, game got here at around 2:00 pm but I won't be able to get to it till sometime later. So anxious to play. :)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Walmart order that I couldn't cancel arrived way early (they said the 28th lol) so it looks like I'll be using the Amazon copy to return to Walmart in store.

I'm Fahrenhype on PSN and Green Marine on Steam for anybody that wants to do co-op.

Salsa

god fucking dammit Valve, god-fucking-dammit

One of the (i dont wanna say THE best cause youll just think im biased since i just finished it) best games ive ever played in my life, and definetly Valve's best game yet.

I am out of words, god dammit.

Gonna start a dev commentary run asap.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Downloading on PC, playing on PS3. Valve really knocked this one out of the park as far as ports go. The image quality is some of the best on PS3 (if it's not MLAA then they need to share their solution 'cuz it's damn good) and the framerate is a locked 30 fps 99% of the time while looking approximately 97.43% better than Half-Life 2. I didn't think Source could be pushed this far. The lighting and shadows are WAAAAYYYY beyond any previous Source game and the physics are also at a new level of quality. The opening scene was truly jaw dropping and the way all of the bits of rubble move about as the facility transforms is really something.

Game is just as good thus far as everyone has been saying. Really really outstanding.

My single complaint is the loading. As with every Valve game ever there are just too many damn loading screens. I suspect this will be less of an issue later as puzzles require more time to solve, but early on you just keep hitting them. At least this time they are polished and smoothly transition (unlike the early HL2 days, which were a mess). I like how they extend the elevator sequences as long as dialog is being spoken to avoid cutting anything off. On PS3, the loading screens take ~10 seconds or so. The length isn't bad, rather, the frequency.

I suspect the PC version will load faster (I'm expecting at least 50% increase). The fact that there was no install on PS3 and it still only requires 10 seconds is pretty impressive especially considering this is the Source engine. HL2 with 1gb of ram would take as long as 30-45 seconds back in the day. Loading these maps in less time with 256mb system ram from an optical disc is pretty good. They still need to work on implementing streaming into Source.

Won

Man, finished it in one sitting. My brain hurts now.

Game is downright hysterical. It just doesn't stop being crazy and funny.

Ark

SalsaShark said:
god fucking dammit Valve, god-fucking-dammit

One of the (i dont wanna say THE best cause youll just think im biased since i just finished it) best games ive ever played in my life, and definetly Valve's best game yet.

I am out of words, god dammit.

Gonna start a dev commentary run asap.

I think I might just replace the final chapter right now so I can get to experience the ending again. No game has made me want to do that before.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, had about two 3 hour sittings so far. I think I'm nearing the endgame? I don't know.

The Cave Johnson stuff is great!

(humor spoilers)
Good news! You won't be having mantis dna injected into you today. Bad news: You'll be fighting off an army of mantis-human hybrids. Follow the yellow line and grab a gun.

(mega spoiler)
The plot twist involving wheatley actually bummed me out. I was definitely talking back to him and saying "yeah i can see it" etc..

I feel close to the end, but who knows. So far I can say without a doubt this is the best gaming experience I've had since the original Halo on Xbox1. The writing, acting, pacing, engagment, gameplay, interactivity, humor, EVERYTHING. This game does not have a dull moment. It truly is the absolute pinnacle of the craft. Valve has truly done something special here. Hell, if you ask me I'd say Portal has become Valve's flagship series over Half Life now.

The tech is unbelievable too, the morphing environments, never seen anything like it in a game before. And I'm playing on very low quality settings.

I'm positively GLOWING with how much I'm enjoying this. I called all my friends to gush about it but they haven't played it. AND there is a whole nother co-op campaign after this one.

After being so jaded and not playing any big releases since well, Borderlands, Portal2 has reminded why I love gaming so much. It's just absolutely jaw dropping on every level.

(minor spoiler)
the bring your daughter to work day printed on old printer paper with the perforated ribbon was AMAZING, and the little kiddie science projects too.

This game really does make things like CoD, Uncharted, Gears, Halo, hell nearly every other top tier franchise look laughable in comparison.

oatmeal said:
Soooo, me and my friend went in on a 2-Pack of the game...and he gifted it to me, I spent the last hour downloading it...and then...

"Your video hardware does not meet the minimum requirements that we have set for the game. This game cannot be run on this hardware.

Your Driver details

OS Version: MacOS 10.6.7
Description: ATY,RadeonX1900"

So what do I do? It's an older Mac Pro (2007), but I've never had a problem. Now that I do, I don't want to buy a new card just for this game, is there any way to get a refund on the game or anything?

Bootcamp is the answer.
I'm playing on a 2007mbp with 2gigs of ram a 256mbx1600 and a 2.33ghz c2d.
Running at 800x480 with everything on medium and shaders set to low. It's definitely 60fps and above at most parts. There were a few dips during especially detailed environments, but nothing unplayable. Overall I'm very pleased with the performance and fidelity. The game looks great. Even on my rig. Kinda proud of my old comp, actually.

JackEtc

So my friend just got home with his PS3 copy, and I want the PC copy. How do we go about doing this? Do I make a PSN and link my steam with my PSN, and then he can just play P2 on his PSN?

EDIT: Yep that's what you do. Got it working.

If this game had a "forge"-like mode ala Halo or just a super simplified level editor that anyone could use I think this would pretty much be the best game ever made.

Don't think source engine can handle stuff like that yet though.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
-- ANYONE ELSE WHO CAN"T GET PORTAL 2 TO START DOWNLOADING VIA STEAM ON MAC --

Quit Steam.

Go to home -> Library -> Application Support -> Steam -> SteamApps

Find "portal 2 common.ncf" and move it somewhere else.

Bam. Open Steam, start downloading. I really don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but holy shit, I was about to rage hard. It kept saying the server was too busy, but clearly that was a lie. Whatever.

Pseudo_Sam said:
-- ANYONE ELSE WHO CAN"T GET PORTAL 2 TO START DOWNLOADING VIA STEAM ON MAC --

Quit Steam.

Go to home -> Library -> Application Support -> Steam -> SteamApps

Find "portal 2 common.ncf" and move it somewhere else.

Bam. Open Steam, start downloading. I really don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but holy shit, I was about to rage hard. It kept saying the server was too busy, but clearly that was a lie. Whatever.

Hero. Thank you so much for this.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dark10x said:
Downloading on PC, playing on PS3. Valve really knocked this one out of the park as far as ports go. The image quality is some of the best on PS3 (if it's not MLAA then they need to share their solution 'cuz it's damn good) and the framerate is a locked 30 fps 99% of the time while looking approximately 97.43% better than Half-Life 2. I didn't think Source could be pushed this far. The lighting and shadows are WAAAAYYYY beyond any previous Source game and the physics are also at a new level of quality. The opening scene was truly jaw dropping and the way all of the bits of rubble move about as the facility transforms is really something.

Game is just as good thus far as everyone has been saying. Really really outstanding.

My single complaint is the loading. As with every Valve game ever there are just too many damn loading screens. I suspect this will be less of an issue later as puzzles require more time to solve, but early on you just keep hitting them. At least this time they are polished and smoothly transition (unlike the early HL2 days, which were a mess). I like how they extend the elevator sequences as long as dialog is being spoken to avoid cutting anything off. On PS3, the loading screens take ~10 seconds or so. The length isn't bad, rather, the frequency.

I suspect the PC version will load faster (I'm expecting at least 50% increase). The fact that there was no install on PS3 and it still only requires 10 seconds is pretty impressive especially considering this is the Source engine. HL2 with 1gb of ram would take as long as 30-45 seconds back in the day. Loading these maps in less time with 256mb system ram from an optical disc is pretty good. They still need to work on implementing streaming into Source.

I was looking for vs 360 comparisons and going by this I'd say PS3 wins. Lighting and AA are clearly better.

derFeef said:
This game is magnificent.
Yeah, I wasn't all that hyped for the game but I have very much enjoyed what I have played so far.

I wasn't following the game closely and was pleasantly surprised to learn there is both a single player story line continuation of the first game and a separate Robot-based Co-op storylne.

JaseC said:
I definitely got a BioShock vibe during the
yesteryear areas of Aperture Science
Yeah me too.

How did my Mortal Kombat game and Blu Ray arrive before this? I would think UPS is better than someone named Lasership. Damn I want to get my co op on soon.

Ferrio said:
Someone mentioned you can be spoiled in the commentary

Well, that's kind of the idea right? They talk about how they came up with things and how they relate to other parts of the game.

Dev commentary is not for a first playthrough, IMO.

oh god!

just finished it. came home from work around 1600 and did it all on one sitting, the single player that is. took about 7 hours.

best damn 7 hours ive had gaming in a long long time. had it seems forgotten how it is to get completely lost in a game.

every thing the the way the story unfolded, to the new and old mechanics, the amazing job valve did with the engine and of course the voice acting. going to take a rest now and mill over the experience and then on to the co-op.

but first, some food :)

PS very glad i did it this way so i dont have to worry about spoilers and such. HAVE FUN PEOPLE!

abunai

Ad Infinitum said:
Is there a way to speed up my download through steam or is it being slow cos of the millions of people accessing the servers now?

You can try changing your location in Settings to somewhere obscure, but it's probably gonna be the same everywhere.

Burger

Ad Infinitum said:
Is there a way to speed up my download through steam or is it being slow cos of the millions of people accessing the servers now?

You can try quitting and restarting Steam in the hope you get onto a different content server, but it's a crapshoot.

Top Bottom