• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Ferrio

Banned
Dax01 said:
What's everyone's opinion of chapters 6 and 7, then? Are they as bad as Corky says?

Non-spoiler impressions for me, of course. :)

I enjoyed them, I think they were some of the more challenging areas in the game.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Ferrio said:
I enjoyed them, I think they were some of the more challenging areas in the game.

Oh I agree, chapter 6-7 are the toughest ones thus far, but not in an enjoyable way.

Corky said:
Oh, the contrary actually, I found the aesthetics to be , just like Kyaw said, a nice change of scenery from the regular stuff. It is the game design that I despised in those two chapters.

- Forced puzzles, nothing made "sense" frankly
- No sense of accomplishment just , " oh thank god I found the 100x100 pixel sheet of wall I could use my portalgun a million miles away in these giiiiigantic levels"
- Dragged way too long, should have been half as long to be honest.
- The mechanics they introduce aren't THAT amazing that they need 2 long chapters dedicated to them
- Some wierd backtracking which, imo, goes against eeeeverything that Portal 2 is with its testchambers and bitesized levels
- Even though I commended the aesthetics you can only stand soo much it, and in the final stretch it just lost its uniqueness

I reckon I could go on but frankly I rather forget these chapters and focus on the good stuff ahead. I took a sneakpeak at chapter 8 and my faith was pretty much restored 5 seconds in...

You have a point with the distant portal walls, although they do remind you that you have zoom right before those start and in typical valve style they put a light on most of them to draw your attention to them. i didn't have a big problem with any of them.

The rest of your complaints I just don't agree with. Those levels were there to give you a non-sterile/non-straightforward environment to work with. Hell in most of them you don't even 'solve' them to get through the sphere, you have to work around the original puzzle which is mostly non-functional. I think you backtrack once... maybe twice, in order to drop a portal at a leaking pipe so you can use the goo further along in the puzzle. Didn't hurt the game at all to me.

But to each his own.

Ark

Dax01 said:
What's everyone's opinion of chapters 6 and 7, then? Are they as bad as Corky says?

You will slam your head against a wall trying to work them out. Then once you work them out, you'll slam your head against a wall for feeling like an idiot.

All joking aside, they're the most challenging portion of the game, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

laika09

Dax01 said:

They were a great change of scenery. The art direction was great. I don't understand what's not to like about them (beyond
OMG NOT SUPER HIGH TECH ANYMORE
).

see5harp

John said:
just popping in to say that this is hilarious

CP201main2.png

(from the valve store)

Not enough stars or random laser beams.

Sober

Dax01 said:

There were two that really ticked me for a while, but then again I was up for a while and to be honest it was like 5AM and I spent the entire night playing the game. FYI it was
the blue paint one someone posted a pic earlier where you needed to vault yourself up to the top of
and the
puzzle where all you get is white paint; I went to sleep and came back to it and solved it in no time flat.

spermatic cord said:
Need help around the start of Chapter 6

Here's where I am
http://imgur.com/a/riTVu#4nXjz
Portal the wall (slanted I think) across the chasm, jump down the elevator shaft (walk along the steps down one level) and there will be a portal-able surface at the bottom

Just beat the game in 1 sitting. Fucking great experience! Definitely does the original justice... and then some.
The ending is
great
.... though
shooting a portal to the moon is a bit much imo. This is really the only thing that kinda annoyed me a bit. On a different note I also really really really REEAAAALLLLYYY hoped they'd explicitly tie this somehow to Ep3... god this makes the wait for that 10x more excruciating :'(
Dialogue, characters, music, story, atmosphere, graphics all fucking incredible.
10/10
AAA+++ Would play again!!!!!!!!

The Portals are definitely in my top 3 games this gen... without question.

I haven't even touched co op yet.

droopy

So huge spoilers
that cover every single aspect of the HL2 tie-in,
and I mean all of it.

What's the deal with the Borealis dock? Are they saying it set sail 4km underground in Idaho?

Kyaw

Ark said:
You will slam your head against a wall trying to work them out. Then once you work them out, you'll slam your head against a wall for feeling like an idiot.

All joking aside, they're the most challenging portion of the game, I thoroughly enjoyed them.

And... here we are...

spermatic cord said:
Oh man that was so obvious. I feel like a fool lol

I enjoyed the Chapter 6-7. I liked the gigantic scale of the puzzles.

How does Valve do this? They have awesome IPs with amazing sequels and they get better and better after one another.

Ferrio

Banned
droopy said:
So huge spoilers
and I mean all of it.

What's the deal with the Borealis dock? Are they saying it set sail 4km underground in Idaho?

Portals

Sober

droopy said:
So huge spoilers
and I mean all of it.

Teleportation experiment silly! =)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Dax01 said:

Personally they're my favorite part of the game. I loved all the gels, and felt like they added the most new feeling to the puzzles, so maybe that's why I feel differently.

It can be very easy to not notice entire sections of a level necessary to completing it though. If you ever get stuck the best thing to do is to take a break, come back, and then look at your surroundings for stuff you missed.

Nightz

Haven't been keeping up with the whole free PC copy when you buy the PS3 version...

We have two PS3s in the house (one for me, one for my brother), and 1 PS3 version arriving. If he loads the game first, links it to his Steam account and downloads the PC version...then he gives me the Blu-ray and I play on my PS3, I'll be able to play with him while he's on the PC version, right?

bender

What time is it?
I finished the game last night after picking it up on Saturday. I'd put my game time around 7-8 hours. I loved the story and the ending was fantastic. I was really skeptical that it could recapture the charm for the original but I'm happy to be wrong.

My only issue is the challenge level. I never found myself stuck so I don't think the experience is as satisfying as the original. Maybe it's unrealistic to think the game would be as challenging as the original since that game has already trained you. Maybe they just packed in too many new ideas through out the game and kept the difficulty at the "teaching you new concepts" level rather than having fewer mechanics and having you master those.

I hear the co-op is more difficult so I'm looking forward to tackling that mode.

Woops, didnt refresh

Played up to chapter 7, 5 hours. I love it, all the added stuff to the basic portal mechanics is great and the story surprises me. I love the Aperture science service announcements.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Dance In My Blood said:
Personally they're my favorite part of the game. I loved all the gels, and felt like they added the most new feeling to the puzzles, so maybe that's why I feel differently.

It can be very easy to not notice entire sections of a level necessary to completing it though. If you ever get stuck the best thing to do is to take a break, come back, and then look at your surroundings for stuff you missed.
I found when I was hopelessly stuck. That I'd just close my eyes for two seconds, breathe and think what exactly is required to get me to that door or to get that door open?

Like I said, find the exit, work backwards and trace the exit to you NOT the other way around.

Also, if there are buttons, push them! See what they do, what they might give you/open/activate.

Zomba13

So I've been listening to the credits song
Want you gone. Anyone else like this better than Still Alive? Maybe because it's new but I really really like it.

Also, needs to be said again, an amazing game. IMO Valves best single player yet. Everything about it was awesome. There wasn't one part I didn't enjoy (mid-lateish game vauge level spoiler)
Maybe that part with the goo and outside the chamber bit but I got over it once I figured it out.
. If there is a Portal 3 it'll have to be one hell of a game to beat this.

Finished the coop a few minutes ago: clocked in at about 7 hours.

The game is incredible, nearly perfect: funny, clever, with one of the best level design I've ever witnessed.

Maybe it's a bit easy sometimes, but it still feels very rewarding, and sometimes your brain really seems to melt, even if the solution turns out to be quite simple.

Finished half of the game and if the game ended here, I would be perfectly satisfied.

Now there's the singleplayer.

*slowly applauds Valve*

Doopliss

Did anyone else get stuck on something as stupid as I did?

(Spoiler for gameplay mechanic that appears in (I think) one of the first 4 chapters)
After doing a few rooms with the light bridges there was a room where I needed to get across some water. I spent 10 minutes trying to find a spot to divert the bridge so that I could get onto it and have it in the right position to span the gap. Then I realised I could shoot a portal over to the other side and walk through it. /facepalm

overcast

I fucking need this game. I don't have a ps3. I want it for the pc/ps3 connection. Don't know if I will wait like 2 months to get my hands to get that ps3, or just get this for my 360.. Decisions..

Never thought I'd want to keep playing a game JUST to see what a character has to say next over and over and over and over again. The writing is superb.

Doopliss said:
Did anyone else get stuck on something as stupid as I did?

(Spoiler for gameplay mechanic that appears in (I think) one of the first 4 chapters)
After doing a few rooms with the light bridges there was a room where I needed to get across some water. I spent 10 minutes trying to find a spot to divert the bridge so that I could get onto it and have it in the right position to span the gap. Then I realised I could shoot a portal over to the other side and walk through it. /facepalm

I did this exact thing too.

overcast said:
I fucking need this game. I don't have a ps3. I want it for the pc/ps3 connection. Don't know if I will wait like 2 months to get my hands to get that ps3, or just get this for my 360.. Decisions..

PC not an option?

Rikyfree

I don't want to spoil anything here, but is there anything
Episode 3
related in this game outside of
the Borealis
?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Ferrio said:
Love wheatly's
"hacking". *Turn around* *hear glass break*
lol, I wanted to see what he was doing so I made a portal toward where I was going to be facing, and a portal behind him so I could peek.

clav

Zomba13 said:
So I've been listening to the credits song
Want you gone. Anyone else like this better than Still Alive? Maybe because it's new but I really really like it.

Also, needs to be said again, an amazing game. IMO Valves best single player yet. Everything about it was awesome. There wasn't one part I didn't enjoy (mid-lateish game vauge level spoiler)
Maybe that part with the goo and outside the chamber bit but I got over it once I figured it out.
. If there is a Portal 3 it'll have to be one hell of a game to beat this.

NoplzMichaelScott.gif

After playing this one, that's enough especially on how it ends as
there is barely any connection to the half-life world of things, and Valve still does not want to do it.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but
I thought Wheatley's character was out of place for a Portal world. Shouldn't all the bots have vocodor robotic voices?

I didn't think it fit well with the overall with the Portal theme.

Also the Portal techno music doesn't do it for me either although it was a nice touch when Chell hits platforms. However, a perfect example what I'm complaining about is the part when you first meet turrets. Why play that disgusting vomiting techno sound when you knock down a turret? Was that really necessary? There could have been a better musical beat for killing the turret or just leave it out Valve.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Just saw the Schroedinger's Cat parody plus the equation of wave function in quantum mechanics written aside

Is it a coincidence that I was still working on some electromagnetic interaction simulation on atomic level this afternoon? LOL

syoaran

droopy said:
So huge spoilers
and I mean all of it.

Theres a clear condracition to what we seen and what was said in Ep2, that is that the dry dock got taken out along with the ship - clearly the dry dock we see is intact and there hundreds of years after HL2, so either they retcon'd this information, or the ship left the cave somehow and entered the sea (as shown by the photos of the two scientists infront of the boat) and then was re-purposed for whatever doomsday device it became to become a legend.

As to what the ship does, no idea. We know that Aperture developed Portals and Timetravel before the construction of the Borealis and went to the moon shortly after. It could be Appertures crazy attempt at colonising the moon in the past for all we know.

On another note - I'm probably ignorant about this, but doesn't a salt mine mean the soil is untenable (like, forever). Why are their crops on the surface then? Clearly the matrix going on as per the developer commentary idea that was binned at the start of the game.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
syoaran said:
Theres a clear condracition to what we seen and what was said in Ep2, that is that the dry dock got taken out along with the ship - clearly the dry dock we see is intact and there hundreds of years after HL2, so either they retcon'd this information, or the ship left the cave somehow and entered the sea (as shown by the photos of the two scientists infront of the boat) and then was re-purposed for whatever doomsday device it became to become a legend.

As to what the ship does, no idea. We know that Aperture developed Portals and Timetravel before the construction of the Borealis and went to the moon shortly after. It could be Appertures crazy attempt at colonising the moon in the past for all we know.

On another note - I'm probably ignorant about this, but doesn't a salt mine mean the soil is untenable (like, forever). Why are their crops on the surface then? Clearly the matrix going on as per the developer commentary idea that was binned at the start of the game.

In fact, relating to this stuff.

I thought we'd at LEAST learn something about the Borealis, do we really have to wait for Ep3 to see ANYTHING RELATED TO THE FUCKING HALF LIFE STORY? This is seriously something that annoyed me about Portal 2. It was the only thing too, but we've been waiting for soooo long.

clav

Cindres said:

I thought we'd at LEAST learn something about the Borealis, do we really have to wait for Ep3 to see ANYTHING RELATED TO THE FUCKING HALF LIFE STORY? This is seriously something that annoyed me about Portal 2. It was the only thing too, but we've been waiting for soooo long.
Yes. Fucking this pissed me off the most after playing this game as that solely was my motivation to finish it in one sitting.

Ark

syoaran said:

I noticed this as well, but I figured that Valve had forgotten since it's been so long since Ep2 released.

syoaran said:
as to what the ship does, no idea. We know that Aperture developed Portals and Timetravel before the construction of the Borealis and went to the moon shortly after. It could be Appertures crazy attempt at colonising the moon in the past for all we know.

When did we learn this? :eek:

Cindres said:

In all fairness, just because Portal is linked to the HL universe, doesn't mean it has to give us information on it. Valve wants to keep Portal as Portal, and HL as HL. If Portal 2 had some crazy Ep3 reveal, everyone would be talking about Ep3 and not Portal 2.

For anyone wanting the soundtrack, you can extract it by downloading GCFScape, navigating to steam/steamapps/common/portal2/portal2 and opening the bottom PAK file (it should be named pak01_dir).

When you've opened that, just go into root/sound/music.

Top Bottom