• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Salsa

i have a steam friend who was just like Dax01 while he was playing the game, asking me all these sort of things and complaining.

Just keep going, nothing can prepare your mind to be blown away as much as it will.

SalsaShark said:
i have a steam friend who was just like Dax01 while he was playing the game, asking me all these sort of things and complaining.

Just keep going, nothing can prepare your mind to be blown away as much as it will.
I'm not complaining nor asking anyone to explain anything to me. Offering my feelings on how the game is progressing ≠ complaining.

Edit: I edited this into my other post, but I think the reason for my feelings is because I was expecting Portal 2 to have faster pacing all throughout.

Can any other idiots/people who are terrible at puzzles give me some feedback as to how they're doing with this game? I feel like I can't not buy it, but I'm worried that the experience will just be frustrating for me.

Dax01 said:
I'm not complaining nor asking anyone to explain anything to me. Offering my feelings on how the game is progressing ≠ complaining.

Edit: I edited this into my other post, but I think the reason for my feelings is because I was expecting Portal 2 to have faster pacing all throughout.
Trust me, dude, there's a point where it all changes and it's so goddamn worth it. Not to mention that where you're at has some of my favorite dialogue in the game.

"Well, what does some neckbeard scientist know about fashion anyway? Oh wait, this was written by a woman, and she has a medical degree in fashion. From France."

Helmholtz

Dax01 said:

Judging by your previous post, you're still very early into the game. Play for a few more hours and get back to us :). (I never felt the game was particularly slow)

Jimmy Stav said:
Can any other idiots/people who are terrible at puzzles give me some feedback as to how they're doing with this game? I feel like I can't not buy it, but I'm worried that the experience will just be frustrating for me.

You need this game in your life. If you get stuck, no harm in asking for help or youtubing if worst comes to worst, but on the whole it's a pretty well judged difficulty curve.

First chapter was a bit eh boring, puzzles were abit boring. But great art though and the 'funny robot' is trying hard but he delivers occasionally.

traveler

Not Wario
I will say Dax, if you consider the current pace of the story slow, you might need to be prepared for two chapters later on. Now, they're fairly relentless in their introduction of new mechanics and their level design is just as sharp as the rest, but the story content is moving
at a different speed in a different direction, so to speak
. Some might consider this a minor spoiler so I guess I'll tag it.

Cartman86

Banned
Jimmy Stav said:

The most interesting thing I've found from watching people play is how they actually make it hard themselves. They over think the puzzles. They think it requires some crazy twitch skill or an insane combination of actions. These people played Portal 1 though so they could be thinking a sequel should be more complex. I think they do a good job of teaching you though.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm feeling a bit burned at the moment. Everything was smooth sailing until chapter 6(ish) and now in chapter 7 I'm strugling to continue. Does it get better or has all the awesome gone away already? :(

Jimmy Stav said:
The difficulty curve is great, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Hesemonni said:
I'm feeling a bit burned at the moment. Everything was smooth sailing until chapter 6(ish) and now in chapter 7 I'm strugling to continue. Does it get better or has all the awesome gone away already? :(

Keep going.

Chapter 7 can be a little bit of a drag and hard at times but it's well worth it.

It just keeps getting better and better.

I got stuck around there last night and called it quits to give myself a breather. Came back today and nailed the puzzle. Beat the game earlier this afternoon.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hesemonni said:
It gets better. Well, at least IMO. And the ending is oh so worth it.

derFeef

Man I am stuck. I have no idea where I am, so for those who finished it:
Chapter 7 I think, I have to use white gel in a really high silo or how those thigns are called. There are pipes in there and I can make portals so that the white stuff gets spread inside that silo everywhere with the help of air vents . I have no idea where I am supposed to go even. Everything feels upside down and the perspective is all wrong so I am not even sure I am supposed to be there...

edit: corrected the chapter.

Hesemonni said:

Nobody, but nobody should miss the coup de grace at the end of this game.

Helmholtz said:
Judging by your previous post, you're still very early into the game. Play for a few more hours and get back to us :). (I never felt the game was particularly slow)
Yeah I'm still very early on. I was just posting on what happened so far. Wasn't expecting the whole game to be like that.

I'm also taking a lot of time to gather in my surroundings. Valve really knocked out of the park with the game's settings (and I'm only in chapter 2).

Cartman86

Banned
derFeef said:
Chapter 7 I think, I have to use white gel in a really high silo or how those thigns are called. There are pipes in there and I can make portals so that the white stuff gets spread inside that silo everywhere with the help of air vents . I have no idea where I am supposed to go even. Everything feels upside down and the perspective is all wrong so I am not even sure I am supposed to be there...

If I'm thinking of the right puzzle the key word is higher...

EDIT: Should I be vague?

EDIT: What do you mean by
"air vents"

derFeef said:

What part exactly? That sounds like a lot of different places.

traveler

Not Wario
The best way to approach the puzzles is, imo, to a) figure out the final step and work backwards from it, and b) remember that execution should never really be a factor. If you're a hair off on your jump, you probably aren't messing up the jump, you're probably doing something more fundamentally wrong.

Also, to elaborate more on (a), if a door needs to be opened by a switch, figure out where the switch is, then figure out what you'll use to press it, then figure out how to get that over there, and so on. It sounds obvious, but it's helpful to have a methodology whenever you catch yourself trying to trial and error it. (On that subject, I disagree wholeheartedly with the Game Informer review- nearly every single solution can be come up with without even placing a portal.)

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hesemonni said:

I already posted several times in this thread how much I fell like the quality of the game totally vanished during chapter 6 through 7.

Nonetheless after 7 and up until the credits roll are just like chapters 1-5, simply breathtaking.

derFeef said:

You know those two big towers right next to each other? If only there was a way you could get on top of one so you could jump down and launch yourself from that slanted piece that you need to use to get on top of the scaffolding...

I think I'm thinking of the right one, at least.

derFeef said:

That part nearly made me nauseous. IIRC
there's a spot to put a portal out of the whole damn thing near the top.
It took me a while to notice it too, and also to figure out which end was up.

Edit: different puzzle, I Am John.

Helmholtz

Dax01 said:
Yeah I'm still very early on. I was just posting on what happened so far. Wasn't expecting the whole game to be like that.

I'm also taking a lot of time to gather in my surroundings. Valve really knocked out of the park with the game's settings (and I'm only in chapter 2).
Yeah, one of the things I liked the most about the game was the fact that they really change up the environments and mechanics all the way through. I found it way less monotonous than Portal 1.

Finally got a copy of the game; it's in my car, just waiting to be played. I'll fire it up later tonight after I watch Justified

And Best Buy needs to do a better job of processing trade-ins for video games. Damn process took too long and it need to much info

Game question: Anyone here try the co-op feature yet? How is it?

traveler said:
I will say Dax, if you consider the current pace of the story slow, you might need to be prepared for two chapters later on. Now, they're fairly relentless in their introduction of new mechanics and their level design is just as sharp as the rest, but the story content is moving
at a different speed in a different direction, so to speak
. Some might consider this a minor spoiler so I guess I'll tag it.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to continuing the game. I'm excited to go further. I'd say I'm about an hour or hour and a half in. Wish the 360 version kept better track of the play time.

ultron87

lazybones18 said:
Game question: Anyone here try the co-op feature yet? How is it?

It's great fun when played with a friend who you can talk to.

Dunno how well it would go without voice chat or with strangers, since you need to do some fairly complex things.

derFeef

I AM JOHN! said:
You know those two big towers right next to each other? If only there was a way you could get on top of one so you could jump down and launch yourself from that slanted piece that you need to use to get on top of the scaffolding...

I think I'm thinking of the right one, at least.
Nah that is not it I think.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
That part nearly made me nauseous. IIRC
there's a spot to put a portal out of the whole damn thing near the top.
It took me a while to notice it too, and also to figure out which end was up.

Edit: different puzzle, I Am John.

I am not getting it... and its also the first time I am getting motion sick in a game, this feels all wrong. I am with Corky on this one :/

Corky

The_Technomancer said:
Alright, I'm going to start my commentary run.

More games need to have that, by the way.

few games have such calibre to be talked about in great depth as Portal.

Corky

Omotesando said:
Even Mortal Kombat?

Wel, that's a given. The story of those brave fighters.
*chokes up*

Keep it together corky, keep it together, don't let them see you cry...

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking of heading to ASDA or Tesco after midnight to pick this up, whats the chances they'll sell it to me? They have to right, it being the 21st and all?

ultron87

Omotesando said:
Even Mortal Kombat?

This should just have a commentary in every fight where you hit the commentary node and it goes "MORTAL KOMBAT!!!! Dun dun dun dun dah dun. Dun dun dun dun dah dun"

derFeef said:
Nah that is not it I think.

I am not getting it... and its also the first time I am getting motion sick in a game, this feels all wrong. I am with Corky on this one :/

What I remember is there isn't really any more "puzzle" to it once you've done what you've done. Again, I'm going by my shitty memory, but
work your way "up" placing portals up the tunnel walls soaked with conversion gel. When you get as high as you can--I think you're standing on a tiny ledge with a "this way up" sign or something?--look up and see if you can find a spot way above you to place a portal. You can't see it until you've gotten that high.

Orrr I'm confusing solutions. Hope not!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh my god I just did an achievement for co-op where you have a limit to how many portals you can use and it took us like an hour to do it, but goddammit we did it. It felt amazing watching the achievement pop-up. It took us ridiculously long to brainstorm the portal setup and then we failed a bunch (which messes up your portal count). The last bit was stressful as hell.

Nabs

cheesemint57xd.jpg

Feels good.

Mister_Bubbles said:
You need this game in your life. If you get stuck, no harm in asking for help or youtubing if worst comes to worst, but on the whole it's a pretty well judged difficulty curve.

I don't see how anyone could get stuck. The puzzles weren't hard enough for me. I blazed through the campaign in one sitting.

That said, I haven't played co-op yet and I'm hoping its much harder.

Corky

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I don't see how anyone could get stuck. The puzzles weren't hard enough for me. I blazed through the campaign in one sitting.

That said, I haven't played co-op yet and I'm hoping its much harder.

I'm a member of mensa ( try to read it as non-douchy as possible, trying to get across that puzzles and logicpuzzles are "my thing" ) and there were puzzles that stumped me because of bad design (albeit rare).

There's one good example and it's the one with 4 big pillars in the water that requires some wierd "semi-backtracking"...ugh the whole thing was just terrible there.

derFeef

Joe Shlabotnik said:
What I remember is there isn't really any more "puzzle" to it once you've done what you've done. Again, I'm going by my shitty memory, but
work your way "up" placing portals up the tunnel walls soaked with conversion gel. When you get as high as you can--I think you're standing on a tiny ledge with a "this way up" sign or something?--look up and see if you can find a spot way above you to place a portal. You can't see it until you've gotten that high.

Orrr I'm confusing solutions. Hope not!
I got it, thanks for you help it was exactly like that. Good those two chapters are over, I did not like them. I have to say, this was the first time a puzzle is not clear, just because you can not SEE the solotion, literally.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Corky said:
I'm a member of mensa ( try to read it as non-douchy as possible, trying to get across that puzzle and logicpuzzles are "my thing" ) and there were puzzles that stumped me because of bad design (albeit rare).
I got stumped for like 10 minutes once. The rest were pretty easy and speed bumps came from me over thinking things 9 times out of 10. I am not a member of mensa.

Corky

derFeef said:
I got it, thanks for you help it was exactly like that. Good those two chapters are over, I did not like them.

Now take a break, do some pallet cleansing and prepare for the rollercoaster ride of your life

Stallion Free said:
I got stumped for like 10 minutes once. The rest were pretty easy and speed bumps came from me over thinking things 9 times out of 10. I am not a member of mensa.

Well then it just goes back to bad design in those parts since it seems people blaze through the game and get stuck on inane shit that doesn\t even count as puzzles.

Top Bottom