• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm on Chapter 8 and adoring every second of it. I'm kind of stumped on
the room with the vortex and the two faith plates. I know I have to vortex up from and angled panels near the far plate but can't seem to get high enough since the spot where you can raise your altitude doesn't have any portalable panels around to move toward the spot where I have to go up.
Taking a little break to look at it again with fresh eyes after dinner. I hate getting stuck when I'm just missing one little piece of the puzzle but it's going to be satisfying when I get it.

Am I supposed to be able to play on my Ps3 and then pick up where I left off on my PC? I played to chapter 2 on ps3 but had to start at the beginning on Pc.

Corky said:
I'm a member of mensa ( try to read it as non-douchy as possible, trying to get across that puzzles and logicpuzzles are "my thing" ) and there were puzzles that stumped me because of bad design (albeit rare).

There's one good example and it's the one with 4 big pillars in the water that requires some wierd "semi-backtracking"...ugh the whole thing was just terrible there.

Hmm. I can't recall that one. Could you be more specific? The only one that had me wondering what to do for a few seconds was the scanning puzzle. I completely forgot about the solution and stood there for a few seconds wondering "how come that didn't work?" Then of course my memory jogged and I backtracked to the grab the solution.

Maybe its because I beat portal 1 twice (including the extra challenges on PC) so I became really familiar with their puzzle structure but it just wasn't challenging for me.

Is there a way to see timestamps for campaign completion? I beat it pretty quick but I also took breaks and browsed, cooked dinner etc while letting portal run....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
reggieandTFE said:
Am I supposed to be able to play on my Ps3 and then pick up where I left off on my PC? I played to chapter 2 on ps3 but had to start at the beginning on Pc.
Cloud saves only work from PS3 to PS3, not PS3 to PC.

vixlar

Two questions:

1.- Does it have single-screen co-op or just online? (at least console versions)

2.- For consoles(Xbox): It is retail (disc) or xbla (arcade)?

Thanks n_n

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I don't see how anyone could get stuck. The puzzles weren't hard enough for me. I blazed through the campaign in one sitting.

That said, I haven't played co-op yet and I'm hoping its much harder.
Now, I'm early on in the game, and I haven't gotten stuck yet, but I've had to pause and stand around and think a little before proceeding.

I think this means I'm going to get stuck in the game later on. =P

vixlar said:
Two questions:

1.- Does it have single-screen co-op or just online? (at least console versions)

2.- For consoles(Xbox): It is retail (disc) or xbla (arcade)?

Thanks n_n
1. Both (Well, the PC only with console commands).
2. Uh, retail.

Corky said:
I'm a member of mensa ( try to read it as non-douchy as possible, trying to get across that puzzles and logicpuzzles are "my thing" ) and there were puzzles that stumped me because of bad design (albeit rare).

There's one good example and it's the one with 4 big pillars in the water that requires some wierd "semi-backtracking"...ugh the whole thing was just terrible there.

The hardest puzzle in the game is probably
the one where you have to transport the gel in the funnel and knock the turrets over with it. I definitely spent some time trying to do other crazy things before I realized that the white panels on the one side were over the turrets.

Otherwise, the place where people seem to get stuck for a bit (me included) was
where you have to paint the white gel between the towers to get enough height to propel yourself through the angled plate. Admittedly, I just had a ton of fun painting the white gel everywhere I could in this room before trying hard to solve the puzzle.

The only other puzzle that took me awhile the room
with 3 laser cubes in various places that you have to bank through the sirens on the platforms. There is the aerial faith plate that is in a little compartment that you can't jump to, but has a portalable ceiling. It took me awhile to realize that the ceiling was portalable. Solving the actual puzzle didn't take too long.

derFeef

Dax01 said:
Now, I'm early on in the game, and I haven't gotten stuck yet, but I've had to pause and stand around and think a little before proceeding.

I often think "Man I am getting stuck now, am I?" But then I look a bit longer, wait a few secs and all is clear. Except that one thing some minutes ago - but I am going to blame the bad design there - really headscratching how that got through Valves testing.

TheExodu5

Banned
Corky said:
Just to put it in perspective, I did thoroughly enjoy the game but anyways here is one of those ( luckily extremely rare ) badly designed "puzzles".

Here the solution and the main "puzzle" area are severely disjointed by geometry,pipes, levels and so on. The fact that the solution is a simple backtrack yet many people fail to realize this point to something going wrong.

RGigz.jpg
There's no backtracking. The rail on the left overlooks the blue goo from 2 levels prior.

Corky said:
Just to put it in perspective, I did thoroughly enjoy the game but anyways here is one of those ( luckily extremely rare ) badly designed "puzzles".

Here the solution and the main "puzzle" area are severely disjointed by geometry,pipes, levels and so on. The fact that the solution is a simple backtrack yet many people fail to realize this point to something going wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/RGigz.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I thought that puzzle was fine. :\

Cartman86

Banned
CarbonatedFalcon said:
The hardest puzzle in the game is probably
the one where you have to transport the gel in the funnel and knock the turrets over with it. I definitely spent some time trying to do other crazy things before I realized that the white panels on the one side were over the turrets.

Otherwise, the place where people seem to get stuck for a bit (me included) was
where you have to paint the white gel between the towers to get enough height to propel yourself through the angled plate. Admittedly, I just had a ton of fun painting the white gel everywhere I could in this room before trying hard to solve the puzzle.

The only other puzzle that took me awhile the room
with 3 laser cubes in various places that you have to bank through the sirens on the platforms. There is the aerial faith plate that is in a little compartment that you can't jump to, but has a portalable ceiling. It took me awhile to realize that the ceiling was portalable. Solving the actual puzzle didn't take too long.

Yeah the one where you have to
shoot the white gel everywhere was the one I got stuck on the longest in single player. The one I disliked the most though was the one with all three gels. I knew exactly what to do pretty quickly, but remembering what portals I put down was annoying and it caused the gels to be overwritten with other gel accidently.

Dax01 said:

I would argue that's what you are supposed to do.

TheExodu5

Banned
This was no longer a tutorial level. It didn't need to convey to the user what to do. All the user needed to do was look for a big pipe that said GEL and see where the gel came out. It just made you think slightly outside of the box.

And mentioning Mensa just comes off as showoffish as it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. If you didn't want someone to call you out on it, you shouldn't have mentioned it.

derFeef

calm down guys, getting stuck on a puzzle is not shameful. Its just weird that it went from sublime to below-portal 1 quality so quickly. Nice to hear its getting far better after that.

Any way to unlock all the levels? I don't care about achievements. I just want to play from where my saved got messed up without having to go through the first 6 chapters again. This is PC version by the way.

Grisby

Corky said:
maybe backtracking isn't the best term but you know what I mean, there is a disconnect between them.

again, that part doesn't even constitute as a puzzle, it's simply level progression, but it failed to convey to the user ( in the sense that other puzzles have a red thread in them ) what to do.

I didn't like that one. It did teach me (after taking forever) to figure out (again) to go back, or look at, the prior level and use its assets.

spermatic cord said:
Any way to unlock all the levels? I don't care about achievements. I just want to play from where my saved got messed up without having to go through the first 6 chapters again. This is PC version by the way.
At worst you could no-clip your way through really fast.

rSpooky

Finished.. it was glorious. Cant wait to revisit it and try some coop. My 9 year old was playing "with" me and has now started her own game.
Puzzles never felt cheap to me, I got stuck about 3 times, but I was really on the right track just executed it wrong.
Loved the humor , amazingly smooth game play and great graphics ( PS3version)

RoboPlato said:
Cloud saves only work from PS3 to PS3, not PS3 to PC.
Bummer. The achievements are shared however.
And it looks fucking amazing on my not high end laptop btw (ATI 5650). I'm running the game at 1600*900 with triple buffeting VSync on and all other settings at medium or high and I'm getting between 40 and 60 fps.

It's going to be tough to go back to the PS3.

h3ro

For those with the PS3 version, is there an option to customize controls? Or at least switch to a control scheme that allows for shooting of portals with L2/R2?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
h3ro said:
For those with the PS3 version, is there an option to customize controls? Or at least switch to a control scheme that allows for shooting of portals with L2/R2?
Wait, people actually like using L2/R2 for shooting in games?

I learn something new every day.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
h3ro said:
Yep, there's an option for that.

Corky said:

Surely if you had trouble with that one it's just because you didn't look around enough?

protonion

I've been playing the ps3 version all day. Puzzles,writing,plot,everything is perfect.
This was a triumph indeed!

The turret assembly line is probably the funniest thing I've ever seen in a game.

Corky said:
Well to whatever end, I managed to spend more time listening to dialogue and just breathing in the scenery thanb doing puzzles in portal 2, yet that part/puzzle/ass whatever you want to call it had me running round in circles for 15 minutes for something that was 1 meter behind me.

Ok. I remember that one. It was a little weird. Although I wasn't satisfied overall, I was more than satisfied with the dialog. I thought it was better than the first one.

Corky said:
We'll what happened was that I backtracked several times and "fell" down to the beginning of what I so surely thought was the previous test. Now we all know ,subconsciously by now, that going through the testbarriers removes any portals you've put out. So I went through that test again just to reach the top and get stumped thinking it was a totally new part.

But yeah whatever, it's late and I conceede, that part is flawlessly designed. Can't wait to hear the developer commentary, they're probaly superproud of that part.

I posted before your argument above, I'm not saying it's perfect, but it wouldn't be a puzzle game if you didn't have to scratch your head every now and then. I really liked the idea of using goo from a previous level to get around.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Corky said:
We'll what happened was that I backtracked several times and "fell" down to the beginning of what I so surely thought was the previous test. Now we all know ,subconsciously by now, that going through the testbarriers removes any portals you've put out. So I went through that test again just to reach the top and get stumped thinking it was a totally new part.

But yeah whatever, it's late and I conceede, that part is flawlessly designed. Can't wait to hear the developer commentary, they're probaly superproud of that part.
I thought that one was clever. It took me a lot longer to figure out how to aim my jumps than to find the goo.

h3ro

RoboPlato said:
Yep, there's an option for that.
Fantastic, thanks.
Stallion Free said:
Wait, people actually like using L2/R2 for shooting in games?

I learn something new every day.
They do when they play using a 360 controller. ;)

I have a converter that allows me to use a 360 controller on PS3.

I'm not sure if there was some glitch, or maybe the achievement for beating the game unlocks all levels, but while I could not stop somewhere on PS3 and pick up on PC. Once I beat the game on PS3, I was able to start on any chapter on PC.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Just started chapter 8, this thread is a testing area with deadly acid lurking underneath spoiler tags. I think everything is safe and start to reveal... but then quickly step away when I realize I've over stepped. Really want to join the conversation though, since I only get to post in new game threads like once a year.

Nice to know I'm not alone on the puzzle when you first encounter
the white gel.
Thinking back I see how it could have been done easier with the
pillars, but like another person here I tediously built up momentum by shooting portals underneath me to reach the platform. Must have taken about 5 or 6 loops and a good 20 minutes.

I also saw a lot of frustration with chapters 6 and 7, or maybe mostly just 7? I thought they were fantastic. Before then I was really breezing through the game, it was all way too easy, so it was nice to have to slow down and take my time. I wouldn't chalk anything up to bad design. It's not like anything was unsolvable, and I never accidentally stumbled on to the answer. i think people are just reacting to the sudden change of pace. Like I said, before then everything is a breeze.

I noticed a kind of oversight in a room I'm not sure was intended that you could get into.

You can get under the room where potato Glados is sitting, however, none of the desks have clipping and you can walk right through them

Also in multiplayer
One of the later levels where you have to navigate through a spike maze using the tractor beams. At the end of the course, whoever did the maze can get permanently stuck, and the only way out is to use the kill command in the console

Error_g

Corky said:

What a dick.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Haha I'm smarter than a mensa guy, suck it.

I recognize the area you're talking about but honestly don't remember the puzzle at all. I don't remember spending an inordinate amount of time their either so I must have gotten it right away. It's ok though, we're all gonna have "that one" that took us forever. For instance, the one I talk about in my spoiler tags.

Also, I know others have said this, but I do wish Valve had kept the aspect of the Portal gun that told you what walls you could put a portal on and which couldn't. Maybe I'll get use to it though.

Corky said:

Considering how Valve playtests the fuck out of almost every part of their game and has, for years, shown no problem with cutting things that don't work or disrupt the flow of gameplay, yes, actually; I wouldn't be surprised if they are proud of that part.

But hey, don't stop the "this part other people didn't have trouble with was just bad if I, with my superior intellect, couldn't figure it out on first blush; Valve should feel bad" train on my behalf!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Fantastic game and an amazing ending.

Only complaint were...

areas between chambers in the old Aperture Science area. Too often it wasn't a puzzle to get where you need to go, but luck out in finding that distant piece of portal surface. There were parts of the escape in Portal 1 that were like this and were always the most annoying. In Portal w there were a lot more, and of course the area's were bigger.

9/10

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
balladofwindfishes said:
I noticed a kind of oversight in a room I'm not sure was intended that you could get into.

You can get under the room where potato Glados is sitting, however, none of the desks have clipping and you can walk right through them
Yeah, I
noticed the no clipping as well

Corky, I think people are starting to get on your case because you've been reiterating the same point about the same puzzle for like 15 pages now.

Top Bottom