• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 |OT| Sleep. Spuds. Science.

Error_g

Corky said:
Cheers mate, you're gonna make it far here on gaf.
Edit :

Dear lord ;

Did you make that level or what? Sheesh my criticism must've stung for you to come out of your cave.

I'm sorry, my lowly little intellect can't understand the correlation with low post count and likelihood of making a level. Is that because you're trying to equate a low post count with low intelligence? I don't know, really over my head sir.

But yes, I do not post often, I feel everything I could have to say is usually already said. I just felt this needed to be said.

Anyway, back to my cave now, I have fires to make.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
gregor7777 said:
Corky, I think people are starting to get on your case because you've been reiterating the same point about the same puzzle for like 15 pages now.

Yeah man I'm done, guess I refused to accept that part to be as wellmade as others like to force me to think

Error_g said:
I'm sorry, my lowly little intellect can't understand the correlation with low post count and likelihood of making a level. Is that because you're trying to equate a low post count with low intelligence? I don't know, really over my head sir.

But yes, I do not post often, I feel everything I could have to say is usually already said. I just felt this needed to be said.

Anyway, back to my cave now, I have fires to make.
Error_g said:
What a dick.

sam27368

Banned
Here's something impressive. Source engine development began early 1999. It's essentially 12year old tech, and it looks that damn good. Credit is due to Valve for creating such a flexible engine that can be built upon. Also, the fact that it can tackle most genres viewpoints (soon RTS with DOTA2. Well, Half Life Wars mod is out already).

falastini

If this was asked already, I apologize, but can I use the PS3 version to play co-op with the same PC code it provides? I was just going to steam-order it, but if I might get the PS3 version so my bro can play with me while I'm on PC.

Corky said:
Yeah man I'm done, guess I refused to accept that part to be as wellmade as others like to force me to think

It's not about accepting their point of view, it's simply that I think all the points have been made and the discussion has likely run its course. Of course, that's IMO and I think the personal stuff thrown at you is unnecessary.

Borgnine said:
Just started chapter 8, this thread is a testing area with deadly acid lurking underneath spoiler tags. I think everything is safe and start to reveal... but then quickly step away when I realize I've over stepped. Really want to join the conversation though, since I only get to post in new game threads like once a year.

Nice to know I'm not alone on the puzzle when you first encounter
the white gel.
Thinking back I see how it could have been done easier with the
pillars, but like another person here I tediously built up momentum by shooting portals underneath me to reach the platform. Must have taken about 5 or 6 loops and a good 20 minutes.

I also saw a lot of frustration with chapters 6 and 7, or maybe mostly just 7? I thought they were fantastic. Before then I was really breezing through the game, it was all way too easy, so it was nice to have to slow down and take my time. I wouldn't chalk anything up to bad design. It's not like anything was unsolvable, and I never accidentally stumbled on to the answer. i think people are just reacting to the sudden change of pace. Like I said, before then everything is a breeze.
Yeah, I'm surprised about the hate for those chapters. Chapters 6 and 7 were probably my favorite parts of the game.

Corky

gregor7777 said:
It's not about accepting their point of view, it's simply that I think all the points have been made and the discussion has likely run its course. Of course, that's IMO and I think the personal stuff thrown at you is unnecessary.

Well yeah that's just it, saying that in your opinion a certain part of a game is flawed and you're met with nothing else than " Well IIII didn't have any problems with it so you're probably dumb/lazy/stupid/blind" really makes for a great topic.

But I censored any criticism I had for that 0.001% of the game.

Everything is fine.

The co-op definitely adds an interesting twist to the game since you can make these longer portal chains. You have some element (light barrier, vortex tunnel, gel, etc.) go in one portal, out the other end, then in the other players portal, and out the other end. You can do a lot with that.

One complaint I kinda had is that the game makes things pretty easy by not putting up many decoy white surfaces. You can often solve puzzles by just looking for the white surface that you haven't used yet. But in co-op, you really need to limit the surfaces because there are so many weird chains people can come up with.

Untracked said:
Have Valve released the Soundtrack for this game yet?
I really want to buy it, but I can't find it anywhere.
If you have the PC version, I think someone said you can extract all the sound files using GCFScape.

Corky

wind_steaker said:
go to bed.
q6AVt.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Borgnine said:
Nice to know I'm not alone on the puzzle when you first encounter
the white gel.
Thinking back I see how it could have been done easier with the
pillars, but like another person here I tediously built up momentum by shooting portals underneath me to reach the platform. Must have taken about 5 or 6 loops and a good 20 minutes.

You weren't I'm sure the way I ended up solving it was not it's intended way. I'm sure once I see the proper way to solve it I'll kick myself. Much as I did few a few other ones when the light bulb went off.

I was able to get the white gel on the underside of the ledge you need to launch to. There is barely enough room to make a portal. Then make one under it and build up speed. Unfortunately I could find no way to line them up properly, so it took about 20 tires and a lot of luck before I finally timed it right to launch me up.

FireFly

Corky said:
Your experience though is just one data point out of hundreds of thousands. Whether the puzzle is well designed depends on how the player base as a whole is able to solve it effectively, and not whether you as a single individual are able to do so.

The game wasn't designed specifically for you, and what others find intuitive or obvious (like the fact that you may have to reuse the gel from an earlier challenge), you may not. It doesn't necessarily mean Valve have made the wrong decisions, because they need to cater to everyone - which is an exceedingly hard thing to do.

Corky

FireFly said:
Your experience though is just one data point out of hundreds of thousands. Whether the puzzle is well designed depends on how the player base as a whole is able to solve it effectively, and not whether you as a single individual are able to do so.

The game wasn't designed specifically for you, and what others find intuitive or obvious (like the fact that you may have to reuse the gel from an earlier challenge), you may not. It doesn't necessarily mean Valve have made the wrong decisions, because they need to cater to everyone - which is an exceedingly hard thing to do.

Thank you for taking your time and writing this thoughtful reply. Sadly I have nothing to add or reply withm since I don't want to crap up the thread with negativity.

WEGGLES

End game spoilers

Holy fuck you go to the fucking moon.

What a great ending. Loved the song. Love that you get the OG WCC back. The corrupted spheres were great too. So much great stuff, but can't say any of it 'cause once you're like... 10 mins in it's all spoiler territory. My friends need to pick up the damned pace!

traveler said:
The best way to approach the puzzles is, imo, to a) figure out the final step and work backwards from it, and b) remember that execution should never really be a factor. If you're a hair off on your jump, you probably aren't messing up the jump, you're probably doing something more fundamentally wrong.

Also, to elaborate more on (a), if a door needs to be opened by a switch, figure out where the switch is, then figure out what you'll use to press it, then figure out how to get that over there, and so on. It sounds obvious, but it's helpful to have a methodology whenever you catch yourself trying to trial and error it.

I agree with this.

I was watching someone play on Justin.tv earlier and I was literaly face palming every 5 seconds. This guy was unable to perform even the simplest of tasks. All he had to do was stop, take a look at the goal, and everything would have been clear. He was very early on and I had to stop watching because it was so painful. I don't imagine he will complete the game.

rSpooky

Outtrigger888 said:
Hows the ps3 version of the game? About to pick up either the 360 or ps3 version.
absolutely amazing. Crisp, smooth great sound.
Well worth the pick up and bonus pc copy doesn't hurt either.

Red

The only puzzle that gave me trouble was one on chapter 7 that Exodu5 gave me a solution for a few pages back. I'd tried the right solution a few times with negative results, but ultimately it worked. Wasted a hell of a long time on the puzzle but thankfully it's the only one that didn't work predictably. All the rest had sensible solutions.

Every time I ran into a tough puzzle I went back to the starting point and thought: here is my goal, this looks like a likely path, and these are the tools I have to work with. Then I imagined how to do it working invisible arrows in my head. Then I did it. 9/10 times this worked. The chapter 7 puzzle I was stuck on didn't have an obvious goal, which was my first big problem with it, and the gels didn't function correctly, which caused me to think the supposed solution was not the right one.

It wasn't a hard game by any means, but still constantly rewarding.

derFeef said:
calm down guys, getting stuck on a puzzle is not shameful. Its just weird that it went from sublime to below-portal 1 quality so quickly. Nice to hear its getting far better after that.

to be quite honest, none of the puzzels in Portal 2 are quite as evil as the challenge rooms of Portal 1. Almost all puzzels have a really straightforward answer, in particular because you know you need to use every element in the room at least once.

I was baffled for a minute by some of the puzzels near the end though, but once you see it, they too turn into smooth sailing.
Trough air, mostly.

Outtrigger888 said:
Hows the ps3 version of the game? About to pick up either the 360 or ps3 version.

go check the comparison sites on the net... ps3 is clearly the better version. plus it comes with the pc/mac version so its a no-brainer.

WEGGLES said:
End game spoilers

Holy fuck you go to the fucking moon.

What a great ending. Loved the song. Love that you get the OG WCC back. The corrupted spheres were great too. So much great stuff, but can't say any of it 'cause once you're like... 10 mins in it's all spoiler territory. My friends need to pick up the damned pace!
Finish Co-op. ;)

Red UFO

I hit a wall a couple of times, sometimes being stupid and sometimes not seeing where I was supposed to shoot a portal to, but nothing ever made me say "ARGH THIS LEVEL DESIGN SUCKS"

Red

Red UFO said:
I hit a wall a couple of times, sometimes being stupid and sometimes not seeing where I was supposed to shoot a portal to, but nothing ever made me say "ARGH THIS LEVEL DESIGN SUCKS"
It is near uniformly genius.

Alright gonna pick up the ps3 version.

one more question im gonna make a dummy ps3 account to give my brother the free pc copy so we can play co-op, will I miss out on any steam features in the future on the ps3, I dont plan on getting a gaming PC

So I thought about replacing the Windows sounds with Portal sounds, but I couldn't really think of a place to start. So I only ended up replacing "Critical Stop" with a turret saying "Something's wrong!"

I rented the PS3 version today and the code was still in the box. That means I just bought the PC version for $6.40. Call me a cheap bastard if you want, It's a great deal. Loving the game btw

r1chard

Finally got the game going late last night by moving my Steam folder onto an NTFS disk (from an exFAT disk). Portal 2 really doesn't like FAT-formatted disks. Very odd.

And then I played until I could play no more. Awesome.

Beat the game today and got a lot of time in co-op and I just love this game. It is going to be hard to top this with another game for the rest of the year for me.

f0rk

I had to get help twice, I had the right idea both times but couldn't implement properly because I was missing one bit of the level layout that would give me the right angles. I hope there's some challenge room DLC later.

bistromathics said:
I wish that stupid eye would SHUT THE FUCK UP

No, he's awesome.

Up to Chapter Six...
WHEATLEY, WHYYYYYYYYYY!?

While I usually hate silent characters, the supporting cast in Valve games is just too good. Glados and Wheatley are voiced and written so well, I love it. Very few developers do it as well as Valve.

Top Bottom