• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post an underrated gem more people should know about

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Um Jammer Lammy on PS1. It’s made by the Parappa people, and in fact you can even unlock Parappa after beating the game, making it an unofficial sequel to Parappa 1.

Also, Mary-Kate & Ashley: Get a Clue! for Game Boy Color.

It’s surprisingly a decent little puzzle platformer that actually started off development as a South Park game. I’d guess that’s why you can physically pick up your dog and throw it across the stage to defeat enemies in that game. 7/10.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Gold Member
f4wlYWN.png

Certinty

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

Definitely one of my favourite games this generation so far.

The issue is it probably flopped because of the Avengers game released beforehand which many thought this would be a Guardians skinned clone of.

But it was anything but. I’ll admit the combat wasn’t great (to be fair, there wasn’t much of it anyway), but the visuals, characters, story, voice acting, attention to detail, soundtrack, variety in planets and so much more are all top notch.

Might well be the most underrated under-appreciated game i’ve ever come across.

It really did deserve so much better.

Markio128

Gold Member
I tried The Artful Escape when it was on the PS+ catalogue. I hadn’t heard about it before, but it turned out to be a real gem of a game.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

Definitely one of my favourite games this generation so far.

The issue is it probably flopped because of the Avengers game released beforehand which many thought this would be a Guardians skinned clone of.

But it was anything but. I’ll admit the combat wasn’t great (to be fair, there wasn’t much of it anyway), but the visuals, characters, story, voice acting, attention to detail, soundtrack, variety in planets and so much more are all top notch.

Might well be the most underrated under-appreciated game i’ve ever come across.

It really did deserve so much better.
I totally forgot about this one. It's so fucking good.

Installing right now for a replay and achievement cleanup

YaTtFDg.png

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Earth Defense Force 6 comes out in the west later this month and I'm seeing 0 hype around here.

More people should give thode games a chance. They look super cheap and jank from the outsidez but once you get to play them you realize how well they are done and how fun they are to play. Well, at least 5 is. Also, they have co-op and a great community.

Also, SMT Synchronicity. Game is free and fun. Specially recommended if you enjoyed Deedlit's game, since the core mechanic is pretty similar, both being metroidvanias with a sort of Ikaruga color-changing mechanic to it.

EDIT: Asura's Wrath came to mind too. Just amazing at so many levels.

Last edited:

intbal

Batman: The Telltale Series

pxvxjw7.png

Never in a million years would I have believed I would care about a game like this. But I got it for free, so I eventually started it up and played.
Absolutely awesome game. The gameplay format works incredibly well for Batman.
Very highly recommended.

I'm calling this underrated because it got mediocre review scores from critics. I think they must have been expecting something other than what it was.
There is also the sequel, The Enemy Within. That one is worse in every way except for the visuals.

Topher

Gold Member
Dredge
Great open world at sea with a dark mystery. On consoles and Steam....

Triangle Strategy
Known as a Switch game, but it is also on Steam. Great SRPG

Rebel Galaxy
Kind of like Everspace 2 but with much bigger ships available. Combat is very much like AC 4: Black Flag, but in space.

Last edited:
I've heard great things! Toriyama deserves me enjoying this as his sendoff
Is this really that good? Totally forgot about it. Need me some Toriyama.
This is in my steam cart right now...so no bullshit, why do you like it?
I have been having a blast with Sandland. It has a lot of that Japanese B-game charm you’d find in an overlooked/underrated PS2 or PS3 game.

If you want I can expand further Miyazaki’s Slave Miyazaki’s Slave

Last edited:

amigastar

mZUXAss.jpeg

Midnight Suns

I guess being Marvel it's high profile but I don't really see anyone saying they enjoyed it, I loved it
Yep, Marvel Midnight Suns is great.
Also i recommend The Chronicles of Myrtana
This gem here is sitting on a 91 on MC, Against the Storm. It's on Game Pass.

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
More people need to play the original Prey, from 2006. So wicked.

I really like the game I Am Alive. It's a gritty post-apocalyptic game where the core mechanics are an intense stamina-based climbing system, and the ability to threaten enemies with a gun, even an empty one (something that was featured in gameplay trailers for The Last of Us, but didn't make it into the final release).

You mean that one Helldivers-like?
I had to. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/h...-to-summer-2024/1100-6521004/#google_vignette
Crazy that it took 2 years to come here.
Earth Defense Force 6 comes out in the west later this month and I'm seeing 0 hype around here.

More people should give thode games a chance. They look super cheap and jank from the outsidez but once you get to play them you realize how well they are done and how fun they are to play. Well, at least 5 is. Also, they have co-op and a great community.

Also, SMT Synchronicity. Game is free and fun. Specially recommended if you enjoyed Deedlit's game, since the core mechanic is pretty similar, both being metroidvanias with a sort of Ikaruga color-changing mechanic to it.

EDIT: Asura's Wrath came to mind too. Just amazing at so many levels.
I've heard of EDF. So it really is like Helldivers?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've heard of EDF. So it really is like Helldivers?
Yeah, more or less.

EDF has a campaign, no random stuff. 5 at least has 110 missions you can play both on single and multiplayer.

It has Diablo-like loot tables, and multiple difficulty modes each one giving you better loot. You can squeeze tons of hours put from those games, and the gameplay is super fun. 4 different classes, tons of weapons, vehicles, orbital strikes, mechas... All the good stuff.

Yeah, more or less.

EDF has a campaign, no random stuff. 5 at least has 110 missions you can play both on single and multiplayer.

It has Diablo-like loot tables, and multiple difficulty modes each one giving you better loot. You can squeeze tons of hours put from those games, and the gameplay is super fun. 4 different classes, tons of weapons, vehicles, orbital strikes, mechas... All the good stuff.
Right On Yes GIF by Wicked Worrior

Top Bottom