• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post an underrated gem more people should know about

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
sand-land-2024.gif
This is in my steam cart right now...so no bullshit, why do you like it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s old and forgotten, but I decided to boot up COD Blacks Ops II. Game came out I think in 2012? I was amazed how good it still looked and it played great with solid maps.

Zannegan

If you have at least one friend and you're into board games, RPGs, and/or roguelikes, For the King is one of the best co-op games you'll ever play. Steam Summer Sale has it at $4 right now, which is a steal.

It's a co-op RPG, the ultimate board game (with four boards/campaigns each of which requires its own approach), and a game where every run helps you unlock new features and events for your next attempt, including new class variants. Risk v. reward is a huge part of the game design, so it can get pretty brutal early on or at higher difficulties, but that tension is what makes it so fun. It's also quick to get back into a new game, so your group can easily get hooked into that "one more run" mentality.

It's also incredibly replayable. Every run will be different, depending on the classes you pick, the loot you find, etc., and the board also gets remixed/rerolled with each new attempt. There's even a sort of boss rush mode (though it's not my fav).

It's a hidden gem that I stumbled upon by accident, and I just can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:
If you have at least one friend and you're into board games, RPGs, and/or roguelikes, For the King is one of the best co-op games you'll ever play. Steam Summer Sale has it at $4 right now, which is a steal.

It's a co-op RPG, the ultimate board game (with four boards/campaigns each of which requires its own approach), and a game where every run helps you unlock new features and events for your next attempt, including new class variants. Risk v. reward is a huge part of the game design, so it can get pretty brutal early on or at higher difficulties, but that tension is what makes it so fun. It's also quick to get back into a new game, so your group can easily get hooked into that "one more run" mentality.

It's also incredibly replayable. Every run will be different, depending on the classes you pick, the loot you find, etc., and the board also gets remixed/rerolled with each new attempt. There's even a sort of boss rush mode (though it's not my fav).

It's a hidden gem that I stumbled upon by accident, and I just can't recommend it enough.
Bought. Thank god I posted this around summer sale

diffusionx

Gold Member

Songs of Syx. Empire /city builder with a ton of freedom. Grow your capital, raise an army of win by trade and diplomacy. Build a glorified empire with different races or an ethno state. Take slaves and make fighting gladiator pits. Wage massive scale wars. The game is awesome and in early access. Playing the demo is the full game only one version behind release.
new autism game just dropped, move over factorio

(this looks awesome)

Medal of Honor: 2010

The only historically accurate game about the War in Afghanistan.

While there are plenty of liberties taken for sure, but it's the closest thing you can get to modern war history lesson intertwined with sick gameplay.

I'd consider myself as close as someone can get to an expert on that game due to how much time I've spent researching around it.

Not many people give a shit about it. But it's actually outstanding and there hasn't been a developer that's gone as hard with a military themed FPS as Greg Goodrich and his team did at Danger Close since, which is a damn shame.

Luckily Six Days in Fallujah is here and is only in it's infancy, but that is a similar amount of developer effort.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Medal of Honor: 2010

The only historically accurate game about the War in Afghanistan.

While there are plenty of liberties taken for sure, but it's the closest thing you can get to modern war history lesson intertwined with sick gameplay.

I'd consider myself as close as someone can get to an expert on that game due to how much time I've spent researching around it.

Not many people give a shit about it. But it's actually outstanding.
It was a surprisingly good four hour campaign.

The multiplayer was broken, but my brother and I also had a good time with it.

DryvBy

Moonring (PC)
This free RPG is not much to look at but really complex and terrific. I honestly can't believe it's free:

Shakedown Hawaii (Everything)
It's like an easier to play GTA 1/2 with some top notch comedy about gaming.

Hypnospace Outlaw (Everything)
This game isn't for everyone. It's for people that grew up on 90s internet. It's loaded with how wild west everything is. You're a globalist mod that's ruining the internet for everyone. I actually was shocked how good of a story this had. (There's 2 spin off games too, one called Slayer X which I think is even on Gamepass)

Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now (PC)
It's old so if you're not into 90s 3D games, don't bother. But this game is incredible and has such a great old mod community. There's something special about slamming into an old man using the Mystery van from Scooby Doo.

The Messenger (Everything)
This is an easier to play Ninja Gaiden but the combat is solid. It was actually one of my favorite indies for a bit due to how amazing it played and the battles always being fun. I've finished this one a few times.

Sanitarium (PC)
Top notch point-and-click adventure game that's pretty spooky. They've updated it on Steam with achievements too.

Thimbleweed Park (Everything)
This was made by the dude that brought us the Monkey Island series. Some people may have no enjoyed the ending but I definitely did. I thought it was a fantastic overall story that felt like a 90s Maniac Mansion adventure game.

Gleaner Heights (PC, Xbox, maybe Switch)
There's a lot of Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley clones today, but Gleaner Heights went a different direction. This is a combination of Stardew Valley and Twin Peaks (the TV show, not where Alanah Pearce should be working). There's two full seasons of this game and for $5, you're going to get a ton of gameplay out of it.

Kenshi (PC)
This is just a weird open-world RPG where you can just do anything. Sseth on YouTube sold me on this one.

If I think of more, I'll add them later.

KXVXII9X

Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars and other PS Vita gems.

Astral Chain: One of the best Switch games by far.

Siralim series: Pokémon Myatery dungeon/Dragon Warrior like Monster collecting game.

Knights in the Nightmare: Tactical SRPG and bullet hell grid based game. Very unique and unconventional gameplay.

Backyard Sports games from Humongous Entertainment. These games were my childhood and such fun versions of playing sports games. I keep wishing for ilthem to return in some capacity.

Robb

Gold Member
I know the vita game had the word "New" in front of the title so things must of been changed, so far I am not seeing it though. Maybe I should dig my vita back out. Hopefully can re-download it from the store.
I never bothered with the Vita game because I didn’t like how they went with a generic anime art-style for that one.

From what I recall when reading about it, it is a remake of the Wii game. You revisit a lot of areas but iirc the game does feature a new/different story compared to the Wii game.

Gp1

giphy.gif

now also in HD

I still have my copy somewhere and it never worked for me on anything above windows XP i think.

This game definitely deservers a remaster/remake or something. I still does some things better than current gen games.

You are fucking awesome for this. I love a good game I can relax and point and click on. You know any similar games?

Last edited:

The Stig

Do you like point n click adventures?
Do you like Star Trek?

Try Star Trek the next generation "A final unity"

Star-Trek-TNG-A-Final-Unity.jpg

Fully voiced by the cast. You can have scenes in the bridge, on planets/space stations etc and even space battles

fdqfiw3kzun1lnewinfm.png

rr217xjbq9i5dv55saxl.png

A lot is said about the 25th anniversary game and judgement rites but this to me is the GOAT.

There is no official way to buy this game. Gotta find an ISO and mess with dosbox for a while (it's a very fussy game).

Absolute GOLD. You are playing the show

The Guardian Legend for NES. Simple game that was a lot of fun to play at the time.

Also Returnal. That's it. If you have a PS5 - play it. Hell play it even if you don't, I don't care how, just make it happen.

Hudo

dude, metal marines (I played it on PC) AND freelancer?! we can be friends. also did you try freelancer's predecessor Starlancer? Good game.
Hell yeah, man. Starlancer was cool! Quite a different beast to Freelancer, tho. Both tonally and from a gameplay perspective. Starlancer was more like Wing Commander, in a sense. Freelancer was a fine evolution on Privateer, imho. Both good games for different reasons.

Finally someone who recognizes Metal Marines. It's one of my favorite games on the SNES. I have to admit that I have never played the PC version, unfortunately. Is it different from the SNES one?

The Stig

Hell yeah, man. Starlancer was cool! Quite a different beast to Freelancer, tho. Both tonally and from a gameplay perspective. Starlancer was more like Wing Commander, in a sense. Freelancer was a fine evolution on Privateer, imho. Both good games for different reasons.

Finally someone who recognizes Metal Marines. It's one of my favorite games on the SNES. I have to admit that I have never played the PC version, unfortunately. Is it different from the SNES one?
yes but roughly the same. it ran on 32 bit OSs only

each side literally had a different window. take a look:

sorry for the timestamp

Romulus

I'd say planetside 2. Even today it's a solid free to play shooter with massive battles on PC.

The initial learning phase can be a little rough for beginners though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This game bombing is why we got pussyfoot shooters running rampant now.

CzRNh7NXnoHwCgUsJd6pKk-1200-80.jpg

Delisted basically everywhere so go buy a physical edition so you can repent you sinful sinful children!

P.S Its Spec:Ops The Line.

KXVXII9X

This game bombing is why we got pussyfoot shooters running rampant now.

CzRNh7NXnoHwCgUsJd6pKk-1200-80.jpg

Delisted basically everywhere so go buy a physical edition so you can repent you sinful sinful children!

P.S Its Spec:Ops The Line.
I was looking on Steam to see if it was on sale and wanted to buy it so bad but couldn't find it. This explains why. Why was it delisted? Kind of depressing...

Noita - The most next gen game in existence right now. Physics whores rejoice.

Split-Second - The best arcade racer ever made.

Holy shit, I’d completely forgotten about Noita, that is an excellent choice. I’d rejoice in a console port, but the game is so niche I don’t see it happening.

Sojiro

46726_front.jpg

I always sing praises about this game whenever someone wants obscure SNES games. I absolutely love this game, and would easily put it in my top 20 SNES games, it's quirky as shit, has fucking amazing and catchy music, and is just full of wacky 90's aesthetics. Such a great game.

Top Bottom