• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post an underrated gem more people should know about

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Soleil, also known as Crusader of Centy in the US looks upon first glance a Zelda clone, but it's a lot more than that and a real hidden gem on SEGA's 16bit console..

soleil-crusader-of-centy-mega-drive-32407-689003_800x.jpg

RAIDEN1

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

Definitely one of my favourite games this generation so far.

The issue is it probably flopped because of the Avengers game released beforehand which many thought this would be a Guardians skinned clone of.

But it was anything but. I’ll admit the combat wasn’t great (to be fair, there wasn’t much of it anyway), but the visuals, characters, story, voice acting, attention to detail, soundtrack, variety in planets and so much more are all top notch.

Might well be the most underrated under-appreciated game i’ve ever come across.

It really did deserve so much better.
It could have given Mass Effect a run for its money, but we may never see a sequel....

Roxkis_ii

Twin stick shooter with old school difficulty.
Good times. Reminds me a 2d returnal without the mystery.

Metrovania with a focus on parry mechanics. I honestly haven't got far in the game, but I'm having a blast.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It could have given Mass Effect a run for its money

It retroactively has basically given the BioWare afterbirth Andromeda and Anthem a run for the money based solely on the characters, camaraderie, writing, environment variety and more.

And I said it before but if that new Dragon Age doesnt bring the exact type of A game with the party (and it wont) then it's already DOA.

Last edited:

Songs of Syx. Empire /city builder with a ton of freedom. Grow your capital, raise an army of win by trade and diplomacy. Build a glorified empire with different races or an ethno state. Take slaves and make fighting gladiator pits. Wage massive scale wars. The game is awesome and in early access. Playing the demo is the full game only one version behind release.

Wildermyth, a really cool proceduraly generated rpg that I was really impressed by. I’ve been waiting on the Switch version forever and beginning to fear it is vaporware. It’s pc only and more people should get to play this gem.

MagnesD3

Psuedoregalia, some of the best movement in video games. Might be my favorite game Ive played this year so far. If you enjoy 3d platformers amd metroidvanias then you ahould enjoy.

Kumomeme

The Last Story

KLSEXJ.png

an action combat game by Hironobu Sakaguchi and music by Nobuo Uematsu. who said he only made turn based game? and this game is basically Final Fantasy at heart. for example replace the Outsider with Crystal and you got a Final Fantasy game. this game also intentionally made on Wii due to that time there is trend in industry where developers too focused on visual at cost of everything and he want to prove that gameplay is most important matter and graphic is secondry.

the game goes to action also due to strong critism from western players that turnbased system is outdated.
Before The Last Story we were creating Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey simultaneously and these titles were sort of orthodox turn-based JRPGs, but there was some criticism from Western users saying that this style is slightly dated now. It’s a thing of past. And so The Last Story project started from these criticisms, so my feeling that we want the game to be accepted by Western users was extremely strong. - Hironobu Sakaguchi

at one point he even hope this game combat would be new style of combat system for JRPG. the combat also ahead of time even against other modern and better visual game on better hardware today. it even utilize object destruction as part of combat system and they achieved it on Wii CPU which is something even today modern AAA game rarely take advantages of despite having far better hardware.

the game combat is interesting that despite it is action game, the game is not a button masher as there is no attack button and the combat system design rely on positioning and environment interaction with command based control to ally. people salivating toward Versus 13's 3rd person shooter mode and this game has similliar mechanic.

49.jpg

heck you can roam at town and shoot banana toward npc and watch them fall down lmao

it is also the last console game directed by him

this game should get similliar attention as Xenoblade Chronicles. last time he tease to bring the game and sequel to PS4. wonder what happen to the plan or he just genuinely joking lol.

Last edited:

Chupanibre

I've put a lot of time in these two and it seems nobody knows about them at all.

Shadows is definitely an acquired taste. The UI is shoddy and the graphics are nonexistent, but I can't look away.

Nexus, for those that know board games, is basically Twilight Imperium but faster.

CGNoire

Noita - The most next gen game in existence right now. Physics whores rejoice.

Split-Second - The best arcade racer ever made.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy.

Definitely one of my favourite games this generation so far.

It really did deserve so much better.

Agree, this game is underrated, the game is not too long, but also not short. Graphically awesome, artsyle also awesome, music is awesome, unfortunatelly, people not dig enough this game.

Earth Defense Force 6 comes out in the west later this month and I'm seeing 0 hype around here.

More people should give thode games a chance. They look super cheap and jank from the outsidez but once you get to play them you realize how well they are done and how fun they are to play. Well, at least 5 is. Also, they have co-op and a great community.

I know EDF since almost two decade ago, but just barely try it a year ago... I was wrong, rhis game is guilty pleassure! So addictive

Fess

The Ascent
Absolutely love this game. Plays like a classic twin-stick shooter but has Action RPG elements with different character builds and has weighted combat with cover mechanic. Currently on sale, don’t miss out.

Doczu

Earth Defense Force 6 comes out in the west later this month and I'm seeing 0 hype around here.

More people should give thode games a chance. They look super cheap and jank from the outsidez but once you get to play them you realize how well they are done and how fun they are to play. Well, at least 5 is. Also, they have co-op and a great community.
IMO 4.1 is better. 5 took itself too seriously and had a slow start (who the fuck needs tutorial/walking segments in a EDF game??)

anthony2690

Wario World (GameCube)
Lost kingdoms 1&2
Chaos Legion
Lost odyssey (best FF game)
Ape Escape series.
Breath of fire 4
Gotcha Force
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Mushimesama Futari 1.5

I feel like these are some incredible games no one really talks about, I'm sure gaming enthusiast here may know them though.

The Ascent
Absolutely love this game. Plays like a classic twin-stick shooter but has Action RPG elements with different character builds and has weighted combat with cover mechanic. Currently on sale, don’t miss out.
Fantastic game. But I got a bug on Xbox where the screen stayed black. They never fixed it last I checked

My vote would for Statik since I have barely see it mentioned anywhere, I played on PS4 VR and probably my best VR experience to date.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Singularity
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst
Sniper: Ghost Warrior - Contracts 1 and 2

R6Rider

Gold Member
My vote would for Statik since I have barely see it mentioned anywhere, I played on PS4 VR and probably my best VR experience to date.

This game was fantastic. I also played it on PSVR.

The Last Story

KLSEXJ.png

an action combat game by Hironobu Sakaguchi and music by Nobuo Uematsu. who said he only made turn based game? and this game is basically Final Fantasy at heart. for example replace the Outsider with Crystal and you got a Final Fantasy game. this game also intentionally made on Wii due to that time there is trend in industry where developers too focused on visual at cost of everything and he want to prove that gameplay is most important matter and graphics a secondry.

the game goes to action also due to strong critism from western players that turnbased system is outdated.

at one point he even hope this game combat would be new style of combat system for JRPG. the combat also ahead of time even against other modern and better visual game on better hardware today. it even utilize object destruction as part of combat system and they achieved it on Wii CPU which is something even today modern AAA game rarely take advantages of despite having far better hardware.

the game combat is interesting that despite it is action game, the game is not a button masher as there is no attack button and the combat system design rely on positioning and environment interaction with command based control to ally. people salivating toward Versus 13's 3rd person shooter mode and this game has similliar system.

49.jpg

heck you can roam at town and shoot banana toward npc and watch them fall down lmao

it is also the last console game directed by him

this game should get similliar attention as Xenoblade Chronicles. last time he tease to bring the game and sequel to PS4. wonder what happen to the plan or he just genuinely joking lol.

That looks incredible. I wish it was on steam

Just got this on the wii a few weeks ago. Got it with Muramasa and metroid prime3 (now only need 2). It is awesome, had it on the vita first. I know the vita game had the word "New" in front of the title so things must of been changed, so far I am not seeing it though. Maybe I should dig my vita back out. Hopefully can re-download it from the store.

Shame it never got a sequal or a switch remaster.

Bernardougf

Lords of the Fallen is a good souls game .. it has its flaws... but dont be fooled by souls purists reviews... its a classic souls experience much better than Elden boRing (imho) ... I think the sequel recently announced is going to be something special since the devs really listened to the complaints and did some fine tuning from the feedback.

Top Bottom