• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential Debate #2 |Washington University| Grab me right in the Ken Bone

Who won?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On your crotch, without permission?

Chuck-Taylor-Laughs-Then-Shakes-His-Head.gif

She never said that. She tried (terribly) defending the private/public position thing, but then moved to say we should be worried about Russia trying to influence our election which we should

i sincerely fucking hate that optics are a thing, because the actual context of what she said shouldn't be seen as a terrible defense

Then defend those positions or say you changed your stance, but saying "we don't know for sure if I said that in my speech", is dumb from the person who held the speech.

Thats not what she said though. And the FBI already said that it seems that Russian hackers are behind the leaks. The answer she gave regarding her speech might have sounded weird but it was spot on given that she was literally referencing Lincoln when she gave the speech. Read the excerpts.

Kibbles

Been watching Fox News for the past hour, the spin is absolutely incredible. Everyone saying Trump was phenomenal and blew Clinton away, not even close. lol

Ozigizo

The fact that he got cheers from the crowd for it deeply saddens me.

That's his base. His base is a bunch of misogynistic, racist, xenophobic white people who hoot and holler at any attacks. It's seriously scary that his base just kind of hand waves his threat to overwrite the judicial branch.

This is so pathetic. The alt-right are made up of men who are so desperate to have their worldview confirmed that they openly campaign to skew polls as if that somehow affects reality in any way. How fucking fragile a mentality must you have to find consolation in data that you altered yourself?

This is what I hated about the last debate. "Oh yeah?! WELL TRUMP WON! Look at these pools (that we altered and I know that we altered) what do you have to say now huh?!"

i sincerely fucking hate that optics are a thing, because factual information shouldn't be seen as a terrible defense

I feel she didn't do a good job explaining herself there, perhaps the weakest part of the debate for her I felt. I understand the context of it already, but for someone that didn't understand the context it probably felt like deflection.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
The Lincoln line kind of flew over peoples heads I think, though Hilary didn't go too in depth to explain it.

Hilary's explanation on the private & public policy line, using the example of Lincoln and the 13th amendment made sense, sort of an advocating of realpolitik for making practical, if unpopular, political decisions. It's difficult to articulate this point too much in a debate though, without alienating your own base.

I feel she didn't do a good job explaining herself there, perhaps the weakest part of the debate for her I felt. I understand the context of it already, but for someone that didn't understand the context it probably felt like deflection.

I didn't know the context, and I fully understood what she was explaining.

bionic77

Been watching Fox News for the past hour, the spin is absolutely incredible. Everyone saying Trump was phenomenal and blew Clinton away, not even close. lol
Kelly and Krautenevil did not give that vibe when they talked and basically said it was over unless Hillary goes to jail before the election.

Ekai

i sincerely fucking hate that optics are a thing, because the actual context of what she said shouldn't be seen as a terrible defense

I recall a lot of people happily discussing "optics" in the Democrat Primaries......

That said, I agree with your general statement.

Anyone else think Trump lied when he said he never sexually assaulted a woman? Cooper had to ask him 3 times before he answered the question. You think your first response would be to emphatically deny it then go on talking about how you'd defeat ISIS.

pigeon

Banned
That whole exchange was weird.

Hillary made a mistake she often makes -- she assumed that the truth would be a good response since she wasn't doing anything wrong. Unfortunately she has too much faith in other people doing their own research and realizing she's right.

PKrockin

The fact that he got cheers from the crowd for it deeply saddens me.
He's lucky they did cheer, so groupthink could help keep people from realizing that one US presidential candidate actually threatened to jail his opposition.

Anyone else think Trump lied when he said he never sexually assaulted a woman? Cooper had to ask him 3 times before he answered the question. You think your first response would be to emphatically deny it then go on talking about how you'd defeat ISIS.
With the way he spoke in the tape it's a given to most of us I assume.

I get annoyed by the person on CNN keeping on saying at every opportunity that both of these candidates are unpopular. There's a big difference between their favourability ratings. IIRC the figures they listed earlier on CNN showed Clinton up 11% and Trump is down something like 30-40%.

The Lincoln line kind of flew over peoples heads I think, though Hilary didn't go too in depth to explain it.

Hilary's explanation on the private & public policy line, using the example of Lincoln and the 13th amendment made sense, sort of an advocating of realpolitik for making practical, if unpopular, political decisions. It's difficult to articulate this point too much in a debate though, without alienating your own base.

It's hilarious that Trump spun it into saying that Hillary was calling Abraham Lincoln a liar.

Toxi

Banned
Hillary's explanation on the private & public policy line, using the example of Lincoln and the 13th amendment made sense, sort of an advocating of realpolitik for making practical, if unpopular, political decisions. It's difficult to articulate this point in a debate though, without alienating your own base.
She talked about the Lincoln movie because that was literally what she was talking about in the leaked speech excerpt.

Seriously.

Wallach

of course he lied lol

I didn't know the context, and I fully understood what she was explaining.

that's good then. perhaps I should say, imo she didn't or couldn't really bring it back to how it related to her comments. I think the point she should have focused on is that it takes compromise to get anything done, but she went too much into the movie which took up time she could have used to talk about compromise more.

I'm sure he was reluctant to deny it on record.

She never said that. She tried (terribly) defending the private/public position thing, but then moved to say we should be worried about Russia trying to influence our election which we should
The Lincoln stuff was true. It was the main context of the statement.

And it's also Communication 101. Of course you may have different ways to approach a speech or statement based on your audience. It's called know your audience.

PKrockin

Jake Tapper: "Final thoughts, Van?"
Van Jones: "Trump praised Putin and Assad, he minimized sexual assault, he trashed Pence, and threatened to jail Clinton, and it was his best night in a week."

dayum

Any crowd confirmation seems to make Trump beg for more.

Trump: There's a difference between you and Abraham Lincoln

*laughter from crowd*

*Trump takes notice*

Trump: A big difference!

*less laughs*

Trump: Not even close!

*silence*

Wuiji

Can somebody make a list of all the things that Donald Trump has claimed to be "the worst deal in the entire history of bad deals"?

I get annoyed by the person on CNN keeping on saying at every opportunity that both of these candidates are unpopular. There's a big difference between their favourability ratings. IIRC the figures they listed earlier on CNN showed Clinton up 11% and Trump is down something like 30-40%.

Yeah they had Clinton Fav vs. Unfav at 55 to 44 and the pollster goes, "BOTH CANDIDATES OVERWHELMINGLY UNPOPULAR"

RiZ III

That Scott Dworkin guy is tweeting some "evidence" about Trump being connected to an underage sex party or something. 🤔
Edit: nvm this guy is obviously just a troll

HeelPower

Is it just me or did Trump seem to have aged precipitously at the beginning of the debate ?

Stress seemed to have really gotten to him.

Seriously.

Even he isn't gonna be like

"you know.. I have committed some light rape"

Its not that he denied it thats surprising. Its that he was trying to dodge the question. If he did commit sexual assault being on record in a debate as having not done it is going to be the least of his worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom