• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Presidential Debate #2 |Washington University| Grab me right in the Ken Bone

Who won?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biske

IMO Hillary should have skipped the last two debates or at least this one. Being on stage with him gives him too much legitimacy still at this point.

I agree with you about Trump getting undeserved legitimacy.

But that would be insane to do.

52366950.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just watching a ten minute summary - the body language here is incredible. In his attacks, Hillary faces him down and literally stands up to him in some cases to meet him.

When Hillary is talking about him and his policies - e.g. On tax - he turns away, wandering outside the circle of the stage even. Physically retreating!

This is the strong leader? 😅 He's a weasel.

One of the most frustrating things for me to listen too during this debate was the topic of Syria. Neither candidate has a clear understand of the situation, nor is competent enough to deal with it. Hillary is a disillusion war-hawk and Trump's solution is to blame Obama.

Do you honestly believe that a 90 minute debate in this election would have gotten into the minutia of a country a world away?

Do you have the solutions to Syria?

Mahonay

Banned
Just watching a ten minute summary - the body language here is incredible. In his attacks, Hillary faces him down and literally stands up to him in some cases to meet him.

When Hillary is talking about him and his policies - e.g. On tax - he turns away, wandering outside the circle of the stage even. Physically retreating!

She turned Trump into a beta. Sad!

I guess I just hoped acceptance of this kind of severe racism and misogyny wasn't so wide spread. But as Trump would say...WRONG!

You look at people like Conway, that's a good representation of some of his base who aren't just drooling idiots. Otherwise functional but something fundamentally broken. Then you have the gullible, those looking to blame "the other", the single issue voters, those who don't care about any group but the one they belong to but would drop their monocles at being called bigoted, racist, or even selfish.

PKrockin

I counted at least 5 times when he leaned on a chair while Hillary was speaking. Low energy. No stamina.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One of the most frustrating things for me to listen too during this debate was the topic of Syria. Neither candidate has a clear understand of the situation, nor is competent enough to deal with it. Hillary is a disillusion war-hawk and Trump's solution is to blame Obama.

What about her answer made you feel she is a warhawk? She wanted humanitarian efforts...I think you're being reductive saying that they both don't have an understanding of the situation. She was Secretary of State. He disagreed with his running mate's stance and then rambled to be contrary.

This is the strong leader? �� He's a weasel.

First thing he did was hide behind his chair. His constant stalking of Hillary combined with the tone of his voice(completely flat, for the first part of the debate) was psychotic-like.

Hilary was perfect man. Well not perfect but she was really good. Now for Trump, what can be said about him? I don't understand how this man has ever stayed relevant for as long as he has with his way of thinking. He came off absolutely horrible tonight, but it was quite entertaining LOL.

watershed

Banned
IMO Hillary should have skipped the last two debates or at least this one. Being on stage with him gives him too much legitimacy still at this point.

That makes no sense whatsoever. Hillary is running for president of the united states. Why would she skip these hugely important, traditional events? She's not the one running and hiding from scandals. It would be an incredibly weak move that has no benefit.

Lesath

What's kind of astonishing about this is that his female supporters have such a seemingly low bar for men that casually talking about sexual assault is deemed 'locker room talk.' which is sexist in itself. This wasn't Trump, in private, talking about some broad he banged - - he was talking to some entertainment reporter asshole about forcing himself on women and getting away with it because he's rich.

He should be fucking done - no more debates, zero chance at ending up in the white house but here we are. In my 32 years, this is by far the most frightened I've been to be an American.

On the other hand, his candidacy has allowed the Democratic platform to veer incredibly left - if you'd asked me 4 years ago whether a candidate would throw their full weight behind stuff like abortion, marriage equality, and gun control, I'd give you an emphatic no. And if you told me that Hillary Clinton, of all people, could run on that platform and still retain a strong probability of winning (80-95%), I'd have labelled you insane. And yet here we are.

Davide

That makes no sense whatsoever. Hillary is running for president of the united states. Why would she skip these hugely important, traditional events? She's not the one running and hiding from scandals. It would be an incredibly weak move that has no benefit.

Ultimately I can't say it would have been the best move, I just know many people who think he won just by still appearing as somewhat of a legitimate candidate, attacking Hillary on things like Wall Street speeches - and yes she is hiding from or at least having to downplay some scandals, and not completely falling apart in the debate. The bar is that low for him. And of course Trump was acting like a toddler tonight but there's probably nothing he can do that will make his numbers fall further.

You know Trump doesn't organize and run these debates, right?
Your point?

I question your clear understanding of the Syria situation if you think it's a topic that can be adequately expounded on in a mere 120 seconds. They were both tasked with giving a concise cliff note's version of their positions, and one of the two demonstrably failed.

It wasn't Clinton.

watershed

Banned
Ultimately I can't say it would have been the best move, I just know many people who think he won just by still appearing as somewhat of a legitimate candidate, attacked Hillary, and not completely falling apart in the debate. The bar is that low for him.

Your point?

And yet she has won the post-debate polls both times and is ahead nationally and in the battle grounds. Those are the numbers that matter, not anecdotal opinions. It would be a terrible move for her to skip any debate. Hillary won this debate. There is no question there. And she can't win if she doesn't show up.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm half way watching this and Trump is certainly holding his own. His rebukes on the deletion of the emails and in particular the tax code were effective. He said something along the lines of, "Yeah I took advantage of it, and so did her friends - the same ones who pay for her ads."

Fox Mulder

Psst, no one is going to do anything about it.

Mahonay

Banned
I question your clear understanding of the Syria situation if you think it's a topic that can be adequately expounded on in a mere 120 seconds. They were both tasked with giving a concise cliff note's version of their positions, and one of the two demonstrably failed.

It wasn't Clinton.
"What about the innocent civilians being relentlessly bombed to death in Aleppo?"

Trump - "THEY'RE ALL ISIS"

Just rewatched the part where Trump says if he was president Khan would still be alive. You can see Hilary's demeanor break from calm to furious before she calmed back down again. There is so much to be furious about, but I think that might have been the lowest point of the night.

Azzanadra

He's the candidate of one of America's two biggest parties. He's already just as legitimate a candidate as Hillary, Romney, Obama, McCain etc. just as any republican or democrat whose ever ran in past generals. Besides, if you want Hillary to win skipping the debates would have hurt her... excuse me... tremendously.

Jeffrey

Man I feel really bad for the victims that trump brought. Hope they were compensated well.

Reopening a can of worms that will hurt them more than Hillary. I don't think she even acknowledged they were there in her response which to fair wasn't the question at hand, but yeah if anyone lost, was trumps's 'trump card'

joeposh

I think Van Jones nailed it with his assessment that Clinton won because it can be reasonably argued that Trump won. This makes life a lot harder for the Republicans who would have otherwise renounced him over the next few days, and the party at large who may have maneuvered to push him off the ticket if he totally cratered. It keeps Trump "in the game" as it were, and allows them to continue to bury him with opposition research over this final month.

it's very cynical, but this is nothing if not a cynical election.

Davide

And yet she has won the post-debate polls both times and is ahead nationally and in the battle grounds. Those are the numbers that matter, not anecdotal opinions. It would be a terrible move for her to skip any debate. Hillary won this debate. There is no question there.
I'm not sure about that. While I disagree I've seen many people claim he won the debate, a few news site like telegraph think he won. All because all he had to do was distract people away from the tape. Watching the debate I was surrounded by people who were disgusted with him but thought he did well enough. I just hope Hillary is a little less reserved against him in the next debate.

I think Van Jones nailed it with his assessment that Clinton won because it can be reasonably argued that Trump won. This makes life a lot harder for the Republicans who would have otherwise renounced him over the next few days, and the party at large who may have maneuvered to push him off the ticket if he totally cratered. It keeps Trump "in the game" as it were, and allows them to continue to bury him with opposition research over this final month.

it's very cynical, but this is nothing if not a cynical election.
This.

MikeDown

Banned
Do you honestly believe that a 90 minute debate in this election would have gotten into the minutia of a country a world away?

Do you have the solutions to Syria?
I wouldn't be surprised if half the country hadn't even knew of Syria before this election and the war. Regardless, that isn't a reason for it not to be discussed.

As far as a solution, I would say the best outcome at this point is to convince Turkey to withdraw, give the Kurds their own territory/nation and support the Syrian government in bringing stability to the region. I detest Assad, he is worthless scum who doesn't deserve to draw another breath, but I would argue supporting his government is the best solution to ending the war. We need to bring stability to the region, and Assad's government is the best option for that, they already have existing social services & infrastructure, the "moderate" rebels can provide none of those things. :/

What about her answer made you feel she is a warhawk? She wanted humanitarian efforts...I think you're being reductive saying that they both don't have an understanding of the situation. She was Secretary of State. He disagreed with his running mate's stance and then rambled to be contrary.
Humanitarian efforts are great! But I meant that more so with her talk in regards to the Russians, I think nobody here approves of the tactics their air force uses. But to suggest and pursue the idea of possible military action against Russia is something I feel isn't needed and will just make the situation worse. Sorry if my response is vague, but I need to get some sleep/

"Grab the chair by the pussy"
giphy.gif
Feel this GIF will get alot of use

Debirudog

I'm not sure about that. While I disagree I've seen many people claim he won the debate, a few news site like telegraph think he won. All because all he had to do was distract people away from the tape. I just hope Hillary is a little less reserved against him in the next debate.

I think it depends on where you live. CNN is pretty mainstream and even slightly conservative, so I'm inclined to believe more polls would show that Hillary won the debate.

I'm not sure about that. While I disagree I've seen many people claim he won the debate, a few news site like telegraph think he won. All because all he had to do was distract people away from the tape. Watching the debate I was surrounded by people who were disgusted with him but thought he did well enough. I just hope Hillary is a little less reserved against him in the next debate.

This.

How the fuck do you disagree with two separate polls? Yes, those people who thought he won are those people included in the poll, the minority.

watershed

Banned

Hillary won both debates and is winning this election. Trump is the candidate currently bleeding support and drowning in controversy. If you're "not so sure about that" then maybe you are self-selecting a different reality for yourself. Post debate insta-polls have her winning and actual scientific polls had her winning coming into the debate. Trump is currently losing this election and people all over the country have already begun voting. These are not opinions, these are facts. And Hillary Clinton will show up to the last debate because it would make no sense not to.

Nerokis

On the other hand, his candidacy has allowed the Democratic platform to veer incredibly left - if you'd asked me 4 years ago whether a candidate would throw their full weight behind stuff like abortion, marriage equality, and gun control, I'd give you an emphatic no. And if you told me that Hillary Clinton, of all people, could run on that platform and still retain a strong probability of winning (80-95%), I'd have labelled you insane. And yet here we are.

I wouldn't credit Trump with this. Obama is the one who put together the coalition, used it to unite the various factions of the Democratic Party, and pulled it and the country leftward over the course of ~8 years.

Hillary is pretty much just picking up where he left off.

I did like her subtle defense of single-payer, though. A lot of liberals have this weird view of her as being Republican-lite or something, but her progressive (and pragmatic, actually) impulses slipped through there. :p

Biske

I like how people give Trump training wheels and then say he won.

"well he didn't shit his pants on stage so he really pulled it off"

Can't wait for this shit to end.

BOTH SIDES ARE THE SAME, AM I RIGHT!?!?!?!

This.

Those people have some low standards then. His talk on us arming rebels who end up being worst was the most intelligent thing he said. Everything else was laughable to those watching it with me.

After your advice regarding her skipping the debates, I honestly don't feel like you have the best opinion regarding the whole process tbh.

Rewatching her WikiLeaks question and it was still her worst question. It definitely won't come up again in a foreign policy debate so the strategy seems to be to take a loss on it because there is no quick way to defend that one.

Davide

I think it depends on where you live. CNN is pretty mainstream and even slightly conservative, so I'm inclined to believe more polls would show that Hillary won the debate.

More conservative than what, The Young Turks? CNN admitted with the first debate poll their audience leans more Democrat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom