• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

Ive uninstalled this. The combat is so, so fucking bad. I cant handle it. The gloo gun is absolute shit and its pretty much the only thing you can use early on. I have no desire to see anything else this game has to offer. Awful combat, lame story, weak enemy design/encounters, ugh. Disappointed.

The gloo gun isn't meant as a damage weapon, more as an auxiliary tool to create platforms, fix leaks and freeze enemies. It's amazing.

You have a wrench, no?

munroe

Ive uninstalled this. The combat is so, so fucking bad. I cant handle it. The gloo gun is absolute shit and its pretty much the only thing you can use early on. I have no desire to see anything else this game has to offer. Awful combat, lame story, weak enemy design/encounters, ugh. Disappointed.

As you probably haven't found any of the other weapons in the game you probably haven't progressed at all, so how would you know the quality of the story or the other enemy designs/encounters?

bati

How exactly do respawns work? Are they based on ingame time? I'm doing long exploration stretches and get repopulated areas almost every time I return, but not if I'm just traveling between two places in a span of few minutes.

DeaDPo0L84

Sounds like you have barely scratched the surface yet have a detailed opinion of things like the story, multiple enemy types, and combat progression. Pretty impressive, sounds like you never really gave it a shot and went into it thinking it was something else and then pre-maturely gave up on it because it didnt fit what your idea was. Maybe do more research before buying the next game or read more player opinions?

munroe

How exactly do respawns work? Are they based on ingame time? I'm doing long exploration stretches and get repopulated areas almost every time I return, but not if I'm just traveling between two places in a span of few minutes.

Think enemies are spawned what you advance the story. So just going back and forth between areas without completing objectives but as soon as you start progressing then they'll spawn

kliklik

Banned

Yes it appears to be time-based, not objective-based. I've been exploring in areas (not doing sidequests, just reading terminals and such) and they'll repopulate after a period of time has passed when you enter another area, just like the Nightmare.

In some areas (Life Support), before certain points in the main story plot, the enemies will respawn in the same locations. They'll even be the same type of enemy (etheric phantom, voltaic phantom, etc.) Other enemies seem to be one-and-done. They have their one moment because they are a bit of an area-related sub-plot, and then they don't respawn.

I can't really find a pattern to it all.

After the crew quarter, I just gave up and put the game on easy mode.

Now that I can focus on what the game is excellent at, exploration, it's amazingly fun ! I think the game really gets better when you reach about 10-15 hours, because you start remembering all these characters and what they do in Talos I, which is very difficult to understand before because there are soooo much characters.

Finding a corpse of someone you've read a bunch of email of is pretty amazing, and reading the email that X sent to Y on X's computer hours after you've read it on Y's computer feels incredibly coherent.

Any news on the hardcore mode? I'm itching for a replay and am kind of waiting on this to finally jump back in.

At 8:30, they discuss about the removal of Trauma system (Third degree burns, broken legs, etc...) and other survival elements in the interview and said they're willing to put them in a future "survival" update. Kinda like Fallout 4's survival mode (I know you dislike the game, so don't shoot me pls), if you ask me

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Have there been any new patches for consoles since launch addressing any of the control issues, etc??

Sotha Sil

At 8:30, they discuss about the removal of Trauma and other survival elements in the interview and said they're willing to put them in a future "survival" update. Kinda like Fallout 4's survival mode (I know you dislike the game, so don't shoot me pls), if you ask me

That would be awesome.

Finished it tonight ~34 hours total, great game.
Saved everyone, minimal typon powers, was pretty much a god by the end, so while Hard mode started somewhat difficult, if petered off later in the game. The ending was rather abrupt. I wasn't surprised by the ending, as I had figured it out from the breadcrumb in Danielle Sho's office in the recording between her and Morgan and implanting typhon with human attributes or whatever it was. It wrapped up rather nicely all in all though, I wish there had been a way to save January.

I feel like this game would be less enjoyable on consoles btw. The combat feels much more geared towards PC players, especially early on.

I think you can! Kill or shock Alex, then blow up the station!

Ignore the fact that destroying the station kills January.

Also ignore the fact that there's no January to save anyways.

bati

Any news on the hardcore mode? I'm itching for a replay and am kind of waiting on this to finally jump back in.

This would be amazing. I'm on nightmare and I'm finding the game a bit easy now that I got most of the damage upgrades out of the way. With a fully upgraded shotgun, 250% sneak multiplier and fully leveled up Firearms I took off half of
Nightmare's
hp with the opening attack. Insane.

But more than that, I'd play the game a lot differently if I had limited save slots or only checkpoint saves, or even permadeath.

What am I doing wrong with Dahl?

Bring him to the medical bay, nothing happens. Leave the Aboretum, fail the mission.

You don't have to bring him to med bay. Just knock him out and after you leave, Igwe will call you later and do the process in Neuromod Division

NeonBlack

You don't have to bring him to med bay. Just knock him out and after you leave, Igwe will call you later and do the process in Neuromod Division

He's unconscious and if I leave the area the mission is instantly failed.

Edit:
Figured it out, if you trigger the part with Alex then you get the problem I have. I went back to a quick save I had before opening Alex's safe room

pots555

I am finding that taking my time to explore and read everything makes this game much more enjoyable. I am really liking the atmosphere and setting.

Grisby

This is a damn good game. Very, very reminiscent of System Shock 2.

Story has been kind of light so far, but I'm currently exploring the
life support/bay/whatever
area. The ship has just been a joy to go around in.
Make sure to upgrade inventory space, leverage, hacking, combat focus, stealth attacks and faster movement. That will be godlike build and you will wreck everyone. As for typhon I recommend mimic, because there are a lot of places you can't get into without it.
Yeah, some good advice on the mimic deal.

bati

Is it possible to get the achievement for finding everyone on the station without killing anyone? There's a locked IT Security room in the Lobby which apparently only opens if you off some people.

PeaceUK

Is it possible to get the achievement for finding everyone on the station without killing anyone? There's a locked IT Security room in the Lobby which apparently only opens if you off some people.

Yes, i don't know what the exact requirements are but the achievement popped for me randomly when i still had like 10 or so people left to find. The four staff in the IT room aren't actually there, it only has the tracking bands in it since they spawn for a specific quest in a "kill everyone" run.

I'm fairly late I think, how much longer do I have to go?

Just entered
Deep storage for the 2nd time to deactivate my tracker after Steve Blum showed up with his killer robots.

Also some zero g combat is really spoiling my fun whenever it comes up. The little expodey bastards are just ugh and if you have to fight anything larger it's just an exercise in frustration.

PeaceUK

Just entered
Deep storage for the 2nd time to deactivate my tracker after Steve Blum showed up with his killer robots.

Also some zero g combat is really spoiling my fun whenever it comes up. The little expodey bastards are just ugh and if you have to fight anything larger it's just an exercise in frustration.

The floaty orbs are easy when you know how they work, they only react to movement, so throwing anything at a group of them will cause them to attack it and explode.

Just beat the game, and I really really hope Bethesda lets Arkane continue making these games. Please let them make a sequel.

As for end game spoiler. I had the timing wrong.
I thought Morgan was seeing the future, or what the Typhon wanted to do. With Alex and his team removing the Typhon from Morgan because she/he was losing themselves.

wowzors

Played a couple of hours on pc today. I got to the
aboretum
weird bugs with all the items falling through the map kept happening started
at the electromagnetic thing that was fucked up near where you first get the psyonics

At 8:30, they discuss about the removal of Trauma system (Third degree burns, broken legs, etc...) and other survival elements in the interview and said they're willing to put them in a future "survival" update. Kinda like Fallout 4's survival mode (I know you dislike the game, so don't shoot me pls), if you ask me
I'm jonesin' for just about anything at this point, but that sounds great. I had to uninstall the game to resist the urge to replay it until more patches come out and potentially DLC that might add more things to fiddle around with.

Just entered

Use the Huntress Boltcaster against them. They react to any kind of any movement and the toy crossbow is best used against it

robin2

You can see the "hardcore" features were stripped quite late in the development: there's oxygen tanks everywhere and even a email about a safe containing oxygen tanks. Also among the game hints there's one about weapon degradation (saying that fabricator-made weapons degrade faster).

Nere

Once I figured out turrets can be picked up and deployed all I have been doing is picking up turrets and deploying them to destroy the aliens, seems a bit broken to me.

bati

Once I figured out turrets can be picked up and deployed all I have been doing is picking up turrets and deploying them to destroy the aliens, seems a bit broken to me.

Doesn't work that well on higher difficulties. Even if you fortify them they can still be knocked down easily.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I thought so at first, then I ran out of spare parts. You can invest in skills that help with repairs and spare parts as well, but there are many areas where you can't bring a turret.

They also aggro the hell out of enemies, and usually will not take put more than 1 before getting destroyed, then you are in a pickle. I find them to be pretty balanced.

kliklik

Banned

I ran into a Technopath very early in the game, and so for the entire game I've looked at all turrets with distrust and put them away when I find them.

It may not be for you but let's be real here, you've clearly played the game extremely incompetently. Be honest, did you get stuck in the apartment?

Rien

Jelly Belly
I have this strange but annoying bug that just appeared today.
There is an objective marker above my reticle which doesnt seem to dissapear anymore lol. Anyone have the same bug?? And is there a solution?

M0KTWrk.jpg

kliklik

Banned
I have this strange but annoying bug that just appeared today.
There is an objective marker above my reticle which doesnt seem to dissapear anymore lol. Anyone have the same bug?? And is there a solution?

Yes I got that, except the objective marker BECAME my reticle. The only solution for me was to reload an old save.

bati

Finally finished (human only, Nightmare diff). What a game, unbelievable. Stuff like this comes around maybe once every 15 years.

How hard is it to play with only Typhon abilities, especially on higher difficulties? I had a look at some of the abilities and while they seem strong I think the first third of the game could be a little painful. Possibly the final stretches too due to lack of health upgrades.

SliChillax

Game is great but the loading times are killing me, and I'm playing on a high end PC with SSD. I feel sorry for console players, loading times must be even worse. I wish there was a fast travel system where I can jump to where I have to be without having to go through 3 different loading screens to get to my location.

Top Bottom