• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

PaulLFC

bQNVNSl.png

First of all, big thanks to rvy for providing the images and content pointers for the thread; he asked me to post it up as he's busy currently, so, enjoy. And thanks to Adam from the PES team for providing some info on licences, game modes etc to rvy :)

headerletteringmgs3w.png

foxenginexpes55sem.png

foxengine6nsmt.png

keimasudactsqm.png

whatisnew0xskv.png

heart6nskf.png

masswnsvj.png

teamplay4nxze.png

thecoreosb7y.png

trueball9olh3.png

pesidh2sac.png

gamemodes80sm6.png

pes2014becomealegendgsqsi0.png
pes2014leaguemodeargeujstl.png

pes2014masterleaguenatls2m.png
pes2014masterleagueon2qs4b.png

Online 11 vs 11 mode has been confirmed - you can use your Become a Legend player in place of playing as a real player in 11v11.

Exhibition modes
Exhibition
Online Ranking Match
Online Free Match Lobby
Team Play Lobby
Exhibition Watch Mode

Football Life
Master League
Master League Online
Become a Legend

Competition
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Europa League
Copa Libertadores
AFC Champions League
Cup
Competition Online
League

Training
Free Training
Performance Training

Edit
Stats & Info
Online Options
Options
My PES/WE (controller settings, etc)

demou3sux.png

The PES 2014 PS3 demo was released on September 10th in the US, and the 11th in Europe. The Xbox 360 demo was released on September 12th. Download links are below:

PSN
XBL

The demo allows you to play matches with any of the following 11 teams:

Bayern Munich
Santos FC
Manchester United
Colo-Colo
Boca Juniors
England
Germany
Italy
Spain
France
Portugal

Selected demo impressions

Zep said:
Man, the individuality of this game is ridiculous. Im gonna bump up the difficulty in my next match to see the computer be more aggressive but loved what I played so far, compared to PES '11.
Raging Spaniard said:
Played a few games with people at work (some of them fifa fans)

We all left very, VERY impressed. The animations and physics system are amazing! It all looks so lifelike, the speed is perfect and players feel like real people when they move, trip, regain their balance and fight for a ball.

Its the first time in about 5 years where I feel like Im playing a new game. This isnt the return of the king, this is a new heir.

Cannnot wait to go back and play more.
Regret Truth said:
Got Damn. This.

I've been playing both demos all day. Some thoughts...

-FIFA's presentations simply murders PES. PES needs an overhaul of the entire interface. It feels like some sort of hybrid of Window 3.1.

-PES also has shit commentary and FIFA has some of the best commentary in the the business.

-Graphics I feel both do a solid job but I'd have to give the nod to FIFA. Better frame rate and higher quality stadiums. PES has better player models though.

Gameplay wise? PES is king. Konami really captured the feel and excitement of build up and a good balance of fast paced football. No question for me which game plays better.

This year PES is slapping the crown of FIFA. Watch the throne.

Day 1
NHale said:
After the demos from the 2 games, I have to say I'm slightly disappointed with both of them.

When they changed the engine for PES, I was expecting to notice a lot of differences from last years game but while animations and graphics are definitely improved, some of the flaws are still present like the goalkeepers behaviour.

However the thing that impressed me the most is how much better PES AI movement is compared to FIFA. Teammates actually try to move to open spaces like real players do instead one of running the predefined routes even if that means the user controlled player gets less space to manoveur. Playing both demos back-to-back really highlight how much different is the AI in both demos.
Rayven_king said:
Holy shit this game is amazing, Im getting my ass handed to me and loving it, you really have to use your football brain to get anywhere. I'm gonna have to focus to wean myself from holding R1 sprint like the old games
Jack cw said:
Played 2 games yesterday and was pretty amazed. The lighting and animations are incredible and the ball has some weight and I absolutely love the short acceleration after the first touch... Compared to the FIFA demo this is nearly a generational leap.

Many more impressions in the demo thread

reviewsnksbl.png

*Coming soon*

optionfilecrsiy.png

What is an option file
An option file is edit mode data for PES games, named as such because it has been referred to as "Option File" by the game since the days of ISS on the original PlayStation.

An option file allows you to play with updated kits, team names, player faces and transfers - solving one of the most common issues with PES, that of EA locking the licences down for many of the leagues.

Sounds good, how do I get one to work with my game?
The general process involves downloading a file, extracting it and then loading the game, and there you go - however, this varies by platform. More detailed walkthroughs are below, although please note, these are subject to change until after the game has released - the new engine may have changed the usage process for option files, we won't know this until release.

PC
1. You may want to go to your PES 2014 install folder and create a full back up of it, if you have space, in case of any problems during install. Then you can just revert to this copy and go from there.
2. Download a PC option file, and if it's a zip/RAR, extract it.
3. Double click the .exe and point it to your PES 2014 install folder (if it doesn't find it automatically).
4. Start the game, and enjoy.

PS3
1. Download a PS3 option file, and extract the folder.
2. Plug in a USB stick and create the folder "PS3" and then inside that, create the folder "SAVEDATA" (both without quotes).
3. Copy the files you downloaded and extrated into this SAVEDATA folder.
4. Now put the USB stick into your PS3, and then go to "Saved Data Utility" under "Game".
5. Use the console's "Select All" functionality to choose all files on the memory stick (if there's more than one file), and choose Copy to transfer them to your PS3.
5. Start PES 2014 and enjoy.

Here's a short video by Youtube user "MrMarkcoos" showing you how to copy the files from the memory stick to your PS3

Xbox 360
1. Download an Xbox 360 option file, and extract the folder.
2. Put a USB stick in your Xbox 360 and format it for use - you need to reserve at least 512MB for Xbox use.
3. Put the memory stick in your PC, go to the Xbox folder, and make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is activated in folder options in Windows.
4. Copy the files you downloaded with the option file into the Xbox folder, replacing any that already exist (in the video example below, these are "Data0001" and "Data0002").
4. Put the memory stick into your Xbox 360, and access it via Storage in System Settings.
5. Go to "Games and Apps" where you should see PES 2014 listed. Choose this and then copy (not move) it to your hard drive or main storage.
6. When notified that some items already exist, choose "Yes, replace all items".
7. Start PES 2014 and enjoy.

Here's an easy to follow video tutorial by YouTube user "DJDaymos", creator of one of the popular option files

licensesvzs01.png

Although EA has some licences locked up exclusively, Madden-style (like the Barclays Premier League), Konami have managed to obtain quite a few licences themselves. These are:

Leagues
- Eredivisie (Holland)
- La Liga (Spain)
- Ligue 1 (France)
- Serie A (Italy)
- Primera Liga (Argentina)
- Primera Liga (Chile)
- Campeonato Brasileiro (Brazil)
- J-League (Japan) (Only available on Japansese versions of the game)

Tournaments
- The UEFA Champions League
- The UEFA Europa League
- The Copa Libertadores
- The AFC Champions League

Classic and 3rd Kits (Pre-order DLC)
These kits are, at first, only available via pre-order DLC. They will later be released as free DLC for everyone, according to Konami.

releasedate38sd6.png

81iFXOlEjfL._SX425_.jpg

Europe (except UK): 19th September 2013
UK: 20th September 2013
US: 20th September 2013?
Japan: 20th September 2013?

FAQ

Where are the real life teams?! Why is the Premier League not here, or the Bundesliga?
Licencing issues, specifically EA, are to blame here. They have tied up exclusivity, Madden-style, on these leagues. The way around this is to download an option file - see above for everything you should need to know, or ask in the thread if you're still not sure.

Is there a list of all the controls for different situations?
Yes. Pause the game and select Command List. Another good way to learn the controls is to play the 'Performance Training' mode, which sets you challenges to do while learning both basic and advanced controls.

How do I defend properly?
Defending has changed quite a bit from past PES games. This image should explain everything you need to know (via Outerspace):

q3llXnc.jpg

Can I buy the game on Steam?
Supposedly yes, but info from Konami is limited. We'll know more on launch day (20th).

Can I buy the game on PSN?
The game is confirmed to be on PSN in Europe. Other regions are unconfirmed so far. If anyone confirms either way in the thread I'll update this.

Is the game on PS4/XB1?
No, not this year. PS3/360/PC only for the new engine version, PS2/PSP for the version based on the PS2 engine. Konami stated that they want to make a proper next gen game instead of just the HD port that it would have been if they rushed a version out this year.

Show me GIFs!
You're welcome:

I've been playing the demo and it's amazing.

Feels so much better, the ball physics, the players weight and the animations makes a world difference compared PES 12 which is the last one I have.

So this year we can finally say: THE KING IS BACK!

Tecl0n

Nice OT, a small correction in Argentina it's Primera División not Primera Liga.

Anyhow, i'm still waiting for the PC demo sadly...(maybe it could leak, you know....)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Love it, nice OP.

Ordered a Euro version of the game for superior system files.

We keep playing the demo at work, the notorious flaw being that the halves are so short that we cant get down and do proper plays because we feel so rushed, lol.

Hoping the FPS improves on final release and that player awareness has been improved. Other than that really looking forward to learning all the dribble moves properly :)

velociraptor

What is Master League Online?

Since there is no PS4 version, guess I'll be forced to pick up FIFA 14 instead. It's a shame, because I absolutely loved the PES 14 demo. It just feels so damn good.

This game is the sole reason I am hanging on to my PS3. I have been playing the demo non-stop. :D

All manual settings with assists off is quite the experience.

Waiting to see how the PC version is and if it has a decent online community but I´ll probably get it. First PES I´ll buy since 2008, I think.

rvy

Banned
What is Master League Online?

Since there is no PS4 version, guess I'll be forced to pick up FIFA 14 instead. It's a shame, because I absolutely loved the PES 14 demo. It just feels so damn good.

Pretty much what the name implies, you play Master League online. Get a team, improve it and beat people with it.

rvy

Banned
No mention of the best version in OP? ... seriously.

We still don't know much, will have to wait for the PC version and try it out to give you guys better info on it. All we know is that it should look stellar and perform very well on good rigs.

Cess007

some of the flaws are still present like the goalkeepers behaviour.

Yeah, it's one of the few things that is still pissing me off. Goalkeppers still behaves really weird at times, and others remains in the goal line until user is like 3 steps away from them.

But, even with those issues, i really liked more PES this year. As is obvious, the menu and layout of FIFA destroys PES once again; but the gameplay feels superb. Totally an overhaul from last year. The only thing i wished i could change on the demo was the difficult setting; the default one is pretty easy.

BAL mode still an afterthought? Is it weird that I want to play mostly that?

Nop, i remember spending more than 80hrs in that mode on PES2012.

rvy

Banned
Turned it off, still showing up! :(

I really don't know then. Try turning everything off, lol. Maybe it has a weird name.

The only thing i wished i could change on the demo was the difficult setting; the default one is pretty easy.

But you can, from the pre-game match menu, go to settings and set it up to a higher one.

BAL mode still an afterthought? Is it weird that I want to play mostly that?

How is it an afterthought? We even have 11 vs 11 online.

inky

How is it an afterthought? We even have 11 vs 11 online.

I'm talking features mostly. Something to with the currency you earn beyond buying shoes, integration of the training mode, etc. BAL is very one note and barebones when it comes to that. I haven't played PES for a couple of releases, so that is why I am asking.

Enlil

Why no mention of Havok? I thinkg it's unfair to say it's only beause of Fox engine. That's giving KONAMI to much credit. good thing is they are now past the pride and we can enjoy a good football game.

I may be crazy but I never play night games, because the controls become clunky I had the same with pes 2013 and 2011. I am convinced night games does something to the responsiveness. PES always does things to people.

rvy

Banned
I'm talking features mostly. Something to with the currency you earn beyond buying shoes, integration of the training mode, etc. BAL is very one note and barebones when it comes to that. I haven't played PES for a couple of releases, so that is why I am asking.

BAL is still a mystery, we don't know a lot about it, so I wouldn't classify it as an afterthought before even playing it.

Top Bottom