• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

I like this bit of news:
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/w...twork2&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=popular

This is good news - not just faces, but DLC after the game is released... PES is kind of famous for them not doing much after the game is released, despite us playing it for complete year.

A bit harsh, 2012 had various dlc and 2013 had about 6 data pack updates which included roster updates, new boots, new stadiums, new kids and gameplay improvements so to be fair to Konami they have been trying recently.

Keio

For a Finer World
semttulof3sza.png
This! This whole generation has been depressive, but finally Konami delivers.

After struggling to enjoy the FIFA 14 demo (and having played 100+ hrs of FIFA 13) the PES 2014 demo was a revelation.

Master League, good to have you back. Curious about how the online head2head is, that's what I spent most of my FIFA time on.

eso76

I swear, every year it's the same

"yes, i know, I know, i said the same thing last year, but this time it's true ! Finally, PES really is better than FIFA !"

"yes, i know, I know, i said the same thing last year, but this time it's true ! Finally, PES really is better than FIFA !"

I have no idea, i just think Fox Engine is the most 'next gen' thing i've seen.

Gotta say that contrary to the earlier years, this year the demo is really growing on me. And some of the animations and the general presentation is so much superior to FIFA.

If they only had the licenses...

Keio

For a Finer World
Gotta say that contrary to the earlier years, this year the demo is really growing on me. And some of the animations and the general presentation is so much superior to FIFA.

If they only had the licenses...
The past few years I deleted the demo in disgust. But yeah, now it plays really well.

Reminds me of FIFA in 2009, there is a lot of flaws but you just feel that something is now right under the hood on which they can build.

Despite the lack of licenses, I'm probably buying both this year.

Juicy Bob

Last PES (and football) game I bought was PES 2011. As much as I really enjoyed the gameplay, I always found it slightly frustrating that the game had this habit of not doing exactly what you wanted all the time. Not passing to the player in obvious space but the guy next to him surrounded by defenders, things like that.

Playing the 2014 demo, not only is the gameplay smooth, natural and rewarding, everything just...works. No more frustrating misfires - the game just seems to understand what you're trying to do and if you miss a shot or misdirect a pass, it's YOUR fault.

I'm so looking forward to this iteration. More customisable leagues means more Master League depth, unlimited emblem slots is a great move and the Fox engine makes the core experience feel really fresh. Time to dive back into the world of football gaming.

Sonix90

Neo Member
Surprising news - Japan national team is unlicensed (fake names, kits) but... not in the Japanese version, where everything's ok.

The speed settings are there, from -2 to 2.

The overall rating in Master League will not go over 99.

There's Club World Cup in ML. And as a coach of a national team you can participate in all continental cups.

Stadium List:

Licensed

Old Trafford
Wembley Stadium
Allianz Arena
Guiseppe Meazza
San Siro
Juventus Stadium
Estádio da Luz
Stade de France
Estadio Urbano Caldeira
Estádio do Morumbi
El Monumental
King Fahd International Stadium
Saitama Stadium 2002

Generic

Konami Stadium
Royal London Stadium
Burg Stadion
Estadio de Escorpião
Estadio del Nuevo Triunfo

The disc looks like this:

2zs6.jpg

epaturun

not played football games in a few years

I love the way PES 14 demo feels, animates and plays - seems so real life like

I then played the FIFA 14 demo - the presentation and commentary is miles ahead but just did not have the same feel as PES 14.

For next year PES need to go next gen graphics, improve on any AI issues/bugs from this year and spend time on presentation and mainly the commentary

rvy

Banned
did WE have them on disc or would it be a dlc like last year?

It was DLC last year? I don't remember that. What they did was update the NT kit in January, but the team was already licensed from the getgo.
Rumour going around WENB is that it will be indeed DLC. A J-League DLC pack for the EU and US copies of the game would be wonderful too.

Here's hoping.

Next week is gonna be painful, so much work and PES and GTA coming out.

Just a small bit so you guys don't get confused, the 3rd kit DLC is restricted to those teams, most other teams in the game feature 3rd kits regardless.
And all the 3rd kits from pre-order and classic team kits will be available for free after a small time.

liger05

PES sales have been on the decline for years and they release the same week as GTA V?

Guess I will pick it up for £25 next month.

rvy

Banned
PES sales have been on the decline for years and they release the same week as GTA V?

Guess I will pick it up for £25 next month.

If you're simply taking into account European and US numbers, then sure. Even if some territories remain loyal to the brand, such as Spain and Italy.
But in Asia and South America, FIFA is not even a factor.

I think PES 2014 sales numbers will be interesting. Especially in Europe, we'll see.

It was DLC last year? I don't remember that. What they did was update the NT kit in January, but the team was already licensed from the getgo.
Rumour going around WENB is that it will be indeed DLC. A J-League DLC pack for the EU and US copies of the game would be wonderful too.

Here's hoping.
they've stopped making WE J-league edition, it's been dlc only for J-league since WE 2012.

now that PES have AFC CL they should have been including them on disc, i am still wondering just what stopping them.

rvy

Banned
Finally got my hands on the 360 demo yesterday, it appears the graphics are a bit better and the famerate during gameplay is also higher.

Surprising news - Japan national team is unlicensed (fake names, kits) but... not in the Japanese version, where everything's ok.

The speed settings are there, from -2 to 2.

The overall rating in Master League will not go over 99.

There's Club World Cup in ML. And as a coach of a national team you can participate in all continental cups.

Stadium List:

Licensed

Old Trafford
Wembley Stadium
Allianz Arena
Guiseppe Meazza
San Siro
Juventus Stadium
Estádio da Luz
Stade de France
Estadio Urbano Caldeira
Estádio do Morumbi
El Monumental
King Fahd International Stadium
Saitama Stadium 2002

Generic

Konami Stadium
Royal London Stadium
Burg Stadion
Estadio de Escorpião
Estadio del Nuevo Triunfo

The disc looks like this:

2zs6.jpg

WTF? only 13 licensed stadiums?

THEY LOST ESTÁDIO DO DRAGÃO?????
Even fucking Alvalade. WTF???
The chicken's stadium is the only portuguese stadium in the game??? Fuck this, man.
I usually don't give licenses that much importance,but not this. Not like this.
No day 1 buy anymore. Will wait to see what they do with the stupid DLCs

elfinke

I feel like I make this post every year, but the last footy game I bought was PES10, which I enjoyed, but it certainly did not grab me the way PS2-era PES's did. I've never enjoyed playing FIFA, despite it coming along leaps and bounds this generation.

As a result, I've not really spent any time playing footy games. I've got this years demo installed on the PS3 - as soon as the TV frees up I'll be giving it a bash, but while I wait I have one quick question for those more loyal than I:

Are Castolo/Minanda/Espimas etc still the default players in the Master League these days?

rvy

Banned
I would like to take a moment to thank https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti for his kindness. he has sent myself and Paul two promotional copies of the game just because we worked on the OT. It really came out of nowhere, I simply messaged him on Twitter a couple of times for info on the game and then forwarded him this thread. Very generous of him and Konami to do this for two guys on the internet who are not part of the press at all.

Thanks a lot, Adam. It is very appreciated. And also thanks to this place for being big enough to justify this sort of thing.

raven777

I have been hearing that the final version is more responsive and the gameplay is faster than the demo(PS3) version. Is this true?

bigol

I think sales will still be not so great in Europe.
Even if this year game is great (i think it is) you cannot simply cancel six-seven years of disappointments.

Just Pes 2013 and now Pes 2014 are the real Pes to me on Ps3 and 360

Besides, online.

I pray for an excellent online,that is fundamental for the sales,since most people pay exclusively online.

Online in previous Pes has been pretty mediocre

I feel like I make this post every year, but the last footy game I bought was PES10, which I enjoyed, but it certainly did not grab me the way PS2-era PES's did. I've never enjoyed playing FIFA, despite it coming along leaps and bounds this generation.

As a result, I've not really spent any time playing footy games. I've got this years demo installed on the PS3 - as soon as the TV frees up I'll be giving it a bash, but while I wait I have one quick question for those more loyal than I:

Are Castolo/Minanda/Espimas etc still the default players in the Master League these days?

PES 2010 is actually the PES game I enjoyed the most on current-gen (excluding the almighty Wii versions)

I missed the faces in that game.

i59oCnt2Wp2SH.jpg

ib1f6E4VMvPPdA.png

ibyspvf2w7rW8E.jpg

isylZMEgC2Bn8.jpg

il3U34cTRIo65.jpg

rvy

Banned
Hundreds of faces will be added to the game post launch, it is simply an issue of re-making the assets as opposed to using the old ones, the engine does not allow it, so that's why we have a lot of key player faces missing that you probably didn't expect.

Also, OFs do have the ability to fix faces as well.

Is there a PC demo?

Post launch.

PaulLFC

I have been hearing that the final version is more responsive and the gameplay is faster than the demo(PS3) version. Is this true?
I don't think I'd mind this if true (unless the game was a lot faster) - game speed settings should let everyone adjust to a speed they're comfortable with anyway.

My one main complaint with the demo was that first time shots seem very difficult to do - the vast majority of the time the player will still take a touch before shooting, sometimes giving the defender enough time to close him down in the process. If responsiveness was improved there so first time shots are possible if the shoot command was input before the ball reaches the player, then great.

rvy

Banned
I don't think I'd mind this if true (unless the game was a lot faster) - game speed settings should let everyone adjust to a speed they're comfortable with anyway.

My one main complaint with the demo was that first time shots seem very difficult to do - the vast majority of the time the player will still take a touch before shooting, sometimes giving the defender enough time to close him down in the process. If responsiveness was improved there so first time shots are possible if the shoot command was input before the ball reaches the player, then great.

Day one patch coming with a lot of improvements made to various gameplay areas. One being keepers, the other shooting and cursor switching.

PaulLFC

Day one patch coming with a lot of improvements made to various gameplay areas. One being keepers, the other shooting and cursor switching.
All good areas for improvement - keepers at the moment are a little too prone to just watching shots fly by them, even though that's quite a rare occurrence in reality. They've been massively improved though, the double save animations especially are brilliant. Always room for improvement with keepers though, and that goes for both series, so I'm glad to see it's being addressed.

rvy

Banned
All good areas for improvement - keepers at the moment are a little too prone to just watching shots fly by them, even though that's quite a rare occurrence in reality. They've been massively improved though, the double save animations especially are brilliant. Always room for improvement with keepers though, and that goes for both series, so I'm glad to see it's being addressed.

People keep whining that the catch-up bug from last year is present, I have seen nothing of the sort in my almost 6 hours of demo play time. I'm going to bed at 3 AM just to play this game and get up at 8 :lol.

I also read mentions of improvements made to the Superstar difficulty.

PaulLFC

People keep whining that the catch-up bug from last year is present, I have seen nothing of the sort in my almost 6 hours of demo play time. I'm going to bed at 3 AM just to play this game and get up at 8 :lol.

I also read mentions of improvements made to the Superstar difficulty.
Is that where the defenders will catch up even if your striker is in the clear? I can't say I've noticed it but I'd need to play more to be sure. It seems to be very dependant on stats such as pace this year, which is good, and of course on starting position relative to the defender.

I'm sat here on my lunch break at work looking forward to getting home and playing the demo :lol good to feel like this about PES again!

raven777

I felt this wasn't just for shooting, but for passing and movement as well. It almost felt like an input lag where things don't respond at the exact moment I press them. I don't know if this was intentional design choice or just a problem with demo.

rvy

Banned
Is that where the defenders will catch up even if your striker is in the clear? I can't say I've noticed it but I'd need to play more to be sure. It seems to be very dependant on stats such as pace this year, which is good, and of course on starting position relative to the defender.

Yeah. I think it's definitely stat based this year, a lot of the issue seems to stem from the fact that people don't know how to properly sprint. If you really wanna speed past players, get a fast player like Ronaldo and double tap the sprinting button.

I felt this wasn't just for shooting, but for passing and movement as well. It almost felt like an input lag where things don't respond at the exact moment I press them. I don't know if this was intentional design choice or just a problem with demo.

Inertia and momentum, really.

sohois

i think regarding the catch up bug, one thing that PES has always had is a noticeable difference in speed comparing the dribbler to someone without the ball, hence why the dash dribble kicks the ball so much further ahead.

i wonder if perhaps people are mistaking "catch up bug" for a situation where the defender is just too close to the attacker. i did notice on occasional through balls that the defender would catch up, nut not every one. however there is always a chance one will only see the latter situation

elfinke

Haha, oh man. Rafael looks like Tak Fuji. It's glorious.

And this demo is abit of alright. Some of the old PES is still there (CPU always recovers from their animations just that quicker than you do and there is still the odd time where you swear you've timed your input for the first-touch pass or volley, only for your player to control it instead), but it's a mighty fine demo all the same.

The new 'advanced' through ball is a thing of beauty too, most of the time. The only hang up I have with it when I want a 5yd through ball, where in basic mode a tap of triangle would be perfect, but on advanced I have to place it and tap it even lighter. But with more practice, oh man oh man it's a ripper.

ibu

Haha, oh man. Rafael looks like Tak Fuji. It's glorious.

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that, I howled in delight at the sight of him.

Awaiting my press copy now, will post a link to the review when I'm done.

I would like to take a moment to thank https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti for his kindness. he has sent myself and Paul two promotional copies of the game just because we worked on the OT. It really came out of nowhere, I simply messaged him on Twitter a couple of times for info on the game and then forwarded him this thread. Very generous of him and Konami to do this for two guys on the internet who are not part of the press at all.

Thanks a lot, Adam. It is very appreciated. And also thanks to this place for being big enough to justify this sort of thing.

Thats bad ass! Good looking out Konami!

Top Bottom