• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 |OT| The King Is Dead, Long Live The King!

I might actually bite again. The cover looks about as generic as a shaved mid-30s space marine but I suppose the Champions League banner might attract quite some numbers.

Addnan

Damn, don't think retail PC copies activate on Steam. Could have got it for so much cheaper :(

The @Adam_Bhatti fella seems to think activating retail games on on Steam is not a common thing. You know Konami is new to the PC market lol!

dc89

Hey Rvy, can I post my impressions from the Football thread that I wrote before or will you say I'm smoking weed again?

feel

ibrmbE9R1aTQz0.jpg

PaulLFC

It's never coming back man.
I need to play the retail version to be sure, but I'd say from the 20-odd matches I've played on the demo so far, this is the year PES gets back to where it was. How that compares with FIFA, which is now good compared to terrible in the PS2 PES days, is down to opinion - I prefer PES, it feels more fluid and unpredictable. I think this is the first time since the PS2 days we've had a really, really good PES game, and I'm glad it's back.

ShogunX

Those close up Gifs in the OP are terrible. All of them look awkward and laughable especially the one with the tackle, the player with the ball is just staring blankly in the wrong direction.

eso76

I hate football/soccer games with a passion but tried the demo to see what the fox engine was capable of.

Well, I think it may be one of the most impressive achievements this gen.
I don't play the game, I just pause and enter free camera mode.

Man I wish I could take photo mode grabs of what I'm seeing.
Best realtime lighting ever, by a huge margin.

It looks like very accurate IBL with radiosity and light bounces, it's unbelievable.

Man.
I feel kojipro might just have started a revolution in real time cg photorealism

East Lake

Isn't that what they said about FIFA before they turned it around? This is hardly a NBA Live type of situation with PES.
Fifa has always been bad for me in comparison to what I liked about last gen PES. Almost finished downloading 14 now though. We;ll see how it goes.

I need to play the retail version to be sure, but I'd say from the 20-odd matches I've played on the demo so far, this is the year PES gets back to where it was. How that compares with FIFA, which is now good compared to terrible in the PS2 PES days, is down to opinion - I prefer PES, it feels more fluid and unpredictable. I think this is the first time since the PS2 days we've had a really, really good PES game, and I'm glad it's back.
It does feel somewhat fluid and unpredictable. I don't know if I'd say shooting for instance has the exact same variety yet but it's not terrible by any means. The big problem for me right now is the input lag. I played PES 6 last night after a few rounds of 14 and the difference is night and day. Animations aren't as smooth and the movement is more limited but the players react so quickly to your commands that going back to playing 14 is frustrating.

Haunted

Consensus from my circle of footy aficionados seems to indicate superior gameplay to FIFA with inferior presentation and licensing.

Looks like we're back to the tradeoff era of the mid-2000s compared to the FIFA dominance of the last 3-4 years.

I buy PES every year and am really glad, after the improvements of the last 2 iterations, they've really built on that hard work with the new engine rather than the new engine setting them back to 'day 1' again and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

On a side note I must say the player likenesses from the gameplay camera are better than ever. Everyone looks the same on FIFA, but here you can see who everyone is from a mile off which really adds to the realism.

velociraptor

I hate football/soccer games with a passion but tried the demo to see what the fox engine was capable of.

Well, I think it may be one of the most impressive achievements this gen.
I don't play the game, I just pause and enter free camera mode.

Man I wish I could take photo mode grabs of what I'm seeing.
Best realtime lighting ever, by a huge margin.

It looks like very accurate IBL with radiosity and light bounces, it's unbelievable.

Man.
I feel kojipro might just have started a revolution in real time cg photorealism
The lighting really is stunning, isn't it? I can only imagine what the Fox Engine will look like on next-gen console. Hnnnng.

Spat_triate

My only negative beefs after playingfor quite a few hours:

I hope they improve the response time after collisions. The CPU always seems to have the edge there. Also for fuck sake Konami improve the player's AI teammates! I can't count how many shitty goals I've conceded because my 'defenders' conveniently step out of the way. This problem has been plaguing PES for years, it's about damn time they do something about it.

Guys, we need to share more videos of goals - here's one I recorded. I made a crap pass and the CPU took advantage of that:

YouTube

This is the shit I'm talking about. Crap pass or not, your defender just stood there without reacting. Just horrible.

Pachimari

My only negative beefs after playingfor quite a few hours:

I hope they improve the response time after collisions. The CPU always seems to have the edge there. Also for fuck sake Konami improve the player's AI teammates! I can't count how many shitty goals I've conceded because my 'defenders' conveniently step out of the way. This problem has been plaguing PES for years, it's about damn time they do something about it.

This is the shit I'm talking about. Crap pass or not, your defender just stood there without reacting. Just horrible.

I didn't notice that but yeah, you're definitely right. Frustrating moment and shocking hah. :D

I still don't know how to do dribbling, do I need to hold down one of the shoulder buttons in order to dribble with the left+right rights?

So glad this game is shaping up to be a great one. Will be a day one buy for me. Oh and great thread! Will definitely be subbing this for the OFs.

Finally being able to post on gaf after a long wait and months of thread watching/reading feels sooogood.gif :]

Zep

Banned
Since he doesn't start in the game, I never saw how they captured Robben. Its hilarious how they nailed the way he prances on the pitch with his hands, lol!

spwolf

it is same old story, should it be perfect or not... because plenty of goals are scored like this, defender is not expecting the ball.

spwolf

I like this bit of news:
http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/w...twork2&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=popular

As Konami European Community Manager, Adam Bhatti has stated, Konami will be adding hundreds of faces post launch to Pro Evolution Soccer 2014.

This alone is great news for those calling for more DLC from Konami to keep the game fresh.

We want to gather some feedback to give to him and the team in Windsor. Head to the forums to let us know who you want to have a proper face in PES 2014 for a chance to be added in the game at a later date! Adam has also said that him and the team are aiming to have up to 1000 proper faces in the game within 2 months of launch.

This is good news - not just faces, but DLC after the game is released... PES is kind of famous for them not doing much after the game is released, despite us playing it for complete year.

valeo

To be honest - do people really, really care about if they recognise the players faces? Sure, maybe the first handful of times you play - but when you're 100 games in..

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Btw, how do you flick the ball over your head after a chest first touch? Press R3 on impact and then flick R analog?

Excellent OT PaulLFC!

Appreciate the quote :D

This might sound crazy but when it comes to my hype levels its PES14>>>GTAV

The king has been gone far too long.

Courage

I keep playing Bayern - Man U and I'm amazed by the physics and animations.

P.S. I'm stoned. I love you Mandzukic

Coming from playing fifa for so many years, getting used to the feints is a bit difficult for me. Any tips on how to get open more easily and retain the ball? Or am i just gonna have to read through the command list?

Top Bottom