• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

ValfarHL

Is that the playseat challenge ? Any good ?

Yeah, I'm loving it. It's so comfy I can play for 4-5 hours without problems. My T500rs is over the recommended weight, but it's not a problem. There is close to no sideways movement while racing. There is a bit of vertical movement (up and down) but it never bothers me while I'm driving. It also easy to stuff away.

anx10us

Banned
Yeah, I'm loving it. It's so comfy I can play for 4-5 hours without problems. My T500rs is over the recommended weight, but it's not a problem. There is close to no sideways movement while racing. There is a bit of vertical movement (up and down) but it never bothers me while I'm driving. It also easy to stuff away.

Good to know, I want a seat and wheel (have a logitech that doesn't work on PS4), i'm pretty much decided on the T300 and playseat challenge, I like the idea of being able to fold it up and stick in a cupboard/out of the way ...

danowat

Banned
Does anybody know for sure whether the Novice/Amateur/Pro setting on first boot affects physics, or anything under the hood that isn't changeable within the menus? I'm reading conflicting reports.

It felt a bit different to me, even with the same exact controller settings. I also read about someone posting lap times 4 seconds faster, which is a significant difference, with identical settings other than that initial choice.

If physics, or anything you can't adjust on a menu, is affected then there's a pretty big issue when it comes to competing online.

No, it just sets the driving aids and nothing else.

LilJoka

Xbox one,

Is the online racing dead? This is weird.

Its hard to find a race, and its always a disaster race. You join midweay, cars are parked on the side of the road. just a mess.

Its normal.
The lobbies are region seperated, you only see lobbies in your own region. That might be the reason.
X1 version is horrible though, so maybe some already have given up.

Dobsie

Lap times update each hour or so, I think. So, once the time is done, don't worry, it will upload eventually,
Cool, thanks.

Uhmm... isn't throttle blipping just to shift without using the clutch (or to quick-shift without pushing the clutch down entirely OR to use the clutch normally but reduce wear)? In a sprint or time-trial you can just violate the clutch or use automatic clutch, right? Educate me, guys? Will driving without the auto clutch make me faster if I learn blipping?
I mean blipping the throttle when downshifting to match the revs of the gear you're changing to so the backend doesn't kick out/ become unstable.
The invalidated lap sections on brands hatch are way out, can take as much curb/grass as you want on turn 3 (literally all 4 wheels off the track) and it doesn't invalidate the time.

Tried those. It works okay with every modern GT cars, but that's awful with classics and road cars, switched back to regular mode 3 and steering deadzone at 20. Feels way better in every case, at least for me.

Overall I feel that the game is designed for wheels, and pad gameplay is there just to be there.
For me it's Shift 2 all over again, great game that no matter how hard I try, I am not able to enjoy fully because pad gameplay.

Yeah, feel just the same....:( Shift to was very hard to set up too. Wish they had some decent set-ups so you could enjoy the game with a controller instead of spending hours to achieve that yourself.

Really wanna enjoy the game and I love the way it looks but I spend three evenings trying to find a working set up for my DS4, but whatever I choose and whatever settings I tweak it never feels that I'm in control. I don't drive the cars, the cars seem to drive me.

Really driving me nuts. I know Project Cars can't be compared to GT6 of Forza but those game were actually enjoyable with a controller. Gonna give it a few more evenings though...desperately seeking for a good set up :/

Also...Still can't understand how it's possible for the steering deadzone to be set to '6',
I can only choose 5-10-15 etc in every mode.

Korezo

I downloaded the FFb fix that was stickied on the steam forums from pcars forums and still disappointed.. All it did was tighten the wheel spring, I still don't have road feedback.. I hate when im going through bumps the avatars hands wheel is twitching because it shows ffb steering wheel animations but none of it transfers to the wheel.. Please sms fix it.

Cool, thanks.

I mean blipping the throttle when downshifting to match the revs of the gear you're changing to so the backend doesn't kick out/ become unstable.
The invalidated lap sections on brands hatch are way out, can take as much curb/grass as you want on turn 3 (literally all 4 wheels off the track) and it doesn't invalidate the time.

Ok, that's what I meant. If you do it right, you can shift without using the clutch. I knew a guy who could do it perfectly with his old A8, up- and downshifts.

Didn't know you do that to prevent torque kick-in in racing.

Fox Mulder

Yeah, feel just the same....:( Shift to was very hard to set up too. Wish they had some decent set-ups so you could enjoy the game with a controller instead of spending hours to achieve that yourself.

Really wanna enjoy the game and I love the way it looks but I spend three evenings trying to find a working set up for my DS4, but whatever I choose and whatever settings I tweak it never feels that I'm in control. I don't drive the cars, the cars seem to drive me.

Really driving me nuts. I know Project Cars can't be compared to GT6 of Forza but those game were actually enjoyable with a controller. Gonna give it a few more evenings though...desperately seeking for a good set up :/

Also...Still can't understand how it's possible for the steering deadzone to be set to '6',
I can only choose 5-10-15 etc in every mode.

I went back into controller settings today and some were different odd numbers that I can't select too. Game is a bit bugged all over the place really.

I'm not going to sweat the controller, this game is just too hard with it. Controllers in stuff like forza and f1 are deadend to make it easier, this doesnt.

I'm getting a wheel, but probably not for another month or so since I'm starting a new job.

Linius

So after the UK National Super Kart races there's another tournament with five more races starting at Hockenheim. How long does the Super Kart thing go on? I'll be glad to get it over with by now :p

I went back into controller settings today and some were different odd numbers that I can't select too. Game is a bit bugged all over the place really.

I'm not going to sweat the controller, this game is just too hard with it. Controllers in stuff like forza and f1 are deadend to make it easier, this doesnt.

I'm getting a wheel, but probably not for another month or so since I'm starting a new job.

The numbers are odd indeed, cycling back and forth I saw 3 and 8 pop up ( setting 2 ) and a few moments later they were gone. Will shelve it for the upcoming patch I guess. Hope SMS will take controllers users serious and fix this in the upcoming patch. Just too damn hard for me to find a decent set-up. I wanna race, not spend hours looking for a set up.

Tayaya

Controller player here. The game is definitely playable with a controller but the defaults are by no means forgiving. Absolutely everything about this game was built with wheel users in mind.

Since I don't have space for even a basic clamp-on-the-desk wheel right now, let alone a playseat, I am determined to master this game with a controller. I have only been using the default slider settings for now, because I've only had about 3 hours of time with the game, but as they are out of the box the only thing I think it really needs is a smoother progression out of the deadzone - unnecessary twitch while getting the stick broken from its resting position resistance seems to be the biggest cause of most of the twitchiness, and what makes it hard to just make smooth, tiny corrections to a line. I'll be tweaking a lot this weekend, and of course if I find a good mix I'll share!

If I could beat Driving Emotion Type-S (Japanese Version - no self-centering steering), I am sure I can get Project Cars to bend to my will!

Can't wait to have space for a wheel, and budget for a playseat!

AristoCat

Yep I'm also getting one. Been tweaking the settings everyday for a week now and still getting nowhere. But I really want to enjoy the game.

Linius

I'm really doubting if I should up the difficulty. I just absolutely slayed Hockenheim Short in a five lap race, won with 42 seconds distance. But on the other hand I still spin around every now and then and on a hard track I still struggle. Guess I should just try pushing the difficulty to 50.

HF2014

Ok, im playing the PS4 version, and im about seriously to throw away the game by the window..oh well.. I cant!! I bought it on ps store, but still....

First, the drawing line... It is not accurate at all. It show green when it shold change.... Second, the controls..... After playing with Forza 5 which was smooth as butter, i really cannot find a control setting that would feel close to it.... Wasted like one hour trying, nothing to do.... Its either not enough responsive or too responsive...

Maybe a lot here really enjoy it, but im seriously not in the wow mood atm, product feel unfinished....god the AI in azure circuit feel horrible.

If ayone here got some goos controller like Forza setting they could advice, id love to know how you pkay, it could at least make it enjoyable for me....

Thanks in advanced if you got the time...

AU Tiger

Ok, im playing the PS4 version, and im about seriously to throw away the game by the window..oh well.. I cant!! I bought it on ps store, but still....

First, the drawing line... It is not accurate at all. It show green when it shold change.... Second, the controls..... After playing with Forza 5 which was smooth as butter, i really cannot find a control setting that would feel close to it.... Wasted like one hour trying, nothing to do.... Its either not enough responsive or too responsive...

Maybe a lot here really enjoy it, but im seriously not in the wow mood atm, product feel unfinished....god the AI in azure circuit feel horrible.

If ayone here got some goos controller like Forza setting they could advice, id love to know how you pkay, it could at least make it enjoyable for me....

the color of the line is hit or miss. I'm not sure what they use to determine when it changes color but there are numerous cars that I've noticed you can more or less ignore it. Open wheel formula A and cars like that you can pretty much stay in the throttle long after the line has turned red for you to be braking.

HF2014

Ok went on Project Cars forums, and i found this post by someone

I know this is a different game but i could of sworn i had to somthing along the lines of changing controller settings on shift 2 to make the car handle better.

Anywas looking aroound on other forums apparently a guy on race department suggest's

"Set everything to 0. And I mean everything, throttle, brakes the lot.
Turn off advanced settings.
Then just turn speed sensitivity upto 80."

Looks like a good place to start. Hopefully they get a patch out.

Seriously, it really make the game more enjoyable, try it!

Azzawon

I'm having a break from Career mode on XB1. The force feedback on this game is completely broken and everything that is not a thoroughbred race car drives like utter shite. I'm in the off-season at the moment and everything being thrown at me has some awful road cars that are impossible to drive with a steering wheel because of how broken it is. I'm not touching road cars again until the FFB is patched, it's shocking how bad it is compared to when I plug my EXACT same wheel into my PC and play it with the same settings.

The Cowboy

It really is amazing what a few steering/throttle/braking adjustment can make, used most of the settings in the thread Klocker posted above and just WOW at the difference (I'm on the PC version using an Xbox One pad).

I went with 0 dead zone and 0 sensitivity on both the throttle and brakes, and steering dead zone 15 steering sensitivity at 0 and speed sensitivity I kept it at 65 - it just feels so much better.

I'm not sure why the defaults are set as they are, they feel absolutely horrible.

Klocker

I'm having a break from Career mode on XB1. The force feedback on this game is completely broken and everything that is not a thoroughbred race car drives like utter shite. I'm in the off-season at the moment and everything being thrown at me has some awful road cars that are impossible to drive with a steering wheel because of how broken it is. I'm not touching road cars again until the FFB is patched, it's shocking how bad it is compared to when I plug my EXACT same wheel into my PC and play it with the same settings.
. Wow. well at least that means there is hope to fix Xbox controls

TEH-CJ

Banned
Fuck this game! I'm shelving it. Just encountered literally a game breaking bug with the controls. I reset controls back to its default state. Now for some stupid reason there is a bug where I can only turn the wheel by a couple of inches so it makes impossible to go around any corners. I have reset the game and the PS4 and no avail. Stuck with this bug.

SMS this is fucking unacceptable to release a game in such a state. This game is NOT FINISHED. The pathetic thing, I see this being a trend with majority of developers. Their mentality is " Fuck it, release the game half finished, we will just patch it some time down the track lololol"

I'm 99% certain that will never get patched. It's just a different philosophy behind it (and I give SMS credit for this). It's setup to give you the feedback the road would give the steering of a real car instead of compensating for missing senses. But that must be the fourth time I've said that in this thread. As far as I have heard the FFB on PC and PS4 are just scaled up (like "Master-Scale") compared to XB1.

Check SoP settings in the car's(! not options, CAR'S!) ffb setting, turn them from 0(default) to 50 (just not damping) and you instantly got your normal forza ffb-feeling. Fine tune that after your first impression a little and your good to go. The FFB is amazing in my opinion, for both philosophies, personally I use a good mix at the moment.

Edit:
Now for some stupid reason there is a bug where I can only turn the wheel by a couple of inches so it makes impossible to go around any corners. I have reset the game and the PS4 and no avail. Stuck with this bug.
Have you tried a different car? Is it the same with other production road cars?

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm 99% certain that will never get patched. It's just a different philosophy behind it (and I give SMS credit for this). It's setup to give you the feedback the road would give the steering of a real car instead of compensating for missing senses. But that must be the fourth time I've said that in this thread. As far as I have heard the FFB on PC and PS4 are just scaled up (like "Master-Scale") compared to XB1.

Check SoP settings in the car's(! not options, CAR'S!) ffb setting, turn them from 0(default) to 50 (just not damping) and you instantly got your normal forza ffb-feeling. Fine tune that after your first impression a little and your good to go. The FFB is amazing in my opinion, for both philosophies, personally I use a good mix at the moment.

Edit:

Have you tried a different car? Is it the same with other production road cars?

Changing cars fixed it. Thanks mate. The game is still riddled with bugs.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I'd been enjoying the PS4 version with the T300RS wheel, but I seem to have ran into some big glitch.

I was working on qualifying in a BAC Mono for an invitational event in career, and the wheel went crazy all of a sudden after a return to pit to tweak things. It started immediately jerking a little to the left and staying their when the race loaded. I unplugged the wheel and plugged it back in to auto recalibrate, and that fixed that issue. But then the car drove very differently. I noticed all the settings (FFB, and car tuning settings) went back to default (or what I assume are default settings). I can change them and it will feel better, but when I restart or return to pit and go to tweak them, they're all back to the default again.

On top of that, even with the settings back where I had them (at least the FFB, I'm not sure about car tuning as I generally don't mess with those) the car is driving differently and spinning out in corners way more than before and force feedback is weaker. And I can't tweak settings much to fix it as everything keeps resetting back to the default everytime I go to the tuning menu! I checked the wheel in the control panel hooked up to my PC and everything seems fine

Has anyone else ran into this bug? Is there something I can do (delete and reinstall the game?) to reset things so its working normally again? Super frustrating!

oRuin

Thought this might be the best place to ask. Any running a TM T300RS? Thoughts with PCars on PS4?

Also, anyone using a Wheel Stand Pro?

I'm curious if the players having trouble with the controller spent a lot of time with any of the Gran Turismo games.

I'm on PS4 with default controls and it all feels very familiar to me.

LilJoka

You cannot get Forza like settings since Forza does a fair amount to aid the pad users with a combination of highly tuned speed sensitivity, damping and making sure you do not apply more lock than peak slip angles. Thats what makes it a dream to drive with a pad.

No PC sim has this, and PCars has the exact same type of pad controls you could find a decade ago with rFactor, except its got a ton of options to tune it. But the factors that Forza uses are not there to be tuned.

Youll find in faster cars the sweepers become non-responsive, and in slower cars the hairpins become non responsive. By non responsive i mean you cant get the amount of steering lock you ideally need. And one can be sacrificed for the other by adjusting speed sensitivity but at a loss for mid speed corners. It needs a Gamma setting to have a non linear tuning, but it doesnt. So youll find that no pad settings actually satisfy all cars and tracks like Forza does.

Most will compromise slow speed twitchyness for high speed stability, so get the fastest car and sweepy track to tune speed sensitivity to make the sweepers manageable without understeer. Then deal with it at low speeds, and slower cars. Atleast you can get enough lock on at hairpins this way.

Catalunya Turn 3 is one to test, Hairpin at Monaco, and the kink in the back straight at Nurb GP. Spa's Eau Rouge is another one to test.

These are my settings (Enable input mode 2 first):
Project Cars Pad Settings
Steering deadzone 0.13
Steering sensitivity 5%
Throttle sensitivity 40%
Brake sensitivity 40%
Speed sensitivity 65%
Controller filtering sensitivity 60%
Input mode 2
Advanced:-
Soft steering On
Visual filtering Off

Thought this might be the best place to ask. Any running a TM T300RS? Thoughts with PCars on PS4?

I have one, its excellent.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I found by turning off all advanced options like visual filtering, soft steering etc has helped a lot. I have more control of the car because its raw input.

brentech

Into the Caterham Academy, but I think I saw I might still have some Superkart left?

First race of the Caterham Academy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndar8rcvoU8

Almost lost control of it on the final lap. Made for a tight finish. Still trying to figure out best AI difficulty. I'm clearly not a top driver, but I've moved up to 80 now and they really only compete if I mess up bad. Gotta keep bumping it up.

RP912

Banned
After hours of playing the game throughout the week. I take back half the stuff I said earlier in the thread with the exception of the AMD issues. This is probably one of the best...if not the best racing game I have played since Gran Turismo 5. I understand the game and appreciate what it's doing. The career mode is growing on me to the point where it's addicting. The whole idea of learning the cars and trying to master them is a good change of pace compared to the typical reward system in most racing games.

Bottom line I'm having a blast and apologize for the "shitty physics" comparison to Assetto Corsa. I found out that the game is heavy driven on tweaking and car tuning to get the car running right. It's a nightmare if you have a controller, but it's rewarding once you find that sweet spot.

I just hope for a damn driver update and a few more patches because the game is still buggy as hell....but it's a amazing experience. Like somebody said on the stream forums for Project CARS...don't give up on the game and keep on trying. If it weren't for those words of advice, I would have uninstalled the game and just went back to Assetto Corsa.

fresquito

I can't keep a lot of the faster cars on the track in the rain even with traction control on, anyone got any tips?
The most basic thing is being very gentle on the trottle on turn exit. If you can't be gentle enough, then you should probably not accelerate until your car body has stopped rolling. A stiffer Front Sway Bar can help there. For medium and fast corners you should keep an eye on your rear and be willing to be playfull with the trottle. Adding more rear wing will help you there. Reducing the Camber (moving towars the positives) can also help to evacuate more water. The same can be said for upping the pressures, which also will help in keeping the tyres warm. Lower the Brake Pressure to avoid aquaplaning, too.

I woould suggest focusing on the throttle and braking pattern above anything else, though.

Jibbed

Collision physics online are a fucking joke. Any contact between cars and it's like the steering just gives up, both of you get stuck to one another and you're gone.

Rubbing is most definitely part of the racing when it comes to the touring cars.

Does exactly what you expect it to do. For some people the middle shaft between your legs (that didn't sound weird at all) is really annoying, especially with some left foot braking techniques, but I never had problems with it. I als have a TM TX wheel eith 458challenge wheel addon, very similar to the T300RS, and a T500RS. Go for the T300RS, I'm vonvinced it will be great.

saladine1

After hours of playing the game throughout the week. I take back half the stuff I said earlier in the thread with the exception of the AMD issues. This is probably one of the best...if not the best racing game I have played since Gran Turismo 5. I understand the game and appreciate what it's doing. The career mode is growing on me to the point where it's addicting. The whole idea of learning the cars and trying to master them is a good change of pace compared to the typical reward system in most racing games.

Bottom line I'm having a blast and apologize for the "shitty physics" comparison to Assetto Corsa. I found out that the game is heavy driven on tweaking and car tuning to get the car running right. It's a nightmare if you have a controller, but it's rewarding once you find that sweet spot.

I just hope for a damn driver update and a few more patches because the game is still buggy as hell....but it's a amazing experience. Like somebody said on the stream forums for Project CARS...don't give up on the game and keep on trying. If it weren't for those words of advice, I would have uninstalled the game and just went back to Assetto Corsa.

I came to that realization a few pages back too lol

I've come to love the "zero to hero" career. Starting from the bottom and working my way up suits me well. The fact that I have time to stick to one car and learn its ins and outs on a variety of courses is such a rewarding experience. Throwing in some invitationals and such into the mix to alleviate any monotony that might occur is genius.
In contrast, Forza throws cars at me left,right and centre causing me to keep changing cars and not sticking to any one in particular.

So, to sum up:
pCars is like a marriage
Forza is like a one night stand

God bless you all.

oRuin

Been using the Wheel Stand Pro with a DFGT for quite a while now, it's great. Super nice build quality as well.

Does exactly what you expect it to do. For some people the middle shaft between your legs (that didn't sound weird at all) is really annoying, especially with some left foot braking techniques, but I never had problems with it. I als have a TM TX wheel eith 458challenge wheel addon, very similar to the T300RS, and a T500RS. Go for the T300RS, I'm vonvinced it will be great.

Thanks for the feedback. Guessing it's going to be the T300RS, Wheel Stand Pro, and the T3PA-PRO. Cheers!
Waiting on pretty much all of them items to come back in stock!

RP912

Banned
I came to that realization a few pages back too lol

Hit the nail on the head with the marriage comparison lol. I swear the game gets better each playthrough and I don't experience any boredom at all. Around the endurance portion of GT5, I felt a bit of fatigue by the large amount of cars and only driving like 10 of them. Project CARS makes me appreciate each car and understand that not every car is going to drive the way you want it.

The moment you get that prototype contract though <3

So many people having issues. That's sad and hopefully addressed. I for one have had almost no bugs/glitches as of yet. (almost 10 hours in)

I also use the controller and started to really do well with the default settings. Idk how haha. I did set it up according to many posts I've seen and it did feel better. I'm having such a blast with the game. The invalid lap time annoys me though as sometimes it triggers if a fraction of one wheel hits the grass for a split second. Also going to have to find some people to play online with. Playing with randoms is pretty frustrating. I'm the type that will absolutely let you go by if you are faster but people still like to run into me regardless.

HF2014

You cannot get Forza like settings since Forza does a fair amount to aid the pad users with a combination of highly tuned speed sensitivity, damping and making sure you do not apply more lock than peak slip angles. Thats what makes it a dream to drive with a pad.

No PC sim has this, and PCars has the exact same type of pad controls you could find a decade ago with rFactor, except its got a ton of options to tune it. But the factors that Forza uses are not there to be tuned.

Youll find in faster cars the sweepers become non-responsive, and in slower cars the hairpins become non responsive. By non responsive i mean you cant get the amount of steering lock you ideally need. And one can be sacrificed for the other by adjusting speed sensitivity but at a loss for mid speed corners. It needs a Gamma setting to have a non linear tuning, but it doesnt. So youll find that no pad settings actually satisfy all cars and tracks like Forza does.

Most will compromise slow speed twitchyness for high speed stability, so get the fastest car and sweepy track to tune speed sensitivity to make the sweepers manageable without understeer. Then deal with it at low speeds, and slower cars. Atleast you can get enough lock on at hairpins this way.

Catalunya Turn 3 is one to test, Hairpin at Monaco, and the kink in the back straight at Nurb GP. Spa's Eau Rouge is another one to test.

These are my settings (Enable input mode 2 first):
Project Cars Pad Settings
Steering deadzone 0.13
Steering sensitivity 5%
Throttle sensitivity 40%
Brake sensitivity 40%
Speed sensitivity 65%
Controller filtering sensitivity 60%
Input mode 2
Advanced:-
Soft steering On
Visual filtering Off

Giving that a try. Thanks for sharing. But seriously, i was an xone owner before and really considering getting one back just for Forza. Sold it to get a PS4, but god its weak for racing game...well to my taste.

Top Bottom