• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS | OT | Made by 80.000 slightly mad developers

Klocker

Al of a sudden after making controller setting adjustments, game started acting wonky with cars reacting completely out of control. Even restarted. Going to keep playing with it later. I was pretty happy with my settings but was trying some new things. Lol. Should have known better

I'm curious if the players having trouble with the controller spent a lot of time with any of the Gran Turismo games.

I'm on PS4 with default controls and it all feels very familiar to me.

This is what I'd like to know too. If Logitech support comes I'll instabuy, but right now I'm on the fence cause of the complaints regarding the controls.

I prefer playing with a wheel but I could always handle playing with a pad.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Al of a sudden after making controller setting adjustments, game started acting wonky with cars reacting completely out of control. Even restarted. Going to keep playing with it later. I was pretty happy with my settings but was trying some new things. Lol. Should have known better

I had the same. And it won't save setting changes anymore.

Ok, im playing the PS4 version, and im about seriously to throw away the game by the window..oh well.. I cant!! I bought it on ps store, but still....

First, the drawing line... It is not accurate at all. It show green when it shold change.... Second, the controls..... After playing with Forza 5 which was smooth as butter, i really cannot find a control setting that would feel close to it.... Wasted like one hour trying, nothing to do.... Its either not enough responsive or too responsive...

Maybe a lot here really enjoy it, but im seriously not in the wow mood atm, product feel unfinished....god the AI in azure circuit feel horrible.

If ayone here got some goos controller like Forza setting they could advice, id love to know how you pkay, it could at least make it enjoyable for me....

Thanks in advanced if you got the time...
I'd recommend turning the driving line off as the first order of business: it's a crutch you don't need, and all it does is stop you from learning the tracks and your car. Half the fun in this game is finding the limits of your car at a particular track, and you can't do that without experimenting (something the driving line discourages).

For the controller I'm using Danowats setup; it's the only one I've been using since the beginning, and I haven't had any problems with it in the cars I've been using (mostly karts and production cars so far),

lordxar

What advantages does this game have over, say, Drive Club, which I could also afford

Their both good in their own right and don't have much crossover. PCars is sim and DC is arcadey. I have both and love both for their individuality. If you want time trials and more solo play, get DC but if you want car tuning and multiplayer get PCars...or both!

nikos

So I'm doing some Communtiy and Time Trial events but it doesn't look like my time is being recorded. I'm entering, doing a few laps, then exiting. Am I doing something wrong? Laps weren't invalidated.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So I'm doing some Communtiy and Time Trial events but it doesn't look like my time is being recorded. I'm entering, doing a few laps, then exiting. Am I doing something wrong? Laps weren't invalidated.

i've heard it takes a long time for times to post

Metfanant

Any additional word on the modified car pack for those of us that went digital in the US and couldn't Pre-order?

Also, I asked this before, but didn't see an answer...

If I make the run up to LMP1 to earn zero to hero, am I stuck at the higher level? Or will I still get offered contracts from say, a GT3 team so I could spend the rest of my career in GT cars?

Their both good in their own right and don't have much crossover. PCars is sim and DC is arcadey. I have both and love both for their individuality. If you want time trials and more solo play, get DC but if you want car tuning and multiplayer get PCars...or both!

Thanks a lot!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Giving that a try. Thanks for sharing. But seriously, i was an xone owner before and really considering getting one back just for Forza. Sold it to get a PS4, but god its weak for racing game...well to my taste.

Well Pcars is more sim like than pretty much all other console racers. I mean, GT handles nice, nay, pretty damn well, but the rest of the content feels a decade or two behind. As for Foza, as someone mentioned earlier, the game focuses on short races where it's possible to come first every time and get rewards with cars and cash.

Pcars is about the thrill of the race. Don't strive for first every race because it's not going to happen unless you dial the AI right down. Some of my most epic races I've finished just outside the podium. I do restart from time to time but that's if I've outside the top 10 or really botch it up.

This game is about patience and picking the right time to make your move. Also, the driveline is there as a guide, don't rely on it. :)

AAAARGH, the game's blurryness during actual racing and the ghosting of cars is all causing way too much nausea and headache. Why did I have to buy this from the PS Store,ugh I have wasted $65/-

HF2014

These are my settings (Enable input mode 2 first):
Project Cars Pad Settings
Steering deadzone 0.13
Steering sensitivity 5%
Throttle sensitivity 40%
Brake sensitivity 40%
Speed sensitivity 65%
Controller filtering sensitivity 60%
Input mode 2
Advanced:-
Soft steering On
Visual filtering Off

Ok seriously, Kudos to these settings! They are very good and make the game very enjoyable!!!

Thanks for that!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
funny, in race hud says i set a best lap time of 1:41.077 but when i pause it says 1:41.078. rounding error somewhere? odd quirk

virtualS

PCars appears to have a crazy amount of technical issues if this thread is anything to go by.

I hope SMS don't abandon their 'project'.

The fact that they were willing to leave half the PC population out in the cold by signing their soul to nvidia at the last minute (and then openly bullshitting about it) doesn't fill me with confidence that the game will receive the attention it requires post release.

PCars appears to have a crazy amount of technical issues if this thread is anything to go by.

I hope SMS don't abandon their 'project'.

The fact that they were willing to leave half the PC population out in the cold by signing their soul to nvidia at the last minute (and then openly bullshitting about it) doesn't fill me with confidence that the game will receive the attention it requires post release.

There are these weird camera zooms at the start of the race where the camera goes through the insides of a car, lord >_<

Collision physics online are a fucking joke. Any contact between cars and it's like the steering just gives up, both of you get stuck to one another and you're gone.

Rubbing is most definitely part of the racing when it comes to the touring cars.

They have to do something about collision physics before oval racing is introduced. Rubbing is racing, but it looks like we're playing combat cars when you combine lag + crazy collision physics.

Cars stick to eachother like magnets. It's beyond horrible.

I tried online on PS4 for a while and holyshit, it's a jungle out there. It's Need for Speed levels of dirty stupid racing. I told this forum Pcars would sell to a lot of casuals, and judging by the lobbies it's already happening.

It's a shame because it's so tough to get some good small races online. In one end you have uber hard core people doing 100+ laps racing leagues with fancy stuff and a time devotion that's impossible for people with life, family and stuff and at the other end you have some crazy maniacs who came straight from GTA V online to Pcars.

Sometimes i just have one or two hours free on a wednesday night and i would like to find some good races with competitive clean people, but it's almost impossible to find this online. Gaf's GT5 races were awesome. We should regroup the guys for Pcars, considering most of us have the game.

----------------

About the controls on PS4, i don't understand many of the problems... it's crap because once you learn with the wheel, pad will always be horrible. But it's very similar to GT5-6. Cars are twitchy, you end up being way slower... but it is what it is.

I'm kind of regretting double dipping. PS4 visuals are less than what i expected, leaderboard support on consoles is horrendous, online lobbies still hit and miss and playing without the wheel is really bad. Should have trusted my PC more and stayed PC only.

danowat

Banned
You cannot get Forza like settings since Forza does a fair amount to aid the pad users with a combination of highly tuned speed sensitivity, damping and making sure you do not apply more lock than peak slip angles. Thats what makes it a dream to drive with a pad.

No PC sim has this, and PCars has the exact same type of pad controls you could find a decade ago with rFactor, except its got a ton of options to tune it. But the factors that Forza uses are not there to be tuned.

Yup, this is THE controller issue.

Now, Forza got lambasted for not being able to let you turn the wheel as far as you want at any speed, Forza had steering damping, just like you get in real life, you can't just turn the wheel any amount at speed because, physics.

A large portion of the community were crying about it "we want to be able to turn the wheel as far as we want at any speed", well, they've got their wish here!

PCars allows you to, and this is the fundamental reason why people are finding PCars hard to control, and one of the reasons oversteer correction is hard, very hard, you just would not be able to move the steering wheel as far, as quickly in real life as you can in game.

Linius

They only list the 3000 best times. I went trough the whole list to find that out. So if you can't beat number 3000 you won't find yourself.

Yup, this is THE controller issue.

Now, Forza got lambasted for not being able to let you turn the wheel as far as you want at any speed, Forza had steering damping, just like you get in real life, you can't just turn the wheel any amount at speed because, physics.

A large portion of the community were crying about it "we want to be able to turn the wheel as far as we want at any speed", well, they've got their wish here!

PCars allows you to, and this is the fundamental reason why people are finding PCars hard to control, and one of the reasons oversteer correction is hard, very hard, you just would not be able to move the steering wheel as far, as quickly in real life as you can in game.

I can't pinpoint exactly, but there has to be some hidden aid in Pcars for pad users. I went to do the same time trial i was doing on the PC version with the wheel and the Mustang was much more forgiving on PS4 with the pad. Some moves i've made on PS4 would have spun me playing with the wheel. Looks like some leeway on the inputs.

I'll test some more to see what this is all about.

danowat

Banned
I can't pinpoint exactly, but there has to be some hidden aid in Pcars for pad users. I went to do the same time trial i was doing on the PC version with the wheel and the Mustang was much more forgiving on PS4 with the pad. Some moves i've made on PS4 would have spun me playing with the wheel. Looks like some leeway on the inputs.

I'll test some more to see what this is all about.

Maybe an option (as I like it the way it is TBH) to have steering damping is needed.

naib

I'm fucking loving this game.

Maybe it's because I haven't dug in enough, or simply don't understand all the minutiae people are upset about. But I'm having a fucking blast, so far.

Haven't had this much fun with a racer since first being exposed to GT on the PS1.

EBreda

Just tried it right now - Xbone, Thrustmaster TX.

Force feedback setup almost default, some changes to individual car setup ffb. I raised X, Y and W values, turned of W smoothing, master to 64, feels MUCH better. Can feel the curbs and bumps now, and can easily tell when over steering. Understeering still seems to be a problem, specially because I'm using 900 rotation.

Question : how do I limit rotation to 540? Is it at the wheel itself? General options of the game? Calibrate wheel? Individual car setup? Couldn't find it. Any help appreciated.

Epiphany moment: just had a 5 lap race at Monza. Identical cars. Noon. Clear sky. AI at 90. With the correct fov setting (something close to 58 in my case) it feels IDENTICAL to F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast. Absolutely identical. It's a God's send. Been waiting for this for a very long time.. My favorite racing game ever faithfully reproduced.

Can't wait to explore more if this gem. Havent had any crashes or bugs yet. Frame rate seems solid so far. I know I'm in for disappointment when rain kicks in, but so far so good.

I know about the plethora of bugs found by the community and I'm sure I'll meet them sometime down the line, but damn game feels good right now. And I'm confident SMS will address most of the problems.

Tl;Dr: feels just like Dreamcast's F355 Challenge with the correct settings. Thanks Obama.

Just tried it right now - Xbone, Thrustmaster TX.

Force feedback setup almost default, some changes to individual car setup ffb. I raised X, Y and W values, turned of W smoothing, master to 64, feels MUCH better. Can feel the curbs and bumps now, and can easily tell when over steering. Understeering still seems to be a problem, specially because I'm using 900 rotation.

Question : how do I limit rotation to 540? Is it at the wheel itself? General options of the game? Calibrate wheel? Individual car setup? Couldn't find it. Any help appreciated.

Epiphany moment: just had a 5 lap race at Monza. Identical cars. Noon. Clear sky. AI at 90. With the correct fov setting (something close to 58 in my case) it feels IDENTICAL to F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast. Absolutely identical. It's a God's send. Been waiting for this for a very long time.. My favorite racing game ever faithfully reproduced.

Can't wait to explore more if this gem. Havent had any crashes or bugs yet. Frame rate seems solid so far. I know I'm in for disappointment when rain kicks in, but so far so good.

I know about the plethora of bugs found by the community and I'm sure I'll meet them sometime down the line, but damn game feels good right now. And I'm confident SMS will address most of the problems.

Tl;Dr: feels just like Dreamcast's F355 Challenge with the correct settings. Thanks Obama.

The only real issue I have had on the XB1 so far is that audio glitch where it sounds like the car is jacking into the Matrix. Its really annoying.

Got to say, right now, this game is really disappointing. I have the PS4 version and I'm using a Thrustmaster t500. I never feel in control. Slipping, spinning out, drifting left or right, car not wanting to brake and sliding. It's justs a really frustrating ride.

Does anyone have or can link me to a t500 configuration that works better than the stock config?

dedhead54

I thought I was decent at this game after doing the Formula Rookie championship. Then I signed to a new team in whatever the entry level GT class is. I haven't gotten to race those cars yet, instead my first race is in a RUF RGT 8. And after driving formula rookie it feels like I am driving a tank. I really need some more practice with different types of cars it would seem.

Got to say, right now, this game is really disappointing. I have the PS4 version and I'm using a Thrustmaster t500. I never feel in control. Slipping, spinning out, drifting left or right, car not wanting to brake and sliding. It's justs a really frustrating ride.

Does anyone have or can link me to a t500 configuration that works better than the stock config?

There is a inside sim racing video linked earlier in this thread, but that's mainly for FFB settings. Even when I was having FFB issues I wasn't having trouble with sliding all over the place, because I found a ton of the cars had pretty good grip.

ValfarHL

Try the standard tweak from here:
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?22938-Jack-Spade-FFB-Tweaker-Files

With the following settings:

Relative Adjust Gain 1.00
Relative Adjust Bleed 0.10
Relative Adjust Clamp 0.95

Scoop Knee 70
Scoop Reduction 15

You can play with the global settings for what you prefer, but this is a really good start. I feel really connected to the road and car with these settings.

If you want the cars real steering wheel rotation. Just read the OP and some of the thread.

ValfarHL

I thought I was decent at this game after doing the Formula Rookie championship. Then I signed to a new team in whatever the entry level GT class is. I haven't gotten to race those cars yet, instead my first race is in a RUF RGT 8. And after driving formula rookie it feels like I am driving a tank. I really need some more practice with different types of cars it would seem.

The Ruf is pretty fun once you get the hang of it! I went from a Clio to the Ruf though. :p

xrnzaaas

Heh, the result of the invitational race from season 2 of the career reminded me how Driveclub's multiplayer looks like.

1. BAC Mono
2. BAC Mono
3. My RUF
4. BAC Mono
5. BAC Mono
6. Ariel Atom

:D

In other news I fell in love with the Ginetta. It's such a fun and controllable car. You can go flat out for most of the time without being afraid of losing grip and it's even possible to post solid times with cold tyres. At this point I'm thinking of completing two seasons in this cup, because five racing weekends just ain't enough. :)

Mascot

So much rage in this thread.

Lots of joy, too.

A lot of the same questions keep getting asked (and answerd) over and over. I keep banging this drum, but please head over to the official forums, sign up, and contribute to the discussions there. It's the best way to report bugs, glitches, oddities and anomalies if you want the devs to take note, and its a great source of the latest workarounds, fixes, and info about things SMS are working on to correct.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/forum.php

TEH-CJ

Banned
Had to go back to default settings. The previous settings were good for GT3 cars but a disaster for every other car. Gona shelve this game until a patch is out.

nasanu

Banned

I have a T500rs, no matter what you do the game just isn't sending forces for things like locking wheels. The ffb is terrible and makes the game much harder.

danowat

Banned
So much rage in this thread.

Lots of joy, too.

Yup, it's a game of polar extremes.

On the one hand, the game is epic, the physics, the sense of occasion in each session, the way every session is it's own game, and tells it's own story, what it does well, it does better than any racing game has, ever (IMO).

On the other hand, the game is full of frustrating bugs and issues.

I forget all about that when I am trying to wrestle a Caterham around Silverstone in a wet qualifying session, or hanging on for dear life hotlapping the RUF CTR3 around Donington.

So tempted to pick up this game because I have a thing for racers and I do have a wheel that I want to get more use out of, although it is nonforce feedback. But I think I'm gonna hold out for as long as I can. Seems like there are some issues that need to be fixed.

I think DC and other games can hold me over till then. This is a must buy for me though so I looks forward to joining you all soon

ValfarHL

I have a T500rs, no matter what you do the game just isn't sending forces for things like locking wheels. The ffb is terrible and makes the game much harder.

It does to me. Have you tried the tweaks I linked a few posts up?

I am also using 60/100/100/0/0 in the control panel.
I saw someone recommend 63/100/0/0/0, but haven't had the time to try that yet.

Spookie

GAFs favourite sim racer put up a review. I've not even listened to the video yet, but looking by the description this is going to be hilariously negative.

- Weather
- FFB using his wheel (a £800 wopper), he feels, very close to GSCE.
OK:
- Physics, road cars trash, not the next big PC Sim.
- Weather isn't realistic (too easy I'm assuming?)
"Things that fall off the bus"
- Career mode as it doesn't really matter as everything is unlocked (eh?)
- No career decisions, as no imbalances between cars like in real life. Joining a shit team (Force India) in a different discipline to try and get an offer from Mercedes.
- AI: "it feels like babysitting". AI divebombing. "Feels like driving on a public server". AI is slower and stupid, lack of awareness. Believes he shouldn't be able to beat 100% AI with no track/car knowledge and safe setup.

In short: Not a good racing sim, as a racing game it's ok. "Flashes of greatness". It needs work, wait for it to go on sale. Doesn't think he'll be coming back to it in a couple of years time (ala rFactor, GSCE etc)

Azzawon

I'm 99% certain that will never get patched. It's just a different philosophy behind it (and I give SMS credit for this). It's setup to give you the feedback the road would give the steering of a real car instead of compensating for missing senses. But that must be the fourth time I've said that in this thread. As far as I have heard the FFB on PC and PS4 are just scaled up (like "Master-Scale") compared to XB1.

Check SoP settings in the car's(! not options, CAR'S!) ffb setting, turn them from 0(default) to 50 (just not damping) and you instantly got your normal forza ffb-feeling. Fine tune that after your first impression a little and your good to go. The FFB is amazing in my opinion, for both philosophies, personally I use a good mix at the moment.

I've tried playing with all the settings and the road cars just feel off. It doesn't help when the degrees of rotation vary for each car, and as you'd expect, the road cars' have a huge DoR. With the terrible force feedback I'm experiencing it makes navigating slow corners a nightmare.

If I put a decent amount of lock on something like the Renault Megane around a hairpin and then let go of the wheel coming out of the corner the wheel 'jumps' in very small steps, very slowly, back to a smaller steering angle. It's just unnatural.

Top Bottom