• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Geezez, Turbo Mode turns the game into Mahvel. I LOVE IT.

WHEN'S MAHVEL :p

Going from playing standard Brawl for days to Project M is super hard. All the characters fall like bricks, lol. And having to stand still to grab items is a pain.

Also, why don't Squirtle/Ivysaur/Charizard have Final Smashes?

too used to floaty Brawl physics, get back in the game before SSB4 comes out :p

Well the game just completely froze and made a weird clicking sound while playing Yoshi vs. Pikachu. It keeps freezing when I try to launch PM, and just gave me this screen:

ZlTI59I.jpg

I restarted the Wii again. If it doesn't work next time I'll remove and add Project M to the SD card again.

Kyne

sooooooo I finally got it to sort of boot? What would make it hit this screen, and then not do anything?

The weird thing is that I hear stuff going on in the background (as if it started) but this boot screen won't go away.

jman2050

They somehow made Samus even floatier than she was in Melee, it's ruining my timing on damn near everything I do haha. Ah well, other than that she's thoroughly unruined and I can get used to her in time. And yeah, ice >>> fire for sure.

Olimar is awesome just as he was in Vanilla. dat range.

Kyzon

My Wii's homebrewed, but I've barely done anything with that. So I copied the contents to my SD card. Brawl is in the disc slot. Went to Homebrew Channel, updated it. There's two listings for the newer Gecko version, but both take me to a "Project M" skinned screen. I pick Launch Game...

And Brawl starts.

What step am I missing?

In Gecko, go to the options and put the use codes thing to YES

That should fix it.

MetaWaddleDoo

Neo Member
Did some testing to see what actually causes the lag. From what I can gather:

-2 player matches with both players using characters with the warning symbol causes no noticeable lag (possibly none at all).
-3/4 player matches with even just one character with a warning symbol causes slight lag. Will probably not be noticed by most people.
-3/4 player matches with everyone using characters with a warning symbol seems to run with the slight lag mentioned above with the occasional lag spike.

Overall, it's not game-breaking. If you're looking for it, you'll probably be annoyed. But if you're doing 4-player matches with items on, there's probably too much chaos to notice or care anyway.

Well it works now. I wonder what happened.

Does anyone here have a guide on how to get some of the old stages back while still using Project M? I'm not a huge fan of all the Battlefield style maps, and would prefer to keep the hazards in a few levels. (Like Norfair)

Makai

Well it works now. I wonder what happened.

Does anyone here have a guide on how to get some of the old stages back while still using Project M? I'm not a huge fan of all the Battlefield style maps, and would prefer to keep the hazards in a few levels. (Like Norfair)
Just delete the Stage.pac files, and the corresponding Stage.rel files if they're there too.

Gazoinks

Is anyone else getting a lot of lag on certain levels? Skyloft is killin' me, and I also had weird issues with Delfino earlier.

DaBoss

Alt costumes, some new characters and turbo mode drop the frame rate by quite a bit with 3 or 4 players. And Olimar causes a huge slowdown. Wish it was more stable.

Unicorn

Alt costumes, some new characters and turbo mode drop the frame rate by quite a bit with 3 or 4 players. And Olimar causes a huge slowdown. Wish it was more stable.
1 v 1 is stable and that's the target scenario, so what matters is intact and they will improve the other aspects soon enough

sooooooo I finally got it to sort of boot? What would make it hit this screen, and then not do anything?

The weird thing is that I hear stuff going on in the background (as if it started) but this boot screen won't go away.

Did you put the gameconfig.txt file on the root of your SD Card?

I was going to file a bug report, but it turns out they don't want any bugs regarding Turbo, I assume that includes the item. Had a freeze on Shadow Moses, I had thrown a Waddle Dee as Dedede, and I believe was about to throw another one... froze with a buzz.

To be expected some things will go wrong, this is very impressive work. I do echo sentiments that some of the stages really were neutered down to "Battlefield with a gimmick".

Oh, not sure if it's a new thing, but if you down-taunt as Toon Link, he drinks a red potion... and it cures a little health now. Heard Ness has a secret taunt too, or maybe it was Lucas. Kind of curious what happens if you do Snake's secret taunt with Roy or Mewtwo, unless that was disabled...

Edit: Ah, Mewtwo is Mario, Roy is Fox.

Dreavus

Mewtwo plays so well. I was able to pick him up immediately despite not playing the character for quite some time (obviously).

REALLY loving all the costumes. So fucking cool all around.

They took Snake's Rocket Launcher out, and give him a shitty tranq gun. That was funny at first but now it's hurt when I had to reload.

They also changed his falling speed, nerfed his slight floatiness, and his toned down his air control.

He was such a graceful dancer... my graceful dancer... *cries in a corner*

#bringback2.6bsnake

solomon

On second thought Olimar is still God like, well against cpu's , now I need to play real people. Also not gunna lie on the low Donkey Kong is pretty fun the play, wavedashing and L cancels with him are fun.

But also is this only me or does ness meteor smash have more recovery time, because I remember in 2.6 even if I went deep I was still able to use my recovery. I ended up killing myself a few times :(

Going to play this on Dolphin, but are we at a point now where a PAL version of the hack's going to be worked on? With Roy and Mewtwo being back I think my friends would be actually be interested in playing this.

Kyzon

One of the coolest features I've noticed is if you leave the game idle for a while the music quiets until you press an input.

Also, ^^^ Link vs Y Link? Where's Young Link?

Edit: 1just did Ness' secret taunt. This is so cash.

mcmmaster

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the frame rate isn't as smooth as it was in 2.6? Playing on the Wii as well so don't mistake this for a Dolphin emulation problem

edit: never mind, just read the release info and it mentions the lag, it's down to the new model characters like roy and mewtwo as well as the alt costumes that cause the lag

this is how it looks:

I can't see any problems in the image, but if you're still determined to get it working, perhaps you can try clearing everything off of the card and then add the contents of the ZIP folder to the SD Card again. Also, if I remember correctly, make sure your SD Card isn't an SDHC Card.

Woah, I just discovered you can angle Roy's Up-B. Could you do that in melee?

Yeah, but it was quite a bit harder to control.

solomon

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the frame rate isn't as smooth as it was in 2.6? Playing on the Wii as well so don't mistake this for a Dolphin emulation problem

well 2.6 had a(pre patches) and b(post patches) the list of things that need to be fixed are being posted on smash boards as I type, so i wouldn't be surprised if we get 3.0B eventually.

Okay, I'm having a duplicatable problem. If I'm playing with two characters set to Random and have the stage set to choose random under the options, the game freezes. It doesn't happen if I manually choose Random in the stage select screen either.

Can anyone else test this out and see if it's a real problem?

Top Bottom