• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Kyzon

Go play as link.
Side taunt by pressing the button super quickly/lightly
Profit!!!

Pick Bowser
Hold R until battle starts
MASSIVE PROFIT

Pick Ness
Up taunt by pressing the button super quickly/lightly
Faint from awesome.

This mod keeps on giving.

hpkomic

Neo Member
I've not been able to get Project M to load beyond the splash screen. I have a 2gig card, I deleted all stages, got gecko to load, but when I start the game it just gets stuck on the splash screen. Any ideas?

Cody_D165

Banned
Just got done playing a solid four hour session with a friend. It was well worth the wait.

Roy and Mewtwo are phenomenal. Roy's nair is freakin' gorgeous. Mewtwo is way more fun to play than I expected. The fact that they even have final smashes just goes to show how much effort and attention to detail. PMBR puts into this mod.

Starting to pick up Ness and Lucas, their alt costumes are great. Love the extra taunt Ness has. Virtual Boy ROB is genius.

I love the simplicity of the new HUD.

Turbo mode is insane, especially turbo Sonic. For some fun friendlies, try turning on the turbo item and Smash balls on low - makes for some pretty intense matches.

and YO THAT BOWSER EASTER EGG IS SICK

ant1532

Banned
Just got done playing a solid four hour session with a friend. It was well worth the wait.

Roy and Mewtwo are phenomenal. Roy's nair is freakin' gorgeous. Mewtwo is way more fun to play than I expected. The fact that they even have final smashes just goes to show how much effort and attention to detail. PMBR puts into this mod.

Starting to pick up Ness and Lucas, their alt costumes are great. Love the extra taunt Ness has. Virtual Boy ROB is genius.

I love the simplicity of the new HUD.

Turbo mode is insane, especially turbo Sonic. For some fun friendlies, try turning on the turbo item and Smash balls on low - makes for some pretty intense matches.

and YO THAT BOWSER EASTER EGG IS SICK

whats the easter egg?? :eek:

Kokonoe

Banned
aww yeah.

mAz4GWm.png

Having a ton of fun with this so far. Still some odd things here or there that have either been changed from Brawl or just don't make any sense that irk me, but overall it plays way smoother than vanilla Brawl did and I love finally having Mewtwo back. Love the changes to Samus and Toon Link as well (besides maybe his A-air looking kinda derpy with his hyper extended leg).

Does Dolphin do online multiplayer? I'd be interested in playing against some peeps here if anybody would be interested this week.

EDIT: Oh hey Wario's new animations don't completely fuck his model anymore. Part of me still wishes it'd be possible to make his Up-B Spring Wario or somethin, but he's still my fav of the revamped characters (though I main him in regular Brawl too).

Kyzon

i have no clue what the fuck turbo mode is and playing it for a few matches didn't help me find out

Whenever you connect an attack you can immediately cancel that into another attack in that mode.

So you can do things like continuously trap someone in toon link's up b by tapping it, lol.

Dragoshi1

I still dislike how some of Charizard's ground based attacks are focused on getting characters into the air. I feel he was more powerful in vanilla Brawl.

And Yoshi is amazing, although they took out his egg toss hop.

Now I remember how useless Yoshi was in Melee when knocked too far out, getting back to the stage is a pain.

However, I love the new momentum and timing for the egg roll.

I played a bit last night, but didn't get time to try these two things

- What happens when Snake uses his codec with Roy and Mewtwo?

- Does the crowd yell "Mewtwo!" and "Roy's Our Boy" from Melee when they're dominating, or was that not possible?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I had 4 hours sessions with friends last night, and we had a lot of fun. I really enjoying the game so far. Online matches work very well with three players, but when we had four players; it became unstable occasionally depend on which models, alts, stages and characters.

I wish Snake would keep his rocket launcher because I don't really like his new gun. It's okay but most of time, it's too slow to hit other opponents.

Ivysaur's nerfs...... I'm really sad with those kind of nerfs.

Jaeger

Mewtwo is so nice. I have to sit down and just go through all the characters, mess with the Easter Eggs, see all the costumes, etc.

Then add a few alts of my own, change a few pieces of music here and there....

Bravo PMBR. This is wonderful.

Ugh, what a waste of a character slot.

We have every other character from Melee. Not adding Pichu would feel like a strange omission.

Mewtwo is so nice. I have to sit down and just go through all the characters, mess with the Easter Eggs, see all the costumes, etc.

Then add a few alts of my own, change a few pieces of music here and there....

Bravo PMBR. This is wonderful.
I really, really hope Sakurai sees this and sees an audience for adding Mewtwo (and Roy). Fans spent 4 years of painful, unintiuitive modding of a game never designed for it to bring them back.

Of my hour and a half play last night, i played Mewtwo like 75% of the time. He was one of my favorites in Melee, it just feels so right to have him back.

TDLink

We have every other character from Melee. Not adding Pichu would feel like a strange omission.

I disagree. Just because he was in Melee doesn't mean he has to come back. In fact, if the primary reason for bringing him back is "well, he was in melee" then that's just stupid. They have 5 open character slots to utilize and making Pichu one of them is an absolute waste.

If you could add 5 more Nintendo characters to Project M, would Pichu really be on the top of the list? Heck, even if all 5 were Pokemon I don't think anyone would choose Pichu first.

If they want to put Pichu in it should just be a Pikachu alt costume, if anything.

I don't really want to see any new character that wasn't in a previous Smash. It just feels weird to me. Like it crosses the line from fun fan made balance DLC into fan game territory.

I wouldn't mind them releasing the source code and letting fans go wild making characters, but I don't know if I want Project M themselves to do it.

TDLink

I don't really want to see any new character that wasn't in a previous Smash. It just feels weird to me. Like it crosses the line from fun fan made balance DLC into fan game territory.

I wouldn't mind them releasing the source code and letting fans go wild making characters, but I don't know if I want Project M themselves to do it.

They already said they were going to though, so with that in mind Pichu is a waste. Plus if they can make them at a quality level consistent with everything they have done so far there isn't anything wrong with it. This is already more than "balance DLC". Many of the characters are barely like their previous incarnations. Ivysaur for example.

Unicorn

They have MORE than proven they are capable.

Berordn

So some of the music that Project M replaced isn't working for me, and ends up being a hideous amalgam of several tracks. It's kind of unsettling. Anyone else have this?

They have MORE than proven they are capable.

They've proven themselves capable of tweaking and reintroducing pre-existing characters, but I don't know if I'd care to see a new character from them. The changes they made to Charizard and Wario make them less appealing in my eyes, and some of the mechanics they introduced (like Lucario's aura system) are just crazy unintuitive and not at all what I expect from a Smash experience.

Of course that's entirely subjective, since I'm sure someone is going to immediately disagree with me after I hit submit. They're probably going to add a character based on one or more of the assist trophies anyway, so I guess we just gotta wait.

On a similar tangent, I do love Mewtwo and every change they made to adapt him to the new environment, so my fears may be largely unfounded.

Makai

Roy's spike is so strong. Hit DeDeDe with it at less than 20% and he didn't make it back to the stage despite getting his upB off in time.

Unicorn

You need to spend more time with charizard then. He's lightyears improved if you learn his new tech. Siesmic toss as a throw, neutral-air coverage (well, almost all his aerials), and he's even good on the ground.

The changes they have done have only opened more doors for characters, it's just a matter of playing with them more.

Jaeger

I really, really hope Sakurai sees this and sees an audience for adding Mewtwo (and Roy). Fans spent 4 years of painful, unintiuitive modding of a game never designed for it to bring them back.

Of my hour and a half play last night, i played Mewtwo like 75% of the time. He was one of my favorites in Melee, it just feels so right to have him back.

Agreed. Mewtwo is still by far my favorite Pokemon, and still one of my favorite characters to play as in Melee (and now Brawl thanks to PMBR).

I love the way he was handled, to. He's not quite as heavy as his Melee counterpart, his attacks are more meaty/effective (dat tailwhip)... His recovery is definitely top tier.

And speaking of Pokemon, I'd like to see some more obscure or interesting Pokemon. Maybe another Legendary. Or a Ghost type. That would be cool. But, even with that I wanna see those last slots in PM be for lesser represented series, or something entirely new from Nintendo's stable (that hasn't been anounced for Smash 4 of course).

I'm just as interested in more new alts too, although they said space is limited (for the time being).

Revven

So some of the music that Project M replaced isn't working for me, and ends up being a hideous amalgam of several tracks. It's kind of unsettling. Anyone else have this?

Right click on your SD Card and click "Defrag". That should fix the music issues you're having.

Okay, I'm having a duplicatable problem. If I'm playing with two characters set to Random and have the stage set to choose random under the options, the game freezes. It doesn't happen if I manually choose Random in the stage select screen either.

Can anyone else test this out and see if it's a real problem?

There are issues with choosing other options for how stages are selected -- choosing Random for a character doesn't matter. It's one of those freezes that's a little peculiar and something the team haven't addressed yet. It's been around since forever, basically.

Agreed. Mewtwo is still by far my favorite Pokemon, and still one of my favorite characters to play as in Melee (and now Brawl thanks to PMBR).

I love the way he was handled, to. He's not quite as heavy as his Melee counterpart, his attacks are more meaty/effective (dat tailwhip)... His recovery is definitely top tier.

And speaking of Pokemon, I'd like to see some more obscure or interesting Pokemon. Maybe another Legendary. Or a Ghost type. That would be cool. But, even with that I wanna see those last slots in PM be for lesser represented series, or something entirely new from Nintendo's stable (that hasn't been anounced for Smash 4 of course).

I'm just as interested in more new alts too, although they said space is limited (for the time being).
I would shit myself if they put a good Gengar in this shit.

Was interested until I saw no Pichu. If they can mod all those things, they can give Pichu unique abilities. Flip his damage decay and make it "poison" other characters or something.

Jaeger

I would shit myself if they put a good Gengar in this shit.

Indeed. Gengar is that dat dude.

I would like to see some of the dropped concepts make it into PM eventually. Like how Ditto would have come out a Pokeball, cloned a player, and he goes ballistic alll over the place for a sec.

I'd also like to learn modeling and the what not myself, so I can do a few things (like remake Saffron City from the N64 with new Pokemon and updated graphics....).

TDLink

Was interested until I saw no Pichu. If they can mod all those things, they can give Pichu unique abilities. Flip his damage decay and make it "poison" other characters or something.

Why put the effort into making Pichu a completely different character when they could instead use a much better character? This is what I don't get.

If Pichu is going to be the same as Melee it's pointless because he's just weaker/joke Pikachu and a total waste of a slot.

If they retain his moves but make him "better" then it is just redundant because Pikachu already exists.

If they change his moves up it would have been better to just use a different character at that point because he wouldn't even still be Pichu and there are better options.

Top Bottom