• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Jaeger

Why put the effort into making Pichu a completely different character when they could instead use a much better character? This is what I don't get.

If Pichu is going to be the same as Melee it's pointless because he's just weaker/joke Pikachu and a total waste of a slot.

If they retain his moves but make him "better" then it is just redundant because Pikachu already exists.

If they change his moves up it would have been better to just use a different character at that point because he wouldn't even still be Pichu and there are better options.

I agree with you, sir. If anything, he would serve better as a skin. Since PMBR is capable of changing voice and sound effects for alts, then that would be perfect for Pichu. He could get slightly altered special effects and sounds ala Doc Mario, and satisfy those who it in there.

NEO0MJ

They have MORE than proven they are capable.

If they feel so strongly about creating new characters then they should make their own game, because like you said they proved themselves more than capable. We're already dangerously close to mugen territory, I mean I already consider the changes made to some characters to be excessive. No other fighter in history had such a big movement by fans to "fix" things. I appreciate the changes to the main fighting engine but the other stuff is a bit much.

Why put the effort into making Pichu a completely different character when they could instead use a much better character? This is what I don't get.

If Pichu is going to be the same as Melee it's pointless because he's just weaker/joke Pikachu and a total waste of a slot.

If they retain his moves but make him "better" then it is just redundant because Pikachu already exists.

If they change his moves up it would have been better to just use a different character at that point because he wouldn't even still be Pichu and there are better options.

Pichu was fun to troll with because of his handicaps, that's why.

Seriously though, I'd like to see a Plusle-Minun duo or something else along those lines.

Jaeger

If they feel so strongly about creating new characters then they should make their own game, because like you said they proved themselves more than capable. We're already dangerously close to mugen territory, I mean I already consider the changes made to some characters to be excessive. No other fighter in history had such a big movement by fans to "fix" things. I appreciate the changes to the main fighting engine but the other stuff is a bit much.

It's a windfall. You change the engine, the characters within it are effected. Left alone, the game would be broken and unplayable competitively (as is Brawl to begin with).

And by "MUGEN territory" do you mean what someone does with their own personal copy of the MUGEN engine? Because by itself, it's just an engine with Kung Fu Man.

NEO0MJ

It's a windfall. You change the engine, the characters within it are effected. Left alone, the game would be broken and unplayable competitively (as is Brawl to begin with).

And by "MUGEN territory" do you mean what someone does with their own personal copy of the MUGEN engine? Because by itself, it's just an engine with Kung Fu Man.

They didn't have to do such an extreme change to some characters, especially Wario.
And by mugen territory, I meant that the game stops being a modified smash and instead becomes a fan-made game where you add whatever character you want and change existing character however you like. There are already existing versions of brawl like that right now.

I think he was talking more about stuff like Lucas and Ivysaur being kind of weird and not stuff like any other character with only minor tweaks to fit the engine or cosmetic animations (like Toon Link, Sonic or Wolf)

Ivysaur uses a modified taunt animation to charge sunlight and Lucas lacks voice lines for two of his specials. Stuff like that draws the game away from professionalism, that otherwise the entire mod has.

Most of the mod was developed within the realm of stuff Nintendo would actually do. But there's a few things that take you out of that mindset and into a fangame mindset and that hurts the mod a bit.

Dragoshi1

I don't think I'm using Mewtwo right.

It seems that a lot of his attacks are too close ranged, or take a bit long to pull off. I was fighting Roy, and Roy's sword swings were a LOT faster than Mewtwo's moves.

And how do we do the Bowser Easter Egg on a Classic Controller Pro?

Chairhome

Dumb question: I got to the Gecko OS screen last night and couldn't navigate it to load the game. do you just use a controller? It wouldn't read my controller input (not sure if having a CC attached to it made any difference), but i tried navigating using the power button... (i remember using the system buttons on a homebrew wii for some stuff)...that didn't work, haha. Using a wii u.

Unicorn

Because people play smash for the Nintendo characters. If you look at games like Air Dash in the works, there's little to no hype because no one gives a shit about the characters. Here, they have a rock solid base for gameplay and a pool of Nintendo characters they can bring to the table and fit right in with the existing framework. If we'll ever see a playable Ridley, PM is probably the only chance we'll get (LOL). Anyway, this is so far removed from Mugen in terms of quality and balance that it's akin to comparing apples to dead fish.
Everything they're doing has a cohesive logic behind every change and enhancement to every character. Making a more Wario Land Wario, to me, was a great choice since most people within the demographic of competitive smash have more memories of that Wario than Warioware. He still has silly things, but he's also a competent opponent now too. The cohesiveness of their pipeline is what sets this project astronomically above any other attempt. This is the most balanced Smash meta with the most characters while also providing hope that things will only get better as patching is possible.

Draft

People can play this online?

Console games can be modded? This is amazing. And on a Nintendo platform. Just wow.

Jaeger

They didn't have to do such an extreme change to some characters, especially Wario.
And by mugen territory, I meant that the game stops being a modified smash and instead becomes a fan-made game where you add whatever character you want and change existing character however you like. There are already existing versions of brawl like that right now.

Personally. I love all the little changes. I prefer a Wario who resembles himself from his various game appearances, and not the biker weirdo we ended up with. PMBR is just doing what alot of us in the fanbase wish Nintendo had did, themselves. And with a professional touch, too boot. The fact that Brawl is modded in and of itself makes it a fan-made game, no matter how little or not other aspects of the game are changed.

Another example; I hated PKMN Trainer, myself. I love how they are three seperate (and very effective) characters, now. But I understand what you are saying.

I don't think I'm using Mewtwo right.

It seems that a lot of his attacks are too close ranged, or take a bit long to pull off. I was fighting Roy, and Roy's sword swings were a LOT faster than Mewtwo's moves.

You can't play him like Roy, or most of the other characters. He's about mind games, set ups and pressure. Also, Mewtwo can kill/K.O. easily with his Up-Throw, and Back-Throw to more than half the cast.

Played this morning, really good. Don't think Pichu is a good addition, he was the joke character in Melee, and the slot can just go to someone deserving.

TDLink

Completely disagree. No one would pay attention to "their own game". The appeal is that this is Smash Bros and it has Nintendo characters. Moreover, almost all of the changes they made are, imo, good.

I think he was talking more about stuff like Lucas and Ivysaur being kind of weird and not stuff like any other character with only minor tweaks to fit the engine or cosmetic animations (like Toon Link, Sonic or Wolf)

Ivysaur uses a modified taunt animation to charge sunlight and Lucas lacks voice lines for two of his specials. Stuff like that draws the game away from professionalism, that otherwise the entire mod has.

Most of the mod was developed within the realm of stuff Nintendo would actually do. But there's a few things that take you out of that mindset and into a fangame mindset and that hurts the mod a bit.

Ivysaur and Lucas are two of my favourite characters in Project M exactly due to this. Who cares if it is a "fangame mindset"? This is a fan mod. We know this isn't Nintendo making it, this is a version of Smash made by fans containing ideas from fans. There are no illusions about what it is. And many of these ideas are great. There is nothing wrong at all with Ivysaur's synthesis animation either/

Again, I disagree. The Wario changes are great. The biker Wario is a spin-off Wario in the first place. This is the original Wario land Wario, which is much more iconic and overall works better in Smash. There is nothing wrong with what they have done with him and the shoulder rush feels right.

They've already basically made their own characters by heavily modifying some, plus bringing back Mewtwo/Roy.

Pichu was fun to troll with because of his handicaps, that's why.

Seriously though, I'd like to see a Plusle-Minun duo or something else along those lines.

This would be even worse. Instead of wasting one slot with Pichu we can waste two for Plusle and Minun! Oh boy...

If they want a joke character there are better options than Pichu.

Jaeger

For those of you interested in adopting Mewtwo as a main, here are some of my strategies;

His neutral A seems to have a slight slight vacuum effect.
His tail attacks (various A) have alot of range.
His forward tilt A has tremendous knockback (they fly upwards upon hit, and I think it can be sweetspotted).
His Shadow Ball is quick, and has good knockback.
His down down A spikes like Cap Falcon's, etc. Great for edge guarding, with his ability to recover better than most.

I use his teleport B to control the field, and stay away from short ranged attacks. It's hard to tag him when you can disappear very safely, and you can now attack out of the teleport, too.

I pressure with Shadow Balls, and tons of tail attacks. His neutral A is great, too.
Build up damage to about 120% give or take (depending on the ceiling) and toss them out with his very effective grabs.

Watch vids of Taj and Mew2king, aswell. They have the best Mewtwo's around (Melee and PM 3.0 vids are out there).

Taj - Shadowclaw
Mew2king pwning

Anbec7

Where are the gameplay videos?

Also a question!

One of my friends wants to play this.

Basically he needs and SD the card, the "nohomebrew.zip"
Extract all those files in the SD card and then go to the game in his wii and run the stage builder without any saved stages correct?

Will this work with a 1GB SD card?
do it have to be exactly a 2GB SD card?
Are there specifics SD cards that may not work?
What about a mini SD card with an adapter would those work too?

Thanks.

Jaeger

Where are the gameplay videos?

Also a question!

One of my friends wants to play this.

Basically he needs and SD the card, the "nohomebrew.zip"
Extract all those files in the SD card and then go to the game in his wii and run the stage builder without any saved stages correct?

Will this work with a 1GB SD card?
do it have to be exactly a 2GB SD card?
Are there specifics SD cards that may not work?
What about a mini SD card with an adapter would those work too?

Thanks.

Needs to be a 2 GB now, because it's slightly bigger than 1 GB (although 2.6b would fit on a 1 GB).
I don't know if a mini SD + adapter would work.
You are correct on the above. Just slap it all onto the SD Card, make sure there is no stages on your save data, and go into the Stage Builder and it will boot up on its own.

GamerSoul

From the the little I played of it yesterday I am really impressed with the game. It will definitely make the wait for Smash 4 easier. Turbo mode at first glance looks easy but damn it is challenging because I'm not use to canceling mid attack into some combo ever lol. It is fun as heck though and is basically a whole new way to play.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Needs to be a 2 GB now, because it's slightly bigger than 1 GB (although 2.6b would fit on a 1 GB).
I don't know if a mini SD + adapter would work.
You are correct on the above. Just slap it all onto the SD Card, make sure there is no stages on your save data, and go into the Stage Builder and it will boot up on its own.

Wait what? 3.0 is 500ish MB

Anbec7

Great, thanks for all the replies guys!

Now I just wonder when is the Junior member thing going away? I've been in this forums for some months now xD

Geedorah

Now I just wonder when is the Junior member thing going away? I've been in this forums for some months now xD

Believe I read that you need to be registered for at least 90 days, and have like 300 forum posts.

Anteo

ijnI41jTayOcP.gif

Ivysaur and Lucas are two of my favourite characters in Project M exactly due to this. Who cares if it is a "fangame mindset"? This is a fan mod. We know this isn't Nintendo making it, this is a version of Smash made by fans containing ideas from fans. There are no illusions about what it is. And many of these ideas are great. There is nothing wrong at all with Ivysaur's synthesis animation either/

When I download a mod, I usually prefer those that blend seamlessly with the base game and feel like, barring minor things out of the mod's control, that the original game could have had it as content.

In 90% of the cases, Project M blends flawlessly with base Brawl and feels incredibly professional. And then there's stuff like re-used animations, a lack of sound effects, and other minor things that kind of take the blend out.

And I disagree about the illusion. I want it to be an illusion. To me a good mod can be an illusion of proper content. You look at some of the best mods ever made for games, and they all have an illusion of a proper product. If they didn't, some wouldn't be picked up as proper products (Team Fortress, Black Mesa, Counter Strike, and so on) and others wouldn't be considered basically their own expansion packs and recommended as must haves to enjoy the game (Archaeologist's guild for Oblivion for example)

I know this seems like I have a negative opinion of Project M, but I really don't. I love it, I just think there's a few things they could have done better or omitted.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
has anyone had any success running this on dolphin 4.0? i keep getting no sd card found errors

TDLink

When I download a mod, I usually prefer those that blend seamlessly with the base game and feel like, barring minor things out of the mod's control, that the original game could have had it as content.

In 90% of the cases, Project M blends flawlessly with base Brawl and feels incredibly professional. And then there's stuff like re-used animations, a lack of sound effects, and other minor things that kind of take the blend out.

And I disagree about the illusion. I want it to be an illusion. To me a good mod can be an illusion of proper content. You look at some of the best mods ever made for games, and they all have an illusion of a proper product. If they didn't, some wouldn't be picked up as proper products (Team Fortress, Black Mesa, Counter Strike, and so on) and others wouldn't be considered basically their own expansion packs and recommended as must haves to enjoy the game (Archaeologist's guild for Oblivion for example)

I know this seems like I have a negative opinion of Project M, but I really don't. I love it, I just think there's a few things they could have done better or omitted.

Your argument is flawed because you are saying things like Ivysaur's synthesis isn't at the same quality level of the rest of the mod due to it being an altered taunt animation. Who cares? Honestly I never even noticed that before you pointed it out.

Your other example is Lucas is missing some sound effects on specials. That can be easily fixed, and they probably will fix it. But even if they don't it's such a minor thing, and the main point is Lucas' new moveset with the Offense Up ability if awesome and really fun. The differentiation between him and Ness that it being there creates is very welcomed.

NEO0MJ

Is it just me or does the game look worse than regular Brawl for some reason?

Completely disagree. No one would pay attention to "their own game". The appeal is that this is Smash Bros and it has Nintendo characters. Moreover, almost all of the changes they made are, imo, good.

I can understand why you like it. But for me one of the reasons I was interested in this when it was first announced was that I thought it was just gonna fix Brawl, not do any changes to it. That's all I ever wanted, really. Gonna show it to my friends this weekend and see what they think of it.

Jaeger

It's the same. Specifically, some of the new menu graphics and profile images for Alts looks bad. I'm sure that's another easy fix, and is not of major concern at this moment.

I can understand why you like it. But for me one of the reasons I was interested in this when it was first announced was that I thought it was just gonna fix Brawl, not do any changes to it. That's all I ever wanted, really. Gonna show it to my friends this weekend and see what they think of it.

Fixing Brawl is making changes to it. As I said earlier, you can't completely alter the engine/environment without making changes to the characters. And the goal of this mod was not to simply "fix Brawl", but to make a more competitive and balanced version of Brawl with gameplay that harks back to Melee's. Which goes beyond making minor changes and extended into movelist changes to help make each character balanced and competitive.

Maybe how each character was changed won't jive with everyone, but we weren't on the team, so that's another convo altogether really.

The Lamp

Truly fixing Brawl required a lot of changes including editing movesets. Pit for example was broken as hell.

Top Bottom