• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Tan

I didn't even know I wanted Mewtwo this much. He's a ton of fun, especially once you get the hang of his hover.

Dreavus

Played some casual 1v1's today for a bit, and fun was had all around. Two new characters and all the costumes is just ace, not that it needs saying again.

So, if I'm European and I don't have a NTSC copy of Brawl I can't taste a bit of this awesomeness?
I don't speak for the PM devs, but I believe that is correct. IIRC, the reasoning is that converting all the codes used to modify the game to the PAL format is a lot of work and they're refraining from doing so until they a "final" or "gold" build, or else they'd have to convert the codes to PAL for every version they release.

wwm0nkey

LOVING this so far also Roy looks great!

jH37NK5pEcYfK.png

How are you guys able to play this online?? I'm using Dolphin 4.2, I followed the network guide to the T and no dice. I get error 20100 when I try to connect.

Caladrius

How do I go about doing that? I found the folder with all the stages, but I imagine I don't just delete the contents.

That's exactly what you do. (Though if you want to keep some stages, open up the files in Brawlbox to see which is which and delete accordingly)

Keep in mind that you won't be able to use Project M wi-fi if you remove them.

Syril

I remember hearing that's what you actually do. Not entirely sure though.

That's exactly what you do. (Though if you want to keep some stages, open up the files in Brawlbox to see which is which and delete accordingly)

Keep in mind that you won't be able to use Project M wi-fi if you remove them.

That didn't work completely. The stage select still lists all the Project M stages, and while the altered stages were restored back to their Brawl versions, some of the ones that were replaced entirely are just a black area (Example: when I pick Fountain of Dreams, it loads Mario Bros, but all the stage graphics are missing).

EDIT: Actually, that's not right. It doesn't seem to load the stage properly at all, just a flat plain with no graphics or hazards. Am I supposed to delete the "melee" folder in the stage folder too?

Revven

That didn't work completely. The stage select still lists all the Project M stages, and while the altered stages were restored back to their Brawl versions, some of the ones that were replaced entirely are just a black area (Example: when I pick Fountain of Dreams, it loads Mario Bros, but all the stage graphics are missing).

EDIT: Actually, that's not right. It doesn't seem to load the stage properly at all, just a flat plain with no graphics or hazards. Am I supposed to delete the "melee" folder in the stage folder too?

You're also supposed to delete the corresponding stages' modules in the module folder (they are the file type ".rel").

KHlover

Banned

Most likely caused by the .rel files used by the stages. Located in pf/module, but I wouldn't delete them if I had no idea which stage corresponds with which name

After a few days of Project M, I can't even remember what normal Brawl was like. My previous concerns about the characters being too heavy is completely gone. I don't even notice it anymore... everything just feels normal and so right.

After a few days of Project M, I can't even remember what normal Brawl was like. My previous concerns about the characters being too heavy is completely gone. I don't even notice it anymore... everything just feels normal and so right.

see, I TOLD you it would just take some time to get rid of Brawl floatiness feeling "normal"! :p

shaowebb

I dont know in what build Ness's electric spark got the hit box on its spark trail or whether the air fire thing is new, but GOD DAMN do they make him an aerial monster. Jump up, pass electric under you and watch them fail to up smash your descent. Jump in, shoot fire, continue forward momentum behind fire trail. Friggin pressure from heaven.

Play some Ness folks. Dude got some game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Weve been playing it at the office today, its not bad! I dont think its better than Melee or Brawl, but its a good distraction.

Biggest issues are some of the balancing changes, done seemingly at random, some moveset changes that we dont like/understand and weve noticed some input lag (without the alt costumes)

Shimesaba

Biggest issues are some of the balancing changes, done seemingly at random, some moveset changes that we dont like/understand and weve noticed some input lag (without the alt costumes)

None of the balancing is done at random, they debate (and playtest) pretty extensively. They do throw some ideas in with the mentality that they may need to be changed in later versions, though.

You probably shouldn't be getting input lag without the alt costumes... What kind of TV are you playing it on?

Anbec7

I think there was an issue with lag with the alternate costumes?
If I remember correctly if you play with 3-4 players with alternate costumes it will lag, and they are currently looking into it.

Edit:Junior member no more!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
None of the balancing is done at random, they debate (and playtest) pretty extensively. They do throw some ideas in with the mentality that they may need to be changed in later versions, though.

You probably shouldn't be getting input lag without the alt costumes... What kind of TV are you playing it on?

CRT!

None of the balancing is done at random, they debate (and playtest) pretty extensively.

Yeah, I know, Nintendo does the same thing. Doesnt mean theyre good ideas or well implemented though.

Raging Spaniard

I'm sure the PM devs that browse and post here would be interested to know which ideas you took issue with?

I'd be interested to know just for the sake of discussion.

Id have to take notes, but Im a Lucas player and I feel like a lot of his normals have been altered or nerfed, dunno wtf is going on with my neutral b either.

Our best players here main Kirby and Luigi and they both felt like the changes will take getting used to. The Kirby player thought Kirby wnet back to Melee Kirby (not a good thing) and the Luigi player thought it as harder to move around than it previously was.

Not a fan of the Socom gun for Snake either, I liked the missile mindgames.

DanteFox

Weve been playing it at the office today, its not bad! I dont think its better than Melee or Brawl, but its a good distraction.

It's infinitely better than brawl.

Raging Spaniard

well it would be nice if you explained what you felt was weird instead of just saying "I don't like some of the changes"

Guess my missed my post right before the one you quoted? Those were my first impressions, didn't know I was supposed to write an essay.

It's infinitely better than brawl.

Yes, sure, INFINITE. Okay.

Top Bottom