• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Dreavus

Turbo mode is amazing, my god.

Though actually playing it has made me appreciate those Turbo Tuesday videos a lot more. It's damn tricky to do actual long combos using the cancels you gain access to.

qq more

Is there any way to modify Project M so that:

Default Stock = 3
Default Hurting Team Mates Off
Default Percentages On (health)

I want to know this as well. It's annoying the daylights out of me that I have to constantly mess with the options every time I want to fight online.

Making smash "unique" by removing the execution barriers? The ones in Melee that enabled depth of play which are the key to Melee's decade of dedicated fans and longevity due to depth of play? Thats what Brawl got rid of, and I don't agree that to make smash "unique" is a solution if it means developing it with the same concepts in mind that were in Brawl's development.

to quote cmart (edited to match the issue of l-cancel):
It's essentially the difference between manual and auto l-canceling. If you wish to have a certain effect happen, you must actively input the cause. Giving the player a task and rewarding them for accomplishing it are not strange concepts. It feels good to l-cancel and reduce landing lag because of something you did, rather than the game doing it for you. Brawl didn't reward you for doing anything. Melee punished you for not paying attention to your positioning and momentum. You can argue that all players will learn to l-cancel, and nothing will change and so it should be automatic. I don't agree with either stance - I think there's some intrinsic value in there being execution barriers for a game - otherwise what's the point in practice? What's the reward for dedication? And if you do screw up, that's a sign that maybe you're not putting in enough effort, and an encouragement to get better.

if you think L-Canceling made Melee unique and makes the game technical, I've got news for you

hao chi

Finally had the time to install 3.0 and play it last night. I'm thrilled Samus is finally in the game, and I'm looking forward to messing around with her some more and finding the benefits and drawbacks of her new weapon types.

I'm still salty over Link's boomerang change from 2.6 though. I've been maining Link since the N64 days, and I always enjoyed how the boomerang can be used to annoy opponents at longer ranges. I might mess around with the files today and try to revert his boomerang back to 2.5.

Overall though, great job with this mod. Also, I'd have to double check since I only used Link a bit last night, but I don't remember Link's boomerang throwing animation looking off like it did in 2.6 either, so if that was also changed, kudos on that.

DedValve

Banned
YES! I managed to get it working!

Project M on my mac in smooth 60 FPS with pretty great graphics (so long as I stick with 2 fighters on the non crazy stages).

Now to see if I can install more custom skins on this bad boy. Either way I'm super pleased.

Time to practice with Ivysaur.

Shimesaba

I'm still salty over Link's boomerang change from 2.6 though. I've been maining Link since the N64 days, and I always enjoyed how the boomerang can be used to annoy opponents at longer ranges. I might mess around with the files today and try to revert his boomerang back to 2.5.

I think it's generally agreed on that the 2.6 boomerang change is a buff overall... I'd recommend sticking with the 3.0 version. Link still has the bow and bombs for harassing too.

1upmuffin

Just wanted to say that I really really like Project M 3.0 and really like most of the changes they've made. Also, I'm glad they brought Peach's Castle back, it was a fun stage.

Also, I have never truly given Yoshi a chance in Smash Bros until PM 3.0 but the changes they made to him make him an enjoyable character to play.

I think for the time being the PMBR's directive is to get project m to feel just like melee so a mechanics change isn't coming in the near future. But I would love to see L-canceling kept, but for three frames that your character flashes white, if you get hit you take extra damage and knock back. L-canceling keeps its almost universal utility but adds a little element of risk and timing so that it becomes a mechanic with a little depth rather than being a rote law that you should always L-cancel on landing.

MetaWaddleDoo

Neo Member
I think for the time being the PMBR's directive is to get project m to feel just like melee so a mechanics change isn't coming in the near future. But I would love to see L-canceling kept, but for three frames that your character flashes white, if you get hit you take extra damage and knock back. L-canceling keeps its almost universal utility but adds a little element of risk and timing so that it becomes a mechanic with a little depth rather than being a rote law that you should always L-cancel on landing.

That wouldn't add any depth at all. Just confusion. There's nothing broken about L-Canceling at all, and a change like this would essentially make the damage/knock back feel random. Since players would only have 3-6 frames to react, plus the start up frames for most attacks, there wouldn't really way to punish L-Canceling outside of guessing and luck.

Skittles

Play on turbo mode with mega size on, turn mushrooms on high, have both players pick giga bowser, go to training room, then enjoy having an epic Godzilla-esque battle on crack

Unicorn

I don't see the point of making Lucario fight like a shotoclone. His fighting style was never about uppercuts or tornado kicks.
Well, he's the only shoto, so that's cool. All his stuff links well. I agree the tornado kick is ill-fitting but the rest makes sense for his fighting/steel type.

Jaeger

I still think mewtwo should have a new downB

Yeah, is there a good use for his down B? Because it seems pretty useless.

I'm actually finding that to be pretty useful, surprising my foe with that move now. It seems to have a greater usability now in PM than it did in Melee.

I don't see the point of making Lucario fight like a shotoclone. His fighting style was never about uppercuts or tornado kicks.

It's not out of character though. He is a fighting Pokemon after all.

GamerSoul

I loving the little changes to the characters. Toon Link is great, DK, Roy is so solid, Wolf, Bowser (is too good), Samus (That Ice), almost all of them are fun to use. I've been trying to use Mewtwo but I can't beat my brother wit him yet. lol

After playing a lot of Wario in Project M, I will be forever sad that no official Smash Bros. release will compare to his greatness. Almost all of his moves are improved from vanilla Brawl, and they're much more iconic. Wario Land represent!

Gonna go out on a limb and say that's really the only change I'm not a fan of. I would have preferred a refinement of Brawl's moveset, or something more imaginative that still fit in with the rest of Smash's established mechanics. Just feels so out of place.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Link what are you doing.

6AtlONg.jpg

Alfredo

Finally got to play Project M with humans tonight. Had a lot of fun! ...even though some of my friends don't understand why some things were changed from vanilla Brawl (they complaining about it being harder to grab ledges and for some reason think Snake's tranquilizer gun is too cheap...whatever, I'm still gonna keep using it!)

Jaeger

Finally got to play Project M with humans tonight. Had a lot of fun! ...even though some of my friends don't understand why some things were changed from vanilla Brawl (they complaining about it being harder to grab ledges and for some reason think Snake's tranquilizer gun is too cheap...whatever, I'm still gonna keep using it!)

The harder ledge grabbing is from Melee. You can only ledge grab if your character is facing towards it, and not the magical grabbing of Brawl. Some moves like Captain Falcon's Up + B can of course turn you around, so use your movement wisely.

And Snake's Tranq Gun is no more cheap than Mewtwo's Disable, IMO.

Gazoinks

I am official champion of Squirtle suicides. I've killed myself like three times for every time the CPU has.

EDIT: Actually it might be more like 4 or 5. -_- Started a match and immediately SideB'd off the edge.

SmithnCo

I am official champion of Squirtle suicides. I've killed myself like three times for every time the CPU has.

EDIT: Actually it might be more like 4 or 5. -_- Started a match and immediately SideB'd off the edge.

Yeah, Squirtle is slippery as hell in this.

Got two vids this time.

1st is Sonic vs Roy Turbo. This vid is NOT a full presentation of how INSANE Sonic is in Turbo mode. Pick a fight in the Online Training stage. He's all over the place crazy. Down B is spam-tacular.

Link

2nd is Lucario vs Samus Turbo in with Slow mo turned on. It was only after recording this vid and slowing it down in MPC did I realize the insane stuff I was pulling off without even realizing it.

Link

Alfredo

The harder ledge grabbing is from Melee. You can only ledge grab if your character is facing towards it, and not the magical grabbing of Brawl. Some moves like Captain Falcon's Up + B can of course turn you around, so use your movement wisely.

And Snake's Tranq Gun is no more cheap than Mewtwo's Disable, IMO.

Yeah, my friends are just a bunch of whiners, lol. I sort of trust PMBR's judgment when it comes to character balance.

narton

Are there any huge differences in the wifi homebrew build of this game versus the offline one? And how do you go about playing with project mp layers, I assume you'd have to add them so you don't play with vanilla?

Gonna try this out when I get home, I bought a 2GB SD card late last night.

Man, the shitty little thing was write protected even though it was not at the "LOCK" setting. It ended up being my computer, I was able to transfer the files using a laptop.

I can't wait!

I do have a question, though: How noticeable is the lag involved with playing with four players? My little sister and I usually play Brawl with two other CPU controlled characters so this affects us.

wwm0nkey

Holy hell, this mod is amazing. I don't think i can go back to vanilla Brawl now, for real.
Agreed, I liked Brawl but gave it up /pretty/ quickly...

This? Play it at minimum 2 hours a day(only have like 8 hours free time for 6/7 days), its amazing.

Also rock solid 60fps at 3x resolution is godlike!

Drencrom

Gonna try this out when I get home, I bought a 2GB SD card late last night.

Man, the shitty little thing was write protected even though it was not at the "LOCK" setting. It ended up being my computer, I was able to transfer the files using a laptop.

I can't wait!

I do have a question, though: How noticeable is the lag involved with playing with four players? My little sister and I usually play Brawl with two other CPU controlled characters so this affects us.

There's no lag as long as you don't play with more than two characters with a warning icon (that is; Mewtwo, Roy or characters that have a special costume selected).

You can see the icon on Falco's special costume here.

Top Bottom