• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

TheOGB

Banned
Submit

G&W owns your shit

(I actually looked on Youtube and Smashboards for something, but couldn't find anything. I assumed you put more effort into searching than I did :p)

Does anyone know what Snake's best stage is? I am trying to pick up Snake, and I am about to buy a Wii so that I can actually own this instead of just playing it all the time with my friends.

As such, I am excited for my own custom music, and I plan to put the Metal Gear Solid 2 Theme (Skateboarding Remix) into Project M, I just need to pick a stage. Shadow Moses fits as its actually from MGS, but its a meh stage IMO.

TreIII

I hope they're making good progress with the JP-NTSC version. I'd rather just install the newest version on my JP Wii U and keep it moving. Not to mention I don't feel like buying a replacement American Brawl disc.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've actually been playing again, I've also been getting a lot of Brawl Vault Melee texture mods for characters for Project M to make it look better.

I am so in love with Project M Samus right now. The ice power ups are magnificent. All I need is a good UAM 1 (Fusion Suit Max upgraded) texture skin and I'll main the shit out of her.

Unicorn

So, Olimar is who I've been waiting for since first hearing about PM a couple years ago and having put a decent amount of time in with him, here are the biggest issues I've found thus far - mainly glitches with pikmin behavior:

- Sometimes the pikmin will get knocked away and one of three things will happen:
-- 1. They will either die or return to the line like they should
-- 2. They will not return on their own and will require a whistle blow. As in, they aren't on screen - I'm aware that sometimes pikmin get out of line and are then vulnerable to attack, that was in Brawl and expected - but this is different. What I gather is that somehow they are ending up outside the stage "bounds" or the square area around the play area that would kill you if you left it (walls, bottomless floor, ceiling). The pikmin that end up in this Twilight Zone will fall into one of two categories. The most common is that they are just caught up there in space, waiting for a guiding whistle blow and will finally zip back down into line. the other one is part three of this.
-- 3. Sometimes when the pikmin disappear, they have truly fallen into the Twilight Zone and can no longer return. There's been a handful of times that I've had 3 pikmin and neutral B will result in an empty-handed pull and a whistle blow (countless) will be fruitless and I'll be gimped with 3 pikmin for an ungodly amount of time (like 30 seconds or so). Sometimes they will magically reappear in the line; other times they'll decide to die off screen (with the appropriate death scream) and I can pluck another from the ground.

- The whip can be wonky:
-- It's apparent the whip can most reliable be depended on when I am under and away from the stage, but that isn't 100%. There's been a few times where I've seen the tip pikmin hit the corner of the stage, slam against it, buckle and rise above it - clearly long enough to grab the ledge and pull me to safety.
-- Sometimes, when above the stage, I'll whip to it and there will be some wonky physics going on. One time this resulted in me sort of hovering above the ledge, still tethered but absolutely vulnerable to getting attacked lol.

- The whistle improperly cycles pikmin sometimes. I try to pay attention to my pikmin lineup and rearrange while planning for attacks. throwing out attacks, even ones that get interrupted, that involve pikmin cycles through the lineup, but so does the whistle blow. I can't rely on it to cycle through the lineup to plan my attacks. Sometimes it works, but a lot of times it either scrambles the order or doesn't move the line at all. I have no idea what is causing the dilemma, but it ain't reliable.

- Goddamn down-tilt is pretty dreadful. It's decent if you can hit with the end of it, but being near someone just leaves me so open even after hitting. It's probably just meant for a mid-close poke whereas his jab combo is actually really good reach-wise.

Apart from the pikmin glitches I love Olimar. He's kept his main game that made me love him in Brawl while improving enough to hold his own. His aerials are really good, grab range is awesome, throws set up well enough and most of his tilts are good. But yeah, pikmin need work for him to be a stable staple character for me.

Cody_D165

Banned
I got kinda bored and was messing around with random characters and I seriously think I might pick up DK as a side main. He has a surprising amount of combo potential, decent recovery and an abundance of kill moves...

His speed's not even that much of a problem if you L-cancel his aerials correctly.

Grand Optimist

Neo Member
My friends and I are having an absolute blast with turbo mode. I played Brawl vanilla for the first few years, and then went back to Melee. Safe to say that I'll never play Brawl again without Project M.

NMFried

Okay so I've got a modded Wii w/

an 8GB USB Drive
a 16GB SD Card
Riivolution ready to load a patch.

How can I load Project M 3.0 with this method? I don't have access to a 2GB SD card.

So after a long battle of the sticky soda sickness, my Wiimote Plus and CCpro kicked the bucket today. Relunctant to spend more than 35 bucks for another pair, I just stick it out with the vanilla Wiimote I've had since launch. Searching for it, I came across an old gamecube pad. I remember being in love with the Wavebird controller so much that I dropped ol' purple quicker than I did the wavebird when I got the vanilla CC. So I plugged it in and...

My God.

Tilt moves without jumping, L-Canceling, wavedashing, SHFFLing, everything felt natural and easy. Hot damn, why did I drop you for CC?!

+1 for Gamecube Controller Elitism.

Unicorn

Wait, there are people NOT using a GC controller to play this?! It's the single reason I'm not really hype for Smash 4. I mean, I am for Villager, but Smash doesn't feel right without the GC controller.

My brother and I spend almost every night playing Project M since it was released. We're not wavedashing or l-cancelling like the pros do, we've managed to have fun stringing some basic combos on all of the characters. He's a beast as Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Falco, and Roy while I rep Bowser, Ivysaur, Ness, and Mewtwo.

He swears he's kicking my ass but only because he uses the only wired controller. We agreed to use our old wireless controllers and now I won 2 consecutive nights ;)

Shun

an 8GB USB Drive
a 16GB SD Card

How can I load Project M 3.0 with this method? I don't have access to a 2GB SD card.

You're going to need to boot through the hack method as shown on Project M's download page since Riivolution is supposedly not supported in 3.0

Has anyone got any idea on how to edit portraits/skins/music and pac/pcs files on Mac OS X? I want to be able to reskin and rework some of my Project M characters without having to borrow a friend's computer.

Jaeger

Wait, there are people NOT using a GC controller to play this?! It's the single reason I'm not really hype for Smash 4. I mean, I am for Villager, but Smash doesn't feel right without the GC controller.

I use a GC controller exclusively for Smash. I'll be getting one of those Mayflashes, too. I can't imagine trying to use anything else.

an 8GB USB Drive
a 16GB SD Card

The last I heard, there's talk of them making a custom channel for modded Wiis that will launch the Project M patch(es) with the disc that will be usable from SD cards larger than 2GB. That's been about a month since I've heard that though.

In the meantime, this is not officially done -- or to my knowledge endorsed -- by the Project M team, but there is a Riivolution version of 3.0 that someone on Reddit made for use in conjunction with the hacked Wii version/files of Project M, which I've been using with my 32GB SD card:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1sjgxu/riivolution_support_for_30/

It seems to work really well. I do periodically experience game freezes, but as far as I can tell, it's not happening any more frequently than it is with the official versions of 3.0.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Holy hell, this mod is amazing. I don't think i can go back to vanilla Brawl now, for real.

I was thinking this too, but after two weeks of project M me and my brother popped Brawl back in and it still felt as good as it has. Both of us rather enjoy the more defensive side of it, that and Olimar feels a thousand times better. Only thing I don't love about PM3 are the Olimar differences.

If Smash 4 is an inbetween of Melee and Brawl with no tripping, holy hell I will be set for life.

That being said, PM3 is easily my favorite smash game now. So many characters, so little time. Favorites to play as are . .

1. Shiek (with random Zelda thrown in)
2. Gannondorf
3. Fox/ Ness
4. Ike
5. Olimar (my brawl main)

Though honestly I could just stay on random all day because they all feel so good.

Anteo

I was thinking this too, but after two weeks of project M me and my brother popped Brawl back in and it still felt as good as it has. Both of us rather enjoy the more defensive side of it, that and Olimar feels a thousand times better. Only thing I don't love about PM3 are the Olimar differences.

If Smash 4 is an inbetween of Melee and Brawl with no tripping, holy hell I will be set for life.

That being said, PM3 is easily my favorite smash game now. So many characters, so little time. Favorites to play as are . .

1. Shiek (with random Zelda thrown in)
2. Gannondorf
3. Fox/ Ness
4. Ike
5. Olimar (my brawl main)

Though honestly I could just stay on random all day because they all feel so good.

You should try brawl+. 5.0 or 6.0. (I think only 6.0 had hackless)

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
You should try brawl+. 5.0 or 6.0. (I think only 6.0 had hackless)

But does it have the other characters balanced out, back to melee standards? Because I love Brawl to death and all, but the gimped brawl versions of peach/spacies/jiggly/sheik and whatnot is something that hurts.

Drencrom

[...]

Well, different strokes for different folks. I can safely say P:M is here to stay in my household.

PK Gaming

So I know that this works on the Wii U but... is the wiimote the only control option? Did someone find a way to jerryrig the pro controller into working for wii games?

Anteo

But does it have the other characters balanced out, back to melee standards? Because I love Brawl to death and all, but the gimped brawl versions of peach/spacies/jiggly/sheik and whatnot is something that hurts.

Brawl+ was a mod (no longer on development) that plays slower than melee but faster than brawl with lower hitstun than melee too (but not too low), so no they didnt put them at melee standards because you cant put the other characters back to melee standard and then slow down the game., it would break the balance of these chars. They did try to make them good again in the context of the game. Pretty sure Falco is a good example, they didnt revert his moves to Melee, they worked out the brawl stats and animations to make him a good character.

They also removed L canceling by halving the landing lag of all aerial moves automatically (they believed it was a unnecesary mechanic, as you never not want to do it). Other brawl mechanics like dacus are still in. The mod died because they released way too many verions too the public to fast, so the metagame never had a chance of develop and people just got burn. Many of the lessons learned were applied by the new mods like BBrawl/Brawl minus/Project M/

Edit: The mod had the problem that sometimes the hitstun was not long enough so sometimes characters could jump out of combos/juggles on time and use a airdodge in the air to go back to the stage safetly. Since brawl airdodges are not as unsafe as melee's, the vertical game was a little boring. So for 6.0 they made it so you had to press a direction after the hitstun ends to get control of your character back (to be able to jump/airdodge). It really was a weird decition because once again, why wouldnt yo do that?. They also reduced the size of the stage bounds for 6.0 so the balance felt really off.
all that might have been 7.0 with the gold release?, my memory is really foggy about that, oh and the gsh builds too, I mostly remember that the last version was somewhat dissapointing and gsh2 was okayish but had more fun with gsh1 and 5.0.. Now that I think about it, it was gsh2 and 7 that reduced the stage size after the balance was done

Edit2: Brawl+ Match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvScFNEMSx4&feature=related
I loved falco here, canceling the towards b just before it ends so you can keep the momentum was amazing

Looking forward to bringing this to my 4-person suite buddies.

I have the non-WIFI ver. ready to go on my SD card.
We always play Melee so PM is going to be really fun.

NMFried

The last I heard, there's talk of them making a custom channel for modded Wiis that will launch the Project M patch(es) with the disc that will be usable from SD cards larger than 2GB. That's been about a month since I've heard that though.

In the meantime, this is not officially done -- or to my knowledge endorsed -- by the Project M team, but there is a Riivolution version of 3.0 that someone on Reddit made for use in conjunction with the hacked Wii version/files of Project M, which I've been using with my 32GB SD card:
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/1sjgxu/riivolution_support_for_30/

It seems to work really well. I do periodically experience game freezes, but as far as I can tell, it's not happening any more frequently than it is with the official versions of 3.0.

Awesome. Thank you so much!

Top Bottom