• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project M 3.0 |OT| More Smash Bros. is a good thing

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Brawl+ was a mod (no longer on development) that plays slower than melee but faster than brawl with lower hitstun than melee too (but not too low), so no they didnt put them at melee standards because you cant put the other characters back to melee standard and then slow down the game., it would break the balance of these chars. They did try to make them good again in the context of the game. Pretty sure Falco is a good example, they didnt revert his moves to Melee, they worked out the brawl stats and animations to make him a good character.

They also removed L canceling by halving the landing lag of all aerial moves automatically (they believed it was a unnecesary mechanic, as you never not want to do it). Other brawl mechanics like dacus are still in. The mod died because they released way too many verions too the public to fast, so the metagame never had a chance of develop and people just got burn. Many of the lessons learned were applied by the new mods like BBrawl/Brawl minus/Project M/

Edit: The mod had the problem that sometimes the hitstun was not long enough so sometimes characters could jump out of combos/juggles on time and use a airdodge in the air to go back to the stage safetly. Since brawl airdodges are not as unsafe as melee's, the vertical game was a little boring. So for 6.0 they made it so you had to press a direction after the hitstun ends to get control of your character back (to be able to jump/airdodge). It really was a weird decition because once again, why wouldnt yo do that?. They also reduced the size of the stage bounds for 6.0 so the balance felt really off.
all that might have been 7.0 with the gold release?, my memory is really foggy about that, oh and the gsh builds too, I mostly remember that the last version was somewhat dissapointing and gsh2 was okayish but had more fun with gsh1 and 5.0.. Now that I think about it, it was gsh2 and 7 that reduced the stage size after the balance was done

Edit2: Brawl+ Match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvScFNEMSx4&feature=related
I loved falco here, canceling the towards b just before it ends so you can keep the momentum was amazing

Goootcha. Thanks for the write up, much appreciated. Since it doesn't look to be supported at any real Tournaments, I'll probably just stick to PM3.0 and Brawl though.

NMFried

Okay so I'm trying to use Riivolution and I'm on v 1.06 and it just won't load PM. I always get to a white screen with the website and it freezes. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've solved it!

Dreavus

If the launcher ends up working as advertised in the future, it's going to make updating WAY EASIER.

Won't have to bust out the card reader for a patch anymore. Sweet!

Shun

Is it safe to patch Project M even though I have textures, music, and some other mods?

If it'll delete my mods, what folders do I replace so I can keep my mods and enjoy the update?

Like did they update the motion files or what.

Kyzon

Is it safe to patch Project M even though I have textures, music, and some other mods?

If it'll delete my mods, what folders do I replace so I can keep my mods and enjoy the update?

Like did they update the motion files or what.

It won't update properly if you have altered the game yourself.

You can just get a clean install though and then add your extras from there.

Noirulus

Can't be arsed to update to 3.02, but I'm loving Zelda in PM 3.0. She's very versatile and it's easy to rack up damage with her. :D

Question though, how do i control her Din's Fire to go really far? I was watching a video of Salem's Zelda and he seems to be able to use Din's Fire all the way across a map, yet mine stops after a short distance.

Kyzon

Can't be arsed to update to 3.02, but I'm loving Zelda in PM 3.0. She's very versatile and it's easy to rack up damage with her. :D

Question though, how do i control her Din's Fire to go really far? I was watching a video of Salem's Zelda and he seems to be able to use Din's Fire all the way across a map, yet mine stops after a short distance.

If you let go of the B button before it reaches max distance then it stops wherever you release it at.

Ok, just tested pm 3.0.2 on two different systems: dolphin 4.0 (i7 2720, gtx 485m) and 4.0.2 (i7 4470k, gtx 780), both are homebrew wifi versions.

Hey, PM backroom guys. The audio is totally broken. DSound, XAudio and OpenAL all sound like a crackly popcorn mess.

Does this happen in 3.0.1?

Chavelo

Ok, just tested pm 3.0.2 on two different systems: dolphin 4.0 (i7 2720, gtx 485m) and 4.0.2 (i7 4470k, gtx 780), both are homebrew wifi versions.

Hey, PM backroom guys. The audio is totally broken. DSound, XAudio and OpenAL all sound like a crackly popcorn mess.

Does this happen in 3.0.1?

I used to get those issues in version 3.0.0, but once I updated to 3.0.2, they've been cut back a ton. Using the Homebrew Full version.

I'm not so sure that they (PMBR) will give any support when it comes to emulators, though. :(

Shun

So, I've come to the conclusion that we need to have a GAF Project M Tourney.

Who's interested?

I'm down for this, but we'd need a new thread for it and it'd have to be in the format of the Pokemon GAF Tournament to fall in line with everyone's time schedule.

I'm down for this, but we'd need a new thread for it and it'd have to be in the format of the Pokemon GAF Tournament to fall in line with everyone's time schedule.

Swiss tourney for Smash?
.....maybe?

(speaking of Pokemon tournaments, I love how Apex was double-elimination best of 1 up until winners/losers/grand finals for them, that must have been a huge shakeup LOL)

Jaeger

Yea, I can agree to that. Use this thread for general discussion, and the other for our GAF specific tournament.

Swiss tourney for Smash?
.....maybe?

(speaking of Pokemon tournaments, I love how Apex was double-elimination best of 1 up until winners/losers/grand finals for them, that must have been a huge shakeup LOL)

Yes indeed. EVO style brackets. Losers and Winners are still possible winners. Great idea.

We'd have to make sure everyone has the Wi-Fi version, for those interested. I can't wait to unleash my Mewtwo (and Wolf) upon everyone, and see where I'm at.

Jaeger

Excellent. If someone wants to make the thread, be my guest. Reserve a few posts for brackets, and what not aswell. I'll help out as a co-organizer, if need be.

Azure J

I want to play this more with people online but given how bad Brawl was already for me, I'm kinda weary. Riddle me this though, there's nothing extra I need to know when it comes to playing P:M online via Wii U other than having the online enabled launcher on the SD card, correct?

Shun

Yea, I can agree to that. Use this thread for general discussion, and the other for our GAF specific tournament.

Yes indeed. EVO style brackets. Losers and Winners are still possible winners. Great idea.

We'd have to make sure everyone has the Wi-Fi version, for those interested. I can't wait to unleash my Mewtwo (and Wolf) upon everyone, and see where I'm at.

Make it double elimination solely because Wi-Fi isn't reliable and because once you step into Wi-Fi, it's basically casuals.

Stage Strike, C-Stick Buffering, and Analog triggers all don't work. So we'd have to make a list of stages and what not as well as a schedule so that the tournament doesn't get dragged on for weeks due to inconvenient times and what not.

Kyzon

I want to play this more with people online but given how bad Brawl was already for me, I'm kinda weary. Riddle me this though, there's nothing extra I need to know when it comes to playing P:M online via Wii U other than having the online enabled launcher on the SD card, correct?

Yup, that and use the normal brawl friend code bs

JazzmanZ

Hey does anybody have any idea how I can change some of the project m implemented stages back into regular brawl ones? I want to use Luigi's Mansion and Mario circuit, but I can figure out heads or tails what to delete in the folder.

Noirulus

Excited to play my fellow gaffers! I can't do any advanced techniques (Wavedashing, L-cancelling, crouch-cancelling), and my tech-skill is subpar, but I hope my reads and ability to adjust will allow me to put up a fight.

I could never go back to Brawl. Ever.

Seriously. It's impossible to enjoy Brawl after picking up PM!

Excited to play my fellow gaffers! I can't do any advanced techniques (Wavedashing, L-cancelling, crouch-cancelling), and my tech-skill is subpar, but I hope my reads and ability to adjust will allow me to put up a fight.
Don't worry, the only skill you'll really need is the ability to cope with and adjust to the input lag and general shittyness that is Wi-Fi.

Neverfade

So I'm trying to load this on my Wii with little success.

I just need to put the files under the unzipped folder into the root, correct?

Also, I have bootmii on my Wii, do I HAVE to use the Homebrew version of PM?

Anteo

So I'm trying to load this on my Wii with little success.

I just need to put the files under the unzipped folder into the root, correct?

Also, I have bootmii on my Wii, do I HAVE to use the Homebrew version of PM?

Yes.
I also have bootmii, but for some reason I cant run the game from the homebrew channel it fails to load a lot, it's probably the drive but I dont have as many problems with the hackless

Linkhero1

Is it me or is there still some sort of input lag at times. I don't notice it during 1vs1 but whenever it's more than 2 people in a free for all, it becomes irritating. I know I'm not crazy because others playing with me complained about the same thing. Any idea?

Neverfade

Yes.
I also have bootmii, but for some reason I cant run the game from the homebrew channel it fails to load a lot, it's probably the drive but I dont have as many problems with the hackless

I'm using the hackless version. Still no luck. :(

Using a 2GB or less card, too.

bawk

Banned
Is it me or is there still some sort of input lag at times. I don't notice it during 1vs1 but whenever it's more than 2 people in a free for all, it becomes irritating. I know I'm not crazy because others playing with me complained about the same thing. Any idea?

Which version do you have? iirc there was an issue with 3.0 when it first released when Mewtwo and Roy were played at the same time or when the dry bones bowser skin was used on particular stages which they fixed i think in following patches.

Top Bottom