• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project X Zone |OT| Reiji & Xiaomu VS The World

Videoneon

I'm taking way longer than I need to on chapters. I beat Chapter 20 and I'm clocking in at 33 hours and 50 minutes. Sometimes I'm doing dumb stuff like cooking between fights, delaying the end of the chapter so that my other units can kill bosses and enemies. I don't know what's going on; I'm not having a hard time with the game, but...

???

Must've left the game on a couple times. I also kill everything (except for unwittingly letting Astaroth go in Chapter 17.)

Neki

Yes, kill everyone before all the statues are activated in Chapter 17. I wish I could have gone back and killed him!

Before I gave up, I really liked how the early chapters let you boss snipe and finish quickly. Later missions you have to kill literally every enemy including 50-60 grunts and 5 or more 100k+ HP bosses, which accounts for the 2+ hour mission times.

cj_iwakura

Before I gave up, I really liked how the early chapters let you boss snipe and finish quickly. Later missions you have to kill literally every enemy including 50-60 grunts and 5 or more 100k+ HP bosses, which accounts for the 2+ hour mission times.

Good thing I'm in the mindset of killing everything. I think it helps a lot that I play the game at work. 15 minutes, hour, 15 minutes.

GeekyDad

I'm taking way longer than I need to on chapters. I beat Chapter 20 and I'm clocking in at 33 hours and 50 minutes. Sometimes I'm doing dumb stuff like cooking between fights, delaying the end of the chapter so that my other units can kill bosses and enemies. I don't know what's going on; I'm not having a hard time with the game, but...

???

Must've left the game on a couple times. I also kill everything (except for unwittingly letting Astaroth go in Chapter 17.)

Good Lord, and I thought I was going slow. Yeah, I just finished Chapter 20, actually, and it was the longest chapter yet for me, clocking in at roughly two-hours long. I think I have a little over 20 hours logged in total. For that particular chapter, I was lagging my higher-level units to give the lower-level units a chance to gain some experience.

As an aside -- and no offense -- I forgot how annoying Zephyr was, ugh! Played through RoF and enjoyed the gameplay immensely, but that character's a fucking douche. Hate 'em.

Gartooth

Late game map spoilers:
Holy shit freaking Tarquon returns from Vesperia! Should have seen it coming, of course that long ass final dungeon would be great for a couple maps in a game like this. Currently on chapter 36 and I cant wait to see what else shows up before the end.

Bladenic

Late game map spoilers:
Holy shit freaking Tarquon returns from Vesperia! Should have seen it coming, of course that long ass final dungeon would be great for a couple maps in a game like this. Currently on chapter 36 and I cant wait to see what else shows up before the end.

Shouldn't have read that spoiler but looking forward to it!

Kasumin

I'm confused by all the people complaining that the game is easy to the point that positioning doesn't matter. I've played plenty of missions where how I split my party up has made a difference. Also, if you don't pay attention to positioning, you'll get hit by tons of attacks including bosses' multi-hit attacks. This game gives you plenty of healing items, sure, but if you don't pay attention to positioning at all I imagine you'd eventually run out of them or at least have a fair number of units die.

I don't get this idea that games have to be balls-to-the-wall difficult to be any good. Like all the people I know who act like the only "real" way to play Fire Emblem: Awakening is on Lunatic.

My main objective in games is fun, and I've been having fun with Project X Zone, so it's a good game as far as I'm concerned. As for review scores, I'm not really surprised. I heard this game didn't do that great in Japan. I'd love for it to hit 100,000 units sold outside of Japan, but I'm not all that optimistic.

RangerBAD

I'm at the home stretch. Just three more chapters to go.
I had thought the XP meter got an upgrade later in the game. I also ran out of items in chapter 39 and really got bamboozled in that last wave with Jedah and Lord Raptor. Two of my pairs were K.O.ed.

LuuKyK

I don't get this idea that games have to be balls-to-the-wall difficult to be any good. Like all the people I know who act like the only "real" way to play Fire Emblem: Awakening is on Lunatic.

My main objective in games is fun, and I've been having fun with Project X Zone, so it's a good game as far as I'm concerned.

Relax, some people are just crazy. :p

I dont get it either. I also hate when people point out that your opinion is invalid/less valid because you only beat certain game on Normal/Easy. So annoying...

But yeah, as you said, just have fun with the game and ignore the rest.

Nope, you get mochi balls like candy, and you get two group heals for 80 XP. You can facetank boss AOEs all day.

It's a simple explanation: People enjoy and have more fun with a difficulty level appropriate to their personal skill. PxZ is too easy and repetitive for some people to enjoy or have fun with.

Awakening Lunatic is easy to break, that's not a good example of a difficult game.

Dismissing someone asking for a harder mode is just as rude as dismissing someone asking for an easier mode.

GeekyDad

I'm confused by all the people complaining that the game is easy to the point that positioning doesn't matter. I've played plenty of missions where how I split my party up has made a difference. Also, if you don't pay attention to positioning, you'll get hit by tons of attacks including bosses' multi-hit attacks. This game gives you plenty of healing items, sure, but if you don't pay attention to positioning at all I imagine you'd eventually run out of them or at least have a fair number of units die.

My main objective in games is fun, and I've been having fun with Project X Zone, so it's a good game as far as I'm concerned. As for review scores, I'm not really surprised. I heard this game didn't do that great in Japan. I'd love for it to hit 100,000 units sold outside of Japan, but I'm not all that optimistic.

Yeah, there are definitely tactics and strategies to employ, but the game never truly tests your mettle. Could be I've just played so much FE and FFT, what needs to be done is second nature. Mainly, the strategies you need to employ in this game are mostly based around how to manage your XP and items, rather than positioning. So, a lot of folks seem to be critical because the game doesn't follow a tried-and-true formula. But that's what I love about Monolith. They do their own thing. Most reviewers bagged on Endless Frontier as well. I reveled in it. The humor, combat -- the whole thing was great to me.

LiK

yup, game is too easy but the special attacks and dialogue keep me coming back. they managed to do a good job making the characters have fun interactions.

LuuKyK

Nope, you get mochi balls like candy, and you get two group heals for 80 XP. You can facetank boss AOEs all day.

It's a simple explanation: People enjoy and have more fun with a difficulty level appropriate to their personal skill. PxZ is too easy and repetitive for some people to enjoy or have fun with.

Awakening Lunatic is easy to break, that's not a good example of a difficult game.

Dismissing someone asking for a harder mode is just as rude as dismissing someone asking for an easier mode.

Yeah, in fact, dismissing anyone based on something as subjective as ability and preferences in gaming is just rude, period. There is not much point arguing over something like this honestly.

Kasumin

I don't think your statement applies to everyone. I've definitely played more difficult SRPGs, like Tactics Ogre (though if people consider TO easy, then I give up). PxZ isn't nearly as difficult, sure, but it's engaging in other ways in my experience. I'm well aware that not everyone's going to enjoy the game. But I think the claims of its easiness are a bit exaggerated.

I never saw anyone asking for a harder mode. I only saw people saying this game is too easy. A harder mode would be great because it would be an option that might bring more people into the game. I have nothing against higher difficulty modes. And my issue with FE:A's Lunatic is that it doesn't seem very well-balanced.

GeekyDad

So to sum up: Some folks paid for a night with a whore and are upset she didn't turn out to be the woman they would end up married to.

Misplaced expectations.

Loona

Valkyrie summons a rainbow bridge in NxC, which seems like an artifact of the nordic mytholigy which inspired her and Thor - when people mentioned Mario kart references I was expecting something more specific like red or blue shells or something... Then again, I'm yet to reach that part, just played the first couple of prologue chapters.

I'm pretty sure I heard Akira sneak in his classic "jyunen hayaindayo!" line in the dialogue, but I don't think the translators caught it - then again, it's an awkward one to translate and explain, but it's still nice to find it there. Ryu's SF4 intro line make it too, perfectly, but felt a bit awkward in context.

And I think Pai indirectly mentioned knowing Fei Long from SF, with the bit about knowing people in the movie biz getting harassed by S.I.N., which pretty much the guy's plot in SF4...
I think I may take the game slowly and try to document these kinds of tidbits - on the other hand, it's easier for me to catch the fighting game stuff, the games ahead I'm barely aware of are bound to be trickier...

demidar

Valkyrie summons a rainbow bridge in NxC, which seems like an artifact of the nordic mytholigy which inspired her and Thor - when people mentioned Mario kart references I was expecting something more specific like red or blue shells or something... Then again, I'm yet to reach that part, just played the first couple of prologue chapters.

I'm pretty sure I heard Akira sneak in his classic "jyunen hayaindayo!" line in the dialogue, but I don't think the translators caught it - then again, it's an awkward one to translate and explain, but it's still nice to find it there. Ryu's SF4 intro line make it too, perfectly, but felt a bit awkward in context.

And I think Pai indirectly mentioned knowing Fei Long from SF, with the bit about knowing people in the movie biz getting harassed by S.I.N., which pretty much the guy's plot in SF4...
I think I may take the game slowly and try to document these kinds of tidbits - on the other hand, it's easier for me to catch the fighting game stuff, the games ahead I'm barely aware of are bound to be trickier...

While I haven't played the Valkyrie games, I do know that the rainbow bridge is called Bifrost in Norse mythology.

Danj

I'm pretty sure I heard Akira sneak in his classic "jyunen hayaindayo!" line in the dialogue, but I don't think the translators caught it - then again, it's an awkward one to translate and explain, but it's still nice to find it there.

Doesn't it just mean something like "You're 10 years too early [to do whatever]"?

demidar

Much like character action games and competitive fighting games, reviewer scores for super fanservice crossover games is almost irrelevant. People who know about the game will know whether they want it or not, though it does help exposure.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
made a reference to mario kart ala rainbow road :D

I was referring to the "I will use tatsumaki senpuu kyaku to steer myself while in midair!" Ryu used for reference. The only time it's shown was in the cartoon.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
A bit on the fence here, it seems fun enough, it is what it is and I don't care about the mediocre reviews, but on the other hand it's nearly as expensive as DKCR on the eshop...

Videoneon

Just my fucking luck. I'm at the end of the House of the Dead chapter. Taking my sweet time so that I can split up experience from Lord Raptor amongst Chris/Jill and Akira/Pai. I set Frank next to the Aura fragment, but it turns out only Kite can talk to her in order for the chapter to end. Why give me the option of having Frank talk to her?

D=

Game Over experience is...weird.

Loona

Doesn't it just mean something like "You're 10 years too early [to do whatever]"?

Yeah, the implication being you need years of practice to keep up, but nothing in the translation even remotely resembled that when he said it.

It might take a while to learn to get a feel for each of the attack combinations, especially figuring out when each ends and the next cam be used - I'm glad the list of yet unused commands shows up under the characters, at least, to make it simpler to get a grip on this kind of pinball.

Is it me or you can only sneak in a single attack on counters?

Jintor

Yeah, the implication being you need years of practice to keep up, but nothing in the translation even remotely resembled that when he said it.

It might take a while to learn to get a feel for each of the attack combinations, especially figuring out when each ends and the next cam be used - I'm glad the list of yet unused commands shows up under the characters, at least, to make it simpler to get a grip on this kind of pinball.

Is it me or you can only sneak in a single attack on counters?

It reduces your active attacks by -2. So at the beginning of the game that's one attack, but late-game you'll still be able to maintain at least a 3-hit combo + solo.

Jintor

The Resonance of Fate duo get an extra attack in on counters, too. I think. Unless that was just because I always pair them with a solo unit who has that skill or something...

Jintor

There's no reason 'fanservice' and 'challenging gameplay' need be mutually exclusive.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying the game. I just think I could be more enjoying the game. But maybe the challenge would wreck the easy-going fun times, who knows.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh now I understand the "aura" given off by a character when his or her turn pops out. It's the effect of the Auto Skill coming from the character or the Solo unit. That's why Chun Li/Morrigan gets it when the XP is below 50 since they always gain 10 XP per turn when it's below 50 for their Auto Skill. Sometimes it affects all characters too.

Sadist

It's fun but easy during the first hours.

The story is bull, but I love the jokes. Some mystery duo enters, shouts a oneliner;

"Who was that?"

"Uh, check the top of the buildings; it's how these introductions usually work"

I chuckled.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Juri seems to do her final attack if I don't have a support attacking at the same time. Otherwise, her animation doesn't appear and she never does it if I have her, a support, and my main units all attacking at the same time. Though yeah, it does get annoying that she changes the position, making it so certain attacks miss.

Also, the RAGE when you do all those attacks & a special and the enemy/boss is left with health in the double or even the freakin SINGLE digits (did Ch. 26, Dural had SIX HP left), i.e when literally one more hit from any attack would've done it.

LuuKyK

Also, the RAGE when you do all those attacks & a special and the enemy/boss is left with health in the double or even the freakin SINGLE digits (did Ch. 26, Dural had SIX HP left), i.e when literally one more hit from any attack would've done it.

This. I swear to god every single enemy is left with double digits HP at this chapter I am at (30 iirc). How annoying.

Yoyoenix91

Neo Member
Got my first game over yesterday... one of the horse/cow people killed Reiji/Xiaomu. I spent so much time on that chapter too. 8-<

Still love this game. <3

GeekyDad

Just finished Chapter 22. Think I'm starting to feel the burn a bit, as in burning out. Great game for what it is -- love it -- but definitely not something that should be consumed in large doses. Could just be my lust for SMTIV that's clouding everything else I'm playing right now.

Top Bottom