• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prosecutors: Sleeping West Seattle man woke to find woman raping him

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUELEN10

I still can't believe that at this stage, only a warrant for her arrest has been issued. It's freaking 2nd degree rape!

Camjo-Z

These types of threads are pointless, they're just begging for controversy. There's no discussion to be had here regarding the news story. Either you get boring "oh, that's terrible, lock her up and throw away the key" responses, or you get a few insensitive comments followed by a huge parade of shaming posts that do nothing but give the original dumbass comment more exposure. It benefits nobody.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
yeah there will be jokes about this, but honestly if ANYONE showed up in your home unannounced you'd probably level 3 shinku hadouken them out your front door. This is messed up.

depths20XX

These types of threads are pointless, they're just begging for controversy. There's no discussion to be had here regarding the news story. Either you get boring "oh, that's terrible, lock her up and throw away the key" responses, or you get a few insensitive comments followed by a huge parade of shaming posts that do nothing but give the original dumbass comment more exposure. It benefits nobody.

Yep.

Volimar

Excuse me, some of us are here to learn.

Buzzati

Banned

Right.

Or you know, it's to help raise awareness of an issue that happens way more than people think? Or to maybe inspire hope for victims or friends of victims that a female rapist is actually getting prosecuted for rape, when this basically never happens?

Also, this thread is nothing. You should read almost any of the news sites on this story with comments enabled, there's tonnes of disgusting and backwards-thinking comments.

I think these kinds of threads are raising awareness. Not sure about begging for controversy, per se, but I think it's a valuable discussion where rape is discussed as rape, no matter the gender of the perpetrator. And I know the dogpiling is a bit much, but calling out certain behaviours can be a source of learning for others and a check against unchecked notions that has been too ingrained in mainstream society.

... As for your last sentence, it seems a bit hyperbolic. Idk. My two cents, and all that.

BPoole

And then how would you feel if you tried to get her off you and she fought back and held you down?
I'd punch her in the face and beat her into submission until the police came most likely
Lol free pussy am i right bro

Christ.

Why would you be confused? You're being raped. There's such a severe lack of empathy here.
The guy was at a party the night before and was most likely drinking. I would be confused in the sense that I'd likely be hung over and would have no idea if I initiated this or not since it is such a strange situation.

Because any thread about a woman can't go too far without the inevitable discussion about her appearance, including rating how various posters would or wouldn't have sex with her...

Seriously, even though this is a sex related case, just go back up over those quotes and imagine female GAFers said them with regards to a male on female rape.

How fucked up would that be?
My bad, didnt mean to offend. ill edit it. For the record she is pretty though.

That's just... wow. She must be really fucked up in the head.
That really depends on the position.

Ah, I get it, it's a funny joke because he could have been orally raped too!

/sarcasm. Just... ugh.

This thread is a great example on how much control our dicks have over us.

Is it? Or is it a good example of certain people who are ignorant and have a lack of empathy/skewed priorities? Also, I assume when you say "us" you mean all men - nice generalisation there too.

I still can't believe that at this stage, only a warrant for her arrest has been issued. It's freaking 2nd degree rape!

I can believe it. I can't believe an actual warrant has been issued at all. It's so much better late than never, for the survivor's sake.

Camjo-Z

I think these kinds of threads are raising awareness. Not sure about begging for controversy, per se, but I think it's a valuable discussion where rape is discussed as rape, no matter the gender of the perpetrator.

I guess you're right about it raising awareness, though I don't think any valuable discussion regarding rape has taken place in this thread yet.

And I know the dogpiling is a bit much, but calling out certain behaviours can be a source of learning for others and a check against unchecked notions that has been too ingrained in mainstream society.

I'd like to agree with you on this point too, but most (if not all) of the dogpiling posts are strictly for their own benefit. I don't see a single post calmly explaining to Delta Assault that men are just as affected by rape as women. Instead I see a whole a lot of "what the fuck?" and sarcastic "yeah, because rape is good!" posts that will just make him less interested in hearing the other side.

Yrael

This thread is disappointing to read - particularly after the other thread about male victims of rape in the military, with devastating personal accounts of trauma (not to mention the comments on the rapist's appearance too).

There are a lot of harmful myths that still need to be dispelled about rape (ie. like if a male rape victim gets an erection then he must have wanted it, that men aren't as affected by rape as women, etc).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/media-spotlight/201210/when-men-are-raped

But why has male sexual assault been so often marginalized in many societies? According to a provocative new literature review recently published in Psychology of Men and Masculinity, the problem may stem from various “myths” surrounding male rape. The review authors, Jessica A. Turchik of Stanford Medical School and Katie M. Edwards of Ohio University, focus on a series of common rape myths that often prevent male victim from reporting their assault and can even make police officers refuse to take their complaint seriously. The myths include:

Men cannot be raped
“Real” men can defend themselves against rape
Only gay men are victims and/or perpetrators of rape
Men are not affected by rape (or not as much as women)
A woman cannot sexually assault a man
Male rape only happens in prisons
Sexual assault by someone of the same sex causes homosexuality
Homosexual and bisexual men deserve to be sexually assaulted because they are immoral and deviant
If a victim physically responds to a sexual assault, he must have wanted it.

In any case, I hope the man can get the help he needs.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
West Seattle, in case anyone is unfamiliar with Seattle, isn't even really Seattle at all. It's a peninsula (relatively far and in traffic, nightmarish to get to and from), that feels like an island and a mixed bag of neighborhoods, from beachy million dollar architect homes, to pretty dangerous slums. It has a disproportionate amount of crime for the size of the place and there are some parts where you're basically guaranteed to get mugged.

She was charged? Well now, that *is* interesting.

EDIT: Some of you guys really would do anything for sex. That shit's just depressing.

Soriku

450297-fd7ad5e8-3c2e-11e4-bf5a-0352721e6660.jpg

Her ass alone weighs 200 lbs.

CTLance

Terrifying stuff.

And no, the victim being a male or not doesn't change shit. Rape is rape is rape, no matter the gender. Dammit GAF, don't you do this to me.

Irminsul

But this is all true about most horrifying things happening in the world.

otapnam

Not really. I've been in the same situation with my ex and tossed her off me, she was 260 lbs at the time and I was half asleep as well.

This cannot be her. She is either super tall, or that weight is bullshit.

Lol yall trippin. She can easily be that weight - that pic might not be from the time of the assault. You can see her large waist n legs in this pic too

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

I'm a little confused with what more you want. She's likely a horrible POS who committed an absolutely vile crime and will hopefully get properly locked up, but she still has her rights to due process. She's been charged and she's got a warrant out for her arrest, those are the first steps. Unless you're talking about something like a restraining order?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm honestly not sure if I'm more offended by the dismissal of male rape in this thread, or the fact that the discussion immediately devolved into people talking about how fuckable a goddamn rapist is because she just so happens to possess a vagina and apparently that just gives that sort of talk the green light.

Just....jesus christ, people.

Both are seriously worrying thought processes.

ChrisRT

West Seattle, in case anyone is unfamiliar with Seattle, isn't even really Seattle at all. It's a peninsula (relatively far and in traffic, nightmarish to get to and from), that feels like an island and a mixed bag of neighborhoods, from beachy million dollar architect homes, to pretty dangerous slums. It has a disproportionate amount of crime for the size of the place and there are some parts where you're basically guaranteed to get mugged.
Not that this is on topic, but that's new to me. My home is in West Seattle. Furthermore, the Jeanette Williams memorial bridge takes me on average some 4 minutes to cross towards Seattle in rush hour, and even less on the way back. As far as slums go, are you saying that south Seattle where one can get shot for buying fruit, or downtown are safe? You should actually visit Seattle sometime.

studyguy

That's gross af dude.

The idea of some junkie willing to break in and try to fuck with you isn't sexy in the slightest. I don't care how attractive she might be, anyone who will go as far as to break into your home and sexually assault you is probably prone to a ton of other shit I don't want to be exposed to.

Really? That isn't all that heavy.

I'm surprised this isn't being downplayed. Whenever a woman rapes a man, it's not given much attention.

I would have a lot of trouble getting 240 pounds of anything off me, let alone 240 of something fighting me to stay on.

It would bring my sleep paralysis nightmares into real life, I might have tried to beat her to death because that's what I try my hardest to do during my paralysis until I wake up punching at the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom