• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadiWulf

The gem of Vita apps is LiveTweet. I use it exclusively for following twitters. I don't even bother with twitter on other devices.

YouTube is very nice too, but it needs a few more features for heavy users.

Agreed. I think the twitter app is really amazing. Nice and responsive, looks great too.

Vitacat

How pathetic is this?

http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/psvita/index.htm

Still showing 1.69 as the latest Vita firmware. I assume Sony has paid people maintaining their online presence, no? Is it that hard to keep the firmware page updated within a day or two of a new version? I don't know why, but Sony (SCEA at least) seems to be horribly slow with everything. I guess they probably have a small staff with too many responsibilities. Or just a very lazy one.

P90

I had this issue with ML. Surprised it hasn't been solved yet.

Go to Sony's site. Download the CMA like you never installed it before. Install it. It should work.

Unfortunately, not for me. I deleted the old CMA. The Apple installer will open the CMAIntaller.pkg and then it does the: To open “Content Manager Assistant”, Installer must quit and reopen. I hit "OK". The program quits. I get the Installer quit unexpectedly dialog box. I hit reopen. The installer starts up, but keeps looking for folder after folder no matter what I folder I direct it to. If you have any tips, please let me know.

patsu

Shameful admission: I've never actually used Twitter. I made a Twitter account years ago but never had any use for it. Maybe it's time I gave it a try. :p

I don't use Twitter until I use LiveTweet too ! ^_^

It's dead simple to use. I recommend following yosp (Yoshida Shuhei). Then pan out from there.

patsu

Unfortunately, not for me. I deleted the old CMA. The Apple installer will open the CMAIntaller.pkg and then it does the: To open “Content Manager Assistant”, Installer must quit and reopen. I hit "OK". The program quits. I get the Installer quit unexpectedly dialog box. I hit reopen. The installer starts up, but keeps looking for folder after folder no matter what I folder I direct it to. If you have any tips, please let me know.

Your filesystem may be screwed up. See if the CMA folders are linked to themselves, causing an infinite folder structure.

It does sound like you ML install is unstable.

Carl

Yeah, if only it can come out here -_-

Shu says it's coming soon. So maybe sometime in the next few years.

The gem of Vita apps is LiveTweet. I use it exclusively for following twitters. I don't even bother with twitter on other devices.

YouTube is very nice too, but it needs a few more features for heavy users.

Yeah i love LiveTweet. Said before that i want it on my phone >_> Would even pay for it.

RoeBear

I've had the vita now for a couple of days now. I took my first one back and replaced it cause there was a spot with a large red pixel that was really bugging me. Now with this new one I've noticed the screen seems to be made up of just like a ton of little lines. I really notice this with Disgaea 3 and MGS HD collection. Is this normal? Also, I've just now noticed another spot with a pixel that is just blue. Should I get this one replaced as well. The store will replace it since I've bought it within 15 days, but should I?

8byte

Banned
Does anyone know what the performance differences are (battery) between Vita software and PSP / PS1 software? Is it pretty significant?

Copenap

Wow, just finished TO:LUCT, FINALLY! Took me nearly 40 hours and to be honest the last like 10 burned me really out on this game. The ending was well worth pulling through though, but I doubt I will revisit the Anchor Points using the Tarot anytime son.

Vitacat

I've had the vita now for a couple of days now. I took my first one back and replaced it cause there was a spot with a large red pixel that was really bugging me. Now with this new one I've noticed the screen seems to be made up of just like a ton of little lines. I really notice this with Disgaea 3 and MGS HD collection. Is this normal? Also, I've just now noticed another spot with a pixel that is just blue. Should I get this one replaced as well. The store will replace it since I've bought it within 15 days, but should I?

If it distracts you from enjoying your expensive handheld, yes, exchange it until you get one that is satisfactory.

My first Vita had a defective L shoulder button (creaked and could feel the plastic beneath giving out) so I sent it back to Newegg for refund. I didn't do an exchange, but instead bought a new one at Best Buy (Madden deal was sweet) and now have a perfect Vita. Love it.

Exercise your rights as a consumer. You paid good money, you deserve a good product.

NOTE: both of the Vitas I went thru had perfect screens. I've read about people getting lines on their screen, but that's not normal.

Toki767

Does anyone know what the performance differences are (battery) between Vita software and PSP / PS1 software? Is it pretty significant?

Off the top of my head, it's supposedly like 3 hours for Vita games depending on the game and 5-6 hours for PSP games.

Uh not normal as far as i know. I'd exchange. Fuck that brand new and it has a problem.

Sid

Yes,i think a few others have reported the same problem earlier regarding scanlines,it's defective exchange it and keep doing that until you get what you paid for-a perfect VITA.

Wow, just finished TO:LUCT, FINALLY! Took me nearly 40 hours and to be honest the last like 10 burned me really out on this game. The ending was well worth pulling through though, but I doubt I will revisit the Anchor Points using the Tarot anytime son.

Congrats! I still need to start that game. 40 hours is a long time. :(

RoeBear

Awesome thanks everyone. I got it at a BX and electronics never move well there. the first one I got from them had a battery life of about two hours with no apps running and I knew that wasn't right.

Off the top of my head, it's supposedly like 3 hours for Vita games depending on the game and 5-6 hours for PSP games.
I get better than that... I average 4+ hours on Vita games (unless I'm playing online) and 6 hours or more with PSP or PSX titles.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's not a CMA issue. That's a problem with your ML. I'd say delete ANY trace of CMA except for a backup of your files. Then restart your Mac. Then try installing CMA from scratch again.

Rasec

About this scan lines talk, especially mine i see it on the top of the screen and in games like gravity rush. I also have a dead pixel that looks blue.

Is this covered by the warranty?
For now this doesn't make me stop playing or annoying me but i think if without those lines if the experience of the screen is a lot better or not.

I see everyone talk the screen is beautiful but i don't see anything that beautiful or maybe my contact with ipad 2 or imac made me immune.

Roubjon

So my Vita's left analog feels more loose than the right one. Also, my left trigger is more mushy than my right trigger. Both of the triggers have to be pressed down relatively hard in order for them to register. A third thing, the increase volume button is always slightly pushed in. Are these common "problems" or is my vita just an imperfect baby?

Copenap

Story sucks you in the game?
Well yes and no. The story is really complex and confusing in the beginning but you'll wanne know hot it continous and your choices have an heavy effect on the outcome.

What bothered me were the later parts of the game where you have lots of battles in a row without bits of story and one battle can easily take half an hour or even more.

Well yes and no. The story is really complex and confusing in the beginning but you'll wanne know hot it continous and your choices have an heavy effect on the outcome.

What bothered me were the later parts of the game where you have lots of battles in a row without bits of story and one battle can easily take half an hour or even more.

Oh shit, I'll prepare myself for those battles then, are they obligatory?

Rasec

Oh man you have a dead pixel? :/ I don't know what european warranty policy says about dead pixels.

Yup T_T
I only noticed it a month later when playing uncharted and the screen was all black.
Not sure what to do about it but i might try to call sony and ask them.
Let's see if the warranty covers it.

Yup T_T
I only noticed it a month later when playing uncharted and the screen was all black.
Not sure what to do about it but i might try to call sony and ask them.
Let's see if the warranty covers it.

Hmmmm, sometimes you can manage to find programs that will unstick pixels... I think sometimes there are animated gifs on websites -- maybe you could use one of those in the VITA browser as a fix? But only if it's stuck a certain color (red/blue/green/etc.) and not actually *dead*.

Something like this might work in the youtube app.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMySLZkF5o

Takao

Banned
Damn that new video by Jimy STrolling really ticked me off

Does Jim Sterling not know that Apple products have firmware updates, and there is no piracy scene on Vita? lol He's right to criticize SCEA for this god fucking awful treatment of the platform thus far, but criticizing the entire company, as well as bringing in random things is just a tad unwarranted.

Vitacat

OK, I really need help.

I tried to backup my Vita for the first time today. I have about 12GB used on my 32GB card.

I'm backing up to my PC with CMA installed. The backup starts, but toward the end an error message pops up on my Vita (Code C0-11019-2) and says "Could not back up the data." Although I can see about 10.6GB of files were copied to my PC, my Vita's Content Manager says there is no backup on my PC.

I tried this twice and same thing happened. It takes about an hour to do, so I can't keep trying over and over.

Any idea what's wrong? My PC is running Windows 7 64bit, and is very stable and relatively new.

Kazerei

Banned
I'm near platinum in Virtua Tennis 4. Just two online trophies left: win 3 in a row, and reach rank A. Someone please help me ;_;

P90

That's not a CMA issue. That's a problem with your ML. I'd say delete ANY trace of CMA except for a backup of your files. Then restart your Mac. Then try installing CMA from scratch again.

I erased the program earlier. Where are the/what other files do I need to delete? Thanks for your help!

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'm near platinum in Virtua Tennis 4. Just two online trophies left: win 3 in a row, and reach rank A. Someone please help me ;_;
I don't have an internet connection to help you out, but I'm rooting for you. I'm hoping to get my platinum before Virtua Tennis 5 is released.

patsu

I erased the program earlier. Where are the/what other files do I need to delete? Thanks for your help!

Look at the CMA preferences. Try to backup and remove those folders.

If you want to catch all, open Terminal.app and run "lsof <process id of CMA>"

However since ML caused issues with your other software, I highly recommend backing up all your files and do a clean install.

You should find ML run much more reliably and quickly. I have it on my brand new MBA and it's been problem free so far.

Vitacat

Question about backups to PC.

Once you've successully made a backup, do subsequent backups augment the backups with whatever is new, or do they completely re-backup everything?

I'm asking because backing up a full 32GB apparently can take around 3 hours by my calculations. I hope to god that Content Manager is smart enough to only backup new or changed items only.

Sid

So my Vita's left analog feels more loose than the right one. Also, my left trigger is more mushy than my right trigger. Both of the triggers have to be pressed down relatively hard in order for them to register. A third thing, the increase volume button is always slightly pushed in. Are these common "problems" or is my vita just an imperfect baby?
IDK doesn't seem too serious,you may want to get it replaced if you can

patsu

When I copy the files selectively, CMA will warn me if an identical back up for the game exists. I could overwrite or skip the game. I could also apply my decision to subsequent games if I backed them up together.

Rasec

Hmmmm, sometimes you can manage to find programs that will unstick pixels... I think sometimes there are animated gifs on websites -- maybe you could use one of those in the VITA browser as a fix? But only if it's stuck a certain color (red/blue/green/etc.) and not actually *dead*.

Something like this might work in the youtube app.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMySLZkF5o

Thanks a lot for that info. Well, i think a dead pixel shouldn't be blue but i'm no expert on that.
Now there's a slight problem in that, is that SCEE still hasn't launched the youtube app in my country. Don't know why.

Well, i'll download the video and try that way. i'll say something later.

Question about backups to PC.

Once you've successully made a backup, do subsequent backups augment the backups with whatever is new, or do they completely re-backup everything?

I'm asking because backing up a full 32GB apparently can take around 3 hours by my calculations. I hope to god that Content Manager is smart enough to only backup new or changed items only.

Its a full back up each time. Your better off backing up apps individually and then you can just over write each one as and when needed.

Full back up is prob really designed for when you want to do things lke transfer to a bigger card.

Vitacat

Its a full back up each time. Your better off backing up apps individually and then you can just over write each one as and when needed.

Full back up is prob really designed for when you want to do things lke transfer to a bigger card.

I hear ya.

Well, I want to do the full backup mainly to also backup my Vita system files and settings. I don't think there's another way to do that. Or am I misunderstanding things?

StuBurns

Banned
The PS1 BC is not great based on MGS, occasional loading hangs (it displays a little loading disc icon), and the audio/visuals get out of sync frequently. Disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom