• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleBlade

So i was just randomly browsing YouTube because i am pretty bored and can't be arsed to play on a game.

Anyway i stumbled upon the Black Ops Declassified video which now is almost at 300,000 views and there are actually people saying it looks good!
Personally, I think it looks fine. It does look a little too much like a Resistance: Burning Skies expansion. However, I think Resistance: BS was a tad under-rated. The graphics in Resistance: BS were fine and at times actually good especially when compared to other portable games. I mean it looks better then the vast majority of PS2/Xbox 1 shooters. The guns/weapons were actually more fun then any shooter not named Resistance. The story was about average for the genre. What really hurt Burning Skies were little things that could easily be fixed in Black Ops Declassified (Tinny sounds, Horrible compression in the cut scenes, being able to jump while running).

I plan on getting Black Ops Declassified, not because I think it'll be amazing, but because I know it will be a serviceable FPS approaching the quality of a console FPS and is something that i can play on a portable where the bulk of my gaming is occurring these days. I'm sure it'll get 5's and 6's for reviews, partly because of the negative hype it has even though it will probably deserve 7's.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Reason Black Ops PSP2 looks bad is because they're going for 60FPS. No way they could put PS3 assets on the PSP2 without it going to 30FPS, I wager.

I'm interested in it if it handles sprinting better than Resistance's demo. Sprinting with the back pad was awkward and I think down on the D-pad is nice but not practical in multiplayer.

Sid

TheSeks

PS1 games actually don't look bad when using the full screen feature. I think I'll stick with that option

ASPECT RATIO.jpg

D: And I thought you were better than that Olimpia...

@post above: Ah, dunno then. CoD on consoles aims for 60FPS so I wouldn't be surprised if that was their goal but if it isn't, weird.

Then again Resistance isn't much of a looker either.

Even if you love CoD it's hard to deny that trailer isn't very promising

But hey, on the bright side...if it's successful and sells well, Activision may put more resources their way next year. Hell, Nihilistic might even earn enough money to make a half decent game if it sells well

Maybe.

I don't care about grafix, but 4v4? Cmon Nihilistic.

I really want to give PSX games on my Vita a try. Is it silly for me to be waiting for a sale? I figured I would wait till the next update.
I also can't decide between Twisted Metal 2, MediEvil or just waiting for some Spyro to be compatible

Carl

I really want to give PSX games on my Vita a try. Is it silly for me to be waiting for a sale? I figured I would wait till the next update.
I also can't decide between Twisted Metal 2, MediEvil or just waiting for some Spyro to be compatible

If you're in Europe, we should have a PSOne sale this week.

(If in the US, good luck!) Just buy MediEvil and TM2 ;)

VanWinkle

Reason Black Ops PSP2 looks bad is because they're going for 60FPS. No way they could put PS3 assets on the PSP2 without it going to 30FPS, I wager.

I'm interested in it if it handles sprinting better than Resistance's demo. Sprinting with the back pad was awkward and I think down on the D-pad is nice but not practical in multiplayer.

Don't know why you just assumed that. The biggest proof of no 60fps is that it looks exactly like Resistance:BS, which at times struggled to even maintain 30fps. Not to mention absolutely nobody has said anything about the developers going for 60fps.

Carl

Don't know why you just assumed that. The biggest proof of no 60fps is that it looks exactly like Resistance:BS, which at times struggled to even maintain 30fps. Not to mention absolutely nobody has said anything about the developers going for 60fps.

On the contrary, it's been confirmed it's currently 30FPS :p

TheSeks

So, is Dungeon Hunter/Diablo-like-Clone from Gameloft worth it? I'm kinda having fun with the demo but if the online is dead... :/

(I kinda wish I could just hold X for attackattackattack like Diablo's hold left mouse-button on enemy ATTACKATTACKATTACK. :/)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If you're in Europe, we should have a PSOne sale this week.

(If in the US, good luck!) Just buy MediEvil and TM2 ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I want a PSOne sale :(

Tambini

So, is Dungeon Hunter/Diablo-like-Clone from Gameloft worth it? I'm kinda having fun with the demo but if the online is dead... :/

(I kinda wish I could just hold X for attackattackattack like Diablo's hold left mouse-button on enemy ATTACKATTACKATTACK. :/)

I had a lot of fun with it at launch, if you're really into diablo games like me, the shortcomings aren't too hard to look past, and it wasn't too hard to find a game online.

Unfortunately I was only borrowing the game so I can't tell you how active the online is anymore. I can tell you it was boring in single player in comparison though.

P90

Oh, welcome back, OmegaZero!

Contacting is probably your best bet, even if the response isn't too quick.

After a few emails back and forth, Sony's final response was "Sorry, but we can't help you" and implied I don't ask for any further help from them. :( I think I will email a few notches up in the food chain and see what happens.

After spending a few days with all my PS1 games on fullscreen mode, I think I am going back to Normal. At first I was really excited about having the entire screen filled up, but I began to notice it was adding a muddiness to the colors and overall image quality, besides the obvious stretching of the aspect ratio. Now I am really noticing how nice this screen is. With the reds in particular really popping out at me.

Vita is also allowing me to easily play my PS1 games using headphones. Using a reciever with speakers throughout my PS1 years, I never really noticed a lot of the stereo effects going on. And stuff like RE2 and Silent Hill seem even better this way. It also adds a certain level of intimacy to my gaming experience that envelopes you.

Oh, and if anyone is having a goofy issue with FF VIII's controls, such as not being able to press a button for the text to continue...stop pressing the back touchpad L2/R2 at the same time. I was pressing them on accident and this wouldn't allow me to use the menus properly. I thought I just had to press harder, but that wasn't it. Just have to keep my fingers off the back touchpad and everything is fine.

pixelbox

I passed Tomb Raider savegame from PS Vita to PS3, and it works.

But, really, on PS Vita this game looks so much better than how it looks on PS3.
Not only that, it feels like it breathed new life into that game. And it has just the right length of gameplay to make it portable. I think 30 minutes of gameplay per level is the right length for portable gaming.

RpgN

:D Sound Shapes is brilliant. Hell, even my girlfriend loves it and she's not a game person at all.

That doesn't surprise, with how inviting and very accessible the game is. Do we know how much the game sold and wether it's considered a success?

I've noticed something about my Vita collection, for the most part they have been original games, playing games outside my comfort zone has been pretty risky. What with games like Unit-13, Lumines, Escape Plan, Gravity Rush, Shinobido 2, Everybody's Golf, Little Deviants, Motorstorm RC, Virtua Tennis 4, Sound Shapes etc. Those are all games that are original or me trying a franchise out for the first time.

Then we have games left that I've dismissed before owning a Vita. Uncharted Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048 and Super Stardust Delta fall under this list. Prior to playing them, they did look as if they were exact copies and even as if they were ports. Looks are deceiving though, WipEout and Super Stardust Delta are very competent and in many ways could be considered the ultimate versions along with Lumines and Everybody's Golf. Uncharted being a very solid entry, I definitely had more fun on it than Uncharted 1 and people seem to prefer it over Uncharted 3 as well.

There was a chance I would hate a lot of those games, but somehow it was all positive. I've been so positive on the games and the Vita, that it all feels surreal and too good to be true. Not sure why I'm acting like a little kid that never held a gaming system before :p I've never been this positive on a system before, the gamecube being the closest comparison for being my first console...And then you read all these doom and gloom comments. Strange world we live in!

After a few emails back and forth, Sony's final response was "Sorry, but we can't help you" and implied I don't ask for any further help from them. :( I think I will email a few notches up in the food chain and see what happens.

That's... surprisingly what I expected. ): Did you maaaybe try deleting the file manually? C:\Program Files\Sony\Content Manager Assistant?

I wish I was good with this technical stuff.

patsu

That's... surprisingly what I expected. ): Did you maaaybe try deleting the file manually? C:program FilesSonyContent Manager Assistant?

I wish I was good with this technical stuff.

Since ML doesn't work for his other Mac software, it is more likely an install issue. It is known that a clean install produces more stable result. Check the Mac support forum for similar reports (I saw 'em 2 weeks ago). It's a rare problem.

Gah, I just lend my vita to a friend so he could watch a video and he was sitting at the side of the street with it on his lap. Made a sudden move and fell. It wasn't a long fall, but there's a chip on its side now. I'm never ever lending anything to anyone. Not even my mother.

Since ML doesn't work for his other Mac software, it is more likely an install issue. It is known that a clean install produces more stable result. Check the Mac support forum for similar reports (I saw 'em 2 weeks ago). It's a rare problem.

Ohh, I forgot they were using a Mac. I should get some rest, I'm messing too much stuff up today.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
We do? What games will be on sale?

I just bought some PS One titles and get the feeling I should have waited.

We don't know, week before the update we got hints there might be a sale, then on the day Eurogamer posted an article about a 99p sale and the guys on the blog said they were sorting PS1 deals out for us, and said they hope to get something up this week.

Marz

Madden is very popular.

If you want a Vita, get the Best Buy Madden deal, and just trade Madden to them right there in the store. I did. You'll get $24 for Madden. So that's $74 in BB gift cards plus a Vita for $250. Great deal.

I got a Vita at launch:). I still kinda play it sometimes....

Carl

That doesn't surprise, with how inviting and very accessible the game is. Do we know how much the game sold and wether it's considered a success?

They never say anything about sales. It's had 10,000 community levels, but that isn't much of a measure of success, since many people won't make levels, and some will make loads. Doubt we'll ever know how successful it is.

We do? What games will be on sale?

I just bought some PS One titles and get the feeling I should have waited.

Nope, we just know there should be one this week.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I think you make a lot of good points; I work in games retail and there's 2 sticking points for people with the Vita (at least from my experience) being the price and the library.

For what you get for your money, it's worth it. But people can't afford to put down £200+ for a handheld system when the game's are £25+ on top of that in addition to a memory card.

There are some good games for it but nothing, yet, with the broad appeal of a Mario or Professor Layton title. I hope that Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed inspire people to pick up the console, and show developers that it's worth putting things out for the system.

If there's an enormous PS1 sale then that could really help as well.

-nod- It's funny, because I always kinda snickered at Sony's "It only does EVERYTHING" Marketing Campaign for PS3... but I DO get that feeling with Vita, with all the crossplay and multi-library stuff, now. While no single game is Mario or Layton like (I'd argue nothing Sony has is THAT big, mass appeal-wise), it should be easy to offset singular quality with quantity.

I wrote on my site the other day that I think it's a bummer there isn't a 25th Anniversay Final Fantasy edition of the Vita. Forget about 7-9, with the PSP port of FFIII coming out shortly, they could include vouchers for Vita compatible versions for literally every mainline Final Fantasy from 1-9. And they've already committed to FFX HD on Vita which could lead to FFXII. Vita is the Final Fantasy jukebox I've always wanted.

Haha, I was thinking about the "Every FF EVER!" option, but figured I'd aim at a "Possible to release for around the base price" model. But with the recent FF complete collection thing they announced, such a pack as the one you mention would be great. Might as well throw Crisis Core in there, too! And it's not like Disiddia Series is available anywhere else, either.

Maybe they should even start posting "Vita Ready!" or something on sales of Digital PSP new releases in Japan... even drastic pricecuts on the PSP back-catalog (Making re-buying much less a hassle), and an update to make Media Go work with Vita, for easy save file transfers, would help shift PSP owners to Vita with much less issue...

patsu

Gah, I just lend my vita to a friend so he could watch a video and he was sitting at the side of the street with it on his lap. Made a sudden move and fell. It wasn't a long fall, but there's a chip on its side now. I'm never ever lending anything to anyone. Not even my mother.

Oh drop it a few more times and you would lend it to anyone again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I had this issue with ML. Surprised it hasn't been solved yet.

Go to Sony's site. Download the CMA like you never installed it before. Install it. It should work.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think he said he has tried installing a few times.

That sucks then. I never uninstalled it. I just installed it from scratch. I had my Vita plugged in my Mac, too.

patsu

That sucks then. I never uninstalled it. I just installed it from scratch. I had my Vita plugged in my Mac, too.

Yes, works for me too, including the expected crash. I didn't look at the Console log to see what caused the expected crash during installation. Perhaps a deprecated API or sandbox violation ?

After install, it works like clockwork.

he loves his Vita..

0zTns.jpg

Yeah, if only it can come out here -_-

Vitacat

-nod- It's funny, because I always kinda snickered at Sony's "It only does EVERYTHING" Marketing Campaign for PS3... but I DO get that feeling with Vita, with all the crossplay and multi-library stuff, now. While no single game is Mario or Layton like (I'd argue nothing Sony has is THAT big, mass appeal-wise), it should be easy to offset singular quality with quantity.

I've actually found myself using my Vita like a mini-tablet. I have an iPad 3, but taking the Vita along is easier, and it has a decent enough browser for basic stuff, a solid Youtube app, and decent Facebook app. And yeah, the library is pretty cool, with all the Vita/PSP/PS1/PSN games available.

As for "mass appeal," I have no doubt you're right about Mario and Layton, but for my tastes, Wipeout and Gravity Rush are more interesting games. In fact I'm tired of Mario -- have been since 64. Layton, now that IS a great game. If I buy a 3DS XL someday, it will be for Layton and Fire Emblem.

Vitacat

patsu

The gem of Vita apps is LiveTweet. I use it exclusively for following twitters. I don't even bother with twitter on other devices.

YouTube is very nice too, but it needs a few more features for heavy users.

Vitacat

The gem of Vita apps is LiveTweet. I use it exclusively for following twitters. I don't even bother with twitter on other devices.

YouTube is very nice too, but it needs a few more features for heavy users.

Shameful admission: I've never actually used Twitter. I made a Twitter account years ago but never had any use for it. Maybe it's time I gave it a try. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom