• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I don't enjoy sports games too much but I'm tempted to pick up both Hot Shots Golf and Virtua Tennis 4 during the sale. Just one question though - how is the character creator mode in VT4? Do you have to use a camera to map your character's face or are there other options?

Grab Hot Shots Golf.... It's really fun!

spannicus

left4dead 1 and 2 port would be awesome

on a side note, really enjoying hot shots and virtua tennis
I'd take any zombie game especially Dead Nation. Housemarque did great with SSDD, They told me that Sony owns the IP and if Sony wanted them to make it they would. Everything seems to fall in the lap of SCEA when it comes to the Vita getting software.

Ein Bear

left4dead 1 and 2 port would be awesome

on a side note, really enjoying hot shots and virtua tennis

ANYTHING Valve would be welcome. Remember that E3 when Gabe came on stage and made a big deal about how great Sony were to work with, and how fantastic Steam integration would be on Sony platforms?

Yeah. We got a free PC copy of Portal 2 and that's it.

Has anyone purchased a vita from amazon's warehouse deals used? They're $163 and listed as good but some people on slickdeals were saying they got systems that were like brand new looking when they bought them. Has anyone tried them? I'm just worried about getting one with a scratched up screen.

arimanius

PS+ might just be the thing to get you back into using your PS3 with all the free games they've been giving away. The vita deals are just more incentive.

Maybe. With a kid my gaming time has turned into needing to be mobile. I might do the 3 month PSN+ to try it out. The free games are a pretty big incentive. They are only free if you are actively subscribe to PSN+ right?

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Has anyone purchased a vita from amazon's warehouse deals used? They're $163 and listed as good but some people on slickdeals were saying they got systems that were like brand new looking when they bought them. Has anyone tried them? I'm just worried about getting one with a scratched up screen.

I believe there were a couple of GAFfers that went that route. IIRC, they mentioned the packaging being a little dented, but the Vitas were like brand new.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Maybe. With a kid my gaming time has turned into needing to be mobile. I might do the 3 month PSN+ to try it out. The free games are a pretty big incentive. They are only free if you are actively subscribe to PSN+ right?

Yes, free for as long as you're a subscriber.

jack.

Banned

I bought one of the $163 "good" ones and the box showed some wear but the Vita itself and all of the accessories looked brand new. The screen was completely flawless. I would go for it. Even if you do get a bad one for some reason you shouldn't have any problem getting Amazon to take it back.

sajj316

This is mine. I love Foosball. Mandatory 1 game a day at work to keep sane. We actually have a budget to maintain the Foosball table.

I bought one of the $163 "good" ones and the box showed some wear but the Vita itself and all of the accessories looked brand new. The screen was completely flawless. I would go for it. Even if you do get a bad one for some reason you shouldn't have any problem getting Amazon to take it back.

Amazon is pretty easy going about sending it back? $163 is a price I can definitely jump even if there are few games I want right now. I don't mind the box, just literally the screen.

Interesting tidbit, I was reading the @gamer magazine for this month and they had a review for Retro City Rampage (4.5/5). Got me wondering if it is really close to release since there is obviously review codes out there, or did those codes get sent too early, not expecting Microsoft to block the release?

jack.

Banned
Amazon is pretty easy going about sending it back? $163 is a price I can definitely jump even if there are few games I want right now. I don't mind the box, just literally the screen.

I believe you have 30 days to return it no questions asked. I've returned Warehouse stuff before and I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon's customer service department.

OmegaZero

Gah, I've been stuck on Jin's 14th challenge for a few days now. Booted up Blazblue CS+ and remembered why.

It's always the j.C>j.2C>dash>5B that gets me, since I either pull off the j.C>j.2C, land and dash only to find that Bang has already recovered and blocks my 5B or land and mess-up on the dash, making the 5B come out too late. :/

Cloudy

Banned

That's a great price. Why not buy it. Their return policy with next-day exchanges is pretty awesome so I don't see the downside

I believe you have 30 days to return it no questions asked. I've returned Warehouse stuff before and I've had nothing but good experiences with Amazon's customer service department.

That's a great price. Why not buy it. Their return policy with next-day exchanges is pretty awesome so I don't see the downside

Do you have to pay for shipping back? Can you literally just say the screen is scratched?

KAL2006

Banned
Apparently I played VT4 for 7hours last night. That game is so damn good! :)

Yep, one of my most played games. I only bought VT4 due to it being on sale and straight after purchasing I had buyers remorse thinking why the hell did I buy a tennis game just cause it was on sale. Now I am playing the hell out of it. It seems VT4 is the perfect game for a handheld, can have a quick few games here and there.

Carl

FOOSBALL 2012 - July 24

You’ll be able to scratch that foosball itch on July 24th, when the game launches on the PlayStation Store. It will cost you only $7.99 for which will get both the PS3 version and the PS Vita version, so you’ll be able to fully enjoy the awesome cross-platform features we have implemented in the game. PlayStation Plus subscribers will enjoy a limited-time discount, netting the game for just $5.99!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/18/foosball-2012-flipping-on-to-ps3-and-ps-vita-next-tuesday/

Only 5.99? Bought

Actually sounds pretty good. Buy Once Get Both makes it even better

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Man, Virtua Tennis 4 players are really boring. Everybody's a stock character with a believable sounding name. Nobody can match up to Santo.

ciCQU.jpg
jIpVk.jpg

Didn't see this posted yet, Beck has contributed 3 songs to Sounds Shapes. Article http://pitchfork.com/news/47191-beck-contributes-three-new-songs-to-video-game/

The new music-based video game Sound Shapes for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita features three new Beck songs: "Cities", "Touch the People", and "Spiral Staircase". Each track serves as its own level in the game, which mixes music creation with game play. (The game also features music by deadmau5, Jim Guthrie, and I Am Robot and Proud.) Beck's portion of the game was designed by Pyramid Attack. Sound Shapes is out August 7.

Edit: anyone know anything about pyramid attack's work?

kiyomi

Good to see MLB on the EU store - anyone know the download size?

My Vita is late, it's arriving tomorrow, was meant to be here today :(

Ordered Gravity Rush though. Succumed to the hype.

Carl

While playing foosball in person could be fun, I'm just not sure how well it will translate to a videogame.

Yep, definitely one to keep an eye on though.

Dont forget to dowload Mutant Blobs Attack and/or Velocity ;_;

You got Gravity Rush?

vAmgw.gif

And the Vita is worth the wait, don't worry. Having to wait an extra day will make your experience better, I feel.

I don't enjoy sports games too much but I'm tempted to pick up both Hot Shots Golf and Virtua Tennis 4 during the sale. Just one question though - how is the character creator mode in VT4? Do you have to use a camera to map your character's face or are there other options?

The camera thing is optional. You are also given the option of using a stock character and editing that instead. By the way, I think I was in the character creation menus for over a hour... lol

Still not satisfied! I may go back in and tinker some more. Lunch has inspired me! LOL

I still haven't quite gotten used to the blotches on my Vita's screen that show up when I'm playing in the dark. They show up in some parts of games too, like the part in MGS3 where you're navigating through that really dark cave. At first I couldn't tell if it was part of the game or not but eventually I realized it was just my screen. Oh well, at least they don't show up most of the time.

Moreso than blotches (which my Vita barely has) - am I the only one concerned with blue color degradation of oled tech? Seeing blue is a primary color and all? I researched this trait of oled's prior to February launch, picked up my unit on launch and it's super crisp, well the replacement unit is (exchanged for one without vertical lines) - but over time, is this a worry to anyone?

"The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.[56] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.[57][58] However, some manufacturers' displays aim to increase the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing their expected life past that of LCD displays by improving light outcoupling, thus achieving the same brightness at a lower drive current.[59][60] In 2007, experimental OLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m2 of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[61]
Improvements to the efficiency and lifetime of blue OLEDs is vital to the success of OLEDs as replacements for LCD technology. Considerable research has been invested in developing blue OLEDs with high external quantum efficiency as well as a deeper blue color.[63][64] External quantum efficiency values of 20% and 19% have been reported for red (625 nm) and green (530 nm) diodes, respectively.[65][66] However, blue diodes (430 nm) have only been able to achieve maximum external quantum efficiencies in the range of 4% to 6%.[67]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

I do love the sumptuous display, I just hope a few years down the road it will look as good as it once did/should...

Moreso than blotches (which my Vita barely has) - am I the only one concerned with blue color degradation of oled tech? Seeing blue is a primary color and all? I researched this trait of oled's prior to February launch, picked up my unit on launch and it's super crisp, well the replacement unit is (exchanged for one without vertical lines) - but over time, is this a worry to anyone?

"The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.[56] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.[57][58] However, some manufacturers' displays aim to increase the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing their expected life past that of LCD displays by improving light outcoupling, thus achieving the same brightness at a lower drive current.[59][60] In 2007, experimental OLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m2 of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[61]"

And

"Improvements to the efficiency and lifetime of blue OLEDs is vital to the success of OLEDs as replacements for LCD technology. Considerable research has been invested in developing blue OLEDs with high external quantum efficiency as well as a deeper blue color.[63][64] External quantum efficiency values of 20% and 19% have been reported for red (625 nm) and green (530 nm) diodes, respectively.[65][66] However, blue diodes (430 nm) have only been able to achieve maximum external quantum efficiencies in the range of 4% to 6%.[67]"

I do love the sumptuous display, I just hope a few years down the road it will look as good as it once did/should...

8 hours a day for five years or so? Your non-replaceable battery will have given out long before then, and the analog sticks will have worn out as well.

Cornbread78

"The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials.[56] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology—each currently rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model.[57][58] However, some manufacturers' displays aim to increase the lifespan of OLED displays, pushing their expected life past that of LCD displays by improving light outcoupling, thus achieving the same brightness at a lower drive current.[59][60] In 2007, experimental OLEDs were created which can sustain 400 cd/m2 of luminance for over 198,000 hours for green OLEDs and 62,000 hours for blue OLEDs.[61]
Improvements to the efficiency and lifetime of blue OLEDs is vital to the success of OLEDs as replacements for LCD technology. Considerable research has been invested in developing blue OLEDs with high external quantum efficiency as well as a deeper blue color.[63][64] External quantum efficiency values of 20% and 19% have been reported for red (625 nm) and green (530 nm) diodes, respectively.[65][66] However, blue diodes (430 nm) have only been able to achieve maximum external quantum efficiencies in the range of 4% to 6%.[67]"

(five years at 8 hours a day)

Yeah, I think I'll get my monies worth if I hit that mark.

I've had no issues with mine, and I'm well over the 200-300 hour mark by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom