• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wouwie

Yes perfectly
Yes - go to menu and catch the upper right corner of screen and make a closing move
Hmm probably yes - generally it has tendencies to disconnect in many cases due to very agressive power saving presets.

Thanks a lot michaelius (and others) for the answers. I didn't know you could close a game that way. Exactly what i was looking for.

I wish i bought Virtua Tennis in the eu sales. From watching a review on youtube, i got the impression that it was touch based so i decided not to buy.

Puddle is coming on 1 August. Seems like an interesting game.

8 hours a day for five years or so? Your non-replaceable battery will have given out long before then, and the analog sticks will have worn out as well.

When put like this, my worries sound silly... :p

I do love that screen!

To sound even more like a weirdo, I consciously play with the analogs softly, as I don't want them to wear out. They seem so fragile :)

My left shoulder button is sticking though, lately. I noticed it when playing Resistance.

On a side note, I'm VERY excited for fall, so far have Persona 4 (will be my first persona experience), Assassins Creed 3 Liberation and Little Big Planet reserved. I want to add SFxTekken and Sly Copper to the list, as well.

Has anyone purchased a vita from amazon's warehouse deals used? They're $163 and listed as good but some people on slickdeals were saying they got systems that were like brand new looking when they bought them. Has anyone tried them? I'm just worried about getting one with a scratched up screen.

I bought one of the $163 from AWD listed as "good", and although the box was beat up quite a bit...the Vita itself looked brand new, not even a fingerprint or anything. It made me think that they base the condition on the packaging and not the contents..

I bought one of the $163 from AWD listed as "good", and although the box was beat up quite a bit...the Vita itself looked brand new, not even a fingerprint or anything. It made me think that they base the condition on the packaging and not the contents..

Dang, I might just crack and buy it then. :(

dsigns1

You got Gravity Rush?

gr.jpg

And the Vita is worth the wait, don't worry. Having to wait an extra day will make your experience better, I feel.

Fixed

patsu

Maybe. With a kid my gaming time has turned into needing to be mobile. I might do the 3 month PSN+ to try it out. The free games are a pretty big incentive. They are only free if you are actively subscribe to PSN+ right?

Yeah... I prefer to play on my Vita even when I'm at home these days partly because of the kid.

Sometimes I punish him by taking away his playtime on PS3 and iPad. Makes me feel bad if I turn them on in front of him.

The Vita is my personal machine. He doesn't get to use it anyway (It's pin locked). So he doesn't feel bad when I use my Vita. ^_^

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The camera thing is optional. You are also given the option of using a stock character and editing that instead. By the way, I think I was in the character creation menus for over a hour... lol

Still not satisfied! I may go back in and tinker some more. Lunch has inspired me! LOL
Do itttt. I want to see awesome VT4 characters, and it'll make online matches more fun!

dsigns1

The camera thing is optional. You are also given the option of using a stock character and editing that instead. By the way, I think I was in the character creation menus for over a hour... lol

Still not satisfied! I may go back in and tinker some more. Lunch has inspired me! LOL

Didnt know it had character creation. Well that sold me on it. Downloading now.

After playing Train Simulator 2012 for an hour, I feel this game would do well on the Vita. Sure, the screen wouldn't represent what driving a train would be like but it'd be great fun!
I'm kidding of course I spent 30 minutes trying to start it.

That is incredible.

Lucent

8 hours a day for five years or so? Your non-replaceable battery will have given out long before then, and the analog sticks will have worn out as well.

It kinda sucks that they did that. I hope they offer some way to replace the battery and/or offer an add-on battery so if your Vita is super lucky and withstands the test of time in every other way, you can keep it juiced up.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
From what I understand about the game, peoples' custom creations can show up in your single player career mode. That has so much possibility for awesomeness.
Way too many people born in the 80s with Japanese names in the single-player online guest mode. :(

After playing Train Simulator 2012 for an hour, I feel this game would do well on the Vita. Sure, the screen wouldn't represent what driving a train would be like but it'd be great fun!
I'm kidding of course I spent 30 minutes trying to start it.
Farming Simulator 3D was my most anticipated 3DS game (THANKS NORTH AMERICA), so I'd be so behind this.

subtles

I am still contemplating whether I should buy a Vita with Gravity Rush now or wait till Persona 4 comes out this Fall and get the system then. However, I am not exactly sure whether to go for the 16 GB or 32 GB memory card. I do want to get Atlus' Persona collection, a few PSP games as well as quite a few PSOne titles, and personally have no problem buying Vita games at Retail. My question essentially is this, should I get a 32 GB memory card so I don't have to worry about storage for a while or will a 16 GB card do just fine? Thanks in advance. (And yes, I will get Velocity + Mutant Blobs attack when I do eventually purchase the system.)

Lucent

getting gravity rush isn't anything to celebrate over.

>_>

I am still contemplating whether I should buy a Vita with Gravity Rush now or wait till Persona 4 comes out this Fall and get the system then. However, I am not exactly sure whether to go for the 16 GB or 32 GB memory card. I do want to get Atlus' Persona collection, a few PSP games as well as quite a few PSOne titles, and personally have no problem buying Vita games at Retail. My question essentially is this, should I get a 32 GB memory card so I don't have to worry about storage for a while or will a 16 GB card do just fine? Thanks in advance. (And yes, I will get Velocity + Mutant Blobs attack when I do eventually purchase the system.)

I have a 16gb and it's doing just fine. I downloaded all the Vita demos (18 of them), have a couple psp games (FFT and Corpse Party) like 10 minis, apps, and I still have about 5 or 6 gb left. And the demos don't even have to be there, I just have nothing really right now. But, the way I figured it, I'd get a 16gb for now and eventually the prices will go down for these and I can get a 32gb or w/e they may release later.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'd get a 16 GB card. I have Mutant Blobs Attack (131 MB), Super Stardust Delta (215 MB), Virtua Tennis 4 (1237 MB), Hot Shots Tennis (1078 MB), the Gradius Collection (261 MB), Patchwork Heroes (228 MB), Z.H.P. (569 MB), Riviera (477 MB), Gurumin (717 MB), Ys Seven (448 MB), and 4 minis that total up to about 215 MB, and about 1300 MB worth of videos. I'll be getting a 16 GB card soon to get PS1 games, but you can cram a lot in one card.

Lucent

I'd get a 16 GB card. I have Mutant Blobs Attack (131 MB), Super Stardust Delta (215 MB), Virtua Tennis 4 (1237 MB), Hot Shots Tennis (1078 MB), the Gradius Collection (261 MB), Patchwork Heroes (228 MB), Z.H.P. (569 MB), Riviera (477 MB), Gurumin (717 MB), Ys Seven (448 MB), and 4 minis that total up to about 215 MB, and about 1300 MB worth of videos. I'll be getting a 16 GB card soon to get PS1 games, but you can cram a lot in one card.

lol...I can't help it.

Also, is Z.H.P. good? Kinda want Gurumin, too. And I've never played a Ys game.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
lol...I can't help it.

Hm? It's the PSP Hot Shots Tennis game.

I don't like Z.H.P. too much. There's way too much story for a portable game and I hate the level design. Of course, Shiren was my introduction to roguelikes, and it's a beautiful, paired down roguelike, so everything else pales in comparison. I'd wait for Oath in Felghana to go on a Steam sale if you want an Ys game. It's also on PSP, but the higher resolution is better than the voice acting (and I love the voice acting). Oath is absolutely fantastic though, so you should play it, one way or another. And I haven't started Gurumin yet, so I can't say much about it.

branny

Z.H.P. is okay, but I'd personally rather just play a Disgaea game instead. It's kind of an acquired taste. I don't play roguelikes, so I don't know how much of a roguelike Z.H.P. is, but I put that game down after reaching the credits and haven't touched it since.

Felghana and Ys 7 are also great places to start for people new to Ys. Can't recommend Felghana enough. lunch is right about the voice acting in the PSP version (some of the actors had wayyy too much fun with their lines, in a good way), but playing it on a PC is definitely the best way to go as far as fidelity is concerned. Ys 7 isn't like most other Ys games (party system, lengthy), but it's still good.

I got one for the same price and it also looked brand new (amazon warehouse canceled my 16gb card order, though which sucked). Pretty damn awesome. Anyway, I got mine last night and I already love the thing.

Mondriaan

I don't like Z.H.P. too much. There's way too much story for a portable game and I hate the level design. Of course, Shiren was my introduction to roguelikes, and it's a beautiful, paired down roguelike, so everything else pales in comparison. I'd wait for Oath in Felghana to go on a Steam sale if you want an Ys game. It's also on PSP, but the higher resolution is better than the voice acting (and I love the voice acting). Oath is absolutely fantastic though, so you should play it, one way or another. And I haven't started Gurumin yet, so I can't say much about it.
Gurumin is a great game from what I can recall. Character designs are very cute and the environments are nice.

It's supposedly not a tough platformer-ish game, but I got stuck on one of the bosses, and haven't gone back to retrying that one.

ZHP level design is very similar to old school rogue (the grandfather of all roguelikes) with rooms connected via narrow passages, but there are exceptions. Dungeons tend to be themed. In some cases there are no passages, but there is space that has to be traversed via balloon, rail car, boat, grapple hook, or foot, depending on the theme of the level.

One of the most annoying aspects of Japanese style roguelikes is equipment usage/breakage, so it's an added complication in item/resource management, and it's here in spades. Health regeneration happens as long as your hunger meter isn't zero; health drops continuously when your hunger meter hits zero, so managing your hunger via knowing when to pick up food with your limited inventory slots is pretty important.

The story is ridiculous and probably constitutes the weakest part of the game unless you're a huge fan of Dokkoida?! (which I am, but I still think the story is kind of weak).

The super grinding for ridiculous equipment is present, but it should be noted that since it's a roguelike, losing all that precious equipment ;_; when you die/accidentally quit your game before saving is also there.

I would recommend ZHP to anyone who enjoys roguelikes and has put dozens of hours of grinding in any Disgaea game.

Lucent

Oh sorry, my bad. I didn't realize Hot Shots had more than golf. So I assumed you were talking about the vita game. >_<

Also, I keep hearing about rogue-like games but I never looked up what that means. Kinda lost on that.

And it looks like the Ys games are still on sale through Steam right now. Hmm...

OmegaZero

How's Unit 13 bro-op?

I'm considering getting a copy for me and a friend to play, but the demo doesn't allow you to try bro-op mode. :/

Are the missions basically the same in both single and bro-op modes or does playing in bro-op add extra enemies/more difficult enemies/new objectives?

StuBurns

Banned
Hey guys, the DJMax thread just made me wonder, what are you planning to buy for Vita this year? I'm more interested in the 'major' games (i.e. games that make it out at retail). There's only a few on my radar, I might be missing some.

winjet81

You know what would be nice and a good incentive for people to migrate from PSP to Vita?

First, make every PSP PSN game compatible with Vita. Then, make each and every one of those games $9.99 or less for purchase from the Vita store.

Preposterous that games like Ace Combat ($39.99) BlazBlue ($24.99) Dead or Alive ($29.99) Dirt 2 ($29.99) Disgaea 2 ($19.99) both GoW games ($19.99) Hot Shots Open Tee 2 ($29.99) Locoroco ($22.99) Pursuit Force ($22.99) for example are priced the way they are.

They are slowly making progress on those nutty prices. Some older PSP games got a price reduction yesterday. But I agree, a majority of them need to be $9.99 and under.

Lucent

You know what would be nice and a good incentive for people to migrate from PSP to Vita?

First, make every PSP PSN game compatible with Vita. Then, make each and every one of those games $9.99 or less for purchase from the Vita store.

Preposterous that games like Ace Combat ($39.99) BlazBlue ($24.99) Dead or Alive ($29.99) Dirt 2 ($29.99) Disgaea 2 ($19.99) both GoW games ($19.99) Hot Shots Open Tee 2 ($29.99) Locoroco ($22.99) Pursuit Force ($22.99) for example are priced the way they are.

Yeah, I found it odd that the first Locoroco is $22.99, but the sequel and midnight carnival ones are only like $8.

But, yeah, you're idea would make the Vita fun. Cuz there are a lot of PSP games I'd love to get but don't want to pay what they want. lol

Hey guys, the DJMax thread just made me wonder, what are you planning to buy for Vita this year? I'm more interested in the 'major' games (i.e. games that make it out at retail). There's only a few on my radar, I might be missing some.

Retail:

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ragnarok Odyssey
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

DD:

Jet Set Radio HD
Machinarium
New Little King's Story
Orgarhythm
Persona 4: Golden
Retro City Rampage
Sound Shapes

I think I may be forgetting some.

EDIT: Forgot Zero Escape and Sony Smash.

Afrikan

They are slowly making progress on those nutty prices. Some older PSP games got a price reduction yesterday. But I agree, a majority of them need to be $9.99 and under.

yeah I finally made a move for Madden..even the new next gen version is coming out in a month haha...but hey $10....and it is fun to play.

Now I just need them to remember that they have a game that came out in 2 years ago..still costing too much.. I want that UFC 2010 game dammit..it looked like they did a great port for the PSP.

Persona 4 is the only one I'm interested in so far. I would consider Most Wanted if it is identical with the PS3 version and shares at least the autolog/leaderboards with the PS3 version, but I doubt that'll happen.

/edit/ Oh yeah, forgot about Zero Escape. It's not really a must-buy for me, though.

Mondriaan

Also, I keep hearing about rogue-like games but I never looked up what that means. Kinda lost on that.
Here's a wikipedia article.

Maybe the best way to visualize what the game is like is to imagine a game like Disgaea spread across a much larger dungeon where visibility is limited to the room you're in or maybe a 1 or 2 grid-square radius around yourself outside of rooms.

During a turn you can choose to perform an action (such as attack, using an item, etc...) or move one grid-square. You also have one controllable character and often have to handle multiple enemies on a map, so managing the number of enemies that can attack you is important. In general enemy actions are similar to yours, but may differ depending on the enemy and the game.

These maps generally have a single, one-way exit to a deeper level where the monsters are stronger and the treasure is better. Killing the monsters gives you experience that levels you up and makes you stronger, but if you stay in a map to level up, you increase the risk that you will starve to death. Likewise grabbing items and immediately taking the stairs down reduces the chance of starvation, but increases the chance that you will meet a monster that you can't defeat and can't escape.

A Japanese twist on roguelikes is that entering a dungeon automatically puts your player character level back to level one and makes it more important to find (and keep) a decent set of equipment for the next time. Getting killed in a dungeon generally involves some penalty like losing your equipment and items.

Kusagari

Persona 4
DJMax
Sound Shapes
and I'm still deciding whether to get Zero Escape on Vita or 3DS.

Lucent

Here's a wikipedia article.

Maybe the best way to visualize what the game is like is to imagine a game like Disgaea spread across a much larger dungeon where visibility is limited to the room you're in or maybe a 1 or 2 grid-square radius around yourself outside of rooms.

During a turn you can choose to perform an action (such as attack, using an item, etc...) or move one grid-square. You also have one controllable character and often have to handle multiple enemies on a map, so managing the number of enemies that can attack you is important. In general enemy actions are similar to yours, but may differ depending on the enemy and the game.

These maps generally have a single, one-way exit to a deeper level where the monsters are stronger and the treasure is better. Killing the monsters gives you experience that levels you up and makes you stronger, but if you stay in a map to level up, you increase the risk that you will starve to death. Likewise grabbing items and immediately taking the stairs down reduces the chance of starvation, but increases the chance that you will meet a monster that you can't defeat and can't escape.

A Japanese twist on roguelikes is that entering a dungeon automatically puts your player character level back to level one and makes it more important to find (and keep) a decent set of equipment for the next time. Getting killed in a dungeon generally involves some penalty like losing your equipment and items.

Wow, that sounds pretty rough. =l

Could be a fun type of game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I didn't realize the Gradius Collection is available for download in the PSN store! I had the UMD and it's the perfect type of game to have digital. Well, for me at least.

Edit: Didn't see it in Vita's PSN Store, so hopefully it's on my PS3's store.

Excuse the off topic post, but: Net Hack, which is the rougelike, is freeware. That said, Dungeons of Dredmor is probably the most accessible rougelike out there at the moment, and it's £1.39 on Steam at the moment.

I didn't realize the Gradius Collection is available for download in the PSN store! I had the UMD and it's the perfect type of game to have digital. Well, for me at least.

Edit: Didn't see it in Vita's PSN Store, so hopefully it's on my PS3's store.

Yeah, you're gonna have to download it on the PS3 and transfer it to your Vita.

Diebuster

DJMAX Technika Tune
Persona 4 Golden
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
LittleBigPlanet Vita
Sound Shapes
Retro City Rampage
Jet Set Radio HD

I may get Battle Royale depending on the rest of the roster.

patsu

For sure:
Persona 4 Golden
Sound Shapes
LittleBigPlanet Vita (Is this really 2012 ?)

The rest is up in the air. The problem is they are all bunched up in August and October ? I am tracking a few others but will only decide near release date.

Also got to see whether I should get other PSP games and Vita launch games (Disgaea ?) first. PS+ discount will play a factor too. So I'm leaving my options open.

As it stands, there are enough to last me till mid next year.

Mondriaan

Well, they're not for everyone. (I think they're a lot of fun.)

The stakes are fairly low when you're starting out, so it doesn't really matter if you die and lose everything. The basic idea is that you will die (a lot) and hopefully will learn something from the experience. As you become more experienced, you will end up with better stuff, and as a consequence the stakes become higher.

Just visited the US store, everything is so much better organized and colorful. I saw Legend of Dragoon and thought how that would look on my Vita...

KAL2006

Banned
I have:
UMvC3
Virtua Tennis 4
Mutant Blobs
BlazBlue
Unit 13
Super Stardust Delta
Hotshots Golf

I need to get:
Uncharted GA
MGS HD
Rayman Origins
Gravity Rush
Mortal Kombat
WipeOut

Looking forward to:
SFxT
Soul Sacrifice
LittleBigPlanet
Persona 4
Assassins Creed
COD
Strangers Wrath
PS Allstars Battle Royal
Sly Cooper
Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
Retro City Rampage
Jet Set Radio
Final Fantasy X HD
Dragons Crown
Guacamelee

And lets not get started on PSP and PS1 Classics. So yes, I am not too bothered with the lack of new game announcements, however I'd love some new games to get announced so at least we get more Vita buyers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom