• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
I can't help to laugh at this every time its brought up. Do people really not buy systems for games currently on it and only by announcements of games that are years off?

People did buy a 3DS at launch for some reason after all.

coughlanio

I can't help to laugh at this every time its brought up. Do people really not buy systems for games currently on it and only by announcements of games that are years off?

Well as of right now, I really want it for Gravity Rush, and that's about it. I don't think it's unreasonable to be wary of making an investment incase the future software support doesn't cater to my tastes and interests.

StuBurns

Banned
After this generation of bullshit exclusives and cancelled games, I'm done buying any system for the promise it holds. I bought a PS3 for Versus XIII and the next Team ICO game...

StuBurns

Banned
To be fair, MGS4 was a influence too, I bought it before that though, I bought it when they dropped the BC and released the 40GB model, the 60s were reduced, and I wanted BC. But yeah, even so.

Shtof

Why should I get Gravity Rush? Tried the demo and I didn't feel entertained enough to warrant a buy. Is the demo representative of the full game? What am I missing out on?

Also, what's the size of the game? Still rocking a 4 jiggabit card.

Kyon

Banned
it wasn't supposed to be an attack sorry if it seemed that way I was just curious.

@Takao the 3DS reply.. I'm dead lol

cjkeats

I wanted a Vita for P4:G. I had no intention of getting it otherwise, or so soon, as my PSP just sat in a drawer for many years, but I found a killer deal on a used one so I figured "Why not get it now?"
I'm not sure if it's because I'm hungry to use this new toy, but I've been playing a ton of games, both Vita and PSP that I wouldn't have ever played just because it's something for it.

StuBurns

Banned
Why should I get Gravity Rush? Tried the demo and I didn't feel entertained enough to warrant a buy. Is the demo representative of the full game? What am I missing out on?

I don't think it's quite as good as people make out. The writing is very charming, she's quite a cute character, and artistically it's a beautiful game, the feeling of traversal is very exhilarating, but the actual missions aren't very good.

Well Its all a matter of taste of course but I personally loved it. The main thing the demo doesnt give you a feel for is the big open world and the exploration. Also the ability to lvl up you skills, gem hunting and unlocking challenges.

In fact I think the main game has a lot more to offer than the demo showed. Saying that, if you didnt like the basic concept shown by the demo then it might not be your thing.

Goffee

Banned
In relation to the new games coming at Game Heaven/Gamescom/TGS, I wonder how many of the developers Sony originally listed as working on Vita titles still haven't announced their games? there's quite a few.

Have they given up on their projects, or are they biding their time? A couple of big names there.

Takao

Banned
In relation to the new games coming at Game Heaven/Gamescom/TGS, I wonder how many of the developers Sony originally listed as working on Vita titles still haven't announced their games? there's quite a few.

Have they given up on their projects, or are they biding their time? A couple of big names there.

I'm fairly certain that unless Sony's bankrolling it whatever Rockstar had in development has been canceled.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm implying that it may not be worth it in the future, due to a possible lack of software support.

This is what you call lack of support?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472361

People please, before bitching try to retrieve some information, how many times that link needs to be posted?
Vita's problem is not the number of games, but the false "vita has no gaemz" of haters and/or uniformed people and sony that does nothing to deny it(look at the e3).

wouwie

Just a couple of quick questions:
- is Virtua Tennis 4 playable without touch controls?
- is it possible to close the currently open game/app without opening a new game/app (for example when i want to remove the memory card from the game that i was playing)?
- is it normal that i get disconnected from the network when the Vita is in sleep mode?

Also, for anyone having problems with the Escape Plan demo (which re-appeared on the EU store), i think you need the optional new firmware release (same firmware number ). It worked for me.

Uncharted Golden Abyss is on the way. Hopefully it's good. Loved both Uncharted 1&2 so i'm curious to play this handheld version. The demo didn't impress me but i'm told that it's not really representative for the full game. I hope there is a lot of exploration/platforming and less setpieces and shooting. More Uncharted 1 than 3.

Shinriji

- is it normal that i get disconnected from the network when the Vita is in sleep mode?

Uncharted Golden Abyss is on the way. Hopefully it's good. Loved both Uncharted 1&2 so i'm curious to play this handheld game. The demo didn't impress me but i'm told that it's not really representative for the full game. I hope there is a lot of exploration/platforming and less setpieces and shooting. More Uncharted 1 than 3.

Yes and Yes. Also, I think that Uncharted GA will surprise you.

Takao

Banned
- is it possible to close the currently open game/app without opening a new game/app (for example when i want to remove the memory card from the game that i was playing)?

Also, for anyone having problems with the Escape Plan demo (which re-appeared on the EU store), i think you need the optional new firmware release (same firmware number ). It worked for me.

Uncharted Golden Abyss is on the way. Hopefully it's good. Loved both Uncharted 1&2 so i'm curious to play this handheld version. The demo didn't impress me but i'm told that it's not really representative for the full game. I hope there is a lot of exploration/platforming and less setpieces and shooting. More Uncharted 1 than 3.

- Yes.
- Yes (I'm not quite sure what you're getting at) you just swipe down the page when you're in the LiveArea.
- Yes.

KAL2006

Banned
Even if no more games were announced for Vita I am quite happy with my Vita purchase as I got it for real cheap. PSP backlog on OLED screen, UMvC3, BlazBlue, Virtua Tennis 4 and a few of the upcoming games like LittleBigPlanet and SFxT make it worth it. And finally the Netflix and YouTube apps make me watch videos in bed before I go sleep. If only we got a BBC iPlayer and 4OD app as well.

Vita price keeps dropping in the UK. £170 on Amazon with a 4GB memory card, also add £15 and you can choose a game too.

I think I already have more games on this than I ever got on my xbox and i Had that for several years before getting rid of it.

I have no doubts that this system has a great future. Especially with ps mobile and ps one titles on the way. So much potential and if the indie scene embraces it then its gonna be all kinds of awesome down the line.

Currently playing MGS 3 and Trails in the Sky (just started yesterday, looks to be a good one). MGS HD collection is gonna get played a lot over the next few years I think. il get Peace walker at somepoint and MGS 1 when its available.... all that on one system will be amazing.

I have so little motivation to bother playing my PC these days. Might get dawn guard for skyrim but no rush for that really.

What can I say. This is just the system I have been waiting for.

I completed Luna: silver star harmony last week as well. That game looks really nice. Its only bigish flaw is its insanely easy. However at the same time I found it really relaxing to play.

Next month It will be the 3 Grush DLC's and maybe peacewalker.... il see on that one.

Oh and PSO2 next year... please come to UK. Il buy that day one.

JoshHood

Really hope that this year's (October/November likely) GTA Vice City 10th Anniversary edition comes to Vita as well as iOs/Android. That'll keep me plenty occupied for a bit.

Nibel

Rumor – Medal of Honor: Warfighter Listed to Release on the PS Vita

More clues of a PS Vita version of Danger Close’s upcoming FPS sequel, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, appear on the web.

According to the Online EA Help Center, Medal of Honor: Warfighter is listed for both the Microsoft Xbox 360, PC, Sony PlayStation 3 and the Sony PlayStation Vita. Its appearance on the PS Vita was rumored earlier as well when a listing appeared on the French retailer CDiscount’s website.

uFB0B.jpg

Source

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Hmm, this is really weird. Haven't used my PSP in a long while... turned it on and there's this... noticeable impression in the screen, like something is messed up in the display, it's hard to describe - anyone else ever see this? It really likes like water or something is behind the screen when I know there isn't. The unit is working fine otherwise.

Edit: Took a picture of it, it's noticeable just above Enter, Back and goes all around the screen:
AyEQ-ydCQAAa1xY.jpg:large

I wasn't paying attention and thought that was Crisis Core for the Vita, got all excited then till I read the rest of your post, lol.

I still haven't quite gotten used to the blotches on my Vita's screen that show up when I'm playing in the dark. They show up in some parts of games too, like the part in MGS3 where you're navigating through that really dark cave. At first I couldn't tell if it was part of the game or not but eventually I realized it was just my screen. Oh well, at least they don't show up most of the time.

sajj316

You don't need to do that. That is Sony's job.

Agreed. This is Sony's job. Buy content for your system. That's all. If you really want, you can do what For Your Vita Hype is doing (better than Sony) ... selling others on what it currently has and will offer shortly (not in a sales thread, but this thread :)

Beck's involved with Sound Shapes!

Pitchfork said:
The new music-based video game Sound Shapes for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita features three new Beck songs: "Cities", "Touch the People", and "Spiral Staircase".

Each track serves as its own level in the game, which mixes music creation with game play. (The game also features music by deadmau5, Jim Guthrie, and I Am Robot and Proud.) Beck's portion of the game was designed by Pyramid Attack. Sound Shapes is out August 7.

Link

Yes perfectly
Yes - go to menu and catch the upper right corner of screen and make a closing move
Hmm probably yes - generally it has tendencies to disconnect in many cases due to very agressive power saving presets.

I still haven't quite gotten used to the blotches on my Vita's screen that show up when I'm playing in the dark. They show up in some parts of games too, like the part in MGS3 where you're navigating through that really dark cave. At first I couldn't tell if it was part of the game or not but eventually I realized it was just my screen. Oh well, at least they don't show up most of the time.
I am thankfully over it. At some point I was considering selling my Vita because I couldn't unsee the blotches and that kinda drove me insane, but right now it's not that big of a problem anymore. I am still consciously aware of them, but it's no big deal anymore.
I still hope this is something they will fix in future revisions, though.

I am thankfully over it. At some point I was considering selling my Vita because I couldn't unsee the blotches and that kinda drove me insane, but right now it's not that big of a problem anymore. I am still consciously aware of them, but it's no big deal anymore.
I still hope this is something they will fix in future revisions, though.
Yeah, I'm used to it for the most part but every once in awhile it will show up in a game and kind of irritate me a little. It's easy enough for me to forgive considering how great the screen looks otherwise, though. I guess it's just weird when you have this nice piece of tech that you're meticulously trying to keep spotless and then it has these big ugly blotches everywhere whenever the screen isn't showing anything. It almost makes it feel dirty or something. :p

Yeah, I'm used to it for the most part but every once in awhile it will show up in a game and kind of irritate me a little. It's easy enough for me to forgive considering how great the screen looks otherwise, though. I guess it's just weird when you have this nice piece of tech that you're meticulously trying to keep spotless and then it has these big ugly blotches everywhere whenever the screen isn't showing anything. It almost makes it feel dirty or something. :p

Yeah, at first I could only see those things during dark loading screens, but when I noticed them during a still fairly bright segment in Rayman Origins that was crossing a line for me and I became really upset about it. It's just irritating to have those static things on your screen while the background is scrolling and moving.

But yeah, once you get used to it it just seems less than ideal, but whatever. It's still just a very nice screen.

KAL2006

Banned
Really hope that this year's (October/November likely) GTA Vice City 10th Anniversary edition comes to Vita as well as iOs/Android. That'll keep me plenty occupied for a bit.

THIS. I don't understand why these iOS ports don't come on the Vita as well. I wanted to see Max Payne, GTA3, Ghost Trick, Phoenix Wright and etc. I thought the iPad and Vita had similar hardware, so this should be easy to port to Vita.

the good news is the appear to fade over time. I have hardly any any more.

Really? That is good news. I'm surprised they haven't faded more if that's the case though, I've played my Vita quite a bit.

well I checked last night and I just have a few splotches around the edges now. I used two have to big long ones (about 2 cm long) on the screen that arn't there any more. I have had it since launch though and used it almost every day.

Shinriji

FOOSBALL 2012 - July 24

You’ll be able to scratch that foosball itch on July 24th, when the game launches on the PlayStation Store. It will cost you only $7.99 for which will get both the PS3 version and the PS Vita version, so you’ll be able to fully enjoy the awesome cross-platform features we have implemented in the game. PlayStation Plus subscribers will enjoy a limited-time discount, netting the game for just $5.99!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/18/foosball-2012-flipping-on-to-ps3-and-ps-vita-next-tuesday/

Only 5.99? Bought

ZeroAKA

I don't enjoy sports games too much but I'm tempted to pick up both Hot Shots Golf and Virtua Tennis 4 during the sale. Just one question though - how is the character creator mode in VT4? Do you have to use a camera to map your character's face or are there other options?

RoylAsult

FOOSBALL 2012 - July 24

You’ll be able to scratch that foosball itch on July 24th, when the game launches on the PlayStation Store. It will cost you only $7.99 for which will get both the PS3 version and the PS Vita version, so you’ll be able to fully enjoy the awesome cross-platform features we have implemented in the game. PlayStation Plus subscribers will enjoy a limited-time discount, netting the game for just $5.99!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/07/18/foosball-2012-flipping-on-to-ps3-and-ps-vita-next-tuesday/

Only 5.99? Bought

that looks pretty cool, just wondering how it controls

arimanius

So thankful I didn't buy VT4 on Monday. Now I'm debating if PSN+ is worth it for the extra discounts.

I have a PS3 but hardly play it. My gaming time is PC/Vita lately because my 19 month old takes over the TV if it's it on. :|

patsu

Is it worth getting a Vita at this point?

I'll be getting a 3DS XL at the end of the month, and GameStop are offering a Vita for €139.99 if you trade in a 3DS, and I'm thinking about it. That's 44% off the retail price by the way. Take in to consideration the fact I don't own a PS3 anymore, if that makes a difference, and the only Sony property I have any affinity for is Uncharted, and even then, I don't care that much anymore.

But, I do love tech...

If you really love technologies, the hardware and PS Mobile alone should be somewhat attractive, hence this conversation ?

For games, safest bet is the PSP library. And then hunt for the great Vita titles, like Mutant Blobs, Rayman Origins. Since you don't own a PS3, Vita's home console spinoff games may come in handy. If you need proofs, you can get the hardware using the one-time discount, and rent a few games to see. You can always return the h/w.

If you're wondering about worth, then the 4 OT threads should tell you something about our experiences so far.

If you have doubt about Vita's future library, that means you are not in the mood to take risk. I would wait a while since you may not be an early adopter type buyer despite being tech savvy.

You can always revisit this decision later.

dsigns1

So thankful I didn't buy VT4 on Monday. Now I'm debating if PSN+ is worth it for the extra discounts.

I have a PS3 but hardly play it. My gaming time is PC/Vita lately because my 19 month old takes over the TV if it's it on. :|

PS+ might just be the thing to get you back into using your PS3 with all the free games they've been giving away. The vita deals are just more incentive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom