• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Dissidia 012 on the Vita, quite enjoying the cheesyness of it.
The only thing that is slightly annoying is being able to see the screen pixels, or at least that is what it looks like, this kinda of grainy blocky texture.

Now if only they could get Crisis Core on the store too I would be a happy man.

Do you mean the dithering (like in this picture)?
1330605897-sans_titre_1.jpg

That's normal and even visible on the psp screen. I hate it too though and it's indeed very noticable in dissidia 012.

cyborg009

Banned
I personally love the hardware. I think their main objective hardware-wise should be to focus entirely on making the device more affordable to manufacture and be aggressive with the price cuts. They need to get this baby to 3DS price levels if they can. The core gamer demographic (12-30 year old males) would go for the Vita over the 3DS every time if it was the same price.

I would take a two fold strategy with software. Step 1: Focus on the big dogs (Call of Duty, Madden, Gran Turismo, Assassin's Creed) and make sure Vita versions are AAA entries and not gimped versions. Use bundles to move hardware. A Call of duty Bundle or Madden Bundle should be a given (the game needs to be AAA-calibur though).

Step 2: Focus on Indie devs. They made XBLA what it is and yet Microsoft mistreats them. They work hard and their budgets are cheap. Throwing some financial assistance (dev kits, all-expense paid dev workshops, and publishing deals) their way could go a long way. The budget for a AAA game nowadays is in the 10's of millions. For much less then that the Vita could become the hottest indie platform around and with that comes tons of free positive press on every gaming site, podcast, and message board, not to mention tons of goodwill with gamers.

I would ignore the middle segment (medium budget games from big publishers), that segment will go where there is money to be made. If the big titles are on Vita as well as all the buzz generating indie titles, that middle segment will come as well.

I agree with the bundles but I'm sure Microsoft will prevent the call of duty bundle. Also a price drop is needed maybe they should sell the 3g one for 150 but make it subscription base like Microsoft did with the xbox.

I don't think they area going to improve the hardware spec wise (ie, gorilla glass, better screen .etc) to keep the costs low. So IMHO one the start/select buttons and maybe the L/R buttons.

One amusing thing is that the whole OS is touch based, makes me thing that maybe they have a sliding model akin to the PSPGo down the pipeline.
Vita was supposed to be a slide design but it kept overheating I believe.

Why is vitas screen so terrible in sunlight. God damn I can't see nothing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So as beautiful and interesting as I think Gravity Rush is... I don't think it's a great handheld game. Like, something like Virtua Tennis, I can play a round and quickly take a break. Same with like Mortal Kombat. Or even Ragnarok where story doesn't matter so it doesn't matter if I take a lot of breaks.

while I feel like something like Persona is a great fit even though it's a story heavy game, but on a gameplay level, it's fairly passive. Gravity Rush, especially with the sliding missions, is just a pain to play when you're not at home alone.

patsu

It's really not close at all. The S3 screen isn't as sharp as the iPhone 4's, and it completely blows the Vita screen away. It's the same size, and notably higher resolution.

iPhone 4S: 326ppi
3S: 306ppi
[So-called Retina Display >= 300ppi]
Vita: 220ppi

The cellphone displays are made of glass, plus other technologies to make them work even better under direct sunlight.

For regular viewing, anything 300ppi and beyond are considered "Retina display". While Vita is not quite there yet, it's close enough.

I surf on the Vita browser quite a bit. Reading in small fonts is fine. Other improvements such as battery life would be more welcomed.

Ein Bear

Unreal engine is terrible on vita

Only because it's not officially supported by Epic. I imagine they'd take the time to port it properly for a hypothetical Gears game.

I'm never quite sure on the exclusivity of that series anyway. Do MS have any ownership over it, or is it purely moneyhatting keeping it Xbox exclusive?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Hm, didn't know this. Is there some significance/reasoning to the 960x544 resolution then, or is that the closest they could get to 720p without absolutely killing the battery or something?
There is some significance. To avoid the scaling artifacts you see when playing DS games on a 3DS (causing some people to complain it looks "blurry" or "pixellated"), Sony uses a resolution on Vita that quadruples that of the original PSP's.

As a result of increasing the resolution from 480x272 to 960x544, every pixel of a PSP game is represented by four on the Vita screen - making the scaling algorithm much simpler, and the visible results much clearer than they otherwise would have been.

As a plus, besides making PSP backwards compatibility easier, this resolution actually also has the benefit of being a quarter of the full-HD standard (1920x1080), which again, makes downscaling easier if it ever comes to it.

It's just a convenient multiple to work with, though I'm sure battery life and the logistics of sourcing a cost-effective OLED factor in too.

Only because it's not officially supported by Epic. I imagine they'd take the time to port it properly for a hypothetical Gears game.

I'm never quite sure on the exclusivity of that series anyway. Do MS have any ownership over it, or is it purely moneyhatting keeping it Xbox exclusive?

Moneyhatting. Epic said last year that they own Gears and can do what they want with it.

StuBurns

Banned
iPhone 4S: 326ppi
3S: 306ppi
[So-called Retina Display >= 300ppi]
Vita: 220ppi

The cellphone displays are made of glass, plus other technologies to make them work even better under direct sunlight.

For regular viewing, anything 300ppi and beyond are considered "Retina display". While Vita is not quite there yet, it's close enough.

I surf on the Vita browser quite a bit. Reading in small fonts is fine. Other improvements such as battery life would be more welcomed.
300PPI is 'retina' at twelve inches, not regardless. Looking at both, in person, I think the difference is huge. Although I'm not suggesting it should be higher res, games are hardly hitting native res now, it clearly doesn't have the muscle for 720p.

Epic own the IP, and could take it elsewhere, I don't see how it's anything to do with 'moneyhatting' though.

mauaus

Im seeking advice GAF, i have $22 on my psn account, and im itching to buy Virtua Tennis 4, is it worth the $40 asking price? Shall i wait for a sale?

Ive been playing nothing but psp titles, its time to treat my vita to some vita :D

bump?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

To me, Virtua Tennis was worth every penny. It looks absolutely gorgeous (easily the best looking game on the platform right now), the controls are tight, and the gameplay can last a long time if that's what you're looking for.

patsu

300PPI is 'retina' at twelve inches, not regardless. Looking at both, in person, I think the difference is huge.

Yes, 300ppi is based on the average holding distance for a cellphone (12 inches). Similar to a handheld gaming device.

I have iPad 3 and iPad 2 side by side on my desk now. The Retina display is sharper, but if you look at them separately, most people I asked can't tell the difference. They have to stare at the screen 1-2 inches away to confirm which one is retina display. But the power draw will be noticeably different.

Besides ppi, the displays on the market also include other features to help set them apart greater.

StuBurns

Banned
Yes, 300ppi is based on the average holding distance for a cellphone. Similar to a handheld gaming device.

I have iPad 3 and iPad 2 side by side on my desk now. The Retina display is sharper, but if you look at them separately, most people I asked can't tell the difference. They have to stare at the screen inches away to confirm which one is retina display. But the power draw will be noticeably different.
Your friends have terrible eye sight.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
StuBurns said:
Looking at both, in person, I think the difference is huge.
I dunno - comparing Nexus (which is smaller - with 326 PPI), difference feels marginal (native to native games).
AAed native Vita games look noticeably cleaner than non-AAed retina games too - so the whole "you don't see pixels" is only true for AAed content really.

mauaus

To me, Virtua Tennis was worth every penny. It looks absolutely gorgeous (easily the best looking game on the platform right now), the controls are tight, and the gameplay can last a long time if that's what you're looking for.

Thats what i wanted to hear, how are the trophies?? Hard to obtain?

patsu

I dunno - comparing Nexus (which is smaller - with 326 PPI), difference feels marginal (native to native games).
AAed native Vita games look noticeably cleaner than non-AAed retina games too - so the whole "you don't see pixels" is only true for AAed content really.

Retina display is superb for increasing screen estate just because there are so many pixels available. Apple has a demo that showcased 1080p video editing. I think that benefit is definitely useful (and amazing !).

But for "retina" sharpness, I see the benefits but the entire picture has to be taken into consideration (colors, the art itself, brightness, contrast, etc.).

I don't think the screen resolution makes as much of a difference as you'd think. UMvC3 looks plenty sharp because it has AA, while games like Gravity Rush have awful IQ because of non-native res and a lack of AA.

As for the iPhone and Galaxy S3 comparisons, I'm not sure if a glass covering does anything, but iPhone 4/4S's screen lamination and IPS certainly do. I hope the inevitable Vita revision ditches the OLED for an iPhone-caliber IPS LCD or the even more amazing Super LCD found in the HTC One X or ClearBlack LCD display on the Nokia Lumia 900.

Aurizen

Anyone hear of this?

The word “microtransactions” seems terribly old fashioned already, which is odd because the idea is becoming ever more prevalent on as many platforms as I can think of.

The latest platform to get microtransactions? PS Mobile. The new PS Suite development kit has been updated to version 0.99 (presumably the last before the ‘one’ point release), and with it the ability to have in app purchases, much like those on iPhone and iPad.

The following new features have been added:

In-App Purchase library
Digital Signature & Encryption library for content protection
GamePad support for UI Toolkit library
ModelViewer for previewing .mdx files on PC
More than 50 bug fixes

I had a quick look at PS Mobile / PS Suite when it first entered public beta and it’s a great way to get homebrew games on your Vita, even if you don’t make them yourself.

I’m hoping this will be huge for the system – I’m just not keen on IAPs.

So apps will be in the store?

As for the iPhone and Galaxy S3 comparisons, I'm not sure if a glass covering does anything, but iPhone 4/4S's screen lamination and IPS certainly do. I hope the inevitable Vita revision ditches the OLED for an iPhone-caliber IPS LCD or the even more amazing Super LCD found in the HTC One X or ClearBlack LCD display on the Nokia Lumia 900.
What's the latency of those screens? Do they also suffer from ghosting issues? I'm not an expert, but OLED seems like a really good fit for gaming devices.

Shinriji

Thats what i wanted to hear, how are the trophies?? Hard to obtain?

Most of the trophies are pretty straigthforward, some tricky ones that will require some grinding or many retries, but some of the online trophy are pretty difficult/time consuming to get.

patsu

Anyone hear of this?

So apps will be in the store?

Yeah, I remember reading that PS Mobile software will be distributed via PS Store. The consumers buy via the existing PSN wallet. That means PSN Cards will work too.

Behind the scene, there may (or may not) be back-to-back agreement with the network operators (e.g., AT&T) to share revenue with Sony. They were negotiating the terms a while back. Not sure how it turns out.

Mondriaan

What is a VR mission?
IIRC there was a MGS2 spin off called MGS2 VR (Virtual Reality) missions which contained a large number of really quick levels/challenges involving weapons, stealth, and so on. The environment was a CG wire-frame to emphasize the VR aspect.

Koroviev

It's an okay solution, but still rather unwieldy and since you have to hold them down for a few seconds it's barely faster than just dropping the volume with (-) :(

Personally, I'd prefer a pause button.

A virtual reality mission is basically Metal Gear without any story. It's a good way to hone your skills and they're quite fun.

1195164-psd3d017_super.jpg

IIRC there was a MGS2 spin off called MGS2 VR (Virtual Reality) missions which contained a large number of really quick levels/challenges involving weapons, stealth, and so on. The environment was a CG wire-frame to emphasize the VR aspect.

Oh, I see. Thanks :)

Ein Bear

Just to clarify, the VR Missions were added in the re-release of MGS2, MGS:Substance, along with some 'Snake Tales' missions and a dollop of other bonus stuff. 3 got a similar treatment.
The versions of MGS2 and 3 included in the collection are both the re-release versions, with the extra features.

Do you mean the dithering (like in this picture)?
1330605897-sans_titre_1.jpg

That's normal and even visible on the psp screen. I hate it too though and it's indeed very noticable in dissidia 012.

While it doesn't affect gameplay, it's still awfully noticeable in Dissidia... =(

It doesn't seem to work with the music player. It just turns off the screen.
Yeah, music player doesn't turn off unless you pause it. Kind of stinks.

well, GFAQ has it for sept 11th but, there hasn't been an official release date.
I hope we get it in August or September.

StuBurns

Banned
Just to clarify, the VR Missions were added in the re-release of MGS2, MGS:Substance, along with some 'Snake Tales' missions and a dollop of other bonus stuff. 3 got a similar treatment.
The versions of MGS2 and 3 included in the collection are both the re-release versions, with the extra features.
Just to clarify, MGS3 doesn't have all the Subsistence stuff.

Yopis

Think I might pick up Virtual Tennis next after I finish MGS ciollection. Game was great on DC how is online play?

I hope the inevitable Vita revision ditches the OLED for an iPhone-caliber IPS LCD or the even more amazing Super LCD found in the HTC One X or ClearBlack LCD display on the Nokia Lumia 900.

No way. LCD is terrible technology for displays and needs to go away as soon as possible, haven't you noticed how lightning fast OLED is? Fast moving objects and particles stay perfectly sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom