• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that confirmed though?

I know it will be a download for sure, but I'm wondering if there will be more to it than that. Like you suggested, tying it to the online pass would be a smart idea, although not necessarily completely effective.

For example you could easily flip your PS3 copy of the game immediately for 40-50 bucks and keep the Vita download with its online pass intact.

I don't know if they have anything planned to circumvent this (and frankly I haven't a clue how they would) but I'm interested to say the least.

now if only I were more interested in the game itself ;P

Hey hey hey! I am very interested. I think Sony looked at it and said "Screw it, the number of people that will flip this won't be enough to offset the benefit of getting Vita copies in people's homes and minds.

It's the blu ray/DVD combo strategy. Could people buy the combo and sell the blu ray? Sure but how many do, and is it it enough to offset the fact that you created a potential blu ray buyer?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hey hey hey! I am very interested. I think Sony looked at it and said "Screw it, the number of people that will flip this won't be enough to offset the benefit of getting Vita copies in people's homes and minds.

It's the blu ray/DVD combo strategy. Could people buy the combo and sell the blu ray? Sure but how many do, and is it it enough to offset the fact that you created a potential blu ray buyer?

No, since the blu-ray is required to run the game that is on it and installed to the harddrive. AC1 won't run without the Revelations disc it installed from. Dead Space Extraction won't run without the collectors edition disc of DS2.

No, since the blu-ray is required to run the game that is on it and installed to the harddrive. AC1 won't run without the Revelations disc it installed from. Dead Space Extraction won't run without the collectors edition disc of DS2.

Whaaaaa? That's all well and good for two ps3 games but how would that same thing work for the vita version where you can play it anywhere in the world away from your ps3?

zroid

Banned
The blu-ray/dvd combo thing is pretty different though, since you have two physical products in one package. I'm not sure there's much of a market for people who are willing to buy or keep just a disc without its casing.

But in any case, it's a good point, they may just not believe the losses incurred will outweigh the benefit, which is entirely possible.

Vita install data might be on the Blu-Ray itself?

Cool so you pull the data onto your ps3 transfer to vita and sell ps3 version.....profit.

Be easier just to give the download code lol.

The blu-ray/dvd combo thing is pretty different though, since you have two physical products in one package. I'm not sure there's much of a market for people who are willing to buy or keep just a disc without its casing.

But in any case, it's a good point, they may just not believe the losses incurred will outweigh the benefit, which is entirely possible.

Oh I agree. The trade in market for movies is not anywhere near the size of the trade in games market, but it still exist. And the philosophy can be the same as well.

zroid

Banned
Cool so you pull the data onto your ps3 transfer to vita and sell ps3 version.....profit.

Be easier just to give the download code lol.

Shinriji had an idea about the Vita copy of the game never actually being tied to your PSN account (or, at least, not in the same way as a standard download). It's just a copy that you can save on your Vita but can't redownload without transferring from the blu-ray. I don't know about the feasibility of this, but it sure would be an incentive to keep the PS3 game disc.

Shinriji had an idea about the Vita copy of the game never actually being tied to your PSN account. It's just a copy that you can save on your Vita but can't redownload without transferring from the blu-ray. I don't know about the feasibility of this, but it sure would be an incentive to keep the PS3 game disc.

Even if, when you back up your vita it backs up games as well I believe. Therefore, the ps3 disc wouldn't be needed to reclaim the vita version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Haven't noticed it. o_O
Not so much in games but try while having GAF (non mobile) loaded, it's most noticeable then where it goes from yellow to blue tint. The warm tint looks better most of the time and is probably great for games and movies which is why it's like that. First time in my life I see this kind of behavior in screens tho

Not so much in games but try while having GAF (non mobile) loaded, it's most noticeable then where it goes from yellow to blue tint. The warm tint looks better most of the time and is probably great for games and movies which is why it's like that. First time in my life I see this kind of behavior in screens tho

Careful, if you keep looking you will see the soul of the vita.

zroid

Banned
Even if, when you back up your vita it backs up games as well I believe. Therefore, the ps3 disc wouldn't be needed to reclaim the vita version. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It's plausible that these specific files might not be possible to back up, but this is getting into really complicated territory with potentially diminishing returns, obviously.

Still, hypothetically, it might work.

I'm honestly more inclined to believe, like you, that it'd just be a standard code.

test_account

XP-39C²
My theory is that you have to redeem the code inside the PS3 version. And the vita version will be a service, just like PS Plus and Singstar DLC, and not be on your download list.
If it is technically possible, then this could work indeed.

Indeed, although Steam is an entirely different beast from PSN.
Sure, i just ment that Portal 2 for PS3 did allow for getting the PC version very cheap (by selling the PS3 version after activating the PC version).

Regarding the PSASBR thing, I think the game will probably come with an online pass and the voucher will be for the PS3 online pass + VITA game + PSVITA online pass.

Buying the two games separately: $100. So if you sell your new voucher, you'll still have to buy the online pass separetely: at least $70 and considering that no one will probably sell it without wanting to make a profit, make that $80.

At that point I doubt Sony would even bother, it helps the sales of a new title and will probably boost Vita sales.

zroid

Banned
Sure, i just ment that Portal 2 for PS3 did allow for getting the PC version very cheap (by selling the PS3 version after activating the PC version).

I think the unique situation with Portal 2 is that Valve's primary (and invested) business is Steam. They're more concerned with people getting copies on Steam than PS3, so even if someone were to flip their disc, it means they were after the Steam version, and they paid $60 for it.

Sure, Valve's technically "losing a sale" when someone buys that used PS3 copy, but ultimately that person wasn't after the Steam version anyway so it's less of a problem.

Did I ever get an answer on if we know how getting the Vita version of SFxT will give you the PS3 DLC characters? I'm assuming you don't have to activate an unlock key for your vita characters, so is it coming with a code or something?

LuchaShaq

Banned
I understand except everyone that has played it, loved it. Some reviews were even put out and were glowing. Hope you give it a shot.

Like any halfway decent looking game.

If it has a demo or a physical version available for rental definitely.

If not? It's their own fault.

Edit:

FINALLY found a comfortable way to hold a vita. I bought a few on amazon and sent them back because I didn't like them and was growing a bit frustrated.

GF saw nyko battery+ grip at the store and bought it for me on a whim. It's not perfect but it's way better than with no grip.

The big problem is that it doesn't fit in my case with the vita and that screen is too nice to allow scratches so I'll have to be taking it on and off constantly at least for any game that is reflex or analog stick intensive.

branny

Did I ever get an answer on if we know how getting the Vita version of SFxT will give you the PS3 DLC characters? I'm assuming you don't have to activate an unlock key for your vita characters, so is it coming with a code or something?
Yeah, it'll likely just be a code.

sajj316

Madden is much better in regards to chopiness with the patch. Games play much smoother now. This is how the game should have shipped. It's still not perfect though.

That's good to hear! I don't expect perfect but good enough for a smooth Madden handheld experience.

VanWinkle

So...if nobody takes video footage of Most Wanted (whether they're allowed to or not), I WILL be mad. I can't be held responsible for what I do if nobody provides the goods.

Skyzard

Banned
Actually probably not going to grab it unless a demo is amazingly good.

Just seems like OMG NOSTALGIA GUYS! and not much else.

Sandbox 2D GTA clone which looks to be very well made and packed with content. Seems like a must have for a handheld console..even just loading it up to mess around in the world sort of thing. Has a lot of sections where the mechanics are like some of the great retro classics.

Just seems like a good buy with a lot of replay value. I probably wouldn't play it for too long on PS3 but vita just seems right..

ZeroAKA

I got my first platinum trophy ever. :D
h0Xij.jpg
I don't think I'm going to touch this game ever again.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, anyone who's playing Hatsune Miku...Does Weekender Girl feel just a few ms off? I consider myself in tune with rhythm games and IIDX timing, but I felt like something was a slight hair off on that song. I was fighting every natural instinct trying to get Cools in my play. :/

Kazerei

Banned
I just played through MGS3 for the fourth time on Vita. This game never gets old. It's even better in new game plus 'cause you can screw around with enemies.

Roubjon

Ok, anyone who's playing Hatsune Miku...Does Weekender Girl feel just a few ms off? I consider myself in tune with rhythm games and IIDX timing, but I felt like something was a slight hair off on that song. I was fighting every natural instinct trying to get Cools in my play. :/

I can almost guarantee that you are hitting the notes too early. I think the majority of the game is a teensy bit off synch so you have to wait a couple of milliseconds before you would normally hit it. When I say it's a little bit off synch I really do mean a very, very small amount, to the point where it really doesn't matter that much, but if you are going for good accuracy you have to take it into consideration.

I think the slow note speed for low BPM songs screws me up as well. I wish you could adjust that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I can almost guarantee that you are hitting the notes too early. I think the majority of the game is a teensy bit off synch so you have to wait a couple of milliseconds before you would normally hit it. When I say it's a little bit off synch I really do mean a very, very small amount, to the point where it really doesn't matter that much, but if you are going for good accuracy you have to take it into consideration.

I think the slow note speed for low BPM songs screws me up as well. I wish you could adjust that.

I almost thought this (tempo), but the song after it felt fine. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I can feel those 3-5 ms in Bemani-like titles, and its definitely there here, haha.

E: But you may be right...Some songs feel 1-2 ms off, some perfect. I guess I can't judge right yet. I'll get through the playlist and then come back and replay after letting songs simmer a bit, haha.

Apath

I got my first platinum trophy ever. :D

I don't think I'm going to touch this game ever again.
That was my first platinum trophy too, and I felt the same way after getting it.

Actually it's my first game getting 100% of the trophies/achievements. I don't have any 360 games either with 100%; just ones that require one more (or in some cases DLC was added that made it impossible to get them all).

I almost thought this (tempo), but the song after it felt fine. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I can feel those 3-5 ms in Bemani-like titles, and its definitely there here, haha.

E: But you may be right...Some songs feel 1-2 ms off, some perfect. I guess I can't judge right yet. I'll get through the playlist and then come back and replay after letting songs simmer a bit, haha.

General consensus in the Project DIVA thread is the game is indeed a very tiny bit off in general, with some songs worse than others.

Eusis

Atlus has also run out of Persona games to port to Sony handhelds.
Persona 3 Complete! Restored content from Fes, animated scenes for the female protagonist, and all the improvements P4/G and P3P introduced! And maybe they'll make the Answer more digestible.

Seriously though, that doesn't sound completely unreasonable should P4G be a big enough success. Unlikely, but not completely out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom