• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

Cows on a BiPlane (LBPVita) is fantastic, lol. http://vita.lbp.me/v/0gj3

Playing community levels make me wish i had a half-decent imagination and was good at creating.

I made a versus level for LBP2 that involved dodging electric anchors underwater while getting prize bobbles. It came out alright, but I wish I had polished it more. :( I should try to remake it in LBP Vita but better executed.

Carl

Hoooooly crap. If you guys haven't played this yet, you're in for a pleasant surprise. :D

Never played it before, looking forward to give it a go. Hopefully PSM does well and the games get lots of sales. Would be nice to see.

You're a horrible person :(

Charming. Why? :p

I made a versus level for LBP2 that involved dodging electric anchors underwater while getting prize bobbles. It came out alright, but I wish I had polished it more. :( I should try to remake it in LBP Vita but better executed.

Sounds good, you definitely should do. Only thing i ever tried to make was a really terrible platformer. I just suck at coming up with a good idea, and suck even more at executing it.

Um...anyone notice that BlazBlue is on sale? It's $24.99 now.

But when I try to purchase it, I get a connection error. Same thing happened when I tried buying Sound Shape when it was on sale, so I just never ended up buying it at all.

Why don't you want my money, Sony?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

But when I try to purchase it, I get a connection error. Same thing happened when I tried buying Sound Shape when it was on sale, so I just never ended up buying it at all.

Amazing game, but really tough to get good at :(

Actually, that's the new MSRP. You're good. :D Retail dropped to $30 and digital is $25.

Why don't any of the other games' digital prices reflect the MSRP? I thought Sony wanted to promote adoption of digital downloads.

What a shame.

I'm in the US by the way.

Skyzard

Banned
Understandable, 2:30 am ;) So much fun in multi though, even with the randoms though you know, just had a few games although he said he was lagging a bit. Stay up and play EU.

A press release from EA Poland on 9/19 states the 360 and PS3 versions are still arriving in late October while the Vita version is now slated for "Spring 2013." The story was picked up by a few different PlayStation specific forums. Right now it's unknown if this applies only to the Polish release.

Don't believe that.

Just sayin.

Vitacat

I played Super Crate Box on my iPad a few months ago, and quickly gave up because, like MANY iOS action games, it really needs physical controls. Virtual controls suck. That was a big part of my decision to get one of the new gaming handhelds, which led to my Vita.

I hope to see more top tier iOS games get ported to PSM. Many of them would be soooo much better on the Vita with real controls.

Carl

I played Super Crate Box on my iPad a few months ago, and quickly gave up because, like MANY iOS action games, it really needs physical controls. Virtual controls suck. That was a big part of my decision to get one of the new gaming handhelds, which led to my Vita.

I hope to see more top tier iOS games get ported to PSM. Many of them would be soooo much better on the Vita with real controls.

Sony actually managed to swing a fair few XPERIA Play exclusives, so let's hope they can do the same for PSM

d1rtn4p

Pulled the trigger on a wifi model and a 32gb card. Now that LBP is out for it, I couldn't wait anymore :) Question: I'm pondering getting gravity rush because I love open world games, but the anime art style has me a little weary. I'm more of a western gamer; anyone care to share their thoughts on the game?

Pulled the trigger on a wifi model and a 32gb card. Now that LBP is out for it, I couldn't wait anymore :) Question: I'm pondering getting gravity rush because I love open world games, but the anime art style has me a little weary. I'm more of a western gamer; anyone care to share their thoughts on the game?
It might not be for you, then.

It's open world in the sense that you get to explore large areas, but that's about it. There is no variety in what you do at all.

Vitacat

The style and visuals are the best part of the game IMO. Absolutely brilliant eye candy.

The game itself is apparently loved by some, and not so much by others.

I love it. But I'm taking it as a whole, rather than picking on the shortcomings (i.e. repetitive combat). It's definitely one of the Vita's best exclusives, and a favorite around these parts.

You played the free demo? See what you think. Keep in mind the full game is quite a bit better.

d1rtn4p

The style and visuals are the best part of the game IMO. Absolutely brilliant eye candy.

The game itself is apparently loved by some, and not so much by others.

I love it. But I'm taking it as a whole, rather than picking on the shortcomings (i.e. repetitive combat). It's definitely one of the Vita's best exclusives, and a favorite around these parts.

You played the free demo? See what you think. Keep in mind the full game is quite a bit better.

Thanks! Grabbing the demo now

Skyzard

Banned
It might not be for you, then.

It's open world in the sense that you get to explore large areas, but that's about it. There is no variety in what you do at all.

This post may have been a bit confusing :p

I think he means, not too much - don't expect fallout or skyrim level of content either ..but it's still worth having and playing.

Zoibie

I have to anti-recommend Gravity Rush.

It's my thing now :p

Have to agree, unfortunately. I still intend to finish it at some point but I got incredibly sick of the combat. I love the world and the characters but I have no desire to keep playing the main game.

Mutant Blobs though is a winner.

Vitacat

As long as people are recommending games, I'd like to plug Mortal Kombat for a moment.

Dropped to $30 on PSN so I bought it. Beat the ladder with Scorpion a little while ago. Just started story mode. So much fun. Yes the character models have dumbed down poly counts, but in every other respect the game is pretty great. If you have any nostalgia for the original 2D MK's back in the 90's, this game is also amazing fan service. Controls are perfect, frame rate is perfect (smooth 60 fps), and tons of content.

EDIT: And yes, Velocity and Mutant Blobs are great. Also, check out MiniSquadron. One of my favorite iOS games ported to PSP Mini where it gets proper controls. At its best on the Vita. I think it's still only 99cents.

zroid

Banned

Hexagon would be AMAZING on the Vita, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Maybe as a mini, but I doubt that'll happen either.

After VVVVVV's definitive 3DS port, I think Hexagon's more likely to end up on the eShop, but the game would work much better on Vita. The screen is better suited for it (with or without touch controls).

EDIT: hhnnnngh, just imagining it now ,__,

VanWinkle

As long as people are recommending games, I'd like to plug Mortal Kombat for a moment.

Dropped to $30 on PSN so I bought it. Beat the ladder with Scorpion a little while ago. Just started story mode. So much fun. Yes the character models have dumbed down poly counts, but in every other respect the game is pretty great. If you have any nostalgia for the original 2D MK's back in the 90's, this game is also amazing fan service. Controls are perfect, frame rate is perfect (smooth 60 fps), and tons of content.

EDIT: And yes, Velocity and Mutant Blobs are great. Also, check out MiniSquadron. One of my favorite iOS games ported to PSP Mini where it gets proper controls. At its best on the Vita. I think it's still only 99cents.

Mortal Kombat is excellent. Bad character models (really really bad in fact) but dat frame rate. Great port, with the visuals being the only (but easily overlooked) flaw.

Looks fantastic. Also looks like it would be terrible with virtual joysticks, so I will definitely buy this on Vita.

Carl

Hexagon would be AMAZING on the Vita, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Maybe as a mini, but I doubt that'll happen either.

After VVVVVV's definitive 3DS port, I think Hexagon's more likely to end up on the eShop, but the game would work much better on Vita. The screen is better suited for it (with or without touch controls).

EDIT: hhnnnngh, just imagining it now ,__,

It might come to PSM, you never know.

Carl

Didn't even think of that, would be cool. I wonder how many devs are actually on board with that service.

Quite a lot, apparently. They have 30 games lined up for launch at the beginning of next month, and more lined up after that.

SDK is released publicly in November, i believe ($99 a year to publish on PSN) so hopefully the great games won't be long before they start pouring in :)

SteeloDMZ

Banned

I thought GR was mediocre with some truly awful missions. Save the money and get Sound Shapes, Mutant Blob or other good games.

Vitacat

Looks fantastic. Also looks like it would be terrible with virtual joysticks

Oh yes, it is terrible. iOS diehards will claim the controls are OK. But they are just kidding themselves. They suck.

And yet, like various other iOS games, it's touted as having great controls. It saddens me that an entire generation of gamers seems to be forgetting the importance of good controls. For 2 years I mainly played iOS games, and tried so hard to convince myself that touch-only controls were good enough. But in the end they just frustrated me, and left me longing for something better. So glad I have my Vita now.

zroid

Banned
Real talk: Any game with "virtual" anything (joystick, buttons, etc) on the touchscreen has shit controls. By design. Or lack thereof.

referring to touch only games, of course, not necessarily games that have supplemented standard controls with a virtual button or two

Carl

Just to point out that PSM games can have touch only controls - i believe Beat Slider (FuturLab's first PSM game) is touch based.

Koroviev

Oh yes, it is terrible. iOS diehards will claim the controls are OK. But they are just kidding themselves. They suck.

And yet, like various other iOS games, it's touted as having great controls. It saddens me that an entire generation of gamers seems to be forgetting the importance of good controls. For 2 years I mainly played iOS games, and tried so hard to convince myself that touch-only controls were good enough. But in the end they just frustrated me, and left me longing for something better. So glad I have my Vita now.

I think iOS and Android have the potential to be great platforms for original, quality content. However, as it stands, the control is lacking for most action-oriented genres, and many publishers seem to view the mobile platforms as little more than cheap alternatives to dedicated console gaming, rather than proper platforms deserving of actual games (i.e., not pay-to-win "games").

ZeroAKA

I haven't been keeping up with Soul Sacrifice at all beyond the occasional PS Blog articles, but the more I see and read about this game, the more interested I become. I really hope the game does well, especially given how much coverage it's been getting at TGS.

Ran rp

Some Liberation bullshots.

acl14b3j6k.jpg

acl1711kis.jpg

acl13sgk10.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492698

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom