• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In most cases. Patchwork Heroes looks noticeably worse.

It's probably the uprez. Why Sony didn't allow the same view options like the PSX emulator, I'll never know...

Kazerei

Banned
Wait, Patchwork Heroes doesn't let you turn off bilinear filtering?

Not long. Never owned a PSP and was wondering if there was a reason to ever get one. I guess not, but I still don't know what PSP games are worth picking up.

What kind of games do you like?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not long. Never owned a PSP and was wondering if there was a reason to ever get one. I guess not, but I still don't know what PSP games are worth picking up.

GTA: Liberty City Stories (avoid Vice City Stories, buggy mess that is better off dead)
GTA: Chinatown Wars (provided you don't have it on other platforms)
Disgaea 1
Disgaea 2 (again: other platforms)
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Val Chron 2
(SMT:) Persona
(SMT:) Persona 2: Innocent Sin
and then bitch with the rest of us buyers for Eternal Punishment to be released in the US ;___;
(SMT:) Persona 3: Portable (not as good as the definitive FES but worth playing if you never/can't get FES' version)
Killzone: Liberation (and I'm not really a fan of it but it's solid for early PSP)
Gurumin: A Monsterious Adventure
Metal Gear: AC!D
Metal Gear: AC!D 2
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (avoid the Portable Ops, they're TURRIBLE)
Street Alpha 3
Guilty Gear: XX: The Midnight Carnival: Accent Core
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

Just to name a few and most of those are J/SRPGs but fuck it: PSP1 was an SRPG/JRPG powerhouse.

Though I've heard:

Juggle 6
Soul Calibur PSP
Trials in the Sky
Y's series

were good.

Not to mention PSX titles if you haven't played JRPGs, MGS, Biohazards...

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It's probably the uprez. Why Sony didn't allow the same view options like the PSX emulator, I'll never know...

Yeah.
Resolution issues bother me. Wish there was a native pixel setting like PSX games.
Other than that, they look great due to the refresh rate and colors.

Wait, Patchwork Heroes doesn't let you turn off bilinear filtering?
You can turn off bilinear filtering, but as the two quotes above mention, it's a resolution issue. With the game's style, it just looks slightly pixelated and messy, which sort of kills the aesthetic.

Kazerei

Banned
There are very few i don't like. I assume not all PSP titles are on the PSN, however?

Yeah, not all PSP titles are available on PSN, unfortunately. Here's my shortlist (edit: of game recommendations!)

Dissidia 012
Final Fantasy IV
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Valkyria Chronicles II
Ys Seven
Ys: The Oath in Felghana

You can turn off bilinear filtering, but as the two quotes above mention, it's a resolution issue. With the game's style, it just looks slightly pixelated and messy, which sort of kills the aesthetic.

Looking at screenshots, I think I sort of understand. I'm guessing it looks "softer" on PSP, the way it was meant to look.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Yeah, not all PSP titles are available on PSN, unfortunately. Here's my shortlist

Dissidia 012
Final Fantasy IV
Valkyria Chronicles II
Ys Seven

Looking at screenshots, I think I sort of understand. I'm guessing it looks "softer" on PSP, the way it was meant to look.
I thought that was a list of games that aren't on PSN, and I was so confused.

I can't really describe it. I just don't enjoy playing the game on the Vita at all. :(

Geez, the Escape Plan patching is getting out of control. Latest patch is nearly 1.5 GB. The game size has already bloated to 2 GB, I hate to see how big it is after this latest patch.

Hope they are optimizing the storage usage, cause every GB counts, even on a 32 GB card.

LastNac

Yeah, not all PSP titles are available on PSN, unfortunately. Here's my shortlist

Dissidia 012
Final Fantasy IV
Valkyria Chronicles II
Ys Seven

Well, I want to pick God of War up on the PS3, but what about the FFVII prequel? Is that any good?

Geez, the Escape Plan patching is getting out of control. Latest patch is nearly 1.5 GB. The game size has already bloated to 2 GB, I hate to see how big it is after this latest patch.

Hope they are optimizing the storage usage, cause every GB counts, even on a 32 GB card.

Yep, I think I'll skip the DC DLC and simply delete the game (I bought every other dlc released). I just need the GB.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
(SMT:) Persona 3: Portable (not as good as the definitive FES but worth playing if you never/can't get FES' version)

NO,aside of my opinion on P3/P3FES quality(it is a complete disgrace to the Persona name and quality..it was a long time since P2 and they didn't know what the hell they are doing I guess) but even if you don't have a PS2(srsly get one) just don't touch P3P since it's completely "butchered" Persona experience and game, when anyone want to play Persona game play it in it's original form/how the devs intended it to be, do not touch this ripoff.

Samurai and Dragons getting re-release? In japan?
bayonetta card huh

bayonetta vita confirmed

If someone buys that game now the blood is on your hands.
i'll be long gone before i even see the results

Waiting for the inevitable remake.
tumblr_mbg2xqA3rz1r79k9c.gif

Kyon

Banned
NO,aside of my opinion on P3/P3FES quality(it is a complete disgrace to the Persona name and quality..it was a long time since P2 and they didn't know what the hell they are doing I guess) but even if you don't have a PS2(srsly get one) just don't touch P3P since it's completely "butchered" Persona experience and game, when anyone want to play Persona game play it in it's original form/how the devs intended it to be, do not touch this ripoff.

YASSS educate them on the lesser Persona

iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

LastNac

My God, I just had a vision! What if they had a trailer for a FFVII remake and at the end the word "INEVITABLE" pops up, letters disappear and only "VITA" is left. MEGATON!!!

cyborg009

Banned
Vita would be saved if it got Compilation of Final Fantasy including Crisis Core qHD, Dirge of Cerberus Less Sucky Edition, Before Crisis remake, and Final Fantasy VII
remake

Probably with all the DLC and jank they've since released. There's a Hatsune Miku card in the game now.

I wonder if they're actually making money off this game? do you think so?

and WOW at anime girls of sega consoles

Noi

My favorite time spent on any version of P3 was playing through Maniac mode on P3P. It's my definitive version of the game.

:)

Takao

Banned
Depends. Have you played FFVII?

Because I hadn't before I played Crisis Core, and I had the complete opposite opinion of these two incorrect posters.

Crisis Core is a prequel so you don't really need to play VII to understand the game. Heck, if you don't play VII you get the shock at the end.

I wonder if they're actually making money off this game? do you think so?

and WOW at anime girls of sega consoles

I don't think SEGA would continue to make DLC for the game if it wasn't working out for them. It's been out for a few months now so the initial budget should've already been spent.

Noi

Crisis Core is a prequel so you don't really need to play VII to understand the game. Heck, if you don't play VII you get the shock at the end.

I played FFVII and the ending still made me bawl like a 3 year old.

Disclaimer: Zack was already my favorite FF character before CC came out.

B.O.O.M

"Easter Egg
Fans of the PlayStation.Blog can now play as Sid, Jeff or as me in Retro City Rampage. Make sure to choose me (Rey Gutierrez) as your avatar. My hair looks great in all its retro 8-bit glory!"

rey-avatar-rcr.jpg

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
play your micro and go away
eres muy envidioso

You certainly don't, but I don't think Crisis Core gives any reason to be invested in the characters or story if you don't already have fondness for them. It's more nonsensical than the usual fare, and the game itself wasn't fun or varied enough to save that.

Takao

Banned
"Easter Egg
Fans of the PlayStation.Blog can now play as Sid, Jeff or as me in Retro City Rampage. Make sure to choose me (Rey Gutierrez) as your avatar. My hair looks great in all its retro 8-bit glory!"

rey-avatar-rcr.jpg

This is why the game has yet to pass MS cert.

Also to counteract his terribly wrong impressions. I have only played P3P and it's perfectly serviceable and the game is so much more suited to portable play than actually console play. Grinding whenever you have free time makes it king in my opinion and the only reason I'm even playing the game is because it is on a portable.

Eusis

That bad, eh? Never played FFVII. Waiting for the inevitable remake.
Play it. There is a very, very strong chance that the remake will never be more than wishful thinking and perhaps a lightly updated port to a system like the 3DS if you're lucky. Which may be worth it for a much better translation as SE tends to re-localize these games upon porting, but without anything resembling confirmation you may as well play it, at worst we really do get this amazing HD remake for PS4/X720/(Wii U/PC?)... only for it to have taken like 5 years since you played the game anyway, making it a reasonably fresh experience.

LastNac

Play it. There is a very, very strong chance that the remake will never be more than wishful thinking and perhaps a lightly updated port to a system like the 3DS if you're lucky. Which may be worth it for a much better translation as SE tends to re-localize these games upon porting, but without anything resembling confirmation you may as well play it, at worst we really do get this amazing HD remake for PS4/X720/(Wii U/PC?)... only for it to have taken like 5 years since you played the game anyway, making it a reasonably fresh experience.

While we are on the subject of remakes. What are the cahnces of 9, or 12 joining 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom