• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, my fiancee likes to watch TV, so our new apartment has a second room in it for storage and my LEGO, computer, extra TV, and gaming stuff. This way, she can do whatever in the living room while I get to do my thing in the second room. It's nice that my Vita is the ONLY gaming I do outside of a splash of PC gaming anymore.

Viva la Vita, eh?

well, i thought the "Never stop gaming" could be coupled with something like "Take your history with you, discover your future" , nodding at the PSP, PS1, PSM, etc library

I still think the demographic they are after in Gaming Dads is narrow but they got to grab what they can.
I've always thought to target people on the go using a fun "toss the vita around mechanic" but target people on the move. Not be one age range in particular. Start with the vita on the desk of a high school kids dresser. He gets up, puts it in his pocket and heads out the door. Shows him playing in class. Teacher gets upset and takes it away. Later teacher turns it on plays it till he goes home. Wife gets upset and takes it...have that happen a couple times. Then end with the tagline "Never Stop Living." Because Vita means life. I want a marketing job very badly.

It can but the range of single shot seems to be reduced while the double barrel is less effective than before.

sounds good enough. as long as it isnt the only gun worth using anymore il be fine with it. I love the hunter and its drone so il go back to using that hopefully. Just hope the frame rate doesnt still get to me. I genuinely believe there is a good game in there.

The 4v4 doesnt bother me at all, it leads to more skill based games and the small maps mean its fine.

I actually think the weapon types are quite interesting and not just the same guns with slightly different stats over and over again.

The secondary fire and touch interface work fine as well.

Its just the frame rate and the overly barebones games modes. team deathmatch is fine but survival is over so damn fast its pointless. Throw in CTF and domination and fix the frame rate and id prob get quite addicted to it.

But thye wont do any of this sadly I feel. I wonder if people are still playing retribution as that had several game modes and ran pretty well.

Sid

sounds good enough. as long as it isnt the only gun worth using anymore il be fine with it. I love the hunter and its drone so il go back to using that hopefully. Just hope the frame rate doesnt still get to me. I genuinely believe there is a good game in there.

The 4v4 doesnt bother me at all, it leads to more skill based games and the small maps mean its fine.

I actually think the weapon types are quite interesting and not just the same guns with slightly different stats over and over again.

The secondary fire and touch interface work fine as well.

Its just the frame rate and the overly barebones games modes. team deathmatch is fine but survival is over so damn fast its pointless. Throw in CTF and domination and fix the frame rate and id prob get quite addicted to it.

But thye wont do any of this sadly I feel. I wonder if people are still playing retribution as that had several game modes and ran pretty well.
Framerate is still a bit spotty in the courtyard and the sewers.

JoshHood

The main interesting bit there:

Have you enjoyed developing for the PS Vita?
Marcus Pukropski: Well, we haven’t finished yet! To be honest, I thought it would be easier, because lots of people said the hardware was very similar. But in the end there were so many differences in the operating system that we practically had to re-write most of the engine. And that of course takes more time.

I've always thought to target people on the go using a fun "toss the vita around mechanic" but target people on the move. Not be one age range in particular. Start with the vita on the desk of a high school kids dresser. He gets up, puts it in his pocket and heads out the door. Shows him playing in class. Teacher gets upset and takes it away. Later teacher turns it on plays it till he goes home. Wife gets upset and takes it...have that happen a couple times. Then end with the tagline "Never Stop Living." Because Vita means life. I want a marketing job very badly.

Throw in people doing other things like one of the people uses it to check his facebook / twitter. One to buy something off amazon, one to watch a video.... but mostly games.

Framerate is still a bit spotty in the courtyard and the sewers.

just want a good online game to chill out on now and then. Hopefully i will be able to get back into it. I got to the late 20's lvl wise. 40's max but a game shouldn't hold you based only on lvling and unlocks like the COD formula.... sadly it seems most people do these days.

Skyzard

Banned
We need NFS impressions and we need it now damnit!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43120911&postcount=177

the guy from the thread said:
Before I wrap this up it's also worth mentioning I spent about ten minutes with the Vita version of Most Wanted. After playing the console version for a couple hours the visual downgrade was clear, although not by much. Most Wanted on Vita seemed to be hitting at 25 or 30 fps with reduced textures and, considering its peers on the handheld, looked fantastic. I was told that it's also feature complete and, aside from a drop (down from eight) to four in multiplayer, an identical game. Additionally, through an Origin account, SP can be shared between the PS3 version of the game. Game progress cannot be shared, meaning you won't be able to carry completed races or cars found over, but SP will apparently be universal. Lastly EA was still not commenting on whether or not they're going to follow SCEA's lead with "buy it on PS3, get it on Vita" promotion but, hey, we can hope.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah a no comment at this point means its not going to happen.

Best case scenario I think is that if you buy the digital PS3 version you get the digital Vita version as a #YOPO.

I think its more likely buy the physical version get the Vita physical version for $20 the same way Sony did it with MLB earlier this year.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah a no comment at this point means its not going to happen.

Best case scenario I think is that if you buy the digital PS3 version you get the digital Vita version as a #YOPO.

I think its more likely buy the physical version get the Vita physical version for $20 the same way Sony did it with MLB earlier this year.

$80 for both would make this a must-buy for me, even if it were a PS+ only sort of thing.

PSY・S;43121367 said:
What we need are direct feed videos.

I hear that. It's weird that they're not letting people record it (from what it seems), I'm surprised that 30 second clip hasn't been taken down yet. I completely trust Criterion, I absolutely love their Burnout games and I'll be getting NFS: MW day one but I just want to see some direct footage.

Rainbow Moon is a really great, deep and rewarding SRPG. If you're an old school SRPG gamer, or generally just loved those types of games - it'll be right up your alley. There's tons of customizing to be had, overall I really enjoyed it. It's going to be glorious on the VITA though, definitely will rebuy it. As per their previous releases, Rainbow Moon has an AWESOME soundtrack as well.

I'm also super excited that they might be bringing over their amazing Soldner-X shmups to the Vita as well.

UberTag

Well...that new "vita is doomed" thread looks fun
I'm too busy playing games on my doomed VITA to post in "Vita is doomed" threads.
Clearly the folks that do must not have enough games to play on their other not-doomed systems.

Well Sony finally fixed my issue with having to repurchase MBA by putting that amount in my wallet and telling me to buy it again. Only took to weeks and 4 missed calls which came during the times I specifically told them not to ring. :/

I am also in the Vita dad club! And married to boot. So yea the Vita is THE go to machine for me. Being able to just put the system on standby and pick up right where I left off is awesome, because as you guys know interruptions happen and happen often.

darkwing

I'm too busy playing games on my doomed VITA to post in "Vita is doomed" threads.
Clearly the folks that do must not have enough games to play on their other not-doomed systems.

ouch!

anyways going to play Burnout Paradise 2 on my Vita

and oh, Vitadad here also, only turned on my PS3 a few times after getting the Vita a few weeks ago

Carl

Well Sony finally fixed my issue with having to repurchase MBA by putting that amount in my wallet and telling me to buy it again. Only took to weeks and 4 missed calls which came during the times I specifically told them not to ring. :/

I ended up buying MBA three times :p

waypoetic

Banned
NFS isnt even cross-save? Lol EA. Only buying Vita version anyway

I watched the keynote from Eurogamer Expo yesterday and the dude from Criterion talked about cloud-saves. I guess that's where it's at. EA is just the publisher, what the eff do they know :]

EDIT: Meaning : play on the iOS version for example and continue on PS3.

Skyzard

Banned
I know it would be better on consoles/pc but I really want a vita version of NFSMW and can't really justify getting it twice..hoping it doesn't disappoint. Apparently the embargo on the vita version ended today so hopefully some more stuff should come in soon..

dsigns1

I am also in the Vita dad club! And married to boot. So yea the Vita is THE go to machine for me. Being able to just put the system on standby and pick up right where I left off is awesome, because as you guys know interruptions happen and happen often.

Add me to the list. My daughter will be a year next week. What I really like is being able to just power off the Vita if I need to, then just power it back on and continue where I left off.

Hey that's me (11 month old)! Dad with limited time finding the Vita (and before it, a huge psp fan) to be completely awesome.

I can vouch for that demographic.

yup - the fun thing is the 3DS/Vita combination is working out exactly the same as the DS/PSP combination where i swing from one to the other on a per game basis. Which is pretty great.

GAMING DADS UNITE! All we have to lose is our TV time :(

I am a Vitadad 100%. I own a PS3 but don't feel right hogging the TV from my family. I also really like playing games while I have TV and stuff on with my wife. I get a ton of use out of handhelds. If I PC game its on a laptop sitting on the couch. The Vita is absolutely perfect for fathers/moms who get interrupted while playing or can't hog the TV.

the other big possible killer app is to ape the Wii U and get remote play to Vita running for as many games as possible.

That way if you own a PS3 already then you already have access to a library - obviously, i don't need to point out what the down side is here! but if people cut support then that's a possible way to go.

It also gets the drop on WiiU by being -if unlocked- functionable with your existing library from the get go.

(i personally don't have much use for the off screen stuff, but i can see how it could be of use to some people)

Definitely a Vita dad. Two kids under 4, too much work, and only one tv for the family. But I have a 30 min bus ride for my commute and otherwise rock the vita/3ds whenever I can.

Although i Must say, all the reviews for Dishonored are making me want to cheat on my portables with a gaming laptop...

Another gaming dad checking in! Been working a lot of extra overtime on top of having a second job, so I don't have a whole lot of time or even desire to head down to the Mancave for some tethered TV gaming. Sometimes I'd just rather hop in bed and play the Vita.

One more Vitadad here (the demographic grows!!)

Honestly, if it weren't for the Vita I don't think I'd get much gaming in at all these days (2 kids 3 and under).

VitaDads unite! My daughter is 7 months old. Love my Vira so I don't hog the TV and I'm looking forward to Wii U for "off screen" game pad play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom