• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

I've been smugly filling a 32GB fridge since importing a US memory card, but I only have 1 gig left - and don't games need twice the space so they can download and unpack? So I'm going to have to start juggling now too.

when is JSR? Nearly buckled when it launched on PS3 but I've managed to hold off
I don't think I could fit all my Vita games on a 32GB, much less my PSP and PSone as well. I really wish they'd crack out some larger sizes.

As for JSR, I'm not sure, I just know it's out very soon. I can't find a decent site that neatly and plainly lists 'Upcoming UK Vita games' with reliable release dates. I just check the store most days instead.

Edit: 19th October by the look of it. Just in time for me to take it on holiday!

Fuck knows when Retro City Rampage will arrive :(

depward

way WAY too much - but that's the same for each system. I like the vita - i like what it has to offer me as a dad with limited time on the comfy sofa infront of the TV (though i can appreciate that target demographic is waifer thin)
Hey that's me (11 month old)! Dad with limited time finding the Vita (and before it, a huge psp fan) to be completely awesome.

I can vouch for that demographic.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Hey that's me (11 month old)! Dad with limited time finding the Vita (and before it, a huge psp fan) to be completely awesome.

yup - the fun thing is the 3DS/Vita combination is working out exactly the same as the DS/PSP combination where i swing from one to the other on a per game basis. Which is pretty great.

GAMING DADS UNITE! All we have to lose is our TV time :(

Foshy

That's funny, my dad is pretty much the opposite of you guys. He hogs the TV to play F1 2012/GT5 while I play on the Vita :p

jerd

As someone who has not followed the Vita whatsoever, I was wondering if there are good RPGs currently for the system/announced for the near future that may warrant a christmas purchase?

Also, does anyone know how good the Vita version of MLB The Show plays? I'm a huge baseball fan and the Show '09 is one of my favorite baseball games (though it is the only one from that series I have played)

AwRy108

If we are doing twitter stuff you should all follow me @tamaster44 ;)

More on topic though, I feel releasing smart as, as a retail game on the 30th is a HUGE mistake. It's going to sell crap.

Releasing it at $30 is going to kill it; releasing it on the 30th is going to bury it.

sajj316

It should be somewhere on your son or daughters birth certificate.

Just checked, all three of my kids have it.

DCharlie and other Vitadads, we really are one of the core markets that Sony is aiming at. Long time gamers who are now managing a full time job and family. We still want to game on the comfy couch but not piss off the wife or kids who obviously control the TV. In my case, they want the TV and still want me close in proximity. Vita has improved my family life ;P

SmokyDave

DCharlie and other Vitadads, we really are one of the core markets that Sony is aiming at. Long time gamers who are now managing a full time job and family. We still want to game on the comfy couch but not piss off the wife or kids who obviously control the TV. In my case, they want the TV and still want me close in proximity. Vita has improved my family life ;P

I smell a successful marketing campaign gestating....

Someone send a fax to Sony. Tell 'em to hire some old sportsmen, bung 'em in a minimalist living room, sprinkle in mum 'n' kids and away we go.

bede-x

Is the online on Ragnarok Odyssey region locked? I'm considering importing the American version, but it would be a bit of a bummer if it doesn't work online from Europe.

DCharlie

well, i thought the "Never stop gaming" could be coupled with something like "Take your history with you, discover your future" , nodding at the PSP, PS1, PSM, etc library

I still think the demographic they are after in Gaming Dads is narrow but they got to grab what they can.

Got a kid on the way so il be one in 6 months to.

However just with a full time job and wife who likes TV I get very little TV time as it is. My bro recently got a vita and has been completely converted as well. He has 2 kids and a commute and he loves the thing because of the freedom it gives him.

They really should at least partly target this thing at people like us. Just add more apps so we wouldnt need to buy a tablet as well. Im sure its actually a pretty big demographic that just arnt really aware of what the vita can do for them.

I really started to not have time to game much and ended up only playing for an hour after work and then friday and sat nights if I had the time. Then I started IOS gaming and loved the freedom it gave me to play on lunch breaks, in bed and while the wife watches TV. It was just the types of games were a bit limiting. Then I got the vita and it was just the best thing ever for me as I got to play the types of games I love with decent controls. The fact I can play in bed is prob the biggest factor to increasing my gaming time available to me as well.

Foshy

Is the online on Ragnarok Odyssey region locked? I'm considering importing the American version, but it would be a bit of a bummer if it doesn't work online from Europe.

The online functionality of DJ Max (leaderboards) is region-free, I don't see why it should be locked. Maybe someone else can 100% confirm this.

Ohnonono

I am a Vitadad 100%. I own a PS3 but don't feel right hogging the TV from my family. I also really like playing games while I have TV and stuff on with my wife. I get a ton of use out of handhelds. If I PC game its on a laptop sitting on the couch. The Vita is absolutely perfect for fathers/moms who get interrupted while playing or can't hog the TV.

DCharlie

the other big possible killer app is to ape the Wii U and get remote play to Vita running for as many games as possible.

That way if you own a PS3 already then you already have access to a library - obviously, i don't need to point out what the down side is here! but if people cut support then that's a possible way to go.

It also gets the drop on WiiU by being -if unlocked- functionable with your existing library from the get go.

(i personally don't have much use for the off screen stuff, but i can see how it could be of use to some people)

sajj316

well, i thought the "Never stop gaming" could be coupled with something like "Take your history with you, discover your future" , nodding at the PSP, PS1, PSM, etc library

I still think the demographic they are after in Gaming Dads is narrow but they got to grab what they can.

No doubt it's narrow. Most of us have bought a Vita and contributing to this thread already :)

Jawmuncher

the other big possible killer app is to ape the Wii U and get remote play to Vita running for as many games as possible.

That way if you own a PS3 already then you already have access to a library - obviously, i don't need to point out what the down side is here! but if people cut support then that's a possible way to go.

It also gets the drop on WiiU by being -if unlocked- functionable with your existing library from the get go.

(i personally don't have much use for the off screen stuff, but i can see how it could be of use to some people)

I would love to see Remote Play be a big deal for the PS3. I have a feeling its a go already on PS4. Make every game compatible. (Use the touch screen for L3 and R3) and touch pad for L2 and R2. Would be amazing.

bede-x

They really should at least partly target this thing at people like us. Just add more apps so we wouldnt need to buy a tablet as well. Im sure its actually a pretty big demographic that just arnt really aware of what the vita can do for them.

Even with more apps it would need a bigger screen to compete with tablets. It would just be competing with smartphones and that's a losing battle from the get go, since more people have them and they are significantly better at what they do than the Vita(other than games). People aren't gonna stop carrying smartphones because Vita gets more apps. They still need their phone.

But if they could make the rear touchpad work on a bigger version of the Vita and they made enough apps, it might be enough of a tablet for some.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Sony, please beef up the browser so it supports redtube and incognito mode.

but seriously, more media support would be nice. netflix is cool but vita should have all the media apps that PS3 has, they're only tiny and the deals should already be done (although I bet they forgot to put 'and portable' in the contracts..)

Sid

Hooked to burning skies MP,almost at level 23 and finished the campaign thrice till now,this game is fun.

Sony, please beef up the browser so it supports redtube and incognito mode.

but seriously, more media support would be nice. netflix is cool but vita should have all the media apps that PS3 has, they're only tiny and the deals should already be done (although I bet they forgot to put 'and portable' in the contracts..)
It supports redtube,you can't stream the videos they are all available for free download.As for incognito delete your history etc.

bede-x

The online functionality of DJ Max (leaderboards) is region-free, I don't see why it should be locked. Maybe someone else can 100% confirm this.

Would be cool if that's the case. Game looks great and it's always a nice feeling buying something that supports Xseed. Hope they do Ys Celceta next.

Louis

JSR is next week? Assuming you're in Europe I dunno if it will be the same for us though.

Where did you import your US card from? Only got a 4gb card ATM and considering upgrading the fridge…

I bought a 32 GB Memory Card a week ago from a Dutch site for 64 Euro's. I can give a link, but i dont know for sure if it's still on sale for that price, because the price was so low because the box was damaged.

pwack

No doubt it's narrow. Most of us have bought a Vita and contributing to this thread already :)

Definitely a Vita dad. Two kids under 4, too much work, and only one tv for the family. But I have a 30 min bus ride for my commute and otherwise rock the vita/3ds whenever I can.

Although i Must say, all the reviews for Dishonored are making me want to cheat on my portables with a gaming laptop...

sajj316

Definitely a Vita dad. Two kids under 4, too much work, and only one tv for the family. But I have a 30 min bus ride for my commute and otherwise rock the vita/3ds whenever I can.

Although i Must say, all the reviews for Dishonored are making me want to cheat on my portables with a gaming laptop...

I will admit, having an affair playing New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS XL .. feels kinky. Also expect to spend some time with big momma PS3 when Last of Us is out ...

I'll stop now .. getting weird

Hooked to burning skies MP,almost at level 23 and finished the campaign thrice till now,this game is fun.

It supports redtube,you can't stream the videos they are all available for free download.As for incognito delete your history etc.

Dem OLEDs (oval lactose emitting devices)!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Another gaming dad checking in! Been working a lot of extra overtime on top of having a second job, so I don't have a whole lot of time or even desire to head down to the Mancave for some tethered TV gaming. Sometimes I'd just rather hop in bed and play the Vita.

Afrikan

I don't know why some are not impressed by the graphics...they look amazing to me for a handheld. Looks like you are looking through a window.

I doubt it, but I hope this game has cross buy with the PS3 version....right now I wasn't ready to get the console version at launch, even though I really enjoyed the demo....maybe get the Vita one at launch however...but i'd buy the $60 PS3 digital version at launch if I could get the Vita digital version with it as well.

Omlagus

One more Vitadad here (the demographic grows!!)

Honestly, if it weren't for the Vita I don't think I'd get much gaming in at all these days (2 kids 3 and under).

Hanmik

I don't know why some are not impressed by the graphics...they look amazing to me for a handheld. Looks like you are looking through a window.

Race1.PNG

we have come a long way...

Yopis

Not a gaming dad but my fiance takes over the tv all the time. We love having friends over on weekends so vita helps a ton. No kids for a few more years but Im with you guys in spirit.

darkwing

As someone who has not followed the Vita whatsoever, I was wondering if there are good RPGs currently for the system/announced for the near future that may warrant a christmas purchase?

Also, does anyone know how good the Vita version of MLB The Show plays? I'm a huge baseball fan and the Show '09 is one of my favorite baseball games (though it is the only one from that series I have played)

I think Persona 4 Golden is the biggest RPG vita release for this year, aside from PSP games

no idea about MLB The Show but there was a patch for it I think recently (or was that Madden)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom