• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont think this has been posted in this particular OP, but this:

psvita-protective-film-screen-filter-hori_w300_h300.jpg

is your Vita's best friend. You may not know it yet, but just put them in the room together and they will make sweet, sweet love.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006VE40JQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The difference here was that the DS was still well established before the pirates managed to blow up open. The PSP and the Dreamcast was struggling, the pirates just finished them off. Likewise, if the crackers managed to escape the PSP's sandbox and allow Vita piracy, Sony may as well give up for the amount of games they're going to sell from that point forward.
Actually, I think the biggest difference is that piracy on the DS still requires additional hardware in the form of an R4 or other card, and you can't buy that additional hardware at Walmart or EBGames...

The PSP was blown wide open to rampant piracy and all you needed was an Internet connection and the ability to read. It is the first system that was that easy to mod since the Dreamcast (in fact, it was arguably much easier to mod than even the Dreamcast). Once one kid figured it out, he could just hand a USB key with the files on it to a friend and the system was CFW'd... Cost $0...

When games like God of War Ghost of Sparta and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker sell as badly as they did in North America (and they sold miserably - I don't think Peace Walker even hit six figures) - a region with 18+ Million PSPs in it - while the torrent sites report downloads in the millions for the English versions of the ISO files, AND everyone and their dog claims to have played the games, then pretending piracy did not have telling effect on the PSP's fortunes here in North America is at best naive, and at worst delusional, imho...

I don't know why. But I have the weirdest desire to take part in the $100 for $20 deal. I want to get more Vita stuff but I should probably have a memory card larger than 4GB

Sid

Actually, I think the biggest difference is that piracy on the DS still requires additional hardware in the form of an R4 or other card, and you can't buy that additional hardware at Walmart or EBGames...

The PSP was blown wide open to rampant piracy and all you needed was an Internet connection and the ability to read. It is the first system that was that easy to mod since the Dreamcast (in fact, it was arguably much easier to mod than even the Dreamcast). Once one kid figured it out, he could just hand a USB key with the files on it to a friend and the system was CFW'd... Cost $0...

When games like God of War Ghost of Sparta and Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker sell as badly as they did in North America (and they sold miserably - I don't think Peace Walker even hit six figures) - a region with 18+ Million PSPs in it - while the torrent sites report downloads in the millions for the English versions of the ISO files, AND everyone and their dog claims to have played the games, then pretending piracy did not have telling effect on the PSP's fortunes here in North America is at best naive, and at worst delusional, imho...
Excellent post.

Meh, kinda worn out on sf at this point. Looks like its going to be a cold Christmas for vita... at least for mine anyway.
I'll be getting AC3:L and that's about it this for this fall though my vita backlog already has about 4 games so it's going to be an awesome christmas for me and next year will be even better with games like killzone,tearaway,soul sacrifice etc. BTW what vita games are you looking forward to?

Carl

I will probably only be able to afford to get NFSMW on the 30th, and then I'll get AC3:L a couple of weeks after that.

Other way around for me. Assassin's Creed looks like a much better game for my tastes. But then NFS probably has more hours of fun.

Eh, fuck :p

zroid

Banned
I hope Tearaway is good. I have decent hopes for it and I think conceptually it's pretty neat, but the thought of central rear-touch mechanics (creative or not) kind of makes my face scrunch up and tongue curl.

VanWinkle

Does Near just not work for anybody anymore? I've tried it a few times since the firmware update (worked fine before then) and it always says "Error has occured" when I press the Near update thing to update my location.

Also, does Playstation Plus count towards the $100 on PSN? I was thinking about adding a year on the 28th with money I get from my birthday, and that would go a long way towards the final (I think I've spent about $45 this month so far on PSN).

ZeroAKA

I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games before, but the Vita one looks interesting. How are the replay values of the console games? I'm trying to decide whether to go digital or physical.

MisterC20XX

Does Near just not work for anybody anymore? I've tried it a few times since the firmware update (worked fine before then) and it always says "Error has occured" when I press the Near update thing to update my location.

My Near is working fine. I just wish it was more intuitive and made more sense to me.

Also, does Playstation Plus count towards the $100 on PSN? I was thinking about adding a year on the 28th with money I get from my birthday, and that would go a long way towards the final (I think I've spent about $45 this month so far on PSN).

"Since the promotion includes anything purchased with your wallet on the PlayStation Store, there are many ways to put purchases towards receiving a $20 credit. You can grab a PlayStation Plus 1-year subscription, or sign up for DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket. You can even hop into the video store and catch up on any new releases you may have missed!"

Source: PlayStation.com Blog

My thoughts: If I were doing a PS+ sub I'd probably buy some $20 or $50 codes and pay for it that way rather than a PS+ sub card just to be safe.

VanWinkle

My Near is working fine. I just wish it was more intuitive and made more sense to me.

Huh. Weird.

"Since the promotion includes anything purchased with your wallet on the PlayStation Store, there are many ways to put purchases towards receiving a $20 credit. You can grab a PlayStation Plus 1-year subscription, or sign up for DIRECTV NFL Sunday Ticket. You can even hop into the video store and catch up on any new releases you may have missed!"

Source: PlayStation.com Blog

My thoughts: If I were doing a PS+ sub I'd probably buy some $20 or $50 codes and pay for it that way rather than a PS+ sub card just to be safe.

Awesome, thanks. I was going to buy it with my credit card on the PS Store like I usually do anyway, so that works.

MisterC20XX

Huh. Weird.

I guess what I was trying to say was I don't always know how to use Near, it's not clear to me. Do I open Near and let it run when I play a game? Does it work automatically in the background? Do all games use Near? Lol, I guess I should probably read a Near FAQ. :)

I've never played any of the Assassin's Creed games before, but the Vita one looks interesting. How are the replay values of the console games? I'm trying to decide whether to go digital or physical.

Depends. If you like collecting stuff and doing side missions, the AC games have been pretty good with that. The prob is there isn't much to do after that, maybe besides MP.

I'm going to wait for the game size, if its pretty big (1.5GB+) I might just go going physical.

Hagi

Just got a Vita today, it's a pretty awesome system. Game had a good deal going to i got the system, a 4gb memory card, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 13. Immediately traded Fifa 13 at another store for Metal Gear Solid. :p

I take it Sony have removed the easy way to switch accounts? Went on my US account but it won't let me save to my memory card. :/ Totally stupid that they don't let you have more than one account i want to try the Zero Escape demo. Think i'm going to have to get a larger memory card already, jumped on the Persona 2 and Trails of the Sky bundle and don't have space for Trails.

Sid

Just got a Vita today, it's a pretty awesome system. Game had a good deal going to i got the system, a 4gb memory card, LBP, Uncharted and Fifa 13. Immediately traded Fifa 13 at another store for Metal Gear Solid. :p

I take it Sony have removed the easy way to switch accounts?Went on my US account but it won't let me save to my memory card. :/ Totally stupid that they don't let you have more than one account i want to try the Zero Escape demo. Think i'm going to have to get a larger memory card already, jumped on the Persona 2 and Trails of the Sky bundle and don't have space for Trails.
Awesome and yes you wil have to fomat the mem card if you want to switch accounts post FW 1.80.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Yeah they made account switching an absolute hassle :/

And yeah a larger memory card is a really good investment. I went with a 32 but really in retrospect I only needed a 16. 32 is a -lot-. But never having to worry about deleting any games for years is nice too.

Sid

Yeah they made account switching an absolute hassle :/

And yeah a larger memory card is a really good investment. I went with a 32 but really in retrospect I only needed a 16. 32 is a -lot-. But never having to worry about deleting any games for years is nice too.
Yeah it is if you want to go full digital and/or buy psp and ps1 titles but i just have a 4gb and it still has quite a lot of content with 220 mb free still.

VanWinkle

For those with multiple memory cards, does it still randomize your icons when you switch cards? I haven't even tried it with FW 1.8 yet.

So much truth in this post. I own both of those games physically and enjoyed them very much. The PSP's piracy was so infamous, it's a miracle the thing still got some games here and there in the West. Developers see the huge install base and want to put their games on it but when you see the sellthrough rate vs. the piracy rate.. it's just depressing.

The sad part? That other vita thread is filled with nothing but people screaming CFW! CFW! over and over again - when everyone knows what people really want the Vita busted wide open for ... piracy :\

Skyzard

Banned
I really hope it becomes common knowledge that piracy will kill the vita so the hackers that release vita CFW get what little respect they deserve for killing it. PSP CFW on vita is definitely enough for now.

DS had the luxury of appealing to younger kids more then the PSP did - nearly the entire psp userbase was pirating and while R4s were really popular on DS, the DS was even more popular (compared to the Vita).

edit: Although it would boost hardware sales - and with memory card prices... slow transfer rates - maybe people might just give in and buy games. especially with all the online features being missed out on etc...although iirc there was a workaround for exploit users on previous firmware for the vita already..I don't know, I just hope it doesn't come for a long time as I'm sure too many will go nuts like with the psp. If you'd seen a youtube video comments section for basically any psp game you'd know how bad it was..big fear (I'm sure from developers too) about how bad it would be if it happened again.

Hagi

Awesome and yes you wil have to fomat the mem card if you want to switch accounts post FW 1.80.

Ugh that fucking sucks the US store is so much better than the UK one. A lot of good psone games missing over here. Oh well guess i'll have to invest in an 8GB card and use the 4GB for my US account.

Do you need to use a US account if playing US retail games? planning on picking up a boxed copy of Ragnarok.

ZeroAKA

Depends. If you like collecting stuff and doing side missions, the AC games have been pretty good with that. The prob is there isn't much to do after that, maybe besides MP.

I'm going to wait for the game size, if its pretty big (1.5GB+) I might just go going physical.
Looks like I'll be going physical then. Thanks for answering!

Sid

Ugh that fucking sucks the US store is so much better than the UK one. A lot of good psone games missing over here. Oh well guess i'll have to invest in an 8GB card and use the 4GB for my US account.

Do you need to use a US account if playing US retail games? planning on picking up a boxed copy of Ragnarok.
No the console is region free,you'll need one for any US DLC.

Picked up $40 in PSN credit(wanted $50 but they didn't have codes). Was thinking about getting 3 months of PS+ and then waiting to see what goes on sale on Tuesday.

Dokuro is really kicking my ass at the moment, I just can't get my head round how to solve stage 4-6, does anyone else who's imported the game have a good way of tackling it? Thankfully the game is kind enough to give you a "skip stage" option (though you can only do it so many times) so I just jumped ahead to the next stage for now, managed to do the next 10 stages first time! Its really reminding me of the PSP games Exit 1&2 at the moment, I had exactly the same problem with both those when it came to juggling boxes and lifts!

Roubjon

Finally got that Platinum Trophy for Hatsune Miku. Now I get to look at that maxed out blue bar on the trophy screen and get a false sense of accomplishment!

Noi

Purged a few of my Wii games to pay off the $1.83 I was missing on my VLR pre-order and fully paid off the Ragnarok Odyseey CE. I also put down $5 down on AC:Liberation because why not.

So that's Persona 4 Super Shiny Gold Edition, Virtue's Last Reward, Ragnarok Odyssey Swag edition and maybe Ass Creed in my future. It's getting more love than my PS3!

OmegaZero

Assassinate if old.
The recent issue of Game Informer contains some new info on AC3 Liberation:

-There's a naval trading system that allows the player to import and export goods to expand her influence and money. You can purchase new ships with differing cargo space, hit points and speed. Each shipping path has a chance of a storm or disaster happening, so the player will need to choose between dangerous paths that could possibly result in a lost shipment or safer paths that will yield less profit.
-Abstergo has altered the events of AC3:Liberation to remove anything that could paint the Templars in a bad light, but a organization bent on sabotaging Abstergo's schemes called Erudito has hacked into the game. You can find fake people who were never part of history called "Citizen E"s, and killing them will reveal what really happened during an event.

Assassinate if old.

-There's a naval trading system that allows the player to import and export goods to expand her influence and money. You can purchase new ships with differing cargo space, hit points and speed. Each shipping path has a chance of a storm or disaster happening, so the player will need to choose between dangerous paths that could possibly result in a lost shipment or safer paths that will yield less profit.
-Abstergo has altered the events of AC3:Liberation to remove anything that could paint the Templars in a bad light, but a organization bent on sabotaging Abstergo's schemes called Erudito has hacked into the game. You can find fake people who were never part of history called "Citizen E"s, and killing them will reveal what really happened during an event.

Awesome, so this does tie into the Desmond story in some way. So, are we playing someone in an animus then?

OmegaZero

Awesome, so this does tie into the Desmond story in some way. So, are we playing someone in an animus then?

AC3:Liberation is a interactive propaganda product released by Abstergo. It allows you to experience Aveline's memories. Basically, you, the player, are using the animus.

At least that's the impression I got from the articles and interviews.
It does somehow tie into the greater AC storyline, I'm assuming.

Assassinate if old.

Most interesting plot of an AC game since the first one. Seriously. I'm loving this. Do we know if we have a brotherhood thing going on in this one too?

I loved using my wall of arrows on enemies. :3

Shai-Tan

Banned
The challenge tower for mortal combat is genius. It's absolutely perfect for the go. Graphics are probably worse I've seen on vita. The character models are n64 level sometimes.

Yeah it's great. I've been too lazy to learn combos so I stopped at the first one that asks for an 8 hit combo. This was months ago :/ I think I'll pick it up again later today.

EDIT: Funny, all I had to do to pass that challenge was an enhanced bicycle kick. I blame Sony for not allowing me to have gamefaqs in the background :p

Assassinate if old.

Crazy...I'm definitely playing this before AC3

Famassu

Gah, the customs haz mah DJ Max Technika and it's not open on the weekends and I'm going away for two weeks starting tomorrow. :<

Roubjon

Woot! Grats bro. How hard was it?

It wasn't really hard. The game never throws any really challenging trophies at you, it's all stuff that can be done if you were to just keep playing the game and exploring everything it has to offer.

Gah, the customs haz mah DJ Max Technika and it's not open on the weekends and I'm going away for two weeks starting tomorrow. :<

That really sucks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom