• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yopis

Assassinate if old.
The recent issue of Game Informer contains some new info on AC3 Liberation:

-There's a naval trading system that allows the player to import and export goods to expand her influence and money. You can purchase new ships with differing cargo space, hit points and speed. Each shipping path has a chance of a storm or disaster happening, so the player will need to choose between dangerous paths that could possibly result in a lost shipment or safer paths that will yield less profit.
-Abstergo has altered the events of AC3:Liberation to remove anything that could paint the Templars in a bad light, but a organization bent on sabotaging Abstergo's schemes called Erudito has hacked into the game. You can find fake people who were never part of history called "Citizen E"s, and killing them will reveal what really happened during an event.

Sounds great just finished plat for golden abyss today. Ready for this and RO to release.

Oh, so it is?

Okay, then. I just wanna say that the PSP is a really amazing device, I don't know why I missed out on it for so long, it's just unbelievable how many great and PS2-like quality games there are. For example, I'm playing Gods Eater Burst right now and goddamit am I addicted, P3P is another addiction and Dissidia is up there. I don't understand why the Vita is not doing well, I mean, if it can offer experiences that are even better than the ones the PSP gives, then what the hell is going on?

: (

OmegaZero

I have it on my list but I've heard it's a pretty average or even sub par game. If I can get it cheap I probably will get it. I'd prefer to get it from PS+ though.

Yeah, it's fairly average. You can have some fun with it if you can overlook the plethora of flaws.

breakfuss

Oh, so it is?

Okay, then. I just wanna say that the PSP is a really amazing device, I don't know why I missed out on it for so long, it's just unbelievable how many great and PS2-like quality games there are. For example, I'm playing Gods Eater Burst right now and goddamit am I addicted, P3P is another addiction and Dissidia is up there. I don't understand why the Vita is not doing well, I mean, if it can offer experiences that are even better than the ones the PSP gives, then what the hell is going on?

The novelty of carrying around a handheld "home-console experience" has worn off.

Oh, so it is?

I try not to think like the non-owners/haters, because I can't really understand it either. ^^ Maybe they just think Handhelds are stupid now and can stick with their iPhone and (huge) iPad? But then why would they have a 3DS? I dunno... how's Gods Eater? I'm thinking about picking it up soon.

No it hasn't
Agreed.

Sigh...They could've done a Vita version of KH 1.5 HD...
I just hope KH 1.5 HD is localized period. It'd be the first time many people have gotten to play the International/Final Mix version(s).

I try not to think like the non-owners/haters, because I can't really understand it either. ^^ Maybe they just think Handhelds are stupid now and can stick with their iPhone and (huge) iPad? But then why would they have a 3DS?

Honestly, I think there are a lot of people, both on Gaf, online and in real life who want anything Sony to fail. They salivate at the prospect. Either that $599 price tag had long term affects on Sony's brand or Nintendo and Microsoft carved out distinct markets leaving Sony in the debris of the no-mans-land. Throw in Apple/android into the mix. I can't understand any gamer who would boast about shitty 0.99 mobile games as the future.

I try not to think like the non-owners/haters, because I can't really understand it either. ^^ Maybe they just think Handhelds are stupid now and can stick with their iPhone and (huge) iPad? But then why would they have a 3DS? I dunno... how's Gods Eater? I'm thinking about picking it up soon.

It's incredibly fun, I Really like how the story progresses and the missions are fun, it might get repetitive, though. It also has the best anime opening ever There is a huge range of weapons and the combat can be fast paced even with the larger weapons. For some reason, I can totally get into this but I tried the demo of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and did not enjoy it.

branny

With the PSP, it was less about the novelty for me than it was about getting PS2-ish era/quality games that we would never have seen on the DS, PS3, or 360.

edit: The Wii is another story altogether.

jimmypython

I try not to think like the non-owners/haters, because I can't really understand it either. ^^ Maybe they just think Handhelds are stupid now and can stick with their iPhone and (huge) iPad? But then why would they have a 3DS? I dunno...

Most of those amazing PSP titles are from Japan. PSP did well in Japan (everyone knows why) so those companies were obviously happy to make PSP games. So as long as SCEJ loses those one or two key titles, Japanese companies' support is gone. And that's exactly why 3DS (not Vita) is picking up what PSP has left....Also 3DS will always be fine since people love Mario, Pokemon, etc etc....

Honestly, I think there are a lot of people, both on Gaf, online and in real life who want anything Sony to fail. They salivate at the prospect. Either that $599 price tag had long term affects on Sony's brand or Nintendo and Microsoft carved out distinct markets leaving Sony in the debris of the no-mans-land. Throw in Apple/android into the mix. I can't understand any gamer who would boast about shitty 0.99 mobile games as the future.

You might be correct about some personalities out there.

I, myself, had no love for Sony after the PS2. There were several things that turned me off of the Sony brand:

CGI footage passed off as gameplay at E3 (prePS3)
$599 launch price
Arrogance

The last 2 were my biggest detractors of the brand. Sony had become arrogant and bloated, believing they were owed instant adoption from gamers after the PS2. They priced the system too high and had the nerve (still do) to be the one company that constantly slings mud at the competition.

Closer to present, my perception began to change. I've soured on MS as a gaming brand, realizing the 360 is just a Trojan horse to living room dominance, with little regard for gaming. Sony, on the other hand, is interested in building gaming experiences for core gamers, Sony has taken a more art house and experimental approach with regard to cultivating a better image. I can applaud that. Realizing I'd missed out on some key Sony experiences this gen (Uncharted, Wipeout, etc.) - I figured Vita would be a perfect Re-entry toward the Sony brand.

I have little to say about Nintendo, as I find their efforts enjoyable, they've also really humbled their ego in recent years. Which brings me to the last poi t of arrogance. Nintendo was wholly arrogant and had a miserly outlook toward third parties. After the SNES era, there was mass migration away, toward the Sony brand. Ninte do, now realizing this, has really tried to build a more attractive and endearing culture, rebuilding third party alliances after they ate crow. Sony still needs to humble themselves a bit from where they are. They need to stop acting as if they're owed something, because they're not. Hopefully, they can make moves to become a leaner, stronger and more humble entity.

I want success for all of the current companies, to varied degrees, in their subsequent endeavors.

Sidenote: I'm not fully sold on Nintendo home consoles, the portable are always eventually strong with support in most areas. I'm willing to embrace a PS4, far more than the next XBox, and willing to ditch MS next gen.

MarkusRJR

I haven't bought any Vita games since launch apart from LBP. I tried the Gravity Rush demo but I found the motion controls really annoying (and the analog stick controls were really weird). What games should I buy? I have a ton of free time and just got paid yesterday.

Massa

The novelty of carrying around a handheld "home-console experience" has worn off.

"home-console experience" is such a bullshit term.

I'm buying a Wii U to play NSMB. I bought a 3DS the day NSMB2 came out.

Sure a game can be simplistic in production values with barely any depth in gameplay (people call those "bite-sized"), but just because something looks good and plays well that doesn't mean it's suddenly in no-handhelds land. On the contrary, we're now seeing phone games surpass 5 year old console games in production values and they keep making gigantic leaps in getting closer and closer to that so called doomed-on-handhelds "home-console experience".

The Vita is struggling in the market because Sony chose to market it for male 18-25 PS3 owners. If that wasn't enough they even make it look like a PS3 accessory in their ads. We can only hope by the time their engineering team gets the machine down in price and the OS-level software up to snuff the rest of the company will have their shit together for a PS3-slim style do over.

I haven't bought any Vita games since launch apart from LBP. I tried the Gravity Rush demo but I found the motion controls really annoying (and the analog stick controls were really weird). What games should I buy? I have a ton of free time and just got paid yesterday.

The demo for GR is awful and a terrible representation of the game as a whole. I wish the game would drop in price like Wipeout so more people could enjoy it.

Kazerei

Banned

The best part of Gravity Rush was the exploration, which the demo doesn't really let you do. That said, stay away from GR because the combat is awful and it's a large part of the game.

I suppose it depends on what genres you like, but here's my tier list for all the Vita games I've played so far.

S Tier
Metal Gear Solid qHD Collection
Rayman Origins

A Tier
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
Unit 13
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition

B Tier
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Uncharted: Golden Abyss

C Tier
Gravity Rush
MotorStorm RC

The best part of Gravity Rush was the exploration, which the demo doesn't really let you do. That said, stay away from GR because the combat is awful and it's a large part of the game.

I suppose it depends on what genres you like, but here's my tier list for all the Vita games I've played so far.

S Tier
Rayman Origins

A Tier
Unit 13

B Tier

C Tier
Gravity Rush
MotorStorm RC

What?!!

Skyzard

Banned
Terrible list :p well..

I'd agree best part about gravity rush was exploration. controls were fantastic. gliding controls...too much of a pain really...especially the viewing angle..narrow streets etc. Great game, definitely worth a pick up. Combat was good but could be frustrating at time and defiantly takes some practice. You do get a decent number of moves though. Gem hunting while flying and messing around was my favourite thing too though.

MarkusRJR

WTF? My Vita just gave me an error and told me the web browser was corrupted and to reinstall it. I had to restart the Vita to get it running and the browser is being really weird now. (chugging on mobile neogaf one minute and then suddenly fast and back to being slow). Welp. I don't have a computer right now so I only have my Vita and 3DS to browse the web.

Also, can someone tell me what the difference between a name and a code name is in Gods Eater Burst? I iust installed it for the first time on Vita (I had it on my PSP Go but the camera annoyed me) and I forgot what the hell they were. :p

The demo for GR is awful and a terrible representation of the game as a whole. I wish the game would drop in price like Wipeout so more people could enjoy it.
I guess I'll be waiting for a sale then. Hopefully it's as good as you say.

zroid

Banned
"home-console experience" is such a bullshit term.

Kind of. The lines are blurring now more than ever, but I still believe there is merit to considering the kinds of game design philosophies which are conducive to playing on consoles versus handhelds.

Having said that, not every game must be suited specifically for one or the other -- the NSMB examples you cite comfortably fall within that space.

"Production value" is certainly not the distinguishing factor it may once have been.

WTF? My Vita just gave me an error and told me web browser was corrupted and to reinstall it. I had to restart the Vita and the browser is being really weird (chugging on mobile neogaf one minute and then suddenly fast and back to being slow). Welp.

Also, can someone tell me what the difference between a name and a code name is in Gods Eater Burst? I iust installed it for the first time on Vita (I had it on my PSP Go but the camera annoyed me) and I forgot what the hell they were. :p

I guess I'll be waiting for a sale then. Hopefully it's as good as you say.

I never lie about things that bring pleasure. :p

Mondriaan

You should pick up Gods Eater. There's a reason that MH4 is becoming the most un-Monster Hunter-like Monster Hunter title yet, and that reason is probably GE.

MarkusRJR

S Tier
Rayman Origins

A Tier
Unit 13

B Tier

C Tier
Gravity Rush
MotorStorm RC
I already own a bunch of those games (Rayman, Uncharted, Motorstorm) and the rest of them don't really interest me. I'm mainly into platformers, JRPGs (I hate strategy JRPGs though), arcade racers, action adventure games, and wacky japanese games.

I never lie about things that bring pleasure. :p
Oh I bet. ;)

EDIT: For the new page... Can someone tell me the difference between a name and a code name in Gods Eater Burst?

It's true. Uncharted's shooting controls feel laggy, and the "platforming" is boring. At least it has nice graphics. Meanwhile Unit 13's shooting is spot-on, plus the level design is open, and there's much more content than Uncharted.

Really? I can see the shooting being better but more content? Elaborate please. Also from the demo the AI seemed really dumb. While in Uncharted there was some level of unexpectedness when enemies reacted.

Interesting.. :p

Indeed. :p

Nice to see you back in here dude, nice try putting up a good fight in the Christmas thread.

Takao

Banned
I already own a bunch of those games (Rayman, Uncharted, Motorstorm) and the rest of them don't really interest me. I'm mainly into platformers, JRPGs (I hate strategy JRPGs though), arcade racers, action adventure games, and wacky japanese games.

You check out Sound Shapes, and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack? They're PSN platformers.

Kazerei

Banned

Hmm. Dokuro, a puzzle-platformer, should arrive on Tuesday. I enjoyed the JP demo and there should be a US demo too. Next week there'll be Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reword, a visual novel. And the week after that will be Ragnarok Odyssey, an action adventure sort of like Phantasy Star or Monster Hunter.

Really? I can see the shooting being better but more content? Elaborate please. Also from the demo the AI seemed really dumb. While in Uncharted there was some level of unexpectedness when enemies reacted.

There's 35 missions and 7 challenge missions. But technically there's only 7 maps in the game, each subdivided into 4 areas. So for each map, there's 5 missions and a challenge mission. Some missions are short and only deal with 1 area; some missions are longer and have objectives in all 4 areas. The real kicker is the replay value. Since it's a score-based game, you can keep playing to set high scores.

I agree that the AI is dumb as bricks though; that's the only real downside to Unit 13. But whatever, just makes them easier to deal with.

Edit: dammit, accidentally hit the post button before I was done replying >.<

Skyzard

Banned

Indeed. :p

Nice to see you back in here dude, nice try putting up a good fight in the Christmas thread.

Hah thanks, they need to get poked back every now and then, seems the desire/sure thing for it to die is still too strong. Hopefully time will fix that but damn it feels slow. Need my NFSMW and JSR...maybe AC too...spannicus :'( that footage :p

So looking ahead to new Vita releases:

Oct 16
Silent Hill: BOM
Jet Set Radio
Dokuro

Oct 23
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Street Fighter/Tekken
DJ Max Technika Tune
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz
Smart as...

Oct 30
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation
Ragnarok Odyssey
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
LEGO The Lord of the Rings
WRC 3

Nov 6
Nothing

Nov 11
Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified

Nov 20
Persona 4: The Golden
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Nov 27-Dec 30
Nothing OUCH

Q1 2013
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Jan 6 to February 5
Nothing

Feb 5
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Feb 10 to March 10
Nothing Double OUCH

March 13
Souls Sacrifice

Q2-Q4 2013
No announcements yet
EDF 2017

So, while I think this is a pretty strong line up, its definitely western leaning and there are some pretty huge gaps. I wonder is Sony shouldve spread out some of these releases? For example, COD would have made a perfect release somewhere between Jan and Feb.

I really hope we get some new game announcements soon.

edit: these dates are from Gamespot.com. My apologies if there are errors.

Quoting myself to update any Vitabros who wanna plan out their gaming in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom