• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.
As funny as it sounds, but I think it could have a positive effect for the Vita. A hacked Vita could actually have a positive effect on Vita sales, which will attract more publishers to the system. And this will lead to more games and again more buyers of a Vita system.
If you don't believe me, then name one console which did worse or even went out of business because it got hacked.

A positive effect on hardware sales will be meaningless if there isn't a positive effect on sales of software...

Shinriji

As funny as it sounds, but I think it could have a positive effect for the Vita. A hacked Vita could actually have a positive effect on Vita sales, which will attract more publishers to the system. And this will lead to more games and again more buyers of a Vita system.
If you don't believe me, then name one console which did worse or even went out of business because it got hacked.

Dreamcast.

Psp in the west

LuchaShaq

Banned

Yup I have multiple friends waiting on a hacked vita. Not so they can pirate current gen games. But for an r4 style solution to the insanity of vita memory card prices, and for a gorgeous screen to out emulators on.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh I was holding it with my fingers on the little indents beside the back touch area, and my pinkies under the lanyard holes. I'd imagine tpyour way wouid be much more comfortable. I'm not sure how well you'd be able to grip it that way though for fast paced games.

Oh yeah I've never used those. I thought those were just there to tell us where the touch pad ends.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Dreamcast.

Psp in the west

Acting like piracy was in the top 5 problems for either console is disingenuous at best.

No console has ever been as easy to pirate for as the ds and so widespread. Pre 3ds any craigslist video game section would have 50+ ads for FREE DS GAMES/40 games on one cart for 50$ etc etc. Hell I've even seen little kids and elderly people with r4 carts.

Even when I sold my ds the lady asked if I had "one of those r4 free games cards" when I explained to her that that would be piracy/illegal she flipped out saying theres no way it would be illegal since her nephews had them. THAT is how common/ingrained to "casual" people the r4 was.

Ponn

Banned
Acting like piracy was in the top 5 problems for either console is disingenuous at best.

No console has ever been as easy to pirate for as the ds and so widespread. Pre 3ds any craigslist video game section would have 50+ ads for FREE DS GAMES/40 games on one cart for 50$ etc etc. Hell I've even seen little kids and elderly people with r4 carts.

Even when I sold my ds the lady asked if I had "one of those r4 free games cards" when I explained to her that that would be piracy/illegal she flipped out saying theres no way it would be illegal since her nephews had them. THAT is how common/ingrained to "casual" people the r4 was.

i think it's disingenuous to NOT include it in the top 5 reasons. People were buying PSP's just to hack and emulate, people buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games. Compare software sales and install bases along with 1st party software sales to 3rd party on DS.

i think it's disingenuous to NOT include it in the top 5 reasons. People were buying PSP's just to hack and emulate, people buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games. Compare software sales and install bases along with 1st party software sales to 3rd party on DS.

Exactly, I know people that bought a psp simply because they could hack it then play free ps1 and psp games plus free emulated games

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Playing Resident Evil 1.5

Parasite Eve 2

ASPECT RADIOU.jpg

Also I have a save with EVERYTHING unlocked if you want that for easy Med Wheel access, but it breaks unlocking the PE powers for yourself.

Psp in the west

That's died for the same reason the PSP2 is:

Sony: Here's the PSP western devs

Western devs:
no1curr.gif

"If you want us to develop for it, we'll make console ports."

Sony: LOL 'K

Ports happen like BoF3 SCEA goes "LOL NO YOU NEED NEW STUFF" doesn't release it in the West.

Meanwhile in Japan:

Capcom Japan: We have this fabulous new JRPG called "the Last Ranker," it's by the BoF team. SCEA WE CAN HAZ PUBLISH?

SCEA:
no1curr.gif

Gotta backtrack on my dislike of mutant blob.

The portions where the game plays/feels like a 2d katamari damacy + light puzzles? AWESOME

The portions of the game where it feels like a D grade meat boy style but way easier platformer? Fuck off

Avatar creeps me out, but for some reason after being up for only 30 minutes this morning... your post made me laugh. Thank you.

Additional:

Anyone else's right trigger feel less "clicky" or responsive than their left? Also my right thumbstick is a little looser, an OCD thing, btu it bothers me and makes me worry about replacing it down the road with how much of a pain it is to transfer stuff, anyone else?

The difference here was that the DS was still well established before the pirates managed to blow up open. The PSP and the Dreamcast was struggling, the pirates just finished them off. Likewise, if the crackers managed to escape the PSP's sandbox and allow Vita piracy, Sony may as well give up for the amount of games they're going to sell from that point forward.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I didn't mean to sound like I was doubting you, I simply have never heard that before.

Disney was pretty much the only kids company to support Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was supposed to be a 'gamer's' machine that was made with core gamers as the intended market. Since this was before the popularity spikes of Wii, Guitar Hero, etc. It wasn't that unrealistic of a dream, but SEGA lost Japan big time to the PS2, and they lost in America because of the lack of EA and 'mainstream' appeal.

PSP was still able to survive in the West and do well enough to warrant bringing over several 'niche' titles, so hacking's never been that big of an issue. And as others have said, I can imagine a lot of people are put off by the Vita's memory card prices, so an R4 would be a reason for them to get one.

Ponn

Banned
Exactly, I know people that bought a psp simply because they could hack it then play free ps1 and psp games plus free emulated games

I decided after typing up a big response I don't want to potentially shit up this thread. If you are interested i'm posting it in the "Vita christmas" thread instead since it doesn't matter there.

I decided after typing up a big response I don't want to potentially shit up this thread. If you are interested i'm posting it in the "Vita christmas" thread instead since it doesn't matter there.

I appreciate the fact you didn't want to shit up this thread but there's no way I'm going back in the Xmas thread lol. Lets just agree to disagree :)

Edit: vita ads appearing for me on escapist - ign and gamespot now too

AwRy108

Gotta backtrack on my dislike of mutant blob.

The portions where the game plays/feels like a 2d katamari damacy + light puzzles? AWESOME

The portions of the game where it feels like a D grade meat boy style but way easier platformer? Fuck off

You are one grouchy person, man. I don't think there was one potion of Mutant Blobs that I didn't enjoy, and I'm rather sure that most people would agree. Sometimes I feel like you're just looking for things to hate--is that possible?

Ponn

Banned
I appreciate the fact you didn't want to shit up this thread but there's no way I'm going back in the Xmas thread lol. Lets just agree to disagree :)

Oh no, we are in agreement, I just expanded on my thoughts and started including the "N" word so thought it best to put it in another thread.

So i'm going over what I could get on PSN to hit the $100 goal to get 20 back.

I could go

AC: L - $40
Lego Lotr - $40
FF3 - $20

use the $20 back to get Unfinished swan, or vice versa get unfinished swan and mutant blobs on sale and then get ff3 w/ the $20

The problem is I have those titles on preorder at newegg for $30 a piece along with NFS MW and RO ce for $38, so I could get all of those titles for $128 instead, or at least NFS, ACL and Lego LoTR same day for $90. Plus I know at least a couple of those I will probably not go back to so at least with retail copy I could trade them in.

Dr Dogg

Well after uming and ahing since February whether or not to get a Vita I finally succumbed and took the plunge. Well was more helped along the way by getting a pleasant surprise rebate from the water board who have been over charging me for 2 years.

Has made the commute to work much more bearable and I'm not forced to watch constant soap's by the other half. What with Persona 4 out next year (or earlier if I bother to import it) the Vita is fast becoming my second fav console just behind PS2.

RnEwTl.jpg

Also for any UKgaf, shopto have a bundle of a wifi vita, 8gb card and mortal kombat, uncharted, FIFA, modnation, and everybody's golf for £259.85.

Pretty good deal to me!

Sid

Well after uming and ahing since February whether or not to get a Vita I finally succumbed and took the plunge. Well was more helped along the way by getting a pleasant surprise rebate from the water board who have been over charging me for 2 years.

Has made the commute to work much more bearable and I'm not forced to watch constant soap's by the other half. What with Persona 4 out next year (or earlier if I bother to import it) the Vita is fast becoming my second fav console just behind PS2.

RnEwTl.jpg
Cool,P4G will be out this november.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You are one grouchy person, man. I don't think there was one potion of Mutant Blobs that I didn't enjoy, and I'm rather sure that most people would agree. Sometimes I feel like you're just looking for things to hate--is that possible?

Eh I've been ecstatic with gaming lately, just much less so in the three downloadable titles I got on vita.

Tokyo Jungle has been a fucking shocker in how well it's played, and how hooked me and the gf have been playing it together.

X:Com is simply great.

Borderlands 2 despite certain patch/pre order/dlc nonsense has been fantastic so far.

I'm only two hours into tactics ogre but I'm hopeful.

I'm super excited for AC:L/AC3/P4G/NFS MW2/Halo4/Forza Horizon/ps+ for vita.

Edit: Not to mention NBA2k13 is blowing my socks off considering I've played and loved every 2k bball game since the original on dreamcast. My ONLY beef with that is that there are iphone and psp versions but no vita version a major WTF.

Awesome Vita collection already, welcome to the vitabrotherhood. Stick to this thread, the rest of 'Gaf is scary when it comes to the Vita :|

Iacobellis

RnEwTl.jpg

Awesome collection of games to start with! I can already tell you Uncharted is such a blast and LBP will not disappoint. Neither game is watered down at all in terms of gameplay.

RnEwTl.jpg

Don't forget to buy mutant blobs attack!

Dr Dogg

Cool,P4G will be out this november.

Yeah been tempted to preorder it but as you can see I've got a lot to clear from just my Vita backlog as it is.

Awesome Vita collection already, welcome to the vitabrotherhood. Stick to this thread, the rest of 'Gaf is scary when it comes to the Vita :|

Cheers. So I've noticed especially judging by the Christmas thread.

Awesome collection of games to start with! I can already tell you Uncharted is such a blast and LBP will not disappoint. Neither game is watered down at all in terms of gameplay.

Totally I've been blown away by the quality of everything I have got so far. Even as much to say LBP has more content than the other 3 releases and a joy to play and create with touchscreen controls.

Don't forget to buy mutant blobs attack!

Hahaha it's on my radar but so far I've only got a 4gb card so next thing is a bigger card.

LittleBigPlanet, Disgaea 3, MGSHD AND Rayman? You're set for the next few months. Great choices.

Well seeing as I sunk 500+ hours into Disgaea 3 on the PS3 and have never tired of any Metal Gear I think I'm set for a while yet.

Recently got: Everybodys Golf (£10!), Virtua Tennis 4 (£15) and Rayman Origins (£15) for my Vita, decent prices and great games.

Im pretty terrible at EG but its fun anyway, playing Virtua Tennis 4 now, not really played one before and really enjoying it.

Rayman Origins on dat OLED screen though, jesus christ, its looks absolutely incredible! Great purchases, got 7 games for my Vita now, asked my brother for MGS HD collection for Christmas too and interested in Assassins Creed Liberation, Super Monkey Ball still to come out.

Oddworld Strangers Wrath is due next month isn't it? I hope its YOPO with the PS3 one but I doubt it will be. JSR, RCR and Oddworld, great time to have a Vita.

Famassu

Piracy killed DS (excluding Mario) in the west (especially in Europe), I don't see how you can deny that fact. Same goes for PSP. Both got shittons of great games, very few of those sold well. There's a reason why we didn't get games like Ace Attorney Investigations 2 & Final Fantasy Type-0.

i bought a $50 PSN card thanks to amazon. and i snagged

Super Crate Box
Sunflowers
Retro City Rampage
Aqua Kitty
Fuel Tiracas
Beats Trellis

saving the rest for

Dokuro

and some LBPV DLC

Dr Dogg

It's only 127MB. ;)

I think I've only got 76b free! Sadly my copy of LBP was a download and have put my PSOne classics on there as well as P3P and Trails in the Sky (on offer on the EU PSN until the 17th). Constantly going back and forth dumping content on my PC through the Content Manager is getting a tad tedious.

MisterC20XX

i bought a $50 PSN card thanks to amazon. and i snagged

Super Crate Box
Sunflowers
Retro City Rampage
Aqua Kitty
Fuel Tiracas
Beats Trellis

saving the rest for

Dokuro

and some LBPV DLC

Great choices!

Top of the page: Resistance: Retribution (PSP) looks and plays great on the Vita. It was made by Bend Studio, the same folks who made Uncharted: Golden Abyss. The online multiplayer works and is still active. Buy it!

Carl

I'm trying to save my money for AC:L and NFSMW. Hopefully i get lots of money for birthday so i can afford to buy the games i miss :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone think that atlus will port Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for the vita?

Probably not, but it could be possible.

I'd rather they port SMT: Persona 2: Eternal Punishment to the PSP/2 than Nocturne currently. :|

The challenge tower for mortal combat is genius. It's absolutely perfect for the go. Graphics are probably worse I've seen on vita. The character models are n64 level sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom