• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Yay. I just found £80 whilst tidying, which i didn't know i had. So i can probably afford an extra game now. Happy times.

Massa

Pretty sure it's still releasing tomorrow, in NA at least.
The drop probably just overlooked it since it's already on PSN for PS3.

The drop constantly overlooks things or makes mistakes. They're not very competent.

They didn't even bother creating a Vita category in this week's post. And these people get paid to do this.

VanWinkle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Y71X46njf4 for iOS

wish cod vita had these production values. also i wish the vita was more powerful.

Oh my goodness, that looks vastly better (and will probably have way more content) than CoD Vita, which will cost about five times as much. I mean, with the Vita being as supposedly powerful as it is, you have to wonder why the games coming out are always subnative res and generally disappointing. I was just imagining during the gameplay if that was revealed as CoD for Vita. Everyone would have been pretty blown away.

I agree on cod, but what about something like this? ;)
imUzVb98KWyJU.gif

I'm really excited for this one. Better not be subnative (doesn't look like it is in the gif but it is hard to tell right now).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What?! How?

1) Go to the PSN store
2) See demos/betas
3) See Sony Smash Brothers: We're a Party Game Too! beta tile
4) Click that
5) Click the orange "download now" button
6) ???????????
7) Enjoy your non-fighting game!

TheSeks

Is it up already ?

Is it Tuesday already?

Whitehawk said:
I feel like I'm the only one who liked the swipe melee controls in Uncharted.

And just like there it's convoluted and unnecessary.

Add touch, sure. But don't add touch to shit that can be done with button presses and needs a touch section for the same shit a simple button press would do.

Same shit ruined Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

Is it Tuesday already?

And just like there it's convoluted and unnecessary.

Add touch, sure. But don't add touch to shit that can be done with button presses and needs a touch section for the same shit a simple button press would do.

Same shit ruined Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.

Cranky much? Oh that's right, it's your shtick.

Cranky much? Oh that's right, it's your shtick.

Cranky isn't the right word, but yeah, definitely Mr. Negativity. :lol

On a side note, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is one of if not the best game on the DS. The stylus stuff for drawing seals on bosses or whatever wasn't obtrusive or hard and the game itself was just brilliant.

hey everyone, I'm looking for some help here. Within the last week my vita is giving me issues, well, one issue. It's always plugged into its charger on my desk when its not in use. I can always just hit a button and get it out of black screen and begin using it. Tuesday I awoke it off my desk to plug the vita into my ps3 to transfer my new purchase (RCR). That went smoothly, and after I installed it I plugged the vita back in and placed it back to my desk as always. After that I went back to it to check out RCR only to find the vita refused to come out of hibernation. It's on, the ps logo in bottom left is blue....but will fade out then come back. Holding ANY of the buttons will not turn it off/restart it...anyone have a solution to this? It's never happened before, thanks!

Shai-Tan

Banned
It sucks that games have to go sub native but the developers chose to do that for a reason to get better lighting, shadows, effects, higher poly, whatever. Uncharted looks great, even with the sub native resolution. I think developers maybe should use some shortcuts to have good performance in native res e.g. having more baked, less dynamic effects, more economy in poly but games will not look quite as good in some ways. You might notice in that ios game video the poly are all low, simple baked lighting, effects nonexistent, etc

When is Plus out for Vita? I thought it was this week

Its nice they aren't requiring Plus for the all stars beta, hopefully that means they are confident in what they have planned for Plus on the vita so they didn't feel the need to save all stars for it

hey everyone, I'm looking for some help here. Within the last week my vita is giving me issues, well, one issue. It's always plugged into its charger on my desk when its not in use. I can always just hit a button and get it out of black screen and begin using it. Tuesday I awoke it off my desk to plug the vita into my ps3 to transfer my new purchase (RCR). That went smoothly, and after I installed it I plugged the vita back in and placed it back to my desk as always. After that I went back to it to check out RCR only to find the vita refused to come out of hibernation. It's on, the ps logo in bottom left is blue....but will fade out then come back. Holding ANY of the buttons will not turn it off/restart it...anyone have a solution to this? It's never happened before, thanks!
Have you held in the power button for 30+ seconds? It'll reboot into Recovery mode.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It sucks that games have to go sub native but the developers chose to do that for a reason to get better lighting, shadows, effects, higher poly, whatever. Uncharted looks great, even with the sub native resolution. I think developers maybe should use some shortcuts to have good performance in native res e.g. having more baked, less dynamic effects, more economy in poly but games will not look quite as good in some ways. You might notice in that ios game video the poly are all low, simple baked lighting, effects nonexistent, etc
I would have gladly taken baked lighting in Gravity Rush if it meant native resolution. That game needed it.

TheSeks

Cranky isn't the right word, but yeah, definitely Mr. Negativity. :lol

I'm not jett.

On a side note, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow is one of if not the best game on the DS. The stylus stuff for drawing seals on bosses or whatever wasn't obtrusive or hard and the game itself was just brilliant.

No, but it was stupid as hell. Defeat the boss, quickly grab your stylus (that you may not have on hand) to defeat a boss. Same shit with the melee swipes: Why do I need to do that? It interrupts gameplay!

Swipe to melee take down...

TonyKornheiserWHY.jpg

if I were the developer, there will be more than 1 melee kill animation and each award different amount of xp, the most complicated swipe gesture give you the most xp, fail and you got countered or damage instead.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I would have gladly taken baked lighting in Gravity Rush if it meant native resolution. That game needed it.

It's not even necessarily about sacrificing. I think some of the developers are probably not utilizing the hardware well. It's like in PC game where some graphics features cause major performance problems for only a little visual benefit.

I feel like I'm the only one who liked the swipe melee controls in Uncharted.

I liked it as you can just do it with your thumb. I only didnt like it on the boss battles on crushing where it suddenly decided to not read my swipes properly (normal and hard I didnt loose a life on either... on crushing I failed over and over and over and over etc etc).

As long as you can do the motion as a small gesture with ya thumb I think its fine.

Haven't seen mention of this so I thought I'd post it here - from the Pickup Thread for Oct.:

Yay finally jumped in to the current handheld generation. I thought I was going to get a 3DS first, but this was a decent price so I got a PSV! Time to play some Gravity Rush.

Oh yeah this was at Sam's Club by the way. You can check the webpage and see if any stores in your area have it at the clearanced price and try your luck!

W5Xf1l.jpg

20ds4l.jpg

Only bad thing about this is that now I won't feel right buying a 3DS XL until it's around $60.

Woah!

Wonko_C

I'm not jett.

No, but it was stupid as hell. Defeat the boss, quickly grab your stylus (that you may not have on hand) to defeat a boss. Same shit with the melee swipes: Why do I need to do that? It interrupts gameplay!

The game waits for you for an eternity if you want. The timer for the sealing doesn't start until you make the first trace with the stylus.

Sealing reminds me of and old PS2 game where you pulled off special sequences with the analog stick: (minute 3:38)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvuPO8SnkZ4#t=3m38s

I've had these, usually at the end of charging. If all else fails you can always keep the top button pressed for about 10 seconds. It will reboot and you'll see the troubleshooting menu. Then just press x, it will do a database check, and you're back online.

is that the one on top or front? I think I've tried to hold both/either for awhile and nothing happened, but I'll try again after work and do a 30 count to be sure, thanks!
Yep, the top button.

Haven't seen mention of this so I thought I'd post it here - from the Pickup Thread for Oct.:

Woah!
Yeah, I saw some posts on CAG. Very nice.

yoshida knows what the audience wants

Sorry to sidetrack, but does anyone else's Vita have a less click or dulled right trigger button compared to their left? Also my right thumb stick is loose compared to the left as well.

Launch Vita and I am worried about how much of a pain it will be to replace it down the road with 32 gb card and a new system to register it to...

VanWinkle

I completely agree.

I think at least a PART of this sub-native problem we're having is that these games' engines are being at least partially created on the PS3 (Gravity Rush started as a PS3 game, Resistance BS engine started on the PS3, etc), and thus when they try to port it to an obviously less powerful system, they do the easiest thing, which is reduce the resolution. This is very unfortunate, and something I hope we see rectified soon. In the case of Uncharted, my personal guess is that the Vita specs they were developing for were higher than they ended up being, so, to keep the effects, geometry, lighting, etc. the same, the reduced the resolution to suit the updated specs for the platform.

OmegaZero

Sorry to sidetrack, but does anyone else's Vita have a less click or dulled right trigger button compared to their left? Also my right thumb stick is loose compared to the left as well.

Launch Vita and I am worried about how much of a pain it will be to replace it down the road with 32 gb card and a new system to register it to...

The trigger might be caused by the right side of your Vita being screwed on too tight. If it squeaks when you press it, that's a sign.

How much looser is your right analog stick?

Mondriaan

yoshida knows what the audience wants
I think Yoshida gave some not so great advice about the first move.

The best color to go after is the one that is diagonal to the gem when there aren't any bombs on that color, so he should have went with orange instead of red. It really wasn't the kind of map where he needed to go with his gut with the last move.

zroid

Banned
I think Yoshida gave some not so great advice about the first move.

The best square to go after is the one that is diagonal to the gem when there aren't any bombs on that color, so he should have went with orange instead of red. It really wasn't the kind of map where he needed to go with his gut with the last move.

That sly bastard, he's giving bad advice on purpose!

I'm almost tempted to go back on a TP bender right now, but I really need to focus on finishing my other games *cough* LBP *cough*

Carl

Sometimes while reading GAF I feel blessed to be completely oblivious to most of that stuff

Me too, which is why it's something i don't care about. Other things i am completely oblivious to and don't give a shit about include framerate drops and screen tearing.

I have never and will never avoid a game simply because of one of these things. Mainly because i don't notice them. And therefore it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the game.

Top of the page. YOU ALL SMELL OF POO.

TheSeks

The game waits for you for an eternity if you want. The timer for the sealing doesn't start until you make the first trace with the stylus.

That doesn't matter. It's poor design to interrupt gameplay right as the player beats a boss/does something with normal controls to force touch-sequences on them to continue.

Do it like Uncharted's swipe map in touch-could-work-here sections, don't do it in a "okay, you want to melee kill this person, press O and then move your right hand to the touch screen! lolz!" section.

zroid

Banned
Me too, which is why it's something i don't care about. Other things i am completely oblivious to and don't give a shit about include framerate drops and screen tearing.

I have never and will never avoid a game simply because of one of these things. Mainly because i don't notice them. And therefore it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the game.

We are ObliviousGAF. AKA BestGAF.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Personally, i couldn't give a shit if something is native res or not.
You really didn't notice how bad the resolution was when you panned the camera around in Gravity Rush and her face was a few blurred beige pixels? Lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom