• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

All of them! And I love me some fighting games

Here's my buy list so far:

Assassins creed Bundle
MGS HD
MK (it's only 20 bucks)
Gravity Rush
Virtue's Last Reward

Maybes:
Umvc3
SFxTK

Already preordered:
Persona 4 golden

Q: will NFS have any compatibility with the ps3 version?
Just autolog points.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So what are the top 5 or so games to get on the vita?

in no particular order

Pro Yakkyu Spirits
Lumines
Wipeout 2048
Gravity Rush
Virtua Tennis

Actually - taht probably IS in order.

Pro Yakkyu easily the best game on Vita by FAR. The rest just about right

Noi

From the ones I've played:
Gravity Rush
LittleBigPlanet
Uncharted GA
WipEout 2048
BlazBlue EX

What will likely be my list at the end of the year:
Gravity Rush
Persona 4 Golden
LittleBigPlanet
Ragnarok Odyssey
Virtue's Last Reward

Hanmik

Hmm.. I would also like to rank games on Vita.. just haven´t played that many yet.. but here is my top 5 list.

Uncharted Golden Abyss.
Metal Gear Solid HD collection.
Smart as (spoilertag because the game is not out yet)
Little Big Planet Vita.
Sound Shapes.

I hope the list will get bigger once Plus kicks in..

EDIT: just saw some news on the JSR Vita edition..

Sega have issued a press release that states the PS Vita version of Jet Set Radio has been delayed until further notice.

The delay has been caused by ‘necessary development optimisations’ and a new date will be announced ‘soon’.

The game was recently released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 and the PS Vita version was expected this week as part of the regular Store updates.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/10/16/ps-vita-version-of-jet-set-radio-delayed/

PaulLFC

Is there an idiot's guide to changing from UK to US region and back again on the Vita?

Unless I'm missing it, the UK store still doesn't have Netflix. Is the process for getting it something like this:

1. Sign in to US account
2. Be told I can only have one account, format the memory card
3. Go to PS store on US account
4. Download Netflix
5. Sign in to UK account
6. Be told I can only have one account, format the memory card
7. Use Netflix on UK account

Something like that? I'm just going off what I remember reading around launch, so the process could have changed a lot since then. If it's the same as above, will I lose anything off the card like saves or games downloaded from PSN?

Is there an idiot's guide to changing from UK to US region and back again on the Vita?

Unless I'm missing it, the UK store still doesn't have Netflix. Is the process for getting it something like this:

1. Sign in to US account
2. Be told I can only have one account, format the memory card
3. Go to PS store on US account
4. Download Netflix
5. Sign in to UK account
6. Be told I can only have one account, format the memory card
7. Use Netflix on UK account

Something like that? I'm just going off what I remember reading around launch, so the process could have changed a lot since then. If it's the same as above, will I lose anything off the card like saves or games downloaded from PSN?

Since the update you cant do that anymore. You now have to wipe the card. So basically if you didnt get Netflix before the update your kinda out of luck. Luckily I did get it and now backed it up incase anything goes wrong.

Why it hasn't been released in Europe yet is completely beyond me to be honest.

Hmm.. I would also like to rank games on Vita.. just haven´t played that many yet.. but here is my top 5 list.

Uncharted Golden Abyss.
Metal Gear Solid HD collection.
Smart as (spoilertag because the game is not out yet)
Little Big Planet Vita.
Sound Shapes.

I hope the list will get bigger once Plus kicks in..

EDIT: just saw some news on the JSR Vita edition..

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/10/16/ps-vita-version-of-jet-set-radio-delayed/

Sony should really assemble something like the legendary "ice team" and send them to third parties and help with the porting/etc.
This shit must stop, if there are issues it's always with Sony hardware, but still, the better visuals/performance are still on the same freaking device.
The first party studios black magic it's becoming their Achille's heel

Sid

Sony should really assemble something like the legendary "ice team" and send them to third parties and help with the porting/etc.
This shit must stop, if there are issues it's always with Sony hardware, but still, the better visuals/performance are still on the same freaking device.
The first party studios black magic it's becoming their Achille's heel
Lol what?all this because of JSR vita?the game is nothing special graphically and the platform is easy to develop for since it has off the shelf mobile components and going by the dev interviews,ngp presentation.

I don't think that was worded how you wanted it to.
lol indeed it should have COD DE-DECRAPIFIED!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

This should give some hope
1oS: Hands-on reports from the recent press event in Toronto suggests the game has received a graphical upgrade in the last few months of development. What has changed – textures, level geometry, some other optimization?

RH: A little of everything. Models were increased in resolution, particularly enemies and player weapons. Texture LOD was tweaked to use higher detail level textures, and things generally optimized across the board. The biggest visual improvement comes from doing final polished lighting passes on the environments.

Sid

This should give some hope
It's a BIT improved graphically but still continues to be the definitve COD experience in the history of forever as it has:-

-No zombies
-6 maps(all 'recycled')
-4 v 4
-30 fps
-Objective based sp

Plus

I think it was Ghandi who once said: "The best developer is the one you can afford".

Going through Nihilistic's twitter is freaking depressing.

No in game voice chat except when you're in a party.

No Wager Matches.

No 60fps, which we already knew, but now they also say “IMO 30fps feels very smooth on the Vita, possibly due to its size and the unique qualities of the OLED screen“.

No Killcams either. Probably talking about hardcore mode, right?

Nah man, hardcore mode isn't in the game either.

Hostiles mode is SP only.

Can't control any killstreaks (as in shooting down from a chopper or something like that)

No Gold camo for guns.

Clan tags will be in there.

No Emblem Creator.

No Theater mode, of course.

Can't just invite people from your friends list. I don't fully understand what this means.
PMHEl.jpg

At least they're open about their game not being up to any standards set by previous CoD games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wonderful. And here I was all set to download Jet Set Radio today. : (

I'm suprised I'm not seeing more Unit 13 mentions in the "top Vita games" It's probably my favorite Vita game so far, and the whole package is just so well done. I mean, you've got single player missions, online co-op, and daily challenge missions.
On top of that the game is just damn fun to play.

Uncharted was great, but it really could've used some more meat on it's bones for some replay value.

PaulLFC

Since the update you cant do that anymore. You now have to wipe the card. So basically if you didnt get Netflix before the update your kinda out of luck. Luckily I did get it and now backed it up incase anything goes wrong.

Why it hasn't been released in Europe yet is completely beyond me to be honest.
Crap :(

Thanks for the info though.

Edit: If I eventually do buy another memory card, could I do the above steps with that card before downloading any of my PSN stuff, and get Netflix that way?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Wonderful. And here I was all set to download Jet Set Radio today. : (

I'm suprised I'm not seeing more Unit 13 mentions in the "top Vita games" It's probably my favorite Vita game so far, and the whole package is just so well done. I mean, you've got single player missions, online co-op, and daily challenge missions.
On top of that the game is just damn fun to play.

Uncharted was great, but it really could've used some more meat on it's bones for some replay value.

After their two horrible pieces of garbage (MAG and fake Socom 4) I just didn't want to touch any other Zipper game,I even wanted a shooter on Vita and didn't get it because of the two other games.

So yeah, it's the dead studio fault not me.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jet set radio passed from "d1" to "maybe", the hype is falling, too much waiting is not good and lots of great games are coming.

Tiamant

These days I've been playing Pokemon B/W2 on my DS Lite.

Yesterday I played a bit of LBP on my Vita. Man, my eyes almost exploded.

Crap :(

Thanks for the info though.

Edit: If I eventually do buy another memory card, could I do the above steps with that card before downloading any of my PSN stuff, and get Netflix that way?

not sure what you mean.

Basically if you switch accounts from UK to US it will wipe the card. Then you log on as your US account. Download netflix. Then when you switch back to UK it will have to wipe the card again so you will lose the app and then log back into your UK account with a blank card.

The only way to do it is have a second card with US stuff on it only. However every time you want to use it for that you would still have to reset the vita to factory defaults, go through the intro movie again and have your bubbles appear randomly all over the place.

A lot of effort really.

I hope they bring it over to Europe as stuff looks really good on the vita screen.

Lol what?all this because of JSR vita?the game is nothing special graphically and the platform is easy to develop for since it has off the shelf mobile components and going by the dev interviews,ngp presentation.

the game is nothing special graphically and the platform is easy to develop

You reply to yourself, and while the early reports told about how easy is to develop for PSV, we're still with developers stating issues known from the PS2 era.
And since the launch we're still stuck with many subnative res and techical hiccups.

My point is that even after all this time, Sony can't help developers like it's supposed.
Hope you understand I'm not focusing on PSV, I'm talking about Sony devices in general.

magawolaz

Even if LBP Vita is not native res, the amount of AA makes the game really pretty.
I hope they'll do the same in the next Uncharted and Gravity Rush

Akkad

Banned
You reply to yourself, and while the early reports told about how easy is to develop for PSV, we're still with developers stating issues known from the PS2 era.
And since the launch we're still stuck with many subnative res and techical hiccups.

My point is that even after all this time, Sony can't help developers like it's supposed.
Hope you understand I'm not focusing on PSV, I'm talking about Sony devices in general.

What issues? Do you have any links?

Sid

Sub native res and framerate hiccups will always be there just like on any other system and no i was not replying to myself i meant even if the game was graphically complex the hardware is easy to develop for.

I have been playing user created levels in lbp, and is it just me or do the user levels look cleaner than the story levels? I thought the story levels had too much bloom and instagram effect, but I am blown away by some of the user levels. And they are fun to boot.

PaulLFC

not sure what you mean.

Basically if you switch accounts from UK to US it will wipe the card. Then you log on as your US account. Download netflix. Then when you switch back to UK it will have to wipe the card again so you will lose the app and then log back into your UK account with a blank card.

The only way to do it is have a second card with US stuff on it only. However every time you want to use it for that you would still have to reset the vita to factory defaults, go through the intro movie again and have your bubbles appear randomly all over the place.

A lot of effort really.

I hope they bring it over to Europe as stuff looks really good on the vita screen.
Ah I forgot it'd wipe the card again when switching back from US to UK. Stupid decision from Sony.

What issues? Do you have any links?

You'll just need to follow the news, CAVE canceled two titles, KONAMI had RISING PSV announced at a conference, and now? nothing. Trendy Entertainment has a very easy to port title (DunDef) but decided to "save resources", Irrational shifted back the Bioshock PSV staff to Bioshock Infinite, plus there is that dungeon crawler (can't recall the name) in development hell that was handed to first party studios to be completed months ago, and there are no news.

And this is just parts of the whole situation, there are surely more, but I can't recall all of them.

Sub native res and framerate hiccups will always be there just like on any other system and no i was not replying to myself i meant even if the game was graphically complex the hardware is easy to develop for.

So we're fine that even with such a "easy" situation, there are issues.
Why can't I tell I'm not happy with how they handle this stuff?

I love the platform and bought a lot of stuff to support it, still, I'm not satisfied about their work, is it in my rights to do so?

Sid

You'll just need to follow the news, CAVE canceled two titles, KONAMI had RISING PSV announced at a conference, and now? nothing. Trendy Entertainment has a very easy to port title (DunDef) but decided to "save resources", Irrational shifted back the Bioshock PSV staff to Bioshock Infinite, plus there is that dungeon crawler (can't recall the name) in development hell that was handed to first party studios to be completed months ago, and there are no news.

And this is just parts of the whole situation, there are surely more, but I can't recall all of them.

So we're fine that even with such a "easy" situation, there are issues.
Why can't I tell I'm not happy with how they handle this stuff?

I love the platform and bought a lot of stuff to support it, still, I'm not satisfied about their work, is it in my rights to do so?
Absolutely,i'd like better looking and running games too even on the consoles and i hope the tech/tools improve/mature in the future.

Foshy

After their two horrible pieces of garbage (MAG and fake Socom 4) I just didn't want to touch any other Zipper game,I even wanted a shooter on Vita and didn't get it because of the two other games.

So yeah, it's the dead studio fault not me.

what

What didn't you like about MAG? IMO, it was pretty awesome.

Jeez, why didn't we know about this before today?

Typical delay BS.. a lot of devs have been waiting until the day it comes out to mention anything about a delay lately. Some (Konami) have even let release days pass by, only to mention a delay later, probably when someone brought it up at a board meeting. At least they mentioned it's due to optimizing the port, so hopefully it isn't that long of a wait.

Just got my 32 GB mem card in the mail today, had a fun time getting most of my PSN games I bought for my PSPGo on there. Went from 29 GB space down to under 8, feels good man to have them all on there now and not need to shuffle between my PC and the system.

Although the fact 8 of my games can't be played on there is annoying. I would really love to be able to play Valkyria Chronicles 2,Pursuit Force, Fat Princess, Power Stone Collection and Tomba on the thing. Would be nice if Sony or whoever it is would work on getting the rest of the back catalog that doesn't work for some reason working :/

Also playing lots of Motorstorm RC lately on it, its just such a fun game to pick and play in random short bursts.

Oh if anyone wants to, feel free to add me, the username is flamecondor64

Hey guys!

Maybe with the Playstation Store getting an update, we'll start getting the actual content updates at a reasonable time every Tuesday.

Right?!

Right.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom