• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 5 | The handheld who would be King

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGRE

Banned
Improving the PSV : release a Basestation

all it needs is to take the docking station - expand it out to have HDMI and a 2.5 inch HDD expansion dock/USB, and a vita memory card read/writer.

Once connected to the Vita you could theoretically download games through the vita to the HDD dock.

So you can have a "companion" small form piece of hardware that you can take on your travels that acts as a base that could contain all your games, music, videos, etc. from which you can also copy over or watch/play on a TV.

... okay, probably not THAT much appeal of such a device, but i'd be all over it.

Yeah the docking station is basically the PS3 and thats what they tried to market in the beginning, but it didn't work.

Carl

Haha....yeah probably T_T
I think I can be totally good with the 16GB.
Currently rocking a 4GB haha and the more stuff I get digitally the more I like it.

I thought that. Now eyeing a 32GB.

I think my girlfriend has bought me one for my birthday. Problem is my birthday isn't until November and there a lot of big games between now and then :(

I thought that. Now eyeing a 32GB.

I think my girlfriend has bought me one for my birthday. Problem is my birthday isn't until November and there a lot of big games between now and then :(

How many Vita games on average does a 16GB hold would you say?

And there are way too many games coming out. I figure swapping out games with my PS3 probably isn't that hard to do yeah? I'm kinda confused about that whole situation though...I'll figure it out eventually.

OmegaZero

My 32GB's been getting a lot of use.
I'm considering purchasing another one just so I can fit all the games I want for next year too.

zroid

Banned
The optimal use case for 16GB is not downloading retail games, but some PSN, PSP and PS1 games.

As a sensible and frugal individual, I have no plans on buying retail games anywhere but at retail :p

16GB is fine for me.

kuroshiki

Haha....yeah probably T_T
I think I can be totally good with the 16GB.
Currently rocking a 4GB haha and the more stuff I get digitally the more I like it.

I thought I was happy with 32G.

now I'm anxiously waiting for 64g's arrival.

Man Vita is some kick ass movie player. anime on this thing is so good.

Carl

How many Vita games on average does a 16GB hold would you say?

And there are way too many games coming out. I figure swapping out games with my PS3 probably isn't that hard to do yeah? I'm kinda confused about that whole situation though...I'll figure it out eventually.

If you're just putting PSN type games on it you should be fine. My problem is being mostly digital with my retail PSV games.

Switching between PS3 and Vita is fairly easy. Just download them on your PS3, hook your Vita up to it and transfer games to it. I've never done it, but i believe that's the way it works.

If you're just putting PSN type games on it you should be fine. My problem is being mostly digital with my retail PSV games.

Switching between PS3 and Vita is fairly easy. Just download them on your PS3, hook your Vita up to it and transfer games to it. I've never done it, but i believe that's the way it works.

Yeah that's what I did with Gravity Rush. The thing I'm semi-confused about is backing up digital retail games and what I can/can't delete. I'm afraid of losing save data haha.
And on a 16GB card I could fit at least like 3 (ideally 4 or 5) retail digital vita games on there right? If backing up and restoring games through my PS3 isn't that time consuming that should fulfill my needs

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah that's what I did with Gravity Rush. The thing I'm semi-confused about is backing up digital retail games and what I can/can't delete. I'm afraid of losing save data haha.
And on a 16GB card I could fit at least like 3 (ideally 4 or 5) retail digital vita games on there right? If backing up and restoring games through my PS3 isn't that time consuming that should fulfill my needs

You can back it all up - but atm save files are packed with the game as well so you have to backup both although there is a time-saving trick you can do if backing up to a computer.

4 retail games sounds about right if you are picking up a few psn/ps1/psp/mini games too.

It is time consuming :p 2 hours-ish for a fullbackup, around 10 minutes per game..maybe a bit less. It's not quick by any means..

Noi

I'm starting to run out of space on my 32GB. But as an owner of an 80GB PS3 and a 2GB PSP stick up to 2011, I've gotten extremely good at micro-managing my data on my computer.
KuGsj.gif

You can back it all up - but atm save files are packed with the game as well so you have to backup both although there is a time-saving trick you can do if backing up to a computer.

4 retail games sounds about right if you are picking up a few psn/ps1/psp/mini games too.

It is time consuming :p 2 hours-ish for a fullbackup, around 10 minutes per game..

Okay well that's....Okay that's pretty bad wow.
And when you say they're packed with the game do you mean backing up the game = backing up the game + save?

Carl

Yeah you have to back up the whole game file at the minute - that will backup the save too as they are bundled together.

As for what you can fit on a 16GB, this is what i have

12 PSN games
6 full retail games
3 retail cart installs
6 Minis
2 PSOne games
4 "apps"

Skyzard

Banned
Okay well that's....Okay that's pretty bad wow.
And when you say they're packed with the game do you mean backing up the game = backing up the game + save?

They're a little on the safe side - the estimates..you'll be able to get quite a lot of other digital titles on there too..

Yes that is what I meant..so it's not ideal for regular save backups unless you use a PC (for the cancellation trick to copy the save file)...I'm not sure if it is faster when overwriting though..

They're a little on the safe side - the estimates..you'll be able to get quite a lot of other digital titles on there too..

Yes that is what I meant..so it's not ideal for regular save backups unless you use a PC (for the cancellation trick to copy the save file)...I'm not sure if it is faster when overwriting though..

Yeah you have to back up the whole game file at the minute - that will backup the save too as they are bundled together.

As for what you can fit on a 16GB, this is what i have

12 PSN games
6 full retail games
3 retail cart installs
6 Minis
2 PSOne games
4 "apps"

Okay cool, thank you for the answers guys. Definitely stocked to get my bigger memory card. But at the moment it looks like it's basically $60 wherever I look. Which is kinda a bummer

zroid

Banned
Okay cool, thank you for the answers guys. Definitely stocked to get my bigger memory card. But at the moment it looks like it's basically $60 wherever I look. Which is kinda a bummer

Are you in the US? It's $46 at Amazon.com

If Canada, I believe there is a 20% off everything sale at Shoppers in a few days -- you could get it then. It'd come to $48.
EDIT: also 15% off at futureshop.ca right now, apparently

Twinduct

Hmm .. if they can't even get ZOE to run at a stable 30 (let alone 60 .. god that would be crazy) framerate on a damn HD console, then its perhaps best that the vita version didn't show up.

Whose handling the port?

Are you in the US? It's $46 at Amazon.com

If Canada, I believe there is a 20% off everything sale at Shoppers in a few days -- you could get it then. It'd come to $48.
EDIT: also 15% off at futureshop.ca right now, apparently

I'm in the US. Will definitely check out Amazon, I assume there's shipping attached to that too though. I've actually never gotten anything from them. I'm gonna give like eBay a peak too. Just to see.

OmegaZero

Hmm .. if they can't even get ZOE to run at a stable 30 (let alone 60 .. god that would be crazy) framerate on a damn HD console, then its perhaps best that the vita version didn't show up.

Whose handling the port?

As mentioned above, High Voltage Software.

EDIT: Beaten like Shu.

Takao

Banned
I've never played Earth Defense Force, so I have no interest in the Vita version =p

Killing giant bugs is universal.

Oh no..is that game's framerate poor too? Was looking forward to that..

All EDF games have poor frame rates. It happens when tonnes of bugs swarm you while buildings simultaneously collapse around you. Like every single one dips, lol.

zroid

Banned
I'm in the US. Will definitely check out Amazon, I assume there's shipping attached to that too though. I've actually never gotten anything from them. I'm gonna give like eBay a peak too. Just to see.

I think Amazon ships free over $25? That might just be Amazon.ca though. Yep, same for .com!

I think Amazon ships free over $25? That might just be Amazon.ca though. Yep, same for .com!

Oooh excellent! Thanks for the help. That much for 16GB isn't that bad I guess. I'm surprised other companies haven't made their own at cheaper prices...I always thought that was a thing that happened.

Skyzard

Banned
Killing giant bugs is universal.

All EDF games have poor frame rates. It happens when tonnes of bugs swarm you while buildings simultaneously collapse around you. Like every single one dips, lol.

I remember trying it out a long time ago but barely remember it...the gameplay vids looked quite fun though and I had a similar idea for a game so I am curious to try it out still... do you know if it is usually a decent tradeoff? Like shitloads of bugs...or only a few and it starts to slow already...

Noi

I remember trying it out a long time ago but barely remember it...the gameplay vids looked quite fun though and I had a similar idea for a game so I am curious to try it out still... is it a decent tradeoff usually? Like shitloads of bugs...or only a few and it starts to slow already...

There is no such thing as "only a few" in EDF. It's either all or nothing.

prwxv3

I must be some sort of record for all non-OT vita thread to diverge into the same arguments and jokes. Even when its a thread about a good vita announcement. Vita is dead and has no games jokes were funny for the first couple of threads. The once in a while portbegging in vita semi-/exclusive game threads are also starting to get on my nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom